MVP Baseball 2005

Cole

I've found that I hit homeruns with just about anyone (except the 20 something year old guy that has half bar overall rating that I signed from free agency and the computer wants to put in the game at third base) by pressing the left stick diagonally up and to the left or right (pulling the ball since I usually tend to swing a little early anyways) depending on the placement of the pitch.

That got me 2 homeruns with Dimitri Young in one game (which I intervened in the 6th inning and started out down 4-1 but came back thanks to those two homeruns).

I also for some reason, hit a lot of home runs with Vina though he has poor power in the game. Mostly though, if you hold up and inside, and you get a slightly inside pitch, if you can make decent contact you should get a homerun or at least a hit off the wall.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm playing on Pro right now..

I've won a close game...then lost a close game...then blew a team out....then blew a team out....then won a close game.

When I say close game I mean it was a Save situtation.

I think that Pro is the level for me right now...I might move up to the next one (MVP is it?) during the season.

Guest Muthafawkkinmatt

I came close today on MVP.. I lost to STL in extra innings 4 to 3. It was a hell of a game, went 13 innings, they won with a slow roller up the middle :-/. The game was super interesting I decided to take out my starter as soon he allowed a run, that was in like the 2nd so Brandon Claussen came in and pitched 5 scoreless innings before allowing a two run shot. Pujlos was thrown out at the plate twice by my center fielder and then in the bottom of the ninth I tied it up with a 3 run shot by Willy Mo Pena! Only to lose in extra innings

I have my owner mode where I managed every home game for the first two years, built up my stadium and the team. So I'm in the third year and I started playing and on Pro. I swept SD but it wasn't easy. One run games each time...

I suppose maybe I was playing on Rookie mode. I don't think I was, but it's possible. I don't think I ever changed the difficulty though so it should have been on the default.

I can't check now though as I had rented the game and it's gone back now.

I've just finished my first season with the Pirates. We lost to LA in the divisional series after winning the wildcard a game behind Cinicinatti.

My experience with the arguing calls feature, it'll get you some close calls if you argue calmly, but if you get screwed you should always argue as it'll pump up your players and you'll get better contact etc in a close game.

I'm about to begin an owner mode game, will see how this goes

Has anyone ever gotten a call changed from arguing? I haven't yet.

I got a dynasty central account for my name. So if people wanna sign up here for their MVP 2005 game, I'm posting mine. I guess we can all post ours if others sign up and see how eachother are doing... Mines a new one with the Rockies.

My Rockies Dynasty

They won't change the call. The scenerios where things have changed for me using the argue feature:

1) If the game is close and your player gets called out on a really close call, but they ARE out... you go out and argue but don't get kicked out of the game... your team will pump up at the support you show and you will get a bit better contact, and you will probably get the next close call.

2) If the game if close and your player gets called out on a call where he was safe, or like he gets called out on a check swing that he didn't go on... I go out and argue really heated and usually get ejected... your team will get pumped up, get better contact bit better power... you will get the next close call.

3) Say, like Midget said, the ump isn't giving your corners. Go argue, but don't get called out... likely you will get corners now.

4) You argue when your player is clearly out in a game that is clearly over... like you have a 10 run lead or whatever. Your players won't be impressed and they will get worse contact/power. You won't get the next close call.

Dunno if these are all the things that can happen but they are what I've experienced.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Muthafawkkinmatt

I finally beat the computer on MVP!! 4 to 3, a walk off homerun by Jiminez as I am the Reds put me over the Dodgers!! The Dodgers are tough, they signed Delgado! But I beat them, Jiminez will be a lifetime Red after this game.

20 games in with my Red Sox in Dynasty Mode, on Pro level. Record is something like 15-5, so I'm thinking its getting a bit easy right now. I might play some exhibition games on All Star, and tweak the sliders to make it more challenging. Then again, I'm not really blowing teams out, so I don't know...

Had real problems hitting home runs when I first got the game. I'm getting better, but I still pop up a fair few when I try to hit out. Also, I keep trying to hit homers with my power guys, and their averages suffer as a result. Manny has 7 HRs so far, but is batting at something like a .260 clip. Also, I'm not giving up too many runs, even with Pitch Meter difficulty up to 50 and control down to -50. Should get better when I move up to Allstar.

My starters are all doing really well. Clement, Schilling and Wells all have ERAs between 2.50 and 3, which is good and realistic. Wakefield and Arroyo are both coming in under 2 though, which is a bit weird. Again, should get better results when I move up a level. Big stars for me so far have been Varitek (.380, 4HR) and Mueller (.350ish, 4HR). Haven't even been trying to hit homers with Mueller, he just keeps depositing balls over the monster. Big busts so far are Renteria (.250, 2HR), Bellhorn (.230ish, 2HR) and Millar (.240ish, 3HR). Ortiz got injured running into second on a line drive a few games ago, and will miss six weeks. Billy McMillon is his replacement in the majors, and Doug Mirabelli will take over as DH (he was doing great as a pinch-hitter and catcher for Wakefield, but has being horrible since starting to play every day). Bullpen has been pretty bipolar -- Timlin, Mantei and Foulke are sure-things (all ERA under 2, Foulke has four saves) but Embree has been streaky (4.4ish ERA) and Koch (I signed him to flesh out the middle relief corps), has given up a ton of hits and HRs, and has an ERA just under nine. Highlight of the season so far for me: Drilling Kazmir with a line-drive on the inside of the leg and then later getting the news that he'd been placed on the sixty-day DL.

All in all, an excellent game. Pretty realistic even when you play out games, and really captures the feel of the game well.

Oh, and everyone should lower Melvin Mora's stats (Power in particular). He's getting ridiculous in my dynasty -- on pace to hit 80HRs, at a .390 BA.

First of all... I must say that this game is sweet.

I'm playing an owner mode season with the Royals (worst team in the game... what the?). I've only made about two trades. I traded #3 pitcher Brian Anderson for Tony Womack since the team needs some speed. I've traded some guy who was bitching about not getting PT on the big league squad for a prospect at 3B.

My record is about 26-27 I think with Eli Marrerro and Ruben Gotay each hitting around .340 and everyone else below .300 or barely over. I sim/manage about half my games, and it keeps things pretty square stats wise.

It's kind of strange playing in such a tiny stadium, and I imagine it's going to take a LONG time before I get too many upgrades since my payroll is tiny, and they predict I'm going to lose around 7 million this year I guess. It's kind of sweet being able to make your own ballpark though, no complaints from me.