Explain to me the plots of movies

Your Mom

I like Donnie Darko because it's so open to interpretation. It's rare to find a movie these days that can have so many different possible meanings. I liked the fact that it didn't explain anything at the end and just left you to fill in the blanks.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I'm with Lanky, a little bit of thinking doesn't hurt, but when it gets to the degree that people are writing theories about it on the internet, I'm not interested.

Donnie Darko is held high amongst internet users and film critics, but theres a reason why its priced at £5 in all the shops, and thats because the average person hasn't got the time for it.

You know the world is in a sorry state of affairs when Patrick Swayze playing the part of a paedophile doesn't pull in the ratings.

• 2 months later...

I like Donny Darko, it´s not anywear near as good as manny People talk it, it´s more like the Ideots version of a movie you have to use your head to get whats going on, most of it is realy simple and easy to understand (thats what makes it "bad) but you don´t get served with every bullshit aspect of the story by the movie itself. Kinda like SPartan just in another way, i bet if Spartan dident have a story that had been don a zillion times before in the "usual" way it would be a cult movie, it´s realy simple to get but it´s still not telling you everything if you shut your brain down compledly like the people manny movies aim for are.

Someone talk JHS into whatching some lynch stuff, that could be so much fun right here, right now.

I'll help with Mulholland Drive, I know Lynch is confusing MoFo so here we go:

A woman (Laura Elena Harring) suffing from amnesia so she is help by another woman (Naomi Watts) and somehow doing the film (I think) they are lost lovers. Plus the film deals with small black box ala Hellraiser.

Edited by EWFan2004

• 18 years later...
On 11/05/2005 at 23:14, EWFan2004 said:

I'll help with Mulholland Drive, I know Lynch is confusing MoFo so here we go:

A woman (Laura Elena Harring) suffing from amnesia so she is help by another woman (Naomi Watts) and somehow doing the film (I think) they are lost lovers. Plus the film deals with small black box ala Hellraiser.

I think that Mulholland Dr is, in many ways, another nod by David Lynch to that work which has influenced him more than any other - The Wizard of Oz. With sprinklings of many of his other major influences, specifically Sunset Boulevard. It is a web between dreams and reality written and presented under a thematic umbrella of the dark side of Hollywood. How you separate the dreams from the reality I think may come down to how you perceive reality - are you a believer in people's goodness or are you a cynic or somewhere in between?

This is also similar my take on Lost Highway and especially Inland Empire. A same philosophy runs throughout.

Anyway David Lynch probably doesn't want anyone to interpret his art the same as another person interprets it so all answers are correct.

Also don't care that I responded to a post 19 years old - always a good opportunity to talk David Lynch.

• Like 1

I'd ask someone to go watch Neon Demon and see if they can figure out the plot, but there's not really anyone here I dislike or hate to wish that waste of film on. Keanu Reeves must have done someone a favor or been blackmailed into it. Worst move I've ever seen, hands down. 

On 06/01/2024 at 10:26, K said:

would anyone like me to explain the plot of the meg to them?

A bunch of pieces of shit can't stop bothering a megaladon shark that is minding its own business until the finally prod him one time too many. 

• Sad 1