Wrestle Association "R"

Agahnim Demen

8th May 2005

Wrestle Association "R" President Masatomo Takei and Owner Genichiro Tenryu held a press conference wherein they would discuss the details of the upcoming 'WAR On NOAH' Tokyo Dome show, on the 25th of May.

Before touching on the cross-promotional event, Takei added that he heard the recent request of Super Shisa and Kengo Mashimo. He said that he would allow them a chance at the WAR International Junior Heavyweight Titles on the basis that Shisa can prove that his pin fall over Darkness Dragon was not merely some fluke. Shisa would face K-Ness at the next WAR show.

On to the 'WAR On NOAH' event; Takei and Tenryu stated that they had no surprises for the press beyond the card for the event itself, of which they feel will be strong enough to aid Pro Wrestling NOAH.

WAR On NOAH!

Tokyo Dome

25/05/05

1. Tiger Emperor user posted image v Masato Yoshino

2. Go Shiosaki user posted image v Katsuyori Shibata

3. Tamon Honda user posted image v Andrei Arlovski

4. Kendo Kashin, Kazunari Murakami & Dragon Kid v Milano Collection AT, MOCHI & Ishi Mori

5. Takashi Sugiura user posted image & Mohammed Yone user posted image v Jushin Thunder Liger & Jinsei Shinzaki

6. Yoshinobu Kanemaru user posted image v CIMA

7. Naomichi Marufuji user posted image v The Great Sasuke

8. Genichiro Tenryu, Magnum TOKYO & K-Ness v Riki Choshu, Satoru Sayama & Super Shisa

9. Akira Taue user posted image & Toshiaki Kawada v Takeshi Rikioh user posted image & Takeshi Morishima user posted image

10. Kensuke Sasaki v Kenta Kobashi user posted image

Tenryu continued to speak on what was being referred to as a "Revolution Dream Match" between Kensuke Sasaki and Kenta Kobashi, where too of the toughest individuals in all of pro wrestling will clash, two workers who embody their respective promotions. This match will be for one fall only, and will have a thirty minute time limit.

Edited by Ganon Dun

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10th May 2005

A press conference was held featuring Wrestle Association "R" President Masatomo Takei, and 57 year old wrestling veteran Yoshiaki Fujiwara. When the press heard the conference was taking place, they were told that its only purpose was to reveal the card for the final stage of the tour before the SUPER REVOLUTION 2005 show in Osaka. However there was a surprise in order for these members of the press, as this would be where Yoshiaki Fujiwara would announce his retirement.

user posted image

On the 30th May 2005, five days after the WAR On NOAH event, there will be a Yoshiaki Fujiwara Retirement Show, where Fujiwara will have his final match. His opponent for the night will be none other than Wrestle Association "R" announcer, long time rival and partner Akira Maeda, who would be coming out of retirement for this one show. The event will be MMA orientated, featuring several workers who have appeared in Pro Wrestling Fujiwara-Gumi, ZERO-ONE and UWF/UWFi or MMA in some shape or form; in recognition of the fact that Fujiwara was one of, if not the first wrestler to adopt a shoot fighting type style in the ring. The non-WAR workers involved so far are Ken Shamrock (UFC) and Naoya Ogawa (ZERO-ONE MAX, HUSTLE & NJPW). The card provided is not final, as there may be matches added to the show, or the card could be subject to change.

YOSHIAKI FUJIWARA RETIREMENT SHOW

Tokyo Korakuen Hall

30/05/05

1. Kengo Mashimo v Tokimitsu Ishizawa

2. Shiro Koshinaka, Katsuyori Shibata & Naohiro Hoshikawa v Tatsumi Fujinami, Nobutaka Araya & Nobukazu Hirai

3. Ken Shamrock user posted image v Kazunari Murakami

4. Yoshihiro Takayama & Kazuyuki Fujita v Riki Choshu & Ryuma Go

5. Andrei Arlovski v Nobuhiko Takada

6. Kensuke Sasaki v Minoru Suzuki

7. Genichiro Tenryu & Toshiaki Kawada v Masaaki Satake & Naoya Ogawa user posted image

8. Fujiwara Retirement Match: Yoshiaki Fujiwara v Akira Maeda

Where there current tour was concerned however, this is how the last two shows are shaping up;

WAR: SUPER REVOLUTION SERIES 2005

Kumamoto Hungnam Hall

11/05/05

1. Katsuyori Shibata v Yoshiaki Fujiwara

2. Kendo Kashin & Kazunari Murakami v Milano Collection AT & MOCHI

3. Darkness Dragon v Super Shisa

4. Lion Heart & Magnum TOKYO v Jinsei Shinzaki & Kengo Mashimo

5. Yoshihiro Asai, Satoru Sayama & Great Sasuke vs Jushin Thunder Liger, Masato Yoshino & Dragon Kid

6. Japan J-1 Heavyweight Title Qualifier: Toshiaki Kawada v Tatsumi Fujinami

7. Kensuke Sasaki, Nobutaka Araya & Riki Choshu v Genichiro Tenryu, Yoshihiro Takayama & Andrei Arlovski

WAR: SUPER REVOLUTION 2005

Osaka Castle Hall

18/05/05

1. Generation Gap: Masato Yoshino v Satoru Sayama

2. Generation Gap: Yoshihiro Asai v Dragon Kid

3. Generation Gap: Katsuyori Shibata v Tatsumi Fujinami

4. WAR International Junior Heavyweight Title: Jushin Thunder Liger © v The Great Sasuke

5. WAR Japan J-1 Heavyweight Title: Kensuke Sasaki © v ?

Edited by Ganon Dun

WAR SUPER REVOLUTION SERIES 11/05/05

A rumoured 2,000 sell out the Kumamoto Hungnam Hall for this WAR show, the final show before the big Osaka finale. Toshiaki Kawada will finds himself facing off against Tatsumi Fujinami to determine whether or not he gets to face Kensuke Sasaki for the Japan J-1 Heavyweight Title. Fujinami looks to redeem himself after a rough first tour for WAR.

1. Katsuyori Shibata v Yoshiaki Fujiwara

Shibata takes on another veteran, in Fujiwara's second last match of his career. Fujiwara seems somewhat distracted coming into the match, whereas Shibata comes in looking very focused and very aggressive. The focus of Shibata more than pays off as he manages to overcome Fujiwara when he hits him with a Fishermans Buster.

2. Kendo Kashin & Kazunari Murakami v Milano Collection AT & MOCHI

The regular team of Kashin and Murakami take on two thirds of the Italian Connection in what has become a personal rivalry of one-upsmanship. The chemistry of Murakami and Kashin is evident in this bout, and in the end MOCHI taps to a Kashin Cross Armbreaker to conclude the match. Backstage after the match, Milano demands to face Kashin in Osaka, seemingly tired with the dirty tactics and bad attitude of Kashin and Murakami.

3. Darkness Dragon v Super Shisa

One half of the WAR International Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champions Darkness Dragon takes on Super Shisa in a match to determine whether or not the team of Shisa and Mashimo will take on Do FIXER for those titles. A very exciting high flying battle ensues, that eventually came to its conclusion when Shisa caught K-Ness off guard with a Springboard Missile Dropkick.

4. Lion Heart & Magnum TOKYO v Jinsei Shinzaki & Kengo Mashimo

The second half of the WAR International Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champions Magnum TOKYO teams up with Lion Heart to take on Jinsei Shinzaki and Kengo Mashimo, who along with Super Shisa would now be facing TOKYO and K-Ness for those titles in Osaka. Lion Heart exposes Mashimo's lack of experience however, and manages to trap him in Lion Tamer to get the submission victory.

5. Yoshihiro Asai, Satoru Sayama & Great Sasuke vs Jushin Thunder Liger, Masato Yoshino & Dragon Kid

The legends of junior wrestling take on a team consiting of another Junior legend, Jushin Thunder Liger, as he teams with Do FIXER member Masato Yoshino, and Dragon Kid who has recently turned on his old mentor, feeling that Asai was holding hi down. All six individuals create a very entertaining match, that has the fans on their feet as it comes to its conclusion. The Torbilleno from Yoshino on Sayama almost got the three, but the match was over when Asai was tagged in and hit Yoshino with the Asai DDT.

6. Japan J-1 Heavyweight Title Qualifier: Toshiaki Kawada v Tatsumi Fujinami

Kawada seems very prepared entering this match, however Fujinami seems equally focused, and seems to be in great condition. Kawada takes the bout in a very aggressive direction that catches Fujinami off guard, after what had been a very equal sporting bout. An enziguri followed by a Gamengiri take Fujinami off his feet, and give the fall to Kawada, solidifying his challenge for the Japan J-1 Heavyweight Title in the Osaka Castle Hall.

7. Kensuke Sasaki, Nobutaka Araya & Riki Choshu v Genichiro Tenryu, Yoshihiro Takayama & Andrei Arlovski

The Japan J-1 Heavyweight Champion Kensuke Sasaki teams with Nobutaka Araya and Riki Choshu in a match where Araya hopes to prove himself against Takayama, and also gain the respect of Tenryu, and where Riki Choshu hopes to lariat Arlovski, and MMA from pro wrestling. Takayama hit Sasaki with a huge chokeslam that almost finished Sasaki.. later in the bout Sasaki had managed to regather himself and hit Tenryu with a Nadowa Slam that also almost got the three. A lariat battle between Tenryu and Araya led to the end of this bout, when Tenryu toppled Araya and rolled him up for the fall.

WAR: SUPER REVOLUTION SERIES 2005, 11/05/05

Kumamoto Hungnam Hall

1,955 Fans

1. Katsuyori Shibata defeats Yoshiaki Fujiwara with a Fishermans Buster. (8:13)

2. Kendo Kashin & Kazunari Murakami defeat Milano Collection AT & MOCHI when MOCHI submits to a Cross Armbreaker from Kashin. (12:43)

3. Super Shisa defeats Darkness Dragon with a Springboard Missile Dropkick. (7:50)

4. Lion Heart & Magnum TOKYO defeat Jinsei Shinzaki & Kengo Mashimo when Mashimo submits to the Lion Tamer from Lion Heart. (13:11)

5. Yoshihiro Asai, Satoru Sayama & Great Sasuke defeat Jushin Thunder Liger, Masato Yoshino & Dragon Kid when Asai hits the Asai DDT on Yoshino. (17:43)

6. Japan J-1 Heavyweight Title Qualifier: Toshiaki Kawada defeats Tatsumi Fujinami with the Gamengiri. (13:42)

7. Genichiro Tenryu, Yoshihiro Takayama & Andrei Arlovski defeat Kensuke Sasaki, Nobutaka Araya & Riki Choshu when Tenryu hits Araya with a Lariat. (20:06)

Edited by Ganon Dun

13th May 2005

user posted image

Pro Wrestling NOAH Owner Kenta Kobashi spoke to the press about the promotion itself and the 'WAR On NOAH' event.

".. I am pleased that we have managed to come to an agreement with Tenryu-san and Takei-san, as the situation regarding Misawa-san and the financial difficulties have made these difficult times. This has taken a great toll on me emotionally, especially where KENTA's decision to depart is concerned, but I shall not hold it against him as his life is his own; similarly in the case of Akiyama. I hope that when we next meet that any difficulties regarding business will be put behind, and our friendship will remain as important as it has been. Ever since I lost the GHC Heavyweight Title, I have been training harder than ever and shall continue to do so for as long as NOAH stands.

I go into the Tokyo Dome extremely focused for this 'WAR On NOAH' event on 18/05, as I carry Pro Wrestling NOAH on my shoulders into this match against Kensuke Sasaki. Kensuke Sasaki is extremely powerful, and I have the greatest respect for what he is capable of in the ring, however I am confident that when he comes up against one more powerful than he, that he will faulter. The Burning Lariat is far stronger than any lariat Sasaki can throw, and he has little he can throw at me that I can not overcome. You are a strong champion Kensuke Sasaki, but I am stronger. I wish you the best of luck."

Edited by Ganon Dun

Guest CompletePlayer

That Fujiwara show at Korakuen is stacked. Although poor Fujiwara, his retirement would be overshadowed in the press by Maeda's return. Those three matches could easily draw a very good crowd to Sumo Hall or Budokan.

Also hope Shibata vs. Fujinami happens soon. It would be a close revival to the classic Maeda vs. Fujinami match from 1986.

Edited by CompletePlayer

14th May 2005

Some reporters managed to catch up with Toshiaki Kawada in a gym in Osaka, however he had little to say regarding his Osaka Castle Hall match for the Japan J-1 Heavyweight Title; claiming that he was too busy getting focused for the match, and wished to continue his training.

-------------------------------------

NikkanSports.com ran its first of several advertised articles that will be displayed throughout the next few weeks. Todays article looked at the history of the current Wrestle Association "R" titles.

- Taken from NikkanSports.com

Japan J-1 Heavyweight Title

Genichiro Tenryu - 14/01/98 - Tokyo

* Defeats Nobutaka Araya in 7-man

tournament final.

Kensuke Sasaki - 06/04/05 - Tokyo

* Defeats Genichiro Tenryu in 8-man

tournament final, when the title is revived.

Wrestle Association "R"

World 6-man Tag Team Title

Hiromichi Fuyuki & Gedo & Jado - 30/06/94 - Sendai

* Defeat Gen'ichiro Tenryu & Animal Hamaguchi & Kouki Kitahara in 8-team tournament final.

Bob Backlund & Warlord & Scott Putski - 26/08/94 - Yokohama

Hiromichi Fuyuki & Gedo & Jado [2] - 01/09/94 - Saku, Nagano

Shiro Koshinaka & Tatsutoshi Goto & Michiyoshi Ohara - 08/01/95 - Tokyo

Gen'ichiro Tenryu & Animal Hamaguchi & Kouki Kitahara - 30/04/95 - Tokyo

Hiromichi Fuyuki & Gedo & Jado [3] - 05/08/95 - Kagoshima

Kouki Kitahara & Arashi & Nobutaka Araya - 04/10/95 - Hamamatsu

Hiromichi Fuyuki & Gedo & Jado [4] - 22/03/96 - Hamamatsu

Youji Anjoh, Yoshihiro Takayama, & Ken'ichi Yamamoto - 26/05/96 - Yokohama

Hiromichi Fuyuki & Gedo & Jado [5] - 07/06/96 - Sapporo

* Vacate in 96/06/19 so that the new champions are determined in tournament.

Nobuhiko Takada, Yuuhi Sano, & Masahito Kakihara - 20/07/96 - Tokyo

* Defeat Hiromichi Fuyuki, Jado, & Gedo in 8-team tournament final.

Hiromichi Fuyuki, Youji Anjoh, & Bam Bam Bigelow - 11/10/96 - Osaka

Gen'ichiro Tenryu, Nobutaka Araya, Ultimo Dragon - 28/10/96 - Tokyo

* Tenryu abandons the title after winning it in order to create a heavyweight title.

Kouki Kitahara, Nobutaka Araya, & Lance Storm - 06/07/97 - Tokyo

* Defeat Mitsuharu Kitao, Nobukazu Hirai, & Tommy Dreamer when title is revived.

Mitsuharu Kitao, Nobukazu Hirai, & Masaaki Mochizuki - 27/10/97 - Isezaki

* Vacant in 98/07/01 when Kitao announces his retirement.

Yoshihiro Takayama, Kazuyuki Fujita & Minoru Suzuki - 06/04/05 - Tokyo

* Defeat Riki Choshu, Tatsumi Fujinami & Jinsei Shinzaki when title is revived.

International Junior Heavyweight Title

Gedo - 26/03/95 - Tokyo

* Defeats Lion Heart in 8-man tournament final.

Lion Heart - 04/06/95 - Tokyo

Ultimo Dragon - 28/07/95 - Tokyo

Gedo [2] - 29/08/95 - Shizuoka

Ultimo Dragon [2] - 05/10/95 - Oomiya, Saitama

The Great Sasuke - 05/08/96 - Tokyo

* Defeats Dragon in the final of J-Crown tournament to become octuple crown champion.

Ultimo Dragon - 11/10/96 - Osaka

* Wins Octuple Title.

Jushin Thunder Liger - 04/01/97 - Tokyo

* Wins Octuple Title.

Yuuji Yasuraoka - 06/06/97 - Tokyo

* Wins only International Title.

Masao Orihara - 15/01/99 - Tokyo

Masaaki Mochizuki - 01/03/99 - Tokyo

* Promotion closes in 2000.

Jushin Thunder Liger - 06/04/05 - Tokyo

* Defeats Satoru Sayama when title is revived.

International Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title

Lion Heart & Gedo - 23/02/96 - Sendai

* Defeat Lance Storm & Yuji Yasuraoka in 5-team round-robin tournament final.

Lance Storm & Yuji Yasuraoka - 27/03/96 - Nagoya

Jushin Thunder Liger & El Samurai - 20/07/96 - Tokyo

Lance Storm & Yuji Yasuraoka [2] - 09/11/96 - Tokyo

Masaaki Mochizuki & Battlanger - 12/02/97 - Toyohashi

Masashi Aoyagi & Gokuaku Umibouzu (Hirofumi Miura) - 31/05/97 - Tsu

Yuji Yasuraoka & Tomohiro Ishii - 12/10/97- Hachiohji

* Vacate on 97/10/18.

Masakazu Fukuda & Hiroyoshi Kotsubo - 24/11/97 - Yokohama

* Defeat Yuuji Yasuraoka & Tomohiro Ishii in 4-team tournament final; vacant on 98/08/04 when Fukuda moves up to the heavyweight division.

Shinjiro Ohtani & Tatsuhito Takaiwa - 11/12/98 - Tokyo

* Defeat Masao Orihara & Nariaki Mochizuki.

Yuji Yasuraoka & Tomohiro Ishii [2] - 01/03/99 - Tokyo

* Vacant on 99/06/20 when Yasuraoka retires; promotion closes in 2000.

Magnum TOKYO & Darkness Dragon - 06/04/05 - Tokyo

* Defeat Yoshihiro Asai & Dragon Kid when the title is revived.

The next article on NikkanSports.com will be a preview of the 18/05 Osaka Castle Hall event, Super Revolution 2005.

----------------------------

Masatomo Takei announced the full card for Super Revolution 2005 at a press conference today; and hinted that the next tour might feature a WAR Six Man Tag Team Title Tournament.

WAR: SUPER REVOLUTION 2005

Osaka Castle Hall

18/05/05

1. Susumu Yokosuka & Masao Orihara v Ishi Mori & MOCHI

2. Milano Collection AT v Kendo Kashin

3. WAR Six Man Tag Team Title: Yoshihiro Takayama, Kazuyuki Fujita & Minoru Suzuki © v Ryuma Go, Nobutaka Araya & Nobukazu Hirai

4. Generation Gap: Masato Yoshino v Satoru Sayama

5. WAR Interntional Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Magnum TOKYO & Darkness Dragon © v Super Shisa & Kengo Mashimo

6. Lion Heart v Jinsei Shinzaki

7. Generation Gap: Yoshihiro Asai v Dragon Kid

8. Andrei Arlovski v Riki Choshu

9. Generation Gap: Katsuyori Shibata v Tatsumi Fujinami

10. WAR International Junior Heavyweight Title: Jushin Thunder Liger © v The Great Sasuke

11. WAR Japan J-1 Heavyweight Title: Kensuke Sasaki © v Toshiaki Kawada

Edited by Ganon Dun

15th May 2005

Kensuke Sasaki had a few words to say in his online blog regarding his upcoming title defence against Toshiaki Kawada in the Osaka Castle Hall.

user posted image

" .. I certainly don't have the experience against Kawada that I held in my match with Tenryu-san. However, I have been against Kawada in the past, and I am fully aware of what he is capable of. His time in All Japan as Triple Crown Champion is more than enough proof of his ability, so I'll need to be at my best. I get the feeling that the decision to make Kawada my opponent has something to do with his relationship with Tenryu, but I don't want to get into that here ( ^^; ). I've been training this week with Katsuhiko and.. "

Edited by Ganon Dun

16th May 2005

NikkanSports.com revealed its new article concerning Wrestle Association "R", a preview of Super Revolution 2005 taking a look at some of the matches involved.

The 18th of May sees the second large event for this incarnation of Wrestle Association "R", set to take place in the Osaka Castle Hall. All four titles are on the line, with particular anticipation being felt from many towards the Fujinami/Shibata match, and also the Sasaki/Kawada title bout.

user posted image v user posted image

Milano Collection AT is the founding member of the original incarnation of the Italian Connection that was very popular in Dragon Gate before it closed down, and is also the founding member of the Nuovo Italian Connection that he now heads in Wrestle Association "R". Arguably has never had the singles title success deserving of him, his only single title being the NWA International Light Heavyweight Title in Toryumon after besting Masato Yoshino in the final of a tournament in 2003. Uses a very interesting style featuring a number of unique holds, often linked together in impressive chains to a great amount of success. A very centred and casual individual, has some high flying skill in his arsenal along with various strikes. Many believe that the singles success he seeks could be achieved in Wrestle Association "R".

Kendo Kashin can be a very unpredictable asset for any promotion, ever since his initial departure from New Japan Pro Wrestling in 2002. He had a successful run in NJPW, which had its ups and downs; some of the high points include winning the Young Lions Cup in 1996 and the Best of the Super Juniors Tournament in 1999. He also held the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title twice, as well as a long run with the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team titles with Dr. Wagner Jr. as his partner. This success was mirrored in All Japan Pro Wrestling, when he moved there in 2002. He had a long run with the AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title, and also held the AJPW World Tag Team Titles for some time, alongside Yuji Nagata. Before joining Wrestle Association "R", it was difficult to pin him to a particular promotion. He uses a very submission orientated style, often using variations of a cross armbreaker to secure victories, along with some tricky tactics.

user posted image, user posted image & user posted image v user posted image, user posted image & user posted image

3. WAR Six Man Tag Team Title: Yoshihiro Takayama, Kazuyuki Fujita & Minoru Suzuki © v Ryuma Go, Nobutaka Araya & Nobukazu Hirai

Yoshihiro Takayama is a big man who has had great success in a number of promotions, from the original incarnation of Wrestle Association "R", All Japan, New Japan and Pro Wrestling NOAH; holding titles in each promotion at some point or another. A very popular wrestler because of his size, charisma, ability to tolerate pain, use of hard strikes and his "Everest" German Suplex Hold.

Kazuyuki Fujita previously only worked in New Japan where pro wrestling was concerned, having worked often in MMA promotions like PRIDE and K-1. He is a two time former IWGP Heavyweight champion, who has gained the nickname 'Iron Head'. This New Japan trueborn combatant has become one of the few strongest and most legit Japanese fighters in the world, with an amateur background and with pro-wrestling as his dominant style.

Similar in some ways to Kazuyuki Fujita, Minoru Suzuki is a pro wrestler who has seen action in various MMA promotions, having won the King of Pancrase Openweight Title. Was trained in a very stiff style by Akira Maeda upon entering UWF, and also starred in Yoshiaki Fujiwara's 'Professional Wrestling Fujiwaragumi'. Was in and out of pro wrestling all through the 90s, and returned to New Japan in 2003 and he has used all of his training and personality to become one of the most unique and interesting combatants on the planet. Some have used words 'legend' and 'pioneer' when describing him.

Ryuma Go is a heavyweight who once worked regularly for Wrestle Association "R" in its original incarnation. He has never really reached any great heights in his career, and hasn't been very active outside of WAR; however he is a very solid worker who has recently utilised a style very similar to that of Riki Choshu.

Nobutaka Araya was a top worker in the original incarnation of Wrestle Association "R", as Genichiro Tenryu's main disciple. He is a former Sumo wrestler, like Tenryu and has often followed Tenryu to whatever promotions he has gone to. When in All Japan, Kawada saw him as having main event potential there, and he managed to capture the All Asia Tag Titles with Arashi, another wrestler who saw action in the original WAR. He is a very agile and talented big man, being able to hit a moonsault press perfectly at his size, who may still see great success.

Nobukazu Hirai is another disciple of Genichiro Tenryu who worked in Super World of Sports, the original Wrestle Association "R" and All Japan Pro Wrestling before returning to this incarnation of WAR. Never quite reached the success of regular team mate Araya, he is a quiet and solid traditional wrestler who may still also see success in the future; being a former WAR Six Man Tag Team champion at one time.

user posted image & user posted image v user posted image & user posted image

5. WAR International Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Magnum TOKYO & Darkness Dragon © v Super Shisa & Kengo Mashimo

Magnum TOKYO is a very charismatic, cocky, and athletic wrestler who was one of the aces of Dragon Gate in its time. He has had significant singles success, that wasn't evident during his time in World Championship Wrestling.

Darkness Dragon was a former Dragon Gate wrestler who is a quite charismatic and uses a combination of holds and high flying techniques in his matches. Hasn't quite been as successful as his more experienced partner, but still may reach great heights.

Super Shisa uses a similar style to Darkness Dragon, but with more emphasis placed on pinning techniques, cradles and submissions. Little is known about Shisa, however his career has never really reach any great heights as of yet.

Kengo Mashimo was trained by Taka Michinoku in the Kaientai Dojo, but has fought in BattlArts and New Japan he was one of the Kaientai Dojo's greatest prospects. He is a very skilled fighter who is very fast paced, using submissions and sharp strikes, and with a certain unique flare.

Katsuyori Shibata is yet to really reach the heights many expect from him so far, but has had a successful career so far, scoring victories over many veterans and had a very exciting rivalry with Genichiro Tenryu in New Japan. He has had experience in MMA through New Japan, and once took time out from the company to learn about training in Vale Tudo during his transition from lightweight to heavyweight. He is a very promising and heavily talented wrestler, showing great technique, tremendous will, spirit, and a fierce mean streak. He was looked at as being one who would represent the new generation before leaving to join the BIG MOUTH promotion that never came to fruition. Many look to Shibata as a young Maeda, and Maeda has been helping him train recently in WAR.

Tatsumi Fujinami is a highly decorated legend of puroresu, who started his career as a junior heavyweight before making the transition to heavyweight in the 80s. He was recognised as being one of the greatest and most innovative juniors of his time, and was one of the wrestlers who left JWA with Inoki to form New Japan. Once helped train a younger Yoshihiro Asai, and had a legendary teaming with Kengo Kimura. Known to many as 'The Dragon', Tatsumi Fujinami has spread moves that many use today, making him one of the most influential wrestlers ever. Was often a part of the NJPW v WAR events in the past, so is no stranger to the promotion. Many look at this match in a similar light to his epic, excellent, stand out match versus Akira Maeda on 6/12/1986 and wonder if he can again recapture such.

Kensuke Sasaki is having some of the greatest success of his career in Wrestle Association "R", and hopes to continue this success with a defence of the title against Toshiaki Kawada.

Toshiaki Kawada is a long time All Japan Pro Wrestling worker, who officially left the promotion in 2005 and became a part of Wrestle Association "R". He had enormous success in All Japan, and was one of the few workers who didn't defect with Misawa and company to create Pro Wrestling NOAH in 2000. A five time Triple Crown champion and eight time AJPW World Tag Team Champion, he is arguably one of the greatest wrestlers on the planet. Kawada is a very intense and fiery wrestler, who kept the basically gone Royal Road style alive in All Japan before his departure. He had a famous teaming with NOAH's Akira Taue in All Japan as the Holy Demon Army and originally was recognised as a member of Genichiro Tenryu's Revolution faction. Often uses a number of stiff kicks, along with the Stretch Plum submission hold and powerbomb variations. Having bested Kensuke Sasaki in the past, many believe he will cut the title reign of Kensuke Sasaki short.

The next NikkanSports Wrestle Association "R" article will look at the WAR On NOAH event in detail.

Edited by Ganon Dun

WAR SUPER REVOLUTION 2005 18/05/05

IPB Image

The Osaka Castle Hall presents; Wrestle Association "R": Super Revolution 2005.

Once again, all four Wrestle Association "R" titles will be up for grabs in Osaka Castle Hall. Eiji Ezaki takes up his announcing role and welcomes the fans to the event, as Maeda and Ujiie make their way to ringside for commentary. Kenta Kobashi is shown sitting at ringside before the first match began.

1. Susumu Yokosuka & Masao Orihara v Ishi Mori & MOCHI

In a similar start to this event as to what was seen in the Sumo Hall last month, four young junior heavyweights start the show, four who have been battling back and forth throughout the Super Revolution tour. Ishi Mori and Yokosuka take the match to a sudden start, as Ishi Mori ducks a clothesline and answers with an arm drag on Yokosuka. Yokosuka manages to ground Ishi Mori however, and begins to dominate him with submission holds, before Ishi Mori can manage a tag to MOCHI. Eager to get at Yokosuka, MOCHI strikes at him with several swift kicks to the body, knocking him down once and then knocking him down again when he manages to get to his feet. Yokosuka gets the tag out to Orihara who runs in and hits a big DDT on MOCHI. The pace remains steady throughout, keeping the fans entertained. Ishi Mori and Orihara exchange blows as the match nears its conclusion. Orihara slams down Ishi Mori and sets him up in the corner. MOCHI attempts to intervene, but is attacked by Yokosuka. Orihara hits a Spider German Suplex from the corner to get the victory. As Orihara gets backstage he makes a 'V' sign with his fingers, seemingly to signify his second victory in a large WAR event.

Another two junior workers face off in this match, who have also been battling back and forth throughout this tour. They aim to solidify who is the better of the two in this bout, and questionable tactics will no doubt be seen in this match, as both seem to be willing to do whatever it takes to prove just how good they are. Milano confuses Kashin with a unique chain combination linking together a variety of holds to weaken the arms of Kashin. Kashin eventually manages to escape the chain and makes his way to the outside, seemingly frustrated. Kashin lifts a chair from ringside, but it is taken from him by the referee. He eventually rolls in the ring and catches Milano with a kick to the gut, which leads to a fujiwara armbar, grounding Milano. A fast paced technical and mat based match ensued, with the odd high flying attack on behalf of Milano, using a springboard clothesline to take down Kashin. Kashin hit Milano with a brainbuster that almost got a three, but Milano got a shoulder up.. Milano fought back and had the Paradise Lock on Kashin, but Kashin manages to get to the ropes. Milano dragged Kashin to the centre of the ring and trapped him in the AT Lock, and Kashin was having great difficulty escaping. Murakami began to make his way to the ring, but was quickly followed by Ishi Mori and MOCHI, who prevented him from interfering. Kashin eventually tapped, giving Milano Collection AT the decisive victory. He offered Kashin his a handshake, but Kashin refused it and headed to the back with Murakami.

Yoshihiro Takayama's latest incarnation of Team No Fear defend their WAR Six Man Tag Team titles from a team of Wrestle Association "R" loyalists. Ryuma Go and Araya surprise many by dominating Suzuki and Fujita early in the match, however Takayama puts a quick stop to that. Both teams are very physical and quite brutal throughout the match, especially on behalf of Team No Fear. The match reaches its conclusion when Fujita uses a knee strike on Go similar to the one used by Takayama. This secures Team No Fear! their first successful defence of the WAR Six Man Tag Team Titles. Araya and Hirai seem extremely frustrated due to their lack of success.

4. Generation Gap: Masato Yoshino v Satoru Sayama

The first of the 'Generation Gap' concept matches begins when legendary junior Satoru Sayama faces young, cocky upstart Masato Yoshino; who believes the idea of the likes of Sayama still fighting for titles is an embarrassment. Yoshino puts up considerable offence against Sayama, and has him in a few dangerous situations with a number of submission holds. Sayama uses his experience to get the upper hand on Yoshino, despite some of the questionable tactics employed by Yoshino throughout. Sayama knocks down Yoshino with a spinning back kick and follows it up with a diving headbutt from the top turnbuckle to get the victory over Yoshino.

5. WAR International Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Magnum TOKYO & Darkness Dragon © v Super Shisa & Kengo Mashimo

The teaming of Super Shisa and Kengo Mashimo don't seem to have the odds on their side against the champions, however the recent victories of Shisa over Darkness Dragon may yet prove otherwise. TOKYO and Mashimo start the match with a number of arm drag exchanges, before TOKYO takes down Mashimo with a big clothesline. TOKYO tags in K-Ness who starts to wear down Mashimo with a knee bar, and various other holds. Mashimo manages to tag in Shisa, who starts to wear down K-Ness with a few holds of his own. Shisa and Mashimo manage to put TOKYO and K-Ness in a number of dangerous predicaments, but when TOKYO hits the Egoist Driver in Mashimo, it's enough to secure them their V2 defence of the title.

6. Lion Heart v Jinsei Shinzaki

Lion Heart looks to redeem himself in this match, as he blames Jinsei Shinzaki's presence for the great number of losses he has suffered throughout this tour. When the bell rings, Lion Heart slides outside and begins to pace around the ring. Shinzaki waits patiently in the centre of the ring for some time, but eventually runs at Jericho when he turns to face the crowd, and hits him with a baseball slide that knocks him to the railings. Lion Heart quickly recovers and turns around, only to be hit by a plancha from Shinzaki. Shinzaki picks up Lion Heart and rolls him in the ring, to the appreciation of the fans. Lion Heart starts fighting back, and strikes Shinzaki with a few forearms and then sets him up for a high angle vertical suplex. The two battle it out, back and forth, with Lion Heart managing to trap Shinzaki on the Lion Tamer for a while, but with Shinzaki eventually gaining the upper hand due to his strength advantage. The match came to its conclusion when Shinzaki followed up a diving headbutt with the Nenbutsu Powerbomb to get the three count.

7. Generation Gap: Yoshihiro Asai v Dragon Kid

The second of the three Generation Gap concept matches is a student versus mentor match, where Dragon Kid intends to break free from the grasp of Asai, that he claims is holding him down. The two lock up when the bell ring, and start trying to out do one another in a chain sequence of holds and take overs. Dragon Kid eventually throws Asai to the corner and follows it up with a Spinning Wheel Kick. As Asai staggers from the corner, Dragon Kid pounces onto the ropes and hits Asai with a Springboard missile dropkick to the back of the head, which gets a two count. Dragon Kid pulls Asai to his feet, but is stunned when Asai hits him with a short spinning back kick. Asai follows the back kick up with a spinning wheel kick of his own. Asai begins to dominate Dragon Kid from here on, working on the legs to prevent him from performing much of his offence. Dragon Kid shows great resilience in this match, managing to kick out after a Dragonsteiner and a Tiger Suplex Hold. He manages to fight back, using many variations of the Deja Vu and hitting Asai with a Dragonrana through the pain in his legs, but to no avail. Asai stops the offence of Dragon Kid suddenly with a kicking combination to the legs, and hits him with the Asai DDT. However, showing great reslience still, Dragon Kid manages to kick out before the three count.. he staggers to his feet and Asai catches him with a springboard Asai Moonsault, but still it doesn't keep Dragon Kid down. Dragon Kid tries to shake the pain away from his legs, and tries a springboard, but his legs give way beneath him. Asai goes to capitalise with another Asai DDT, but Dragon Kid reverses it into a Northern Lights Suplex that nearly keeps Asai down. Asai makes his way slowly to his feet, as Dragon Kid was making his way to the top turnbuckle. Dragon Kid comes off with a backflip, landing on the shoulders of Asai and rolling him over in a hurricanrana. He doesn't go for the pin, however and tries a springboard again as Asai gets to his feet. He manages to maintain his balance through the pain and catches Asai in a Dragonrana to get the three count. The crowd seem extremely pleased with his performance as he celebrates his success.

8. Andrei Arlovski v Riki Choshu

Riki Choshu looks to lariat mixed martial arts and its practitioners from professional wrestling in this match, against former UFC heavyweight champion, The Pitbull Andrei Arlovski. Arlovski looks quite impressive throughout the match, managing to almost go toe to toe with veteran Choshu. Arlovski debuts his devastating Russian Neck Drop in this bout, which keeps Choshu down for the best part of a minute; during which the referee keeps Arlovski away from Choshu in concern for his health. Choshu eventually manages to get to his feet however, and strikes back with a Power Lariat, catching Arlovski by surprise and almost getting a three count. He follows it up with the Sasori Gatame, but Arlovski shows great resilience and manages to make his way to the ropes. Arlovski throws some hard punches at Choshu, which leads into a battle between the kicks and punches of Arlovski against the lariats of Revolution Warrior Choshu. Both stagger as the battle rages on for over a minute, but eventually reaches its climax when one of the Riki Lariats take Arlovski off of his feet, and Choshu covers him for the three. Backstage afterwards, Choshu said that he knew this was only the beginning of his crusade, and that lariating MMA from pro wrestling would not be as easy as this one match.

The final Generation Gap concept match is between two workers with quite different styles, the young and aggressive martial arts orientated Shibata and the MUGA Dragon Tatsumi Fujinami. Fujinami surprises however, starting off the bout quite aggressively, striking down Shibata with a number of hard chops, however Shibata begins to respond with several kicks to the body and head that halt the offence of Fujinami, and bloody his face; in a scene reminiscent of that from the Maeda/Fujinami match of '86. Fujinami makes great effort to ground and wear down Shibata throughout the match, trapping Shibata in various holds, however Shibata shows great fighting spirit and manages to pull through. As the match begins to reach its end, Shibata attacks Fujinami with a barrage of kicks to the body and head, staggering a very bloodied Fujinami. He follows the kicks with a snap brainbuster to get the three count over Fujinami. With the blood of Fujinami all over his body, Shibata celebrates around the ring, and speaks backstage about going after Kensuke, claiming to have truly proven himself.

10. WAR International Junior Heavyweight Title: Jushin Thunder Liger © v The Great Sasuke

Another two innovative junior legends go head to head for the WAR International Junior Heavyweight Title, as Liger looks to make his first defence of a title that he has held in the past. Both workers display great passion and resilience throughout the bout, showing no less than what would be expected from both workers. Sasuke manages to pull through after being subject to the dirty tactics used by Liger in this bout, as well as recovering from a Liger Bomb and a brainbuster. Sasuke looks to be in great danger however, when Liger hits him with a brainbuster from the top turnbuckle, but showing great dedication and resilience, Sasuke manages to just kick out. Liger drags Sasuke to his feet, and to another corner for another brainbuster, but Sasuke manages to push him from the second rope to the ground and follows this up with The Waterfall, but this isn't to keep Liger down. Sasuke seems to have a sudden rush of adrenaline, as he pulls Liger to his feet and hits him with not one, but two Fire Thunder Powerbombs to get the decisive victory and to become the new International Junior Heavyweight Champion. Backstage he speaks highly of Jushin Thunder Liger, and hopes to be a good representative for the junior division of Wrestle Association "R".

Kensuke Sasaki has had a very successful start to his Wrestle Association "R" career so far. Having not dropped a fall himself since entering the promotion, Kensuke looks like a very strong champion going into this match. However the man he faces is no push over. Toshiaki Kawada is a five time All Japan Triple Crown Champion, an eight time AJPW World Tag Team Champion and a two time All Asia Tag Team Champion. He has also won numerous leagues in All Japan, twice winning the Champion Carnival and three times winning the AJPW Real World Tag League. He is a stiff, intense and very tough wrestler, who some have called one of the worlds best.

As soon as the bell rings, the two wrestlers begin a battle, Kensuke throwing one lariat after another at Kawada, as Kawada follows up each successive lariat with a kick to the head for Kensuke. This continues for some time, until Kensuke ducks a kick of Kawada, Kawada ducks a clothesline of Kensuke, then runs at Kensuke again, only to run into a huge powerslam. Both wrestlers give it their all throughout this match, using almost every known move in their arsenal. Kensuke hits Kawada with a dropkick in the closing minutes of the match, and when Kawada bounces off the ropes, he follows it up with the Ipponzei shoulder throw, that nearly gets a three count on Kawada. Kawada fights back however, catching Sasaki with a enziguri and following it with a Gamengiri as Sasaki still stands. He then grabs Sasaki and follows this up with a Folding Powerbomb, but Kensuke kicks out just before three. When Kensuke gets to his feet, the two battle out once more, just as they did when the match began clothesline against kicks. Kawada catches Sasaki off guard, and kicks away a clothesline before it can hit him, and then jumps up and hits Sasaki with another Gamengiri. Sasaki shakes it off however, and finds a rush of adrenaline that allows him to hit Kawada with two successive Northern Lights Drivers that get him the three count on Kawada. He celebrates around the ring, and poses with the belt for photographers before shaking the hand of Kawada. He takes a microphone and calls Kawada a great warrior, who would have been more than deserving of this title. As Kensuke stands there, Kenta Kobashi climbs over the railings and enters the ring. The two stare down for a while before Kensuke leaves the ring, and walks backstage.

WAR: SUPER REVOLUTION 2005, 18/05/05

Osaka Castle Hall

9,806 Fans

1. Susumu Yokosuka & Masao Orihara defeat Ishi Mori & MOCHI when Orihara uses a Spider German Suplex on Ishi Mori. (13:02)

2. Milano Collection AT defeats Kendo Kashin when Kashin submits to the AT Lock. (13:38)

3. WAR Six Man Tag Team Title: Yoshihiro Takayama, Kazuyuki Fujita & Minoru Suzuki © defeat Ryuma Go, Nobutaka Araya & Nobukazu Hirai when Fujita uses a Knee Strike on Go. (V1) (19:07)

4. Generation Gap: Satoru Sayama defeats Masato Yoshino with a Diving Headbutt. (14:23)

5. WAR Interntional Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Magnum TOKYO & Darkness Dragon © defeat Super Shisa & Kengo Mashimo when TOKYO uses the Egoist Driver on Mashimo. (V2) (18:51)

6. Jinsei Shinzaki defeats Lion Heart with the Nenbutsu Powerbomb. (14:49)

7. Generation Gap: Dragon Kid defeats Yoshihiro Asai with a Springboard Dragonrana. (15:21)

8. Riki Choshu defeats Andrei Arlovski with a Riki Lariat. (13:38)

9. Generation Gap: Katsuyori Shibata defeats Tatsumi Fujinami with a Brainbuster. (19:11)

10. WAR International Junior Heavyweight Title: The Great Sasuke defeats Jushin Thunder Liger © with a Fire Thunder Powerbomb to become the 13th Champion. (18:24)

11. WAR Japan J-1 Heavyweight Title: Kensuke Sasaki © defeats Toshiaki Kawada with a Northern Lights Driver. (V1) (24:47)

Edited by Ganon Dun

20th May 2005

Wrestle Association "R" President Masatomo Takei made the press aware that Milano Collection AT had suffered a minor thigh injury, and would not be taking part in the six man tag team bout he was scheduelled to be a part of at the 'WAR On NOAH' event; his exact return date is not yet known, but the general feeling is that he will be at full health in time for the next tour. His replacement for the match would be Yoshihiro Asai.

This is how the event now looks;

WAR On NOAH!

Tokyo Dome

25/05/05

1. Tiger Emperor user posted image v Masato Yoshino

2. Go Shiosaki user posted image v Katsuyori Shibata

3. Tamon Honda user posted image v Andrei Arlovski

4. Kendo Kashin, Kazunari Murakami & Dragon Kid v Yoshihiro Asai, MOCHI & Ishi Mori

5. Takashi Sugiura user posted image & Mohammed Yone user posted image v Jushin Thunder Liger & Jinsei Shinzaki

6. Yoshinobu Kanemaru user posted image v CIMA

7. Naomichi Marufuji user posted image v The Great Sasuke

8. Genichiro Tenryu, Magnum TOKYO & K-Ness v Riki Choshu, Satoru Sayama & Super Shisa

9. Akira Taue user posted image & Toshiaki Kawada v Takeshi Rikioh user posted image & Takeshi Morishima user posted image

10. Kensuke Sasaki v Kenta Kobashi user posted image

Edited by Ganon Dun

Where are the Young Lions?

I thought, because you are several months into the game, that you would have brought some in now.

And what is with the wierd names you are using for moves?

You seem to know your Puroresu, but you are using some awful names. It may seem small, but I think it is taking away from the Puroresu experience.

Booking though, I am enjoying most parts of it. You def. have down the WAR side of shows. The Shibata win was a bit out there in my opinion, and it better lead somewhere. I didn't buy Shiisa & Mashimo as challenges to the Junior Tag Title though, I don't think you have built them up enough.

22nd May 2005

The 'WAR On NOAH' event is only a few days away now, so heres a run down of the NOAH participants involved for the benefit of Wrestle Association "R" fans. Whis should be a historical event for Japanese Wrestling, and should perform well in its goal of aiding Pro Wrestling NOAH. Some have argued that due to the unfortunate lack of time given to build on the event, it might not draw as well as many had hoped. However due to the nature of the event, it still might be possible that the Tokyo Dome may be well stacked.

IPB Image

Tiger Emperor is a young junior once known to NOAH fans as Kotaro Suzuki. He is one of a very few workers who managed to survive an intense thrity person training class at the NOAH Dojo. When he had only one year plus experience, this young, athletic wrestler had already shown that he is definitely in the next generation of juniors, his matches proving this. Has yet to grasp any titles in Pro Wrestling NOAH, but the GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Titles are easily within his grasp, and arguably the GHC Jr. Heavyweight Title may be in his immediate future.

IPB Image

Go Shiosaki has the distinction of being the first ever trueborn blue chipper of Pro Wrestling NOAH. Having gone through an extensive Trial series including a 13+ minute match against Kenta Kobashi, Shiosaki still has a long and possibly successful career ahead of him. There is a feeling however, that if NOAH doesn't pull through then this heavyweights career may be in jeapordy.

IPB Image

Tamon Honda is a former olympian who has seen much tag team success in his career, but really hasn't shone in singles competition. He was one of many who followed Misawa from All Japan to NOAH in 2000 where he has been a solid member of the roster. He has steadily improved as a professional wrestler and had been moving up the card, having an impressive shot at Kenta Kobashi in a GHC Heavyweight Title match. He u.ses an amaresu influenced style of powerful throws and painful submissions, despite injuries hurting him, he is still a respected and competitive member of the roster.

IPB Image

Takashi Sugiura was heavily involved in amateur wrestling before entering into Mitsuharu Misawa's Pro-Wrestling NOAH to become their first produced trainee. Because of his background in amaresu, he made an entry into mixed martial arts mega-promotion PRIDE Fighting Championship. Becoming NOAH's shoot fighting hope. His first fight being vs. a member of the legendary Gracie family in Daniel Gracie on 6/23/2002 at PRIDE 21, Sugiura lost by decision, and made a sufficient outing. A very skilled, fiery, and strong wrestler, Sugiura can match up with anyone in NOAH and is easily a top roster member.

IPB Image

Mohammed Yone was in the first BattlArts, being one of their premier fighters and getting high up the card, even getting wins over owner and ace, Yuki Ishikawa. He eventually joined Mitsuharu Misawa's Pro-Wrestling NOAH on 12/24/2001, where he notably put up a good fight against Kenta Kobashi. He has great charisma, agility, technique, and fire, and being one of NOAH's few young heavyweight wrestlers, he will be counted on to lead Pro-Wrestling NOAH into the future. Currently the GHC Hardcore Openweight Champion.

IPB Image

Yoshinobu Kanemaru is one of NOAH's top junior heavyweights, being a three time GHC Jr. Heavyweight Champion and holding strong victories over the legendary Jushin Thunder Liger, who he defeated to become the current GHC Jr. Heavyweight Champion. He is an intense and fiery worker who still has a long and successful career ahead of him.

IPB Image

Naomichi Marufuji is another highly successful NOAH junior, who has been called one of the most charismatic and promising wrestlers on the planet, impressing fans with his amazing and breath-taking arsenal of moves. Has had a large amount of success alongside regular partner KENTA, however he has been focusing on singles wrestling more recently, especially after KENTAs defection to ZERO-ONE MAX. Because of his pure ability, he is already becoming a big star and is definitely in the next generation of junior heavyweights.

IPB Image

Akira Taue formed one of the greatest & most successful tag teams in AJPW History, The Holy Demon Army, with Toshiaki Kawada. He was another of the workers who jumped ship to follow Misawa to NOAH from All Japan, where he won the AJPW Champion Carnival in 1996. Injuries and age have slowed him down, but is still a solid worker today, and can still work a great match.

IPB Image

Takeshi Rikioh is the current GHC Heavyweight Champion, having the distinction of being the individual who ended the two year reign of Kenta Kobashi. He is a former sumo wrestler who formed an upstart tag team with past rival and fellow young wrestler Takeshi Morishima called Wild 2. One of NOAH's biggest prospects, having a lot of strength and fire, which has brought him quick progress.

IPB Image

Takeshi Morishima is another young NOAH heavyweight with a bright future ahead of him. He and Rikioh upset the original incarnation of No Fear (Yoshihiro Takayama & Takao Omori) to win the GHC Tag Team Titles on 2/17/2002 and enjoyed a long reign with them, and became NOAH's top tag team. One of NOAH's few young prospects, having great power, fire, and potential to be a headliner.

IPB Image

Kenta Kobashi is the current owner of Pro Wrestling NOAH, who has recently been struggling with financial problems. Is still one of the top heavyweights in Pro Wrestling NOAH, and one of the best the world has to offer in professional wrestling. He showed huge potential to be a big star in his early career, and had some of the greatest matches ever with Mitsuharu Misawa and Toshiaki Kawada while climbing the ladder in All Japan Pro Wrestling. One of many who followed Misawa to NOAH in 2000, knee problems coming from using the Moonsault Press so much kept him out of wrestling for mostly all of 2001, and some of 2002. After many surgeries on his knees and elbow, he made a great comeback. Many have said that his 'burning spirit' is not the gimmick he uses, or his character, it's a reality; and that he has wrestled so many great matches, to become the definition of fighting spirit, and one of the greatest wrestlers ever.

Edited by Ganon Dun

This is brilliant. Ive sat here and skimmed shows/read news for the full thing and it is really really good. I am not a PuroSmark, I dont know half of perhaps what I should but I really enjoy the japanese style and enjoy watching NJPW and NOAH on TWC... this really brings to life everything ive come to percieve puro as being so well done youve drew me in. Cant really comment on the particular matches because I was skimming to try and get up to date. But ignore peoples gripes about realism, what do they know about the reality of your game lol. Keep it up!

• 3 weeks later...

WAR ON NOAH 25/05/05

IPB Image

The Tokyo Dome presents; in association with Wrestle Association "R" and Pro-Wrestling NOAH; WAR ON NOAH!

The figures for attendance have been rumoured to be anywhere between 30,000 and 60,000.. The show begins with Eiji Ezaki making his way to ringside and kicking off with the Japanese National Anthem. The officials for the interpromotional matches would be mixed throughout the night, and with the main event featuring a Wrestle Association "R" official on the inside of the ring, and NOAH Official Shuichi Nishinaga on the outside. The announcer for the first match is NOAH announcer, Ryu Nakata.

1. Tiger Emperor v Masato Yoshino

This bout is between two young junior prospects for each respective promotion, and should prove to be an exciting match. TOKYO and K-Ness follow Yoshino to the ring, and stay at his corner throughout. They start the match with a mat based wrestling competition, with Yoshino becoming visibly irritated; and eventually hitting Tiger Emperor with a sharp forearm. When Tiger quickly recovered, he bounced off the ropes and attempted to hit Yoshino with a clothesline, but it was ducked, and Yoshino responded with an arm drag. Masato followed the arm drag with a number of forearms, and then tossed Tiger to the ropes. Emperor ducked not one, but two clotheslines, and caught Yoshino off guard with flying head-scissors. As the match was reaching its conclusion, Yoshino and Tiger Emperor were exchanging a variety of kicks. TOKYO and K-Ness made an attempt at distracting Emperor, both of whom stepping up to the ring apron. When the referee makes his way towards them, K-Ness manages to slide a chair into the ring behind the referee's back. Yoshino catches it, and goes to swing at the head of Emperor. Emperor ducks the shot, and hits Yoshino with a kick to the gut, forcing him to drop the chair. Tiger kicks the chair aside and hits Yoshino with a modified Tiger Driver.

2. Go Shiosaki v Katsuyori Shibata

Two very young and exciting workers go at it in this bout, with the crowd here at the Tokyo Dome being firmly behind Shiosaki. The match begins with a feeling out process between the two workers, both looking for some kind of leverage early on. After a few minutes of mat work, Shibata throws the first kick, hitting Shiosaki on the inside of his thigh. Shiosaki follows up with a hard kick of his own to the chest of Shibata, which leads to both workers exchanging kicks back and forth. Shiosaki falters for a moment, and Shibata catches him with a roundhouse kick to the side of the head. This nearly gets a three count, but Shiosaki just manages to lift a shoulder. When Shiosaki tries to get to his feet, Shibata comes off the ropes and kicks Shiosaki on the chest, knocking him straight back down. Shibata goes for another cover, but to no avail. As the match reaches its conclusion, Shibata ducks a lariat from Shiosaki and catches him with a kick on the rebound. Shibata locks in the Cross Camel Clutch as Shiosaki hits the ground; Shiosaki tries to make it to the ropes, but the pain appears to be too much for him, as he submits, giving the victory to Katsuyori Shibata. The first Wrestle Association “R” victory of the night.

3. Tamon Honda v Andrei Arlovski

Former Olympian Tamon Honda goes head-to-head with former UFC Heavyweight Champion Andrei Arlovski. Tamon Honda charges quickly at Arlovski, instantly taking him off his feet with an amateur wrestling take down. Honda slaps the head of Arlovski as he rises, and Arlovski responds quickly with a shoot style take down. Arlovski tries to lock an arm bar on Honda, but Honda quickly makes it to the ropes. Both wrestlers stare down for a moment, when Arlovski suddenly slaps Honda across the face. Apparently angered by this, Honda lashes out at Arlovski with several chops to the chest that stagger him, and Honda quickly capitalises with a unique pinning combination that catches Arlovski off guard and almost gets a three count. Arlovski quickly gets to his feet and starts firing off punches and kicks, punishing Honda, then following up with a body slam. In an uncharacteristic fashion, Arlovski climbs to the top turnbuckle, but Honda intercepts, knocking him off balance and then hitting a Superplex on Arlovski. Honda is quickly to his feet after the superplex, and follows it up with a cradle piledriver, that nearly gets a three count. The two exchange strikes for a moment and Arlovski comes off the ropes only to be caught in a swinging sleeper hold by Honda. Arlovski eventually powers out, and throws Honda to the ropes, hitting a running knee strike on the rebound. Arlovski wraps his arms around the waist of Honda, and picks him up sideward, before suddenly dropping him on his neck; hitting the Russian Neck Drop. The Russian Neck Drop proves to be too much for Honda, as Arlovski walks away with a big victory over NOAH representative Tamon Honda.

4. Kendo Kashin, Kazunari Murakami & Dragon Kid v Yoshihiro Asai, MOCHI & Ishi Mori

Six Wrestle Association “R” regulars find themselves on either side of the ring in this bout. Kashin’s team make a great effort to single out and dominate Ishi Mori for the majority of the bout, however things seem to pick up for Asai’s team when MOCHI manages to single out Dragon Kid, grounding him with a number of mat based submission holds. Finally managing to escape MOCHI, Dragon Kid got a tag to Kendo Kashin that managed to turn the tide of the match back around. Murakami and Kashin take turns at working on the legs of MOCHI, trying to prevent him from utilising his arsenal of kicks. MOCHI manages to battle back against Murakami however at one point, visibly fighting through the pain in his legs to hit the Twister. MOCH then makes the tag to Asai, who manages to wear down Murakami quickly with several kicks and a springboard Asai Moonsault, before finishing him off with a Dragon Sleeper. Backstage after the match, Asai stressed that Dragon Kid has not proven his worth over Ultimo Dragon, his mentor, only Yoshihiro Asai. He added that Dragon Kid would not earn the right to face Ultimo Dragon with his current attitude.

5. Takashi Sugiura & Mohammed Yone v Jushin Thunder Liger & Jinsei Shinzaki

Two successful NOAH wrestlers, the GHC Hardcore Openweight Champion Mohammed Yone and former GHC Jr. Heavyweight Champion turned heavyweight, Takashi Sugiura take on junior legend Jushin Thunder Liger and experienced Wrestle Association “R” heavyweight Jinsei Shinzaki. Shinzaki and Sugiura start the match off with a test of strength, Sugiura seeming to combat the strength of Shinzaki well, but eventually faltering, with Shinzaki overpowering Sugiura with a sudden suplex. As Sugiura got to his feet, Shinzaki had made his way to the top turnbuckle and came off with a Praying Shoulder Tackle, before tagging in Liger. Liger hit a rolling savate kick on Sugiura as he tried to get to his feet, and locked in a camel clutch, working on the lower back. He continued to work on the lower back with a number of submission holds, including a Mexican surfboard stretch. Sugiura begins to battle back, and takes down Liger with a sharp shoulder tackle, and tags in Yone. Yone fires off a few kicks and some right hands at Liger, before throwing him to the ropes and catching him on the rebound with a spinning wheel kick. Both teams perform very well, neither giving away any kind of advantage to their opposition. Reminded of their past matches, Sugiura and Liger collide outside of the ring to settle their dispute, while Shinzaki and Yone battle it out inside the ring. Yone tries to set up the Muscle Buster on Shinzaki, but Shinzaki manages to roll out of it. He takes down Yone with a sharp spinning heel kick, and follows this with a Praying Diving Headbutt, that nearly gets a three count. As Shinzaki picks up Yone, Yone manages to strike out with a few kicks to the mid section that stagger Shinzaki. He throws Shinzaki to the ropes and ducks down for a back body drop. Shinzaki telegraphs it, however and hits Yone with a double axe handle across the back of the neck. He then sets up Yone and hits him with the Nenbutsu Powerbomb that keeps Yone down for the three count. Sugiura tried to make the save, but was held back by Liger.

6. Yoshinobu Kanemaru v CIMA

NOAH’s own GHC Jr. Heavyweight Champion Yoshinobu Kanemaru takes on the exceptionally talented Wrestle Association “R” junior regular and former Dragon Gate Open the Dream Gate Champion, CIMA. No titles are on the line on this bout however, just pride and respect. The first half of the bout is very mat work orientated, with each wrestler attempting to out-do the other, but it eventually turns into a battle of strikes for a few moments. Several kicks from Kanemaru to the legs and then the chest of CIMA, quickly take the WAR junior to his knees. CIMA quickly recovers and strikes back at Yoshinobu with a thrust kick, and follows the kick with a Neji to Hashi (cross legged fisherman suplex hold). CIMA uses this advantage to wear down Kanemaru with a side leg lock, and continues to ground and pound Kanemaru for many minutes, before Kanemaru manages to battle back. After a few strikes of his own, Kanemaru hits CIMA with a sharp brainbuster, and goes to the turnbuckle; coming off with split leg Moonsault that gets a two count. CIMA slaps Kanemaru when he gets to his feet, and throws Kanemaru to the corner, then runs in and hits him with a hard clothesline. CIMA places Kanemaru on the top turnbuckle and hits him with the Venus palm strike, then hits the Iconoclasm (flipping slam). He then makes his way to the top turnbuckle and comes off with the Mad Splash, but Kanemaru manages to roll out of the way just in time. Kanemaru picks up CIMA, and hits another brainbuster, and follows this up with a Moonsault. He doesn’t cover CIMA however, instead he picks him up and hits the Revolution Brainbuster, and this is enough to keep CIMA down long enough for a three count.

7. Naomichi Marufuji v The Great Sasuke

Another junior match, between successful NOAH junior and currently one half of the GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Champions, Naomichi Marufuji, and Wrestle Association “R” International Junior Heavyweight Champion; The Great Sasuke. Sasuke carries a great experience advantage over Marufuji, having worked in many promotions in well over a decade of wrestling. No titles are on the line in this bout, and the crowd seems firmly behind Marufuji upon his entry to the ring in the Tokyo Dome. The wrestlers circle one another before they quickly begin a complex chain, with arm drags, headlock take downs and a variety of pinning combinations that gets a standing ovation from many in the Tokyo Dome. Seemingly aware of what seems to be favouritism towards Marufuji; Sasuke begins to test Naomichi with a number of quick kicks that barely brush past him. Marufuji retaliates with several martial arts kicks of his own that come increasingly close to Sasuke, but don’t quite make contact. Marufuji looks to the crowd as they give him another ovation. Sasuke nods a little, with his hands on his waist, seemingly impressed by Marufuji, but suddenly strikes out with a stiff spinning back kick that takes Marufuji down to all fours. Sasuke then claps his hands and looks to the crowd for response, who seem less than pleased by his actions. Fast paced action continues throughout the match, with neither worker appearing to gain an upper hand. The crowd eventually warm back up to Sasuke however, and begin to chant his name when Marufuji manages to dominate for a few moments. Marufuji hits a thrust kick on Sasuke, and then goes to his the Shiranui, but Sasuke catches Marufuji in mid air, and uses a reverse Powerbomb that hits Marufuji off of the turnbuckles on his way down. Sasuke capitalises and picks up Marufuji, following up with a German Suplex Pin that nearly gets a three count. Marufuji manages to struggle back against Sasuke, and hits another thrust kick. He then sets Sasuke on the top turnbuckle and tries to hit a Super Shiranui, but Sasuke throws him off, sending Marufuji crashing down onto the mat. Sasuke comes down off the top turnbuckle with The Waterfall, and covers Marufuji for a three count.

8. Genichiro Tenryu, Magnum TOKYO & Darkness Dragon v Riki Choshu, Satoru Sayama & Super Shisa

Wrestle Association “R” founder and owner, Genichiro Tenryu teams up with Do FIXER members Magnum TOKYO and Darkness Dragon to take on the unusual team of Revolution Warrior Riki Choshu, junior legend Satoru Sayama, and young junior prospect Super Shisa. Tenryu and Choshu start the bout tentatively, sizing each other out, and trying to grab a hold of the others arm to get some form of leverage. Tenryu gets a hold of Choshu, and manages to ground him, keeping him down in a front headlock. Choshu escapes and applies a hammerlock on Tenryu. Tenryu hits back at Choshu with a few elbows to make him loosen his grip, and then takes control of Choshu again with a headlock. Choshu strikes Tenryu a few times on the midsection, then throws in to the ropes. On the rebound, Choshu catches Tenryu with a Riki Lariat that knocks Tenryu from the ring. Upon entry to the ring, Tenryu tags in K-Ness. Choshu goes to approach Darkness Dragon, but is called back to his corner by his partners. After what appears to be some brief discussion, an eager Shisa is tagged in, who is quickly on the offensive against K-Ness, perhaps hoping to repeat the success he had seen against him before. Darkness Dragon seems to have Super Shisa better scouted this time around however, and manages to keep Shisa down on the mat, where he is less effective at providing offence here. K-Ness takes Shisa to the corner of his team, where Magnum TOKYO is tagged in and continues to dominate Shisa. Many minutes pass with Shisa being isolated and dominated in the ring, unable to reach his partners, until Choshu seems to lose his patience. Choshu enters the ring and hits a lariat on all three of his opponents, allowing Shisa to get the tag to Sayama. Sayama is a fresh man at this point and combines this with his experience to get the advantage over TOKYO. As the match reaches its conclusion, Tenryu and Sayama compete in a battle of strikes, with Tenryu matching his chops and “Guh” Punches with the kicks of Sayama. A quick kick to the head from Sayama dazes Tenryu, but he quickly recovers and strikes Sayama with a number of Sumo palm strikes, then a float over enziguri. He goes to the turnbuckles and comes off with an elbows drop, then pick up Sayama and hits him with the 55-year-old. Members from both teams rush into the ring and collide, but neither manages to interrupt the pin fall, where Tenryu gets a three count on Sayama.

9. Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada v Takeshi Rikioh & Takeshi Morishima

All Japan’s ‘Holy Demon Army’ are re-united in this bout for the first time in many years, as NOAH’s Akira Taue teams up with Wrestle Association “R” heavyweight and former Triple Crown Champion Toshiaki Kawada. Many question if the team will still maintain the chemistry and success it once held in this bout however, as they face off against ‘Wild 2’, a team consisting of the current GHC Heavyweight Champion, the man who ended the two year long reign of Kenta Kobashi, Takeshi Rikioh and his long time partner and fellow NOAH heavy Takeshi Morishima. Taue and Morishima start this bout off, in what turns out to be an extremely physical battle. Morishima surprised and staggers Taue with a number of lariats that result in Taue tagging in Kawada to a great ovation from the Tokyo Dome crowd. Kawada attacks Morishima suddenly with several kicks to the head that send Morishima tumbling out of the ring. A very physically intense battle ensues, as both heavyweight teams battle it out for supremacy. The Holy Demon Army show great chemistry once more, working together closely to weaken their opponents. Morishima and Kawada face off on the ramp, where Morishima hits a Release German Suplex that seems to almost knock Kawada out cold. Morishima and Rikioh take on Taue in the ring, who manages to fight off both men for some time before they overwhelm him. Morishima hits the scrapbuster on Taue, then Rikioh picks him up and hits two consecutive Muso’s to get the three count on Taue. Kawada, still having not budged from when he was German suplexed on the ramp, is carried to the back by the ring boys after being assessed by medical staff.

10. Kensuke Sasaki v Kenta Kobashi

Wrestle Association “R” President Masatomo Takei makes his way to ringside for this bout, that pits the current WAR Japan J-1 Heavyweight Champion Kensuke Sasaki against the Burning Spirit of the near legendary Kenta Kobashi, who held NOAH’s GHC Heavyweight Title for two years before eventually dropping it, and who once held All Japan’s Triple Crown several times, amongst many other achievements. Many workers from both NOAH and WAR surround the ring for this final bout, to see what has been coined a ‘Revolution Dream Match’. The match starts off very tentatively with the two men circling each other for a time before approaching. They go into a solid tie-up, but neither man gives up an inch of footing. Both men step back, and they begin to circle one another again for a few moments, before getting into another very solid collar and elbow tie-up. The sweat is already visible on both men as they make an attempt at overpowering one another from the tie-up position, with neither man seeming to budge. The veins in the arms and legs of both men become visible, and the anguish in their faces is very clear as they turn a shade of red. The legs of both men begin to shake a little, and then more and more, before Kensuke seems to be overpowered, and is forced to take a step back. He tries to redeem himself, tries to push back at Kobashi, but is forced back very slowly to the ropes, he is overpowered by Kobashi. Kobashi makes a very slow break, and steps back carefully to allow a clean break of the tie-up that receives a great ovation from the Tokyo Dome crowd. Kensuke seems irritated by being overpowered, and rushes at Kobashi with a lariat that only staggers him. Seeming to become more irritated by the second, Sasaki demands that Kobashi clothesline him Kenta accepts the challenge and comes off the ropes, striking Kensuke across the chest with a stiff lariat. Kensuke takes a few steps back, but manages to maintain his footing, and fires off a chop to the chest of Kobashi. He then taunts Kobashi, slapping his own chest and asking to be chopped. They get in each others face for a while, before Kobashi pushes back Sasaki a little and unleashes a chop of his own. Kensuke takes the chop well, and strikes back; this leads to a chop battle between the two. After over a minute of chop exchanging, and to the surprise of many in the crowd, Kobashi begins to show signs of weakening from the chops of Sasaki. Two more chops stagger Kobashi, so Kensuke comes off the ropes and takes down Kobashi with a huge lariat. Sasaki goes to capitalise, but Kobashi rolls out of the ring. Kensuke follows Kobashi to the outside, and hits Kobashi with a few more chops, before rolling him back in the ring. By the time Sasaki gets in the ring, Kobashi is already to his feet. They tie up again, and Kobashi snapmares Sasaki, then follows this up with a sleeperhold. He keeps the sleeper locked in for some time, until Kensuke shows signs of weakening. Upon noticing that Kensuke is starting to falter a little, Kobashi pulls Sasaki up to his feet in the sleeper position, and hits a Sleeper Suplex. He then picks up Kensuke and goes for a Half Nelson Suplex, but Kensuke elbows his way free. Kobashi swings a chop at Kensuke, but he ducks it, and spins around Kobashi, hitting him with a release German Suplex and goes for a cover, but only gets a two count. Sasaki goes to lift Kobashi, but Kobashi pushes him away and then hits him with a running neckbreaker drop, then applies a full nelson on the grounded Sasaki, locking his legs around him as he does. Kensuke manages to get his foot on the ropes, and the WAR official breaks up the hold. Kobashi gets Kensuke in the corner and unloads on him with a number of stiff chops to the chest and neck, before hitting him with a spinning back chop to the side of the head. Sasaki staggers out of the corner, and Kobashi hits him with a Half Nelson Suplex. Doing his best to ignore the pain, and running on adrenaline alone, Sasaki quickly gets to his feet and hits Kobashi with a Half Nelson Suplex of his own. Fighting through the pain, Kobashi gets quickly to his feet as well, and tries to go for another Half Nelson Suplex, but Kensuke elbows him away. Sasaki then hits a scoop slam on Kobashi, and comes off the top rope with a twisting senton that almost gets a three count. Kensuke picks up Kobashi and sits him up on the top turnbuckle and hits a hurricanrana on Kobashi. Kobashi battles through the pain however, and gets instantly to his feet off the hurricanrana, and as Kensuke turns to face him, he hits him with a Burning Lariat that turns Sasaki upside down. Kobashi goes for the cover, but Sasaki kicks out just before the three. Both men use the ropes to slowly get to their feet. They meet in the centre of the ring, and Kensuke hits a Northern Lights Suplex on Kobashi. He doesn’t go for the cover however, instead he lifts Kobashi up again and goes for another Northern Lights Suplex, only to be hit by another Burning Lariat from Kenta Kobashi. Kobashi doesn’t fall near to Sasaki to make another cover attempt, but begins to crawl over to him. As Kobashi puts his arm over the chest of Sasaki, the bell goes as the thirty minute time limit expires. Wrestlers from both promotions enter the ring and aid the broken bodies of Kensuke and Kobashi. When they eventually make their way to their feet, Kobashi and Kensuke shake hands and embrace. They then take a microphone each and address the people in attendance at the Tokyo Dome. Kobashi thanks the crowd for their support, and asks the fans to help the NOAH dream live on forever. Kensuke also thanks the fans for coming, and thanks Kobashi for giving him such a tough challenge. He says that Kobashi/Kensuke isn’t over yet though, and that he demands a rematch take place with no time limit. Kobashi agrees, and they shake hands once more as the show comes to a close.

WAR On NOAH!, 25/05/05

Tokyo Dome

52,000 Fans

1. Tiger Emperor IPB Image defeats Masato Yoshino with a modified Tiger Driver. (13:04)

2. Katsuyori Shibata defeats Go Shiosaki IPB Image when Shibata forces the submission via a Cross Camel Clutch. (12:51)

3. Andrei Arlovski defeats Tamon Honda IPB Image with a Russian Neck Drop. (14:35)

4. Yoshihiro Asai, MOCHI & Ishi Mori defeat Kendo Kashin, Kazunari Murakami & Dragon Kid when Asai makes Murakami submit in a Dragon Sleeper. (21:16)

5. Jushin Thunder Liger & Jinsei Shinzaki defeat Takashi Sugiura IPB Image & Mohammed Yone IPB Image when Shinzaki uses the Nenbutsu Powerbomb on Yone. (17:07)

6. Yoshinobu Kanemaru IPB Image defeats CIMA with the Revolution Brainbuster. (18:57)

7. The Great Sasuke defeats Naomichi Marufuji IPB Image with The Waterfall. (17:12)

8. Genichiro Tenryu, Magnum TOKYO & K-Ness defeat Riki Choshu, Satoru Sayama & Super Shisa when Tenryu uses the 55-Year-Old on Sayama. (26:31)

9. Takeshi Rikioh IPB Image & Takeshi Morishima IPB Image defeat Akira Taue IPB Image & Toshiaki Kawada when Rikioh uses the Muso on Taue. (24:45)

10. Kensuke Sasaki v Kenta Kobashi IPB Image comes to a draw when the time limit expires. (30:00)

Edited by Ganon Dun

27th May 2005

Several participants for the upcoming Yoshiaki Fujiwara Retirement Show had a thing or two to say.

user posted image

HUSTLE Captain Naoya Ogawa, who has recently been making regular appearances on New Japan tours is eagerly awaiting the event. He claimed that he had a great deal of respect and admiration for Fujiwara, and vowed to carry on the his style and teach it to younger generations. Ogawa also expressed great interest in getting his hands on Genichiro Tenryu, but more importantly, he saw the tag match as a way in which to get some redemption where Toshiaki Kawada was concerned; having yet to gain a victory over Kawada since his loss to him at HUSTLE-8. In closing, Ogawa stated that he looked forward to teaming with Masaaki Satake, and that he was pleased to see that Satake felt fit enough to return to active competition.

user posted image

'The World's Most Dangerous Man' Ken Shamrock is well known in the world of shoot fighting and mixed martial arts, and has a great deal of professional wrestling experience from his time spent with World Wrestling Entertainment. Shamrock said that it was an honour to be a part of Fujiwara's retirement show, and that he was considering making a return to professional wrestling on a more regular basis. He also claimed that Murakami was not experienced enough to pose any kind of threat to him at the Retirement Show.

user posted image

Long time partner and rival of Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Akira Maeda would be coming out of retirement for one more match against the legendary and innovative Fujiwara himself. Maeda claimed that he was by no means fit enough to return to wrestling full time, but that he would be prepared to give Fujiwara all he has when the time comes, as Fujiwara deserves no less.

user posted image

Tokimitsu 'Kendo Kashin' Ishizawa stated that in respect for Fujiwara, he would be wrestling as Ishizawa, and not Kendo Kashin; he would not be using the trickery that would be seen from Kashin, he would be fighting with skill alone. He added that he was confident in his ability to defeat Mashimo.

YOSHIAKI FUJIWARA RETIREMENT SHOW

Tokyo Korakuen Hall

30/05/05

2. Shiro Koshinaka, Katsuyori Shibata & Naohiro Hoshikawa v Tatsumi Fujinami, Nobutaka Araya & Nobukazu Hirai

3. Ken Shamrock user posted image v Kazunari Murakami

7. Genichiro Tenryu & Toshiaki Kawada v Masaaki Satake & Naoya Ogawa user posted image

8. Fujiwara Retirement Match: Yoshiaki Fujiwara v Akira Maeda

Edited by Ganon Dun

29th May 2005

user posted image

In an interview for Sportsnavi.com, Katsuyori Shibata announced that after the Yoshiaki Fujiwara Retirement Show he would be travelling to the US for a week or so to get some additional training and experience. He said that he would be training harder than usual, and that when he returned he would be expecting a Japan J-1 Heavyweight Title match, considering his recent victory over Tatsumi Fujinami, and his sterling success record in Wrestle Association "R" thus far. In closing, Shibata claimed that if he didn't get this title shot that he was so deserving of, then he would have to consider if Wrestle Association "R" was the right place for him to continue his career.

Edited by Ganon Dun

YOSHIAKI FUJIWARA RETIREMENT SHOW 30/05/05

IPB Image

The Tokyo Korakuen Hall presents, in association with Wrestle Association "R"; the Yoshiaki Fujiwara Retirement Show.

Well over 2,000 fans had sold out the Korakuen Hall to see the final match in the career of Yoshiaki Fujiwara, and to be a part of the event that shall commemorate his influential and innovative career. Before the show kicked off, the fans were treated to a video packaged featuring some of the classic Fujiwara bouts, in particular his matches against Maeda from Pro-Wrestling Fujiwara Gumi amongst many others. Fujiwara came to the ring to kick things off, where he explained the rules of the matches for the evening; each match would have a thirty minute time limit, and victory can only be achieved through either one pin fall or submission, through three knock downs or through one participant of any match not being able to answer to the ten count once downed. He then asked the crowd to enjoy the show before sitting at ringside. Notably, mixed martial arts fan and pro wrestler Bill Goldberg was in attendance for the event.

Kaientai Dojo graduate and relative new comer to Wrestle Association "R" Kengo Mashimo came at Ishizawa very aggressively when the bell rung. He ran towards Ishizawa and threw a spinning roundhouse at his head that gave Mashimo the advantage with the first knock down of the bout. Mashimo tried to maintain the offence and pace, but Tokimitsu was quick to take him to the mat and slow him down with a drop toe hold, followed by a side headlock. Ishizawa began working on the left arm of Mashimo with a short arm scissors amongst a variety of holds. Mashimo managed to battle back for a moment, hitting a dropkick on Ishizawa that gave Mashimo his second knock down of the bout. As Mashimo pulled Ishizawa to his feet, Ishizawa leaped up and applied a cross armbreaker on Mashimo. Mashimo made several desperate attempts at reaching the ropes, but the pain was too much for him, giving Ishizawa the victory via submission.

Koshinaka and Araya start the match off, with Araya hitting Koshinaka with a sudden lariat, which nearly takes him from his feet. Koshinaka responds by throwing Araya into the corner and following up with a clothesline. Araya fights out of the corner with a number of sumo palm strikes that convince Koshinaka to make a somewhat aggressive tag to Shibata. Shibata circles Araya for a few moments, then swings a roundhouse for his head that comes a little short. Araya takes advantage of this, and rushes in with a back suplex on Shibata. Throughout the match, Koshinaka and Shibata exchanged aggressive tags and showed some resentment at having to tag with each other. Fujinami made an attempt at taking advantage of this situation, and looked to get revenge on Shibata, but the Heisei Ishingun members who were around the ring dragged him outside and kept him occupied. Shibata managed to stay focused enough as the match came to a close, and when Hirai charged at Shibata he received a sharp kick to the gut, followed by a powerbomb pin that got the three. After the match, the Heisei Ishingun members started pushing around Shibata, but Shibata just walked away. Backstage later, Koshinaka said that he was angry at Shibata for believing that he is so good that he should get a J-1 Title shot before anyone else, particularly himself.

3. Ken Shamrock v Kazunari Murakami

Kendo Kashin (mask and all) accompanied Murakami to the ring for this bout, and stayed in his corner, however Ken Shamrock seemed completely unphased by this, visibly focused on the task at hand. The two men walked straight to the centre of the ring and went nose to nose before coming to blows. They exchanged straight punches to the head for some time, until Shamrock rocked Murakami with a kick to the side of the head. Murakami shook off the cob webs and struck back with a huge right hand that staggered Shamrock. They brawled around the ring, exchanging punches with one another Murakami led Shamrock into his corner, and 'accidentally' swung an elbow at the referee. Kashin grabbed the ankles of Shamrock and pulled him out from the ring. Kashin grabbed a chair and swung it at the right arm of Ken Shamrock several times. Kashin rolled Shamrock back into the ring, just as Murakami was helping the referee to his feet. Yoshiaki Fujiwara was shown yelling at Kashin and swinging punches at him for behind the barricade. In the ring however, Murakami locked a Fujiwara Armbar onto the right arm of Shamrock. Refusing to give in, Shamrock simply grabbed and screamed at the referee. However fearing that Shamrock's arm could be broken, the WAR official called a stop to the match. Murakami and Kashin made a speedy exit, whereas Shamrock tried to kick at the referee whilst tending to the pain in his right arm, angry with his decision.

As the match begun, Takayama walked confidently towards Ryuma Go. Go took Takayama by surprise however, arm dragging him to the canvas and locking in an armbar. Takayama managed to fight out of the armbar and got to his feet. Before he could retaliate, Fujita called for Takayama to tag him in. Fujita walked straight towards Go and threw several punches that Ryuma just managed to dodge. Go then tagged in Choshu, who began winding up his arm, signalling for his Riki Lariat. Choshu ran to the ropes, but was caught by a knee in the back from Takayama. Choshu turned and struck Takayama with an elbow, but Fujita capitalised and used an amaresu takedown on Choshu then began kneeing into the side of him. Choshu managed to escape however, and got a few kicks into Fujita, dragging him into the corner to tag in Ryuma. Ryuma snapmared Fujita and applied a reverse chin lock. As the match came to its conclusion, Fujita brawled with Choshu on the outside, as Ryuma was hammering on Takayama in a corner in the ring. Ryuma took a few steps back and charged at Takayama, but he sidestepped and Ryuma ran into the turnbuckles head first. As he staggered from the corner, Takayama came off the ropes and caught Go with a vicious knee. He followed up with a cover that got the three to give Takayama and Fujita the victory. Choshu seemed to be greatly angered by this result.

Starting off very tentatively, Arlovski and Takada began exchanging low kicks as the match began. Takada threw a high roundhouse kick that came just short of Arlovski, and Arlovski threw a few punches that Takada managed to dodge. Seemingly amused by this, Takada smiled and turned to face the crowd, leaning on the top rope. However this seemed to really irritate Arlovski, who charged at Takada with a lariat, taking both of them over the top rope to the outside. Arlovski threw Takada to the railings, and then followed up with a jumping high kick to the face that knocked Takada over the railings. The referee tried desperately to get the two back into the ring, but Arlovski showed no interest in returning, instead continued to beat on a bloodied Takada on the outside. Fujiwara made an attempt at separating the two, but to no success. Later on, reporters caught up with Arlovski, where he told Takada that he doesn't play games, and that he doesn't appreciate people turning their back on him. He then added that if Takada is interested in actually fighting him, then he is more than ready.

As the match began, Suzuki threw several kicks to the legs and side of Sasaki, but Sasaki barely moved. Sasaki then offered Suzuki another few free shots at him, and Suzuki was quick to oblige, kicking and chopping at Sasaki. These shots had little effect on Sasaki however, so Sasaki decided to take his free shot, which was a lariat that turned Suzuki upside down. He then lifted Suzuki and chopped him several times across the chest, but Suzuki managed to dodge one, and caught Sasaki in a choke sleeper taking him to the ground with it. Sasaki managed to fight it however, and got to his feet, using a shoulder throw on Suzuki to escape the hold. As the match came to its conclusion, Suzuki was wearing down Sasaki with several kicks to the chest that put him down to one knee. Suzuki kept kicking at Sasaki, knocking him down to all fours. In a rush of adrenaline, Sasaki managed to fight off the pain and got to his feet. He hit Suzuki with more chops to the chest, followed by a Northern Lights Driver. That was enough for the Japan J-1 Heavyweight Champion to get the win. Backstage, in response to Shibata's demand for a title shot, Sasaki said that he was ready for anything and anyone, and that he didn't care who his next challenger was.

7. Genichiro Tenryu & Toshiaki Kawada v Masaaki Satake & Naoya Ogawa

As the match began, Naoya Ogawa who said he was representing HUSTLE and not New Japan, demanded that he face Kawada. Tenryu refused him this however, instead charging at Ogawa and hitting him with a rolling savate kick that knocked him into the corner. Tenryu then set Ogawa on the top turnbuckle and hit him with an avalanche DDT that got a great reaction from the Korakuen crowd. As he lay on the ground nearly motionless, Tenryu hit Ogawa with a few kicks to the face, to little or no response from Ogawa. Satake then rushed into the ring and pushed Tenryu away, before dragging Ogawa to the corner and tagging himself in. Tenryu kicked Ogawa, who was lying on the apron, to the outside, but turned around to be kicked across the side of the head by Satake. Satake then began to work on the legs of Tenryu, as Ogawa was helped to his feet outside by the HUSTLE wrestlers who had accompanied him to the ring. As the match was nearing the twenty minute mark, Ogawa, who was the illegal man at this point, pulled Kawada from the apron and hit him with an STO on the outside. When he hit the ground, Kawada clutched at his neck; seemingly hampered by an injury after his WAR On NOAH match. On the inside however, Satake swung several punches at Tenryu, but they came just short. Tenryu hit Satake with a kick to the gut, and followed it with the Powerbomb Pin to get the three count. Although he lost the match, Ogawa still seemed very pleased with the result.

8. Yoshiaki Fujiwara v Akira Maeda

Fujiwara took to the microphone before the match began, and said that he was a little disappointed with the way some people had conducted themselves throughout the event; and apologised to the fans. Maeda however, said that he can understand the frustration of the likes of Arlovski. Maeda and Fujiwara shook hands before the bell. Both workers were very tentative going into the match, throwing quick open hand strikes at one another, that came to little effect. Maeda began throwing low kicks to the shins on Fujiwara, but Fujiwara managed to catch a leg, and swept the other to take Maeda to the ground. Fujiwara then dropped an elbow on the leg of Maeda and began to apply pressure on the knee and ankle, before moving to the arms. The match continued as a very match based, clean cut fight between both wrestlers. Maeda paid particular attention to the legs of Fujiwara throughout the match, whereas Fujiwara would work consistently on the arms of Maeda. Maeda's temper seemed to be getting the better of him however, as he became visibly frustrated whenever Fujiwara got the better of him. Maeda began throwing violent kicks at Fujiwara, but Fujiwara did his best to dodge them. Fujiwara caught one of the kicks, spun Maeda around and locked in the Fujiwara armbar. Maeda managed to get to the ropes, and then started to get to his feet. As he was rising however, Fujiwara struck Maeda with a sudden kick to the back of the head that put Maeda back down on the mat. Fujiwara then capitalised and locked Maeda in the Tangled Kimura to get the submission victory. Maeda shook hands with Fujiwara and bowed deeply before leaving the ring. Fujiwara took to the microphone again and gave many thanks. Tenryu, President Takei, Takada, Maeda and Ogawa came down to the ring, where they lifted Fujiwara onto their shoulders as the event came to a close.

YOSHIAKI FUJIWARA RETIREMENT SHOW, 30/05/05

Tokyo Korakuen Hall

2,100 Fans - Super No Vacancy

1. Tokimitsu Ishizawa defeats Kengo Mashimo via submission with a Cross Armbreaker. (8:03)

2. Shiro Koshinaka, Katsuyori Shibata & Naohiro Hoshikawa defeat Tatsumi Fujinami, Nobutaka Araya & Nobukazu Hirai when Shibata used a Powerbomb Pin on Hirai. (15:33)

3. Kazunari Murakami defeats Ken Shamrock via submission with a Cross Armbreaker. (11:46)

4. Yoshihiro Takayama & Kazuyuki Fujita defeat Riki Choshu & Ryuma Go when Takayama hits a Running Knee Attack on Go. (17:12)

5. Andrei Arlovski v Nobuhiko Takada is ruled a no contest, as neither man returns to the ring. (13:01)

6. Kensuke Sasaki defeats Minoru Suzuki with a Northern Lights Bomb. (16:58)

7. Genichiro Tenryu & Toshiaki Kawada defeat Masaaki Satake & Naoya Ogawa when Tenryu uses a Powerbomb Pin on Satake. (21:45)

8. Fujiwara Retirement Match: Yoshiaki Fujiwara defeats Akira Maeda via submission with the Tangled Kimura. (19:01)

Edited by Ganon Dun