Fightstar

Steeb

Yes, because Kerrang knows what its talking about. They give shit music good reviews and good bands shit reviews

In your opinion.

In my opinion, Kerrang usually gets it spot on with most bands. I can't think off the top of my head about a review I've totally disagreed with.

Yes, because Kerrang knows what its talking about. They give shit music good reviews and good bands shit reviews

In your opinion.

In my opinion, Kerrang usually gets it spot on with most bands. I can't think off the top of my head about a review I've totally disagreed with.

They pissed on Vex Red, that made me angry.

My problem with Kerrang is they change their opinions pretty easily; one week someone is the next big thing and the next they're slated.

Vex Red are awful, that's why.

And also, they have more then one critic and more then one reporter. So, its not the magazine changing its opinions, its having different people (with different opinions) covering the same band. Not everyone on the staff of Kerrang! will like the same band, so the coverage from one to the other will be different.

Vex Red are more than decent and I remember the review was overly critical, not even helpful critical merely "This is bad... That is bad..." rather than getting into specifics. Fuck critics anyway, most of them are just angry because they can't be musicians because they either aren't talented enough or are too ugly to be in N'Sync.

Vex Red are more than decent and I remember the review was overly critical, not even helpful critical merely "This is bad... That is bad..." rather than getting into specifics. Fuck critics anyway, most of them are just angry because they can't be musicians because they either aren't talented enough or are too ugly to be in N'Sync.

Magazine reviews aren't supposed to be helpful when they are being critical. And surely if they are saying "this is bad...that is bad" then that is going into specifics?

Hey, I'm always gonna argue for the magazines, as I wanna be a music journo myself. The only magazine I've ever had a problem with is NME, and that's due to thier coverage of Pete Doherty/The Libertines/Babyshambles being way too OTT, and taking over during certain issues.

And I'll maintain that Vex Red are a poor band, and I've never read any good reviews of theres by a reputable source.

I meant "this song is bad.., that song is bad.." rather than commenting on the arrangements. And whilst a music critic shouldn't be helpful, the best ones at least quantify what they say by reference to the music like a literature critic does with a novel. Kerrang also stated that if you listen to Breaking Benjamin, you can hear the influence from Tool - can you? It's a magazine of generalisations, IMO, that has major hard ons for average bands for little to no reason - See Linkin Park par example. The articles are, by and large trash, and who the fuck thinks up the photograpy? I remember one with Danii Filth eating raw sausage with ketchup. Seriously, what the fuck?

And I'll agree with the NME/Libertine front, the only major music magazines I like are Q and (very) occasionally Mojo.

Good luck if you want to be a critic, but always try and quantify your stance on music - because I'm sure it's one thing to get a bad review, it's quite another to get a bad, general review that doesn't help someone to understand just what exactly people don't like.

I meant "this song is bad.., that song is bad.." rather than commenting on the arrangements. And whilst a music critic shouldn't be helpful, the best ones at least quantify what they say by reference to the music like a literature critic does with a novel. Kerrang also stated that if you listen to Breaking Benjamin, you can hear the influence from Tool - can you? It's a magazine of generalisations, IMO, that has major hard ons for average bands for little to no reason - See Linkin Park par example. The articles are, by and large trash, and who the fuck thinks up the photograpy? I remember one with Danii Filth eating raw sausage with ketchup. Seriously, what the fuck?

As I said, it's an opinion thing, so if they are pro-Linkin Park, then they are, not much we can do about it. Bands that you may believe are average, are obviously going to be liked by some people. Too many people just hate a magazine as thier bands are not rated highly, which is fucking stupid.

I've never heard Breaking Benjamin, but I also think Kerrang! are usually spot on when they say stuff like that. Nearly every band wears thier influences on thier sleeves these days, so it's not too hard to find them. Not too sure with the Tool thing though, as most bands don't use Tool as an influence, more as a band to rip-off (and fail miserably).

The articles are usually tied in with new releases/tours/other stuff, so I wouldn't say they were trash, as they are talking to the people who are relevant at that current time. What else is a rock/metal magazine supposed to do?

And if I hate a song, there isn't always going to be a specific reason (oh, that part at 1:53 wasn't fast enough, and the drums were tinny) so I think is is fair enough to say you dislike a song without giving a specific reason. Hardly any magazines do that, as otherwise the reviews would be waayyyy too long.

In your opinion.

Nobody can agree with their review of Eminem's album. I don't tend to read the reviews, really. I don't tend to read anything in Kerrang!, except Pandora. Which isn't funny.

And what was thier review of his album then?

Or do you mean the mere fact that Eminem was in it?

My friend bought this Kerrang magazine dedicated entirely to punk music and the biggest feature in it was an interview with one of the guys from Good Charlotte.

Fuck Kerrang. They gladly slate Avril Lavigne in their magazine and then play her videos on their music channel and radio stations. Its bullshit like that, that makes me annoyed about them. They'll attack random British pop punk band records because they don't like pop punk and then dedicate their main features to Blink182 and Good Charlotte.

Also, have they finished with that time where they labelled absolutely everything "emo"? Have they stopped jacking off all over Nirvana and how no band is better than them in history? Have they stopped labelling Agnostic Front as racists?

Fuck Kerrang. They gladly slate Avril Lavigne in their magazine and then play her videos on their music channel and radio stations. Its bullshit like that, that makes me annoyed about them. They'll attack random British pop punk band records because they don't like pop punk and then dedicate their main features to Blink182 and Good Charlotte.

Also, have they finished with that time where they labelled absolutely everything "emo"? Have they stopped jacking off all over Nirvana and how no band is better than them in history? Have they stopped labelling Agnostic Front as racists?

All magazines went through the emo phase, because emo's become big recently.And whats wrong with thinking Nirvana are the best band of all time? Every magazine has thier favourite bands that they are always proclaiming to be the best, and Nirvana are a viable contender for that kinda praise. I dunno about the Agnostic Front thing, so I'm not gonna answer that.

And don't be an idiot about what they play and cover, they have to cover the whole spectrum of rock/metal acts. Even if they may not like Good Charlotte, they have to cover what the fans of the magazine may or may not like. Enough of thier readers are GC fans, I'm sure, as not everyone hates them. Also, they may slate Avril Lavigne, but she's alternative enough for fans of Kerrang to like her, and if they didn't play her, just as many people would complain as rejoice. Kerrang! could slaughter any band, but they'd still need to cover thier movements, as not everyone will agree with thier opinions.

All magazines went through the emo phase, because emo's become big recently.And whats wrong with thinking Nirvana are the best band of all time? Every magazine has thier favourite bands that they are always proclaiming to be the best, and Nirvana are a viable contender for that kinda praise. I dunno about the Agnostic Front thing, so I'm not gonna answer that.

1. As I said already, loads of magazines did that, so hating on Kerrang! for it is rubbish.

2. Many people believe that Nirvana are the best band of all time, "Nevermind" is the greatest record, and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is the greatest single, so if Kerrang! do as well, then so be it. I read Kerrang! often enough to know that they don't go on about it every week as you seem to claim they do, but if they believe that Nirvana were the best/most important band ever, then so be it. Every magazine sucks off one band in particular, thats always the way it is.

3. I think I read what you were talking about. Weren't Agnostic Front rumoured to be racists though? I wouldn't know, this is more just a question than anything.

Kerrang Radio is really wide-ranging as well.

My mate works there and I've played five-a-side with the guys who work at the station...During the day it's all pop and hip hop anyways...

I've never been a big fan of Kerrang in any format.

I prefer NME apart from their whole hard-on over The Libertines thing...