Sin City

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

I got to see a free preview in Atlanta. I was there on vacation, and my friend who gets free passes to movies, let me come with him to see it. All I have to say is fucking awesome. Good performances all around, I think Rouke as Marv was the best. It doesn't have all the sex and gore of the original, but it still does pretty good. It was around or over two hours, but it was worth every minute of it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never read the comics before, but one day I happened to look at the original trailer for it and have been wanting to see this movie ever since. But I do wonder if this movie will still be good for people who have never read thew books? I hope so because I am really looking forward to seeing this.

And I too thought it was 3 stories: "Sin City", "The Big Fat Kill" and "That Yellow Bastard." Atleast according to IMDb.

I think Hartnett is alright, but he has a certain Randy Orton effect to him... I just can't seem to like him. He isn't a horrible actor but I think people shit on him a little extra just because of that x-factor.

You can't go wrong with a cast like that....especially if they're in a graphic novel directed by Robert Radriegez and Frank Miller :P

The new trailer looks awseome, I'll be catching this film on April 5th(cheap night=Tuesdays)

The first review as stated earlier is up, and I'm glad the film has a good amount of gore....especially with the material they're working with.

As for Hartnett, he's not bad at all....just meh, nothing cringe worthy, and plus if my girlfriend finds out that I made fun of him, she'll kill me(same goes with Usher, Hayden Christensen, Leonardo Dicaprio)

I saw the prievew for Sin City when I went to see Constantine. Probably one of the highlights of the night. The style is pretty awesome and the cast seems respectable, even if they did take the wrong Terminator 3 actor.

Oh, Constantine is worth seeing if you like Rachel Weisz's boobs.

Edited by SeanDMan

Oh, sorry. Forgot about this. >_>

Well, I realized a couple of weeks ago that the books are numbered on the side, and thus far this is in the order they are listed in -

1) The Hard Goodbye

2) A Dame To Kill For

3) The Big Fat Kill

4) That Yellow Bastard

5) Family Values

And I'm guessing the story with Wallace ("To Hell & Back" or something like that) will by #6, with lucky number seven being the book with all the short stories.

****1/2 out of *****

Went to opening night... I must say I was impressed. It feels just like the comic. So many of the performances are dead on what you'd expect.

The only downfall? The dialogue works well in the comic, but on-screen some of it feels cheesy. There were several snickers in the audience when dialogue that sounds dated from the 40's-50's is used. However, true die-hards of Miller's Sin City will mark out for every frame.

Shadows, lightining, even the use of white silhouettes with black backgrounds are used heavily in the comics and you see much of that here as well.

Another bonus is the minimal use of color that Miller uses in the comics too, used only to highlight certain, and usually important details of those characters.

As a HUGE fan of the comic I say this movie is a must-see, but to the casual fan, they might get a sense of the noir-feel, finding it either unique or tedious, and perhaps feel a bit puzzled by the disconnected stories.

Personally I loved the dialogue, especially by Marv.

I don't see how you can fault the movie in capturing the feel of an old noir with it's dialogue as that's what it was intended to do.

Edited by Pepsi

Guest Grapehead

Me and my girlfriend ended up at this on a whim, we were out shopping and I said "hey let's go see Sin City"(cause I did really want to see it, and she had a small desire to as well). It was Friday, which is basically opening night here, I don't know how your movie theatres work, but here it's Friday for the most part. Anyways, I was blown away, as I wasn't expecting much, but got a whole lot of awesome. The action was great, the story and dialogue was engaging(my girlfriend mentioned at one point she looked over to me to say something and was surprised to see me in full colour), and the way everything was put together to give a comic book feel, it was brilliant. I also must say I marked out when Alba was dancing, and had the urge to cry out "damn you Willis" when they kissed, haha.

I though that movie was very good...Bruce Willis character was the most developed I think, but I marked for Marv the best, his character was just pure badass. I never have seen any of the comics, so I didn't know what to expect, at first I didn't think much of it, but as the movie went on, it won me over. I was very shocked with just how big the cast was, from top to bottom. I'd also been shocked with all the nudity, which I wasn't expecting, as well as some great action spots...every man in the theatre I was in would cringe at some of the ugly hurtful scenes.

My, my, my, where to begin?

I absolutely loved the movie. I was a little bit offed at first when I saw Madson's delivery of his first few lines to Bruce. I thought he sort of over played the comic vibe in their opening sequence. By the end he was much better.

Willis' character Hartigan was definately the best developed, and had some of the best lines in the film... (ie the palsy line, then I'll punch out god etc...)

Marv was the most badass of the characters, and certainly the best performed. It is easy to see how people used to say that Mickey Rourke was going to be the next Brando before he slipped into retirement. I am glad to see that he is out. (sidenote, has he made anything that wasn't done by troublemaker since returning?)

Clive Owen's sequences with a dead Benicio were great. It reminded me of Lord of the Flies for a little bit. I am not a big Rosario Dawson fan, and her acting in these scenes bolstered that for me.