Naruto Licensed

Mortis

My mate's trying to get me into FMA now, it sounds absurd.

You don't know what absurd is...

Midori no Hibi

Sawamura Seiji is the most notorious delinquent at his high school -- always getting into fights and causing problems, leaving him single and unlucky with the ladies. After another long day of rejection, Seiji discovers that the love of his life might have finally appeared, but in the unlikeliest of places... his right hand?! Now, in addition to dealing with daily fights and the gossip of his classmates, Seiji must handle a new problem of embarassing proportions: Kasugano Midori, a pretty young girl in place of his hand, who happens to have fallen in love with him!

70.jpg

THAT is absurd.

My mate's trying to get me into FMA now, it sounds absurd.

You don't know what absurd is...

Midori no Hibi

Sawamura Seiji is the most notorious delinquent at his high school -- always getting into fights and causing problems, leaving him single and unlucky with the ladies. After another long day of rejection, Seiji discovers that the love of his life might have finally appeared, but in the unlikeliest of places... his right hand?! Now, in addition to dealing with daily fights and the gossip of his classmates, Seiji must handle a new problem of embarassing proportions: Kasugano Midori, a pretty young girl in place of his hand, who happens to have fallen in love with him!

70.jpg

I recommend Midori no Hibi, it is a great comedic treat.

Other off-the-wall series would be Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu, Green Green TV (bears raping horny schoolboys = so EWB) and FLCL (or FuriKuri, seen it both ways. The main character gets hit in the head with a bass guitar and starts spawning robots out of his forehead, that should be enough said)

On Naruto... I watched up to something like 73 or so and kinda dropped at that point, I got tired of DLing one episode at a time and needed the space in any case. I did dig Naruto though, especially the Haku-Zabusa storyarc in the beginning is extremely well done and full of emotion. I also digged the Chuunin exams quite a bit (I'm a buff when it comes to superpowered kids beating the crap out of each other in tournament formats) Due to it's popularity, I think that Naruto will still get subbed, it's just going to be more "under the table" than now.

Edited by Bushmeister

Cowboy Bebop and Furi Kuri are two of the all time greats of anime.

Midori no Hibi, though bizarre in concept, is cool too.

Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu, bizarre in just about everything, is also cool.

Never heard of Green Green TV, and now I kind of wish I never had. :shifty:

Anyway, so I've watched episode 123 of Naruto. Here I present my review of the animation - since that was what was being discussed ("No other animated series can compare to there current graphics", to quote directly) - and I obviously cannot make comment on the plot or other such factors, working from a single episode as I am.

Please note that I'm normally not this picky about anime animation, but against such claims I have no choice but to show no mercy:

--------------------------

Overall, I was not impressed.

First of all I should say that the first 45 seconds of the opening video were very snazzy indeed, and the animation during the fight sequences was above average. There were a couple of odd moments where they had some notably good animation on the grass as well.

Unfortunately, that's about all.

You can literally feel the budget being sucked out of every non-fighting scene in the episode. If I got a stopwatch and timed what proportion of the episode was spent in the ever-popular "tension pose" (an incredibly cheap animation method, where half a dozen frames are put on loop to make a character's eyes shake, or their fists vibrate, or any other body part, in an attempt to accentuate strain/intensity/shock), it would probably amount to over a third. Possibly encroaching on half.

As I said, the fight scenes were above average. When I say the fight scenes, I mean the 4 or 5 actual moves or kicks that were made in the entire episode. But of course, when every such move is preceeded by speed lines (the classic anime "you can't tell because I'm not actually moving in this frame, so just to let you know that I'm coming in FAST~!" motif), and followed by an extended slow motion "look at me, wasn't I so cool for dodging that?" shot, you'll have to look out for the good animation or you'll miss it.

The pace is slowed further by significant amounts of time being spent on a still close-up of characters' faces as they go through their internal monologues, or perhaps just look shocked instead. You find yourself actively waiting for something to happen. The fact that such a thought even occurs to you is a bad sign that the episode is beginning to drag.

Of course the character design is very classic of the old-style "shounen" anime (boys' anime) which, while not to my personal taste, cannot be held against it as it is entitled to whatever design style it chooses. Just to be clear about this - my criticism is of the animation, not the style.

In all, the animation was very average as far as TV series go (and nothing on par with any OVA, which generally spend far more time improving their animation due to only having a few episodes to work on) and the episode did not increase my desire to investigate the series any further. Uninspired animation, bad pacing, almost nothing achieved in the episode - typical examples of bad shounen anime in just about every way.

Let's face it...it has far too much Dragonball in it.

That was my honest opinion.

Edited by stokeriño

Like I said 123 isn't the best episode and I suggested 110-119, 50 60/61.

Naruto is very monologue driven, and is inspired by Dragonball, but is alot better than Dragonball. Look at the way they explain Chakra, and jutsu's. Actually using seals etc. it's fascinating the three arts of Nin, Gen, and Tai. Plus 123 is awful when you compare it to Rock Lee/Gaara. Go look for the Rock Lee/Gaara, or if you have AIM/MSN PM me and I'll send the Rest In Pieces music video featuring Sasuke/Itachi. If you take any of those episodes you'll be pleased. 123 had no action in it really, the best part was Rock Lee getting drunk and Gai running into the door.

You're trying to hard.

Why the hell are you even in this thread? Shoo.

Um, harsh perhaps? Unwarrented certainly.

The website I use for these things seems to be down at the moment. If I can get episode 60, 61 etc I'll have a look, but it'll be its last chance.