2005 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Inductees

Hobo

CEREMONY WILL BE HELD MONDAY, MARCH 14, 2005 IN NEW YORK

New York, New York, December 13, 2004 -The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation today announced its 2005 Inductees. The announcement was made by Executive Director Suzan Evans.

The following artists will be inducted at the Twentieth Annual Induction Ceremony, which will be held Monday, March 14th in New York at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel:

Buddy Guy - Known as the towering master of Chicago blues guitar, he is a musician's musician who has had a major influence over countless guitarists including Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jeff Beck, Pete Townshend and Keith Richards.

Percy Sledge - Nicknamed "The Golden Voice of Soul," Sledge sired the legendary Muscle Shoals sound. His vocals on songs such as "When a Man Loves a Woman," "Take Time to Know Her," "It Tears Me Up" and "Warm and Tender Love" resonate around the world as he continues to tour the Americas, Europe, Asia, and Africa.

The O'Jays (Eddie Levert, Bobby Massey, William Powell, Sammy Strain, Walter Williams) - The Ohio based group landed on Gamble & Huff's Philadelphia International Records in 1972, becoming the premier vocal standard-bearers for the sound that dominated black music for nearly a decade. They have amassed dozens of hits including "Love Train," "Backstabbers," and "For the Love of Money," and their smooth style has never gone out of vogue.

The Pretenders (Martin Chambers, Pete Farndon, James Honeyman-Scott, Chrissie Hynde) - Formed in late Seventies London, The Pretenders have endured as one of the most successful groups to emerge from the New Wave era. Singer and rhythm guitarist Chrissie Hynde writes songs (such as "Brass in Pocket, "Back on the Chain Gang," "Don't Get Me Wrong" and "Middle of the Road") about everyday survival with a tough, self-assured persona.

U2 (Bono, Adam Clayton, The Edge, Larry Mullen Jr.) - This quartet from Dublin has displayed an extraordinary capacity to create exhilarating music that continues to change with the times. Their creative restlessness has given each new record a never-before-heard style that influenced a countless number of artists. Songs such as "One," "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" address complex, compelling social and spiritual issues but still manage to be accessible. The band's recently released record, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb ranks among their best work and they will embark on a world tour in 2005.

In addition, the following will be inducted in the Lifetime Achievement in the Non-Performer category:

Frank Barsalona - The founder and president of Premier Talent Agency, Barsalona created the first legitimate rock and roll booking agency. Along the way, he single handedly reinvented the way artists, agents, venues and promoters did business. His roster included Led Zeppelin, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Pretenders, The Who and U2.

Seymour Stein - The Chairman of Sire Records, Stein co-founded the label in 1966, and has been one of the most successful and influential executives in the music business. His ability to discover new talent led to signings of many groundbreaking artists such as The Ramones, Madonna, The Pretenders, Talking Heads, Seal, Depeche Mode, Ice-T, The Cure, The Smiths, kd Lang and Barenaked Ladies. The label is still going strong after nearly 40 years and still innovative with recent singings including The Von Bondies, HIM, Regina Spektor, The Fags and The Veronicas.

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria considered includes the influence and significance of the artist's contribution to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll. Past Inductees include: Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Cream, Bruce Springsteen and The Rolling Stones.

The Foundation's nominating committee, composed of rock and roll historians, selects nominees each year in the "artist" category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of about 700 rock experts.

Suzan Evans has been Executive Director of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation since it formed in 1983. The first induction ceremony was held in 1986. All inductees are represented in the "Hall of Fame", a permanent exhibit at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame & Museum, in Cleveland Ohio. The Museum contains the largest collection of rock and roll artifacts that chronicles the history of popular music.

-------------

My thoughts on this, u2 are the only ones I really know all that well. Although if they're hall of fame worth, I'm in two minds over it.

Fucking U2? Honestly now, this is getting more ridiculous every year. Their music gets more and more bland with each release and their crowning achievement with the new album? A fucking IPod commercial. Gimme a break. Seriously, after all these years they just decide to induct Percy Sledge and U2 gets the nod too? Don't get me wrong, U2 has put out some good music in the past, but Hall of Fame worthy? Hardly.

Fucking U2?  Honestly now, this is getting more ridiculous every year.  Their music gets more and more bland with each release and their crowning achievement with the new album?  A fucking IPod commercial.  Gimme a break.  Seriously, after all these years they just decide to induct Percy Sledge and U2 gets the nod too?  Don't get me wrong, U2 has put out some good music in the past, but Hall of Fame worthy?  Hardly.

Personally, I like the new album, and I think that they deserve to go in the Hall Of Fame, but thats probably my own personal bias coming through.

Personally, I like the new album, and I think that they deserve to go in the Hall Of Fame, but thats probably my own personal bias coming through.

After re-reading my post, I was a little harsh, but still my main point stands. There are more bands deserving of the nod than U2.

After re-reading my post, I was a little harsh, but still my main point stands. There are more bands deserving of the nod than U2.

This is my favorite Class of RnR HOF inductees ever!

Buddy Guy is great, my dad's a huge Percy Sledge fan so I grew up listening to him, same with the O'Jays and the Pretenders. And I'm a big U2 fan.

This will probably be my favorite until 2008 when Metallica goes in.

And there are bands already in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame less deserving as well. The Righteous Brothers anyone? At least U2 released a few timeless classics.

But you never said anything about Wannabe being a timeless classic did you?

When those two songs transcend the time from which they were written to now, albiet through movie soundtracks, I'd consider them pretty timeless.

Guest JT179

Lynyrd Skynyrd has been on the ballot for several years now, and still has yet to get in. Its really beginning to tick me off, because they deserve to be in the Rock 'N' Roll Hall Of Fame. Sooner or later they will get in, they can only wait so long before they will finally make it in.

Guest UmpireAJS

Well U2's last album has been bad,but aside from that MOST of their stuff has been good,I believe thats enough for you to get inducted to HoF, its not like the Current World XI,where the players will get in with RECENT BEST of form.

Good to see the O'Jays too.