WCW 1996

Cole

Guest Prototype

WCW Souled Out 1996 Prediction Contest

Brian Pillman vs. Jushin Thunder Liger

Fire And Ice vs. Road Warriors vs. Harlem Heat vs. Public Enemy - Elimination - Tag Titles

Chris Benoit vs. Johnny B. Badd - TV Title

Scott Steiner vs. Curt Hennig - US Title

Randy Savage vs. The Giant

Sting & ??? vs. Ric Flair & Lex Luger

Extras -

Who Will Sting's Mystery Partner Be? Hulk Hogan

Will Anyone New Debut At Souled Out? No

What Match Will Have The Best Crowd Reaction? Sting and ??? vs Luger and Flair

What Match Will Have The Best Quality? Pillman vs Liger

Will Any Titles Change Hands At Souled Out? (One Point For Each Correct Prediction) 1

Who Will Be The First Team Eliminated In The Tag Title Match? Fire and Ice

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the predictions, i want to say that i love this diary. Your writing is good; matches never are boring, and the promos are perfect, especially Ric Flair promos. You've perfectly catched the 'Nature Boy' imago, and the Four Horsemen is all the way good. I hope you can keep this going on... but hey, about the 'Souled Out' logo? Yeah, it rules and i appreciate the one who did it, but... isn't it kinda... well, 'wild' for the year 1996? :P

WCW Souled Out 1996 Prediction Contest

Brian Pillman vs. Jushin Thunder Liger

Fire And Ice vs. Road Warriors vs. Harlem Heat vs. Public Enemy - Elimination

WCW Tag Team Titles

-I believe you're gonna put the Harlem Heat and the Legion of Doom to a feud later on, so 'Heat's victory would be pretty logical. However, i think you're gonna put a little surprise here, and since Public Enemy lost on Saturday Night, i think they're gonna win this time.

Chris Benoit vs. Johnny B. Badd

WCW Television Title

-Despite that Johnny B. Badd a.k.a Marc Mero was gold at the time, Benoit was platinum.

Scott Steiner vs. Curt Hennig

WCW United States Title

-Two midcard titles never change in the same night. :P

-OH YEEEEAAAAAHHH! Everybody's freaked out, freaked out, 'cause the Macho Man is right here and he's kickin' Big Show's ass.

Sting & ??? vs. Ric Flair & Lex Luger

-Mr. Mystery and the partner win. Always.

Extras -

Who Will Sting's Mystery Partner Be?

-Hulk Hogan.

Will Anyone New Debut At Souled Out?

-Yes, althought i don't know who :P

What Match Will Have The Best Crowd Reaction?

-The ME (?) Tag Team Match

What Match Will Have The Best Quality?

-Brian Pillman vs. Jushin Liger

Will Any Titles Change Hands At Souled Out? (One Point For Each Correct Prediction)

-Two, WCW Tag Team and the WCW Television titles.

Who Will Be The First Team Eliminated In The Tag Title Match?

-Fire and Ice.

*Winner Gets To Choose A Match For Nitro Or Saturday Night*

-That'll be me :P

user posted image

WCW Souled Out, January 14th 1996

Live From Chicago, Illinois

The screen starts black and we hear a voice.

Voice: When life gives you opportunities, you take them.

We see Lex Luger attacking Sting

Voice: And when one-person gains, another loses

We see Ric Flair, Arn Anderson and Lex Luger celebrating as Sting lays prone on the mat.

Voice: So, in the end one person always gets Souled Out!

A fast motion of images are shown and then we see the Souled Out logo.

Overall Rating: 88%

-

Tony Schiavone: Welcome to WCW Souled Out! Tonight we have the best action in professional wrestling.

Bobby Heenan: The Horsemen are in a pair of four tonight and they will be taking on Sting and who ever he can pull out of the bar downtown.

Tony Schiavone: This is WCW and we have the best action here Live on Pay Per View! Our first match is going to be a great one as enemies Jushin Thunder Liger, and Brian Pillman are going at it.

Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Brian Pillman

Liger and Pillman put on a show. Pillman upped his in ring game and Liger continued to exhibit his amazing skills just like he does in any other match. The two took the match from the ground, to the air to the ringside floor. On the floor Pillman went back in the ring then got on the top rope and flew off hitting Liger with a plancha.

The two took the action back into the ring. Pillman still had the upper hand after his Arial attack on the outside. Pillman took Liger in and worked him with suplex’s until he blocked one and reversed it. Pillman didn’t take long to get the advantage back and he hit a German suplex and pin. 1…2…3.

Brian Pillman lifts his arms in victory but the referee quickly put his hand down while the announcer makes the announcement.

“As a result of a double pin! This match is a draw!”

Draw After Double Pin

Crowd Reaction: 79%

Match Quality: 74%

Overall Rating: 77%

Jushin Thunder Liger debuted his new gimmick (Foreign Star), it got a positive response.

-

Tony: Wow Brain, I’m sure we’ll see those two match up again.

Bobby: What happened? I missed it. The smell of these fans in Chicago distracted me.

Tony: Oh Brain, don't be cruel

Bobby: Oh yeah I forgot, Indoor plumbing comes next year.

Tony: Next we have the four-way elimination match for the WCW Tag Team Titles!

WCW Tag Team Title Match

Public Enemy vs. Road Warriors vs. Fire and Ice vs. Harlem Heat

Rocco Rock and Animal started that match. The two fought for a few minutes with some brawling and playing too the crowd then it was Scott Norton and Stevie Ray in. The two did the same as the first two in did, brawled and played to the crowd to get them in the match but Stevie Ray dominated this one and took Norton down for three while the other teams kept Ice Train out. Eliminating Fire And Ice.

Hawk came in right after Stevie Ray, He took him out from behind but Booker T saved his brother before Animal could help. The non-legal men from each team go to they’re corners. Stevie Ray took advantage of the interference and threw Hawk around a bit with some hard clotheslines to the head. Sending him crashing to the mat hard each time, Hawk reversed a few punches and then got the control back. He backed Stevie Ray into the corner but Stevie Ray tagged Johnny Grunge in luckily. Grunge had less luck then Stevie Ray did and got eliminated by Hawk after a power slam. Eliminating Public Enemy.

Booker T came in behind Hawk and attacked quickly. Animal tried to come in and help his partner but was stopped by the referee allowing Harlem Heat to double team. They took a few free shots at him and then the referee came back sending Stevie Ray to the corner. Hawk tried to over power Booker T but Booker used his speed so Hawk couldn’t tag out. Harlem Heat isolated Hawk to their side and dis-allowed him to tag out. Stevie Ray came in and softened him up then tagged Booker T back in. Booker T came in and hit an Axe Kick quickly after striking Hawk in the stomach. Stevie Ray went to the other side of the ring (on the floor not through the ring) as Booker T pinned Hawk. Stevie Ray held on to Animal’s leg so he couldn’t move and Booker T got the 1…2…3. Eliminating The Road Warriors and winning the match.

Winners By Pin fall And Still WCW Tag Team Champions: Harlem Heat

Crowd Reaction: 62%

Match Quality: 81%

Overall Rating: 71%

The fans were confused by the gimmick change of Ice Train so soon after his last one. The WCW Tag Team title has lost image. Ice Train is losing overness because of his weak gimmick (Machine)

-

We go backstage to the Horsemen’s locker room, where we see Chris Benoit stretching and Flair getting ready.

Ric Flair: Tonight! Tonight, the Horsemen are going to run wild! And we’ll start with Sting and whatever ring rat he can pull out of his hat.

Arn Anderson enters the room with Lex Luger.

Flair: Lex! Enforcer! We the Horsemen are going to make a statement! And it starts here with Chris winning the Television title.

The screen fades to black and then we cut back to the announcers.

Overall Rating: 95%

Lex Luger debuted his new gimmick (Cocky), it got a positive response. Arn Anderson gained overness from this segment.

-

Tony: Looks like The Horsemen are pretty confident about their odds tonight.

Bobby: As they should be, they’ve got The Nature Boy!

Johnny B. Badd’s music cuts them off and they go to the match

WCW Television Title Match

Chris Benoit vs. Johnny B. Badd

B. Badd seemed out matched in this contest but he fought well. Benoit tried to use his technical skill to keep Badd out of it but to start it wasn’t working, B. Badd reversed a hammerlock overhead suplex and regained his footing then caught Benoit in the face with a kick. B. Badd tried to work over Benoit and finish him off but couldn’t due to Benoit’s un-willingness to lose. This took about two or three minutes until Benoit reversed a power bomb and then hit Johnny B. Badd with a German Suplex.

Benoit motioned he was about to end it by doing the cut throat taunt and then moving to the top rope. Benoit came off hard with a Diving Head but and then pinned for the three.

Winner By Pin Fall And New Television Champion: Chris Benoit

Crowd Reaction: 68%

Match Quality: 81%

Overall Rating: 74%

The WCW Television title has gained in image.

-

We go backstage where we see Sting and he’s talking on the phone.

Sting: Yah. Okay. I’ll see you when you get here, just be ready.

Sting hangs up the phone and walks down the hallway

Overall Rating: 80%

-

Bobby: He must be talking to that ring rat.

Tony: Oh Brain, It could be anyone!

Bobby: It’s Sting, he doesn’t have any friends. Who could he get?

Tony: I guess were going to have to wait and see, right now we have a United States Heavyweight Title match!

WCW United States Title Match

Scott Steiner vs. Curt Hennig

Hennig took Steiner by storm to begin the match, Curt whipped Steiner against the ropes and then dropped down to the mat, Steiner stepped over the downed Hennig. Hennig hopped up quick and caught Steiner on the rebound from the far side with a hard lariat sending Steiner flying. Hennig had Steiner running but the US champion showed he had the belt for a reason and blocked the Hennig-plex with a fist to the stomach.

Steiner used the momentum from the block and knocked Hennig down with a shoulder, He continued and picked Hennig up and slammed him down with a running power slam. Steiner pulled Hennig up again, and Irish whipped him then hit him with a Frankensteiner and pinned him down to the ground. 1…2…3.

After the match Curt Hennig recovered and slid out of the ring and began his walk to the back he pulled the shoulder strap on his ring attire down and exited with his head down.

Winner By Pin Fall: Scott Steiner

Crowd Reaction: 75%

Match Quality: 78%

Overall Rating: 76%

-

Tony: Curt Hennig should in no way be disappointed with his performance tonight!

Bobby: He lost Tony.

Tony: But he showed great heart and came close to winning.

Bobby: But he lost Tony.

Tony: Winning isn’t everything Brain.

Bobby: It is in professional wrestling.

Tony: Brain, As much as I’d love to sit here and argue with you. We have another great match to get to and this one has The Macho Man trying to get revenge on the beatings he has suffered at the hands of The Giant and Kevin Sullivan’s in past weeks.

Savage came out with a fire, trying to get revenge on the actions in the past weeks of The Giant. He tried to take the Giant down with anything he could including, Flying Elbows, Clotheslines, and a flurry of kicks and punches. The Macho Man came at him again with another attack but The Giant caught him in the throat and chokeslammed him. He pinned but Savage was able to get his foot on the rope.

For the next couple minutes The Giant just tossed Savage around from Corner to corner. He tossed Savage into one of the corners but he went over the top rope and down to the floor, this wasn’t a bad thing for Savage as it gave him time to recover as The Giant showboated in the ring. The Macho Man slid back in the ring behind him and hit him in the back with a big dropkick; it sent The Giant over the ropes and to the floor hard. This sent Hugh Morrus down too the ring with Kevin Sullivan and Jimmy Hart following. Morrus attacked Savage and gave the referee no choice but to call for the bell, The Giant got back in the ring and continued the assault on Savage with Morrus while Hart and Sullivan yelled orders in the back. The Giant chokeslammed him and then Hugh Morrus came off the top with a moon Sault (No Laughing Matter) The four left Savage down and went to the back together celebrating.

Winner By DQ: Randy Savage

Crowd Reaction: 92%

Match Quality: 89%

Overall Rating: 91%

-

Tony: The Giant and Hugh Morrus beat down Randy Savage and leave him in the ring! That was un-called for!

Bobby: Kevin Sullivan told Randy Savage to watch out. He didn’t listen to him Tony and it’s his own fault.

Tony: From one Souled Out back round behind a match to another. This is the match we’ve all been waiting for. Who will Sting partner be? Bobby do you have any predictions?

Bobby: I’m not predicting because a prediction is a guess, I know for a fact who Stings partner is.

Tony: Would you care to tell us?

Bobby: Well, it’s the man Sting was talking to on the phone.

Stings music plays as the fans erupt, but Sting comes out alone.

Ric Flair and Lex Luger follow and look cockier then ever.

Sting and??? vs. Ric Flair and Lex Luger

Sting starts the match off against Flair after Luger shy’s away from stepping into the ring with him. Sting and Flair lock up, Sting gets the upper hand and knocks Flair down. The two lock up a few times and for a couple minutes and start to make the pace of the match faster, Sting gets some good blows in on Flair and he goes to make a tag with Luger. He reluctantly tags in; he steps in and goes into a match of power with Sting in the middle of the ring. Sting started to get the upper hand when the crowd got behind him but the Luger kicked him in the gut stopping the hold and gaining the upper hand. Luger use’s some power holds to weaken Stings midsection and upper body to set up the Torture Rack, Luger then tags in Flair.

Flair takes Sting and works him over for his finishing maneuver, The Figure Four Leg Lock. Flair and Luger do this for the next three or four minutes slowing down the match and taking away Sting’s crowd momentum. Luger gets back in the ring and lifts Sting on his shoulders and puts him in the Torture Rack, He has it locked in for about twenty seconds when a loud guitar starts playing. Luger keeps the hold locked in but is obviously distracted by the music.

Everyone turns to the entrance way and out comes a large figure. The man walks down the aisle and is shown to be Hulk Hogan! Luger drops Sting on the ground as Hogan pulls Flair to the floor and punches him to the ground; Hogan walks up the steps and enters the ring to a back pedaling Luger. Luger finally goes ahead and attacks, but Hogan blocks the punch, Luger throws another one and it’s blocked. Hogan then shakes his finger at Luger and begins punching him in the head with a flurry of right hands; He grabs Luger and slams him to the mat. Hogan goes off the ropes and hits a big leg drop on Luger. As he pins Flair gets in the ring but got knocked back to the outside by Sting who recovered. The pin got the 1…2…3 and the win.

After the match Sting And Hogan celebrated in the ring and shook hands then hugged during a huge ovation from the crowd.

Winners By Pin Fall: Sting And Hulk Hogan

Crowd Reaction: 95%

Match Quality: 76%

Overall Rating: 89%

-

Tony: The Hulkster is back! Hulk Hogan And Sting win! Tune in tomorrow to Nitro for the after math of Souled Out! Good night!

The show fades to black.

Overall Show Rating: 82%

Buy Rate: 1.43

Attendance: 15449 people.

Pay Per View Revenue: $3575000

Ticket Sales: $926940

WCW Souled Out Prediction Contest Results

1. Muthafawkkinmatt - 8

2. Basha - 7

2. Baby Hewey - 7

2. Prototype - 7

2. Verder - 7

2. KCC - 7

3. XxCactusmikexX - 6

3. Kempay - 6

4. EZE - 4

I know Prototype should have tied but he didn't give me what titles he predicted to have change hands, saying "1" like he did maybe it to easy for a point. Sorry.

Matt, PM me your match you want.

Edited by Cole37

Guest Prototype

Good show. Somewhat predictable, but good nonetheless. I see a possible face turn for Hennig.

PS- I thought it was pretty obvious which title I though would change hands since I picked Benoit to win his match and the rest of the champs to win theirs, but oh well. No big deal.

Quite a good show Cole, I liked how you wrote up the matches. Seeing as you didn't have much time to build up to the matches it was a good effort. No suprise to me that it was Hogan as the mystery guy, but I'm suprised that Giant and Savage got the highest quality :blink:

Guest Red Devil

Here is the feedback you wanted on the PPV.

The whole show didn't feel like a PPV. Other then the abundance of matches it read like a Nitro. All built up to who Sting's partner would be. The matches were booked well but could've been written better. Hogan returning was predictable but good.

The one thing I don't like in this diary is that I only care about one feud and that's the Sting/Horseman feud. Other then that the rest of the shows are either building up to that or aren't really pulling me in like they should. Hopefully you can flesh out some other characters soon and get some heat for other storylines.

Me likey the poster.. Duh. of course I made it.. lol.

Wasn't a bad event afterall. Some says it felt like a Nitro...

The one thing that I'm quite surprised that Giant and Savage got the highest reaction. I thought Hogan showing up as the mystery partner would change that since he's..well.. He's Hulk Hogan.

I guess the flavor of the month is Giant/Savage.

I enjoyed all the matches, especially Pillman/Lyger.

Keep up the good work.

Can't wait for the next WCW PPV event. :-P

user posted image

WCW Monday Nitro Preview For January 15th 1996

Following World Championship Wrestling’s first Pay per view of the year, and Ric Flair & Lex Luger’s loss to Sting and returning partner Hulk Hogan. What will the four have to say? It will be on Nitro!

Also, we have an update on Randy Savage’s condition after the attack by The Giant and Hugh Morrus. What will The Giant, Kevin Sullivan, Hugh Morrus and Jimmy Hart have to say? Tune in!

In action, Jushin Thunder Liger will be facing Rick Rude. The Road Warriors are taking on The Nasty Boys after last nights Tag Team title elimination match and Alex Wright is taking on Curt Hennig after his great United States title match last night.

All this and more on WCW Monday Nitro!

• 2 weeks later...

user posted image

WCW Nitro January 15th 1996

Live From Cedar Falls, Iowa

The Souled Out logo is shown on the screen then we get a video

Luger gets back in the ring and lifts Sting on his shoulders and puts him in the Torture Rack, He has it locked in for about twenty seconds when a loud guitar starts playing. Luger keeps the hold locked in but is obviously distracted by the music.

Everyone turns to the entrance way and out comes a large figure. The man walks down the aisle and is shown to be Hulk Hogan! Luger drops Sting on the ground as Hogan pulls Flair to the floor and punches him to the ground; Hogan walks up the steps and enters the ring to a back pedaling Luger. Luger finally goes ahead and attacks, but Hogan blocks the punch, Luger throws another one and it’s blocked. Hogan then shakes his finger at Luger and begins punching him in the head with a flurry of right hands; He grabs Luger and slams him to the mat. Hogan goes off the ropes and hits a big leg drop on Luger. As he pins Flair gets in the ring but got knocked back to the outside by Sting who recovered. The pin got the 1…2…3 and the win.

After the match Sting And Hogan celebrated in the ring and shook hands then hugged during a huge ovation from the crowd

Overall Rating: 86%

-

We cut to the Announcers Booth.

Tony Schiavone: Welcome to Monday Nitro! We’re here the night after Souled Out!

Bobby Heenan: Hi.

Tony: Brain, what’s wrong?

Bobby: Hogan. Back.

Tony: Yes indeed Brain. Hulk Hogan was Sting’s mystery partner last night and they went on to win.

Bobby: If it weren’t for that Hogan, Sting would be a broken mess in a hospital bed right now courtesy of Lex Luger and The Torture Rack.

Tony: I’m sure we’ll hear from those three and The Nature Boy tonight about last night’s events. Now we have Dean Malenko taking on Chavo Guerrero Jr.

Dean Malenko vs. Chavo Guerrero Jr

An excellent technical match, which Chavo seemed to gain a lot from, even in a losing effort. Malenko tried to keep Chavo grounded but Guerrero was able to escape a few holds and attempted to change the pace into a faster pace that suited him more then it did Malenko but he had minimal success when he escaped a ground arm bar and was able to get up and bounce off the ropes, with Malenko trying to clothesline him missing and going off the far side but then to get knocked down on the second clothesline. Malenko took him from this and then locked the Texas Cloverleaf on for the submission.

Winner By Submission: Dean Malenko

Crowd Reaction: 58%

Overall Rating: 73%

Chavo Guerrero Jr debuted his new gimmick (Old School Face), it got a positive response.

-

Tony: A great show of technical experience shown by Dean Malenko.

Bobby: And maybe the next match will have normal sized wrestlers.

Tony: Brain, they’re just as skilled as Sting, Ric Flair and Lex Luger.

Bobby: Yah, there just miniatures.

Tony: We’ll maybe this next match will be more to your liking, we have Jushin Thunder Liger facing off against Rick Rude.

Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Rick Rude

A good match of different skills made this match the singles match of the night. Liger used his speed and highflying skills to try and start a fast pace while Rude used his technical and brawling skills to try and keep it slower. The match took turns in both men’s way. Liger knocked Rude down with a drop kick and then came off the top with a flying dropkick just as Rude was getting up. Then after Liger had his run, Rude reversed an attempt to finish him off by Liger and hit a big shoulder block then moving on to an arm bar on the ground and a few shots to the head.

Liger began to fight back and rolled out of the arm bar, He moved to the far side and came flying at Rude with a big cross body and pinned. 1…2…but he kicked out. Liger signaled for the Ligerbomb but Brian Pillman quickly ran down the aisle and into the ring! Liger turned around right into Pillman and got hit with a fist full of rights and left hands, Pillman grabbed Liger and DDT’ed him hard into the mat and resulting in the DQ.

Pillman yelled something at him and then left the ring to boo’s from the crowd

Winner By DQ: Jushin Thunder Liger

Crowd Reaction: 72%

Overall Rating: 80%

-

Commercial Break

-

Tony: Welcome back, Last night at Souled Out, The Giant faced off against Randy Savage. Here’s what happened.

The Macho Man slid back in the ring behind him and hit him in the back with a big dropkick; it sent The Giant over the ropes and to the floor hard. This sent Hugh Morrus down too the ring with Kevin Sullivan and Jimmy Hart following. Morrus attacked Savage and gave the referee no choice but to call for the bell, The Giant got back in the ring and continued the assault on Savage with Morrus while Hart and Sullivan yelled orders in the back. The Giant chokeslammed him and then Hugh Morrus came off the top with a moon Sault (No Laughing Matter) The four left Savage down and went to the back together celebrating.

Guest Prototype

Decent show. Im liking the Horsemen vs Sting and Hulk feud. Id rather see Stine go after the belt than Hogan, but having Hogan vs Flair is realistic.

Guest Jackson

Cole, this is looking good, though I can understand peoples opinions on the PPV feeling like a Nitro. I hope that you can gain interest in other storylines, but apart from that its a good start.

user posted image

WCW Saturday Night Preview For January 20th 1996

WCW Saturday Night comes to you from Vermillion, South Dakota and tonight is going to be a treat.

We have Booker T taking on Brutus. Television Champion, Chris Benoit taking on Konnan for the TV title and The Giant will also be in action.

Saturday Night will also be host to inform you what happened on Nitro this past Monday.

All this and more on World Championship Wrestling, Saturday Night!

I thought, if I gave a look and a review to rvdwannabe, I should really finally get to reading your version of the same show. So that is what i did. I wish the results were better than they are though. First of all, allow me to say that since you don't seem to have gotten a single piece of negative or truly constructive criticsm I hope you understand the way in which I offer this up to you. I don't mean to be harsh or cruel, but I am going to be brutally honest with you

First of all, you lost me as a reader the moment I read WCW Saturday Night and you debuted Rick Rude in an interview segment. Not only did you debut a performer that was retired at this point, but you debuted him in such a way as to make it look like this was his one and only first appearance in WCW. Let me tell you, if Rude re-appeared in WCW in 1996, Mean Gene would react a little differently than he did. Also, Rude wouldn't be returning in a nothing match on SN against Ed Leslie, who for whatever reason you insist on calling Beefcake, a name he was unable to use if memory serves me correctly. Say hi to the first ball you dropped in this diary.

Staying with the theme of debuts in WCW, did you see when Curt Hennig actually did debut in WCW? Whether he was used well or terribly misused in reality, his appearance and presence was a big deal. This was Mr. Perfect dammit, and he was treated with the utmost respect at the time of his debut. He was a legitimate name in this sport in the early to mid 90's, and yet his debut in your WCW is once again nothing. He's just...there. Yes, he got a high profile Title Shot on a PPV, but ihim being there didn't feel special, and of course he did the J-O-B immediately. Bischoff may not have been the best at running things, but one thing he did know how to do was debut somebody important with style and make you WANT to come back the next week to see what he was going to do now that he was in WCW.

Raven also fits this mold. In 1996 his name was synonymous with ECW, which was still very small but was really being talked about on the internet. If you had access to ECW you loved it it seemed, and if you did not you wanted to and read every little bit of info you could find on it. Raven debuting on SN in another nonsignificant interview with Mean Gene shows how little you know about your time period quite frankly.

Where do I go from here? How about some positives. Or rather, the ONLY positive I can think to praise you for. The Horsemen vs. Sting and Hogan feud is truly the brightest spot in your diary. It is picture perfect for this period of time. Hogan is treated as the salvation for everything as he always was, and he outshines Sting the second he arrives back in WCW to help out. Whereas Sting should obviously be the one to get a World Title shot in time, he won't because Hogan has to be the Hero of WCW. Sting looks pitiful really, and that's how WCW always did it. So well done here, you nailed this story and the way it would be booked perfectly.

Okay, now perhaps my biggest gripe. So you don't know that at this time Pillman is still a Horseman. Fair enough. But rather than deal with your mistake after you DO find out in the actual shows, you simply ignore it as if Pillman was never a Horseman. What could have been something good and special, Pillman confronting The Horsemen to find out why he was kicked out, a feud between Pillman and Benoit, a match or two between Flair and Pillman or even Luger and Pillman since Luger took his spot, hell, a shot at elevation when he stands beside Hogan and Sting against The Horsemen, what could have been a great story and a nice move up for Pillman as well as a series of killer matches is simply...ignored.

Hi Cole, look at me, I'm the big ass ball you just dropped. Don't ignore me just because there's another half dozen dropped balls all around you.

Bad booking, a sign of limited creativity, and more than anything, it shows that you can't fix shit as you go along. With this kind of thing happeneing, I sure as hell hope no one in your upper card gets injured, as you're liable to simply ignore that they ever existed.

Do I sound harsh? Do I seem to be taking shots at you when I have no need to be? Maybe I do, but I read this pitiful excuse for a realistic retro diary and it made my stomach churn. I think it's the easiest thing to do to take a time period of a company and do a half assed job at writing a diary, but it takes skill, dedication, and the ability and desire to do SOME research to successfully pull one off. You chose for the former, when your writing ability tells me that had you gone for the latter you might have produced a diary that had some legs and could become something special, and that, sir, is what makes me be harsher. You could have done something good, instead you did something easy.

My final grade for this diary is a solid F.

While I shall not be here reading this anymore, I do wish you continued success. If there's one thing that thrives on EWB, it's mediocrity, and you are surely that. Some will continue to read and love this, and if that's all your strive for then you shall have success no doubt.

TGC

user posted image

WCW Saturday Night, January 20th 1996

Live From Vermillion, South Dakota

Larry Zybysko and Mike Tenay greet us and inform us of a few of the matches we’ll see and then they tell us that we’ll also see what happened on the Nitro after Souled Out. The two then tell us that we have Marcus Bagwell taking on Big Bubba Rogers and lead us to the match.

Marcus Bagwell vs. Big Bubba Rogers

With two larger superstars in the ring the match wasn’t very fast paced but Bagwell did have some fire under him trying to make a name for himself. Bagwell knocked Big Bubba down with a few shoulder blocks but Bubba didn’t stay down for long, he got up and worked on Bagwell’s body with hard punching blows. Bagwell blocked one and countered with a hard counter punch to the face, he then followed up by hitting a suplex on Rogers.

Bagwell took Rogers and hit a swinging neck breaker. Bagwell continued and picked Bubba up and went for a fisherman’s suplex, but it he was un-able to pick Rogers up, Big Bubba reversed it and suplexed Bagwell. He then took some tape out of his pants and wrapped it around his hand, while the referee checked on Bagwell. Marcus got up and got decked by Big Bubba with a big taped right hand to the head, sending him down too the mat. Rogers covered and got the three.

Winner By Pin fall: Big Bubba Rogers

Crowd Reaction: 63%

Match Quality: 75%

Overall Rating: 62%

-

Tenay tells us about what happened about Souled Out in the four-way tag team match and lead us into this clip

Hawk lifted Knobbs onto his shoulders and Animal went off the top rope hitting Brian Knobbs with a clothesline completing the Doomsday Device. Hawk covered 1…2…3.

-

We go to a video clip, the Road Warriors are standing in the ring after they’re match

Animal: BOOKER T! STEVIE RAY! You guys beat us in our hometown of Chicago and we want revenge! So, The Road Warriors are calling you out!

Hawk: OOOOOOHHH WHHHAT A RUUUSH!

Overall Rating: 72%

Booker T gained overness from this segment.

-

Commercial

-

Booker T vs. Brutus

Booker T out worked Brutus and disposed off him quickly, after hitting a high leg kick to the face and then a pin.

Winner By Pin fall: Booker T

Crowd Reaction: 61%

Match Quality: 69%

Overall Rating: 58%

-

Tenay and Zybysko hyped Harlem Heat and then talked about what the Dungeon Of Doom had done to Randy Savage lately moving us into the next match.

Hugh Morrus vs. Norman Smiley

Hugh Morrus used his size to his advantage in this match and controlled Smiley. Morrus tossed him around a bit and showed how powerful he was and then hit the Moonsault, and pinned for the win. Morrus made an example of how dominating The Dungeon of Doom is by destroying Smiley.

Winner By Pin Fall: Hugh Morrus

Crowd Reaction: 47%

Match Quality: 65%

Overall Rating: 52%

-

Mike Tenay talked about how Hulk Hogan was Stings mystery partner at Souled Out and then a clip from Nitro was shown.

Hulk Hogan’s music is playing, He and Sting come out to a huge ovation from the crowd. The get into the ring and began to talk through the cheers.

Hulk Hogan: Well let me tell you something brothers, The Hulkster is back in WCW for one reason and that’s to get that feeling back. The feeling of winning the Heavyweight Title brothers. I’ve been looking for that rush for months, and now that I’m back in World Championship Wrestling brother, I will regain that rush because the little Hulkster’s around the world are sick of seeing the belt on Ric Flair but last night I came back for more then one thing. More then for the belt, more then for the Hulkster’s. I came back for my friend Sting, tell em Stinger.

Sting grabs a microphone from the ring announcer.

Sting: That’s right Hulk, Last night at Souled Out. Luger and Flair had me out numbered two on one and then you came in and evened in up, and for that I say. Thank You.

-

Flair grabs a mic and walks into the ring followed by the other three Horsemen.

Ric Flair: Well, Brothers! You may have won the battle but we won the war, since Ric Flair and The Horsemen, are still in possession of this World Heavyweight Title

Flair shows off the title

Flair: And if you think you’ve got a rush, Hogan. You’ve never felt anything like the rush The Horsemen feel every night! WOOOOO!

Hogan interrupts Flair

Hogan: Flair, if you’re so confident about keeping that title. Put it on the line, me and you. One on One.

Flair: If you think you have a chance in hell, you’ve been taking to many “vitamins” Because tonight. Is the Horsemen’s night, and it will be. Until this Heavyweight title, is gone from around my waist and that’s not happening for a long, long time. WOOOOO!

Hogan tries to attack Flair but Sting holds him back

Flair: Lets go Hulkster! LETS GO!

Sting continues to hold Hogan back but Anderson, Benoit and Luger attack Sting from behind and then continue to Hogan.

The Horsemen go on a four on two attacks, Arn Anderson hits Sting with a big Spinebuster and then Luger racks him up with the Torture Rack while Flair and Benoit laid the boots to Hogan. Flair then locks in the Figure Four.

Sting and Hogan lay on the mat helpless and Flair and Luger release their submissions and The Four Horsemen taunt the crowd as well as Hogan and Sting and then walk to the back

Edited by Cole37

user posted image

WCW Monday Nitro Preview For January 22nd 1996

We will get Hulk Hogan’s and Stings thoughts on what happened last week at the hands of the Horsemen.

Raven is taking on Disco Inferno in what should be a great match between two tough superstars.

The Road Warriors are still waiting for a decision from the Tag Team champions Harlem Heat regarding they’re challenge, will they get an answer on Nitro?

And, Someone very important in World Championship Wrestling is returning, who will it be? Tune in on TNT at 9 pm Monday January 22nd to find out!

Ok it's late/early, I'm doign the insomniac thing as usual and am finally getting round to finishing off reading a diary that I've been wanting to for a while so here's what I'm thinking as we go.......

Liked the backstory, the run down through the last year's PPV's was cool. Bought back some good WCW memories, and some not so good one's.

By the way, other people have pointed out all the inaccuracies already so despite a few of them being a bit of a pain I won't mention them much as we go as I know you've already pretty much acknowledged the Pillman thing, and OMG as US champ and stuff.

Two Norman Smiley things. One, at this point I don't ever remember him dancing. He was too the best that my memory serves me right now juts a very very generic guy slighly above jobber status. Also I don't think he was a good choice to open a show against Dragon.

Scott Steiner winning the belt from OMG was good in so much as it got the strap away from that useless idiot but it all seemed a bit rushed.

You jobbed Renegade to DDP. Nooooooooo, I really liked Renegade and I know people everywhere will either be laughing or saying "twat" but I did, I thought he was cool. I didn't expect you to, but I hoped you'd push him.

Hogan's coming back at Souled Out then? Hmmm, not a bad thing as such but with Hogan I don't think there's any point in trying to hide that it's him. He has draw and name value and I think it's better to sell a PPV by insisting he'll be there, rather than making hints at it some fans won't get.

I thought the portrayal of the Horsemen has been good all Nitro. Sting and Luger vieing for one spot in teh Horsemen could be interesting, but is it a spot they even want?

Rude's a newcomer in WCW, and he's debuting on Saturday Night? Rude's debut back in 91 was massive, and if he were to re-emerge in a wrestling role here it would be massive. Rude's involvement in this diary and how he's jus tbeen worked in there has let me down a lot.

You gave Fire & Ice a win, and against a pretty brutal tag team too. Nice.

Quick point at this stage. At times I think to myself "got Schiavone down nicely there" and at others I just don't feel it. As for Heenan, he can be really hard to do, but I don't think he's quite right either. For Schiavone, if you want tips go read the ACS diary in my sig because that's got him down 100%. Heenan's harder as you have to be funny and not everyone can do it. But he wasn't just some comedy guy. Try to stress the importance of things without overselling them, and try to go beyond the moves of a match in his commentary, he look way beyond what's happening there.

Brian Pillman beat Duggan. Thank God for that. Got any decent plans for Pillman? I'm hoping you do because the guy at this stage had loads of talent.

Badd Vs Benoit on PPV has potential. Benoit's a great worker obviously, and Badd at this point was really entertaining and a really decent in ring talent. That could be really good if you build it a bit between now and Souled Out.

Savage and Giant again has potential but it'll need the buildup. You've begun that but there's a long way to go to get me really caring about a match up between the two.

"Bobby: You know what they say Tony, If you can’t kill em, Sleep with their sister." Amusing

Ok at this point I'm finding some matches to be too short. I'm not a fan of massive write ups and huge detail or play by play. But I'd like to see a bit more on SOME matches. When Mr Perfect and Rick Rude, two pretty large stars at this point, one of whom has come otu of nowhere to make a comeback and one who, hang on, why is Mr Perfect here? When did that happen? Anyway, yeah, those two, this should be huge but the writeup didn't reflect that for me. So Rude debuts and he's lost his second match. Hennig, well, Hennig Vs Steiner could be good. Same as the other Souled Out matches, needs the right buildup, but all in all it's a fresh match.

Luger's turn was pretty good. Of the two Luger would have been the obvious one to turn heel like that, but I always think he fits better with the Horsemen than Sting anyway. Should be some interesting stuff to come out of that

Raven's in WCW now too? What? And again in a debut interview on Saturday Night. Interview's on Saturday Night when Gene doesn't seem to be all that excited aren't the way to debut guys who are "relatively" well known. Looks like Brutus is the "we need someone to job to this debuting guy" wrestler and that's no bad thing as he sucks.

Fire and Ice won again. Good, I like them. I'd like to see a decent push for them and I'm glad Public Enemy got beat there. They were so over rated it's untrue and had almost no talent so it's great imagining them getting stiffed by Norton and IceTrain

Onto the PPV. Now that little video intro bit with the voiceover. Just a little touch, but a nice one. I liked it.

Pillman and Liger was a decent opener. Not sure I'm keen on the draw unless you're goign somewhere with it. While a replay of their excellent matches back in the day is cool, a draw does neither any good and there's no belt for them to feud over right now.

Fire & Ice got eliminated before Public Enemy. Shame. the good work in giving them a couple of strong wins is undone as they're eliminated first here while one of the teams they've already beatn are still in the match. At least Public Enemy were next. That's good. Now I've just seen Road Warriors Vs Harlem Heat the night before on free tv. Why should I be excited by this point in the match? Harlem Heat win again cheaply, I hope this is goign somewhere as the cheap wins aren't helping Harlem Heat much, but the losses, cheap or not, aren't helping the Road Warriors either

Benoit winning the TV title has a lot of potential for you to run with. A certain Arn Anderson is perhaps one of the greatest TV Champions ever. A certain Chris Benoit is at this point very much "the next Enforcer". So there's plenty to work with there.

Ok we know Hogan's going to be here, and we know Sting has a mystery partner. That means it's goign to be Hogan then that he was just talking to on the phone.

Steiner Vs Hennig did its job and it was made to sound like a close match which it was. Still, nobody seems able to build any momentum at the moment. Rude wins one match, then loses his next. Hennis does the same. I want to see someone get pushed, and not just Steiner now that he has the belt.

Savage getting destroyed by the Dungeon was fine, people like Morrus are goign to have to become more than just guys who are in that stable, hang about, and beat people up, otherwise I'll never get interested in them. Morrus has plenty of talent though so there are things you can do with him.

The main event, we all knew it was Hogan and that's fine. It's very much the sort of match I could imagine WCW main eventing a PPV with and it sets up nicely a situation where you've got Sting and Hogan fighting off the numbers game of the Horsemen. This didn't do Sting any favours though. I'll be honest so far I'm not getting into him at all. In fact I'm not even seeing him as strongly as I am Luger. He looked weak in comparison to the guy who just saved his ass and single handedly took out the Horsemen. Sting doesn't look Hogan's equal right now, which to be fair is pretty much how it always was at this point in WCW with Hogan looking above guys like Savage and Sting.

So we move on to Nitro. I'm glad you started with a little recap from the main event and tried to heap some importance on what happened the night before. It's the right way to start the show.

Malenko and Chavo was a much better Nitro opener than Smiley and Dragon. This is more like the sort of thing I'd expect from a Nitro. Just one point, you've got two guys in there who bsaically have to rely on their in ring performances to get over and not their personality. For that to happen they're gonna need more focus put onto what goes on in the ring in their matches.

Rude lost again, albeit by DQ but this all seemed a bit wrong to me. Rude and Liger is a strange match to go with and while I have no problem with Pillman and Liger feuding there's better people than Rude who could have played the supporting role. Last time Rude was in WCW he was a US and "International" World Champion, and now he's just wrestling meaningless matches on Nitro. He's returned to WCW amid no real fanfare and there doens't seem to be a meaningful storyline for him, so why has he come back?

You're capturing this ridiculous character of Sullivan's pretty well. While I don't like it in so much a that I don't think it's a very good character and that I don't much like his stable, I do like it in so much as that it's realistic and you're portraying him just fine.

Sting just looked weak again. Hogan looked like the superstar, and Sting looked like some guy who stood in awe of him. then once the Horsemen came out it was all ok, no real complaints although I did sort of not really realise the show was over. Where was the main event? Strangely structured show for me.

Brutus and Norman Smiley are still getting jobbed out. Long may this continue. Push Morrus to the moon.

So, err yeah, that's my thoughts so far. I am enjoying this diary and will definnitely still be reading but there were lots of little things that turned me off a bit, and some even bigger things that did too. that said you have an interesting storyline with the horsemen, hogan and sting which will keep me coming back while you try to get some other storyliens going too. At the moment outside of that main story, and perhaps Savage and the Dungeon there's really nothing that sticks out in my mind in terms of an actual storyline right now. There's just lots of guys on shows and wrestling each other and stuff, but nobody realluy getting pushed or given a storylline to run with. That'll need to happen so that I can start finding your hugely talented and rather large midcard interesting

Edited by jayden

• 2 weeks later...

user posted image

WCW Monday Nitro January 22nd 1996

Live From Fargo, North Dakota

We see a clip from last week.

Hulk Hogan’s music is playing, He and Sting come out to a huge ovation from the crowd. They get into the ring and began to talk through the cheers.

Hulk Hogan: Well let me tell you something brothers, The Hulkster is back in WCW for one reason and that’s to get that feeling back. The feeling of winning the Heavyweight Title brothers. I’ve been looking for that rush for months, and now that I’m back in World Championship Wrestling brother, I will regain that rush because the little Hulkster’s around the world are sick of seeing the belt on Ric Flair but last night I came back for more then one thing. More than for the belt, more than for the Hulkster’s. I came back for my friend Sting, tell em Stinger.

Sting grabs a microphone from the ring announcer.

Sting: That’s right Hulk, Last night at Souled Out. Luger and Flair had me out numbered two on one and then you came in and evened in up, and for that I say. Thank You.

-

Flair grabs a mic and walks into the ring followed by the other three Horsemen.

Ric Flair: Well, Brothers! You may have won the battle but we won the war, since Ric Flair and The Horsemen, are still in possession of this World Heavyweight Title

Flair shows off the title

Flair: And if you think you’ve got a rush, Hogan. You’ve never felt anything like the rush The Horsemen feel every night! WOOOOO!

Hogan interrupts Flair

Hogan: Flair, if you’re so confident about keeping that title. Put it on the line, me and you. One on One.

Flair: If you think you have a chance in hell, you’ve been taking to many “vitamins” Because tonight. Is the Horsemen’s night, and it will be. Until this Heavyweight title, is gone from around my waist and that’s not happening for a long, long time. WOOOOO!

Hogan tries to attack Flair but Sting holds him back

Flair: Lets go Hulkster! LETS GO!

Sting continues to hold Hogan back but Anderson, Benoit and Luger attack Sting from behind and then continue to Hogan.

The Horsemen go on a four on two attacks, Arn Anderson hits Sting with a big Spinebuster and then Luger racks him up with the Torture Rack while Flair and Benoit laid the boots to Hogan. Flair then locks in the Figure Four.

Sting and Hogan lay on the mat helpless and Flair and Luger release their submissions and The Four Horsemen taunt the crowd as well as Hogan and Sting and then walk to the back

Overall Rating: 95%

-

We see someone we haven’t seen in a while standing in the middle of the ring with a microphone. The man is…World Championship Wrestling President Eric Bischoff!

Eric Bischoff: Ladies and Gentleman! Welcome To WCW Monday Nitro!

The crowd pops

Bischoff: And tonight, E-Z-E returns. You see, I’ve been away from World Championship Wrestling for a while, but my reasons for absence are good ones. As I was fulfilling the duties of a President and I’m sure you fans will be as happy as I am about what I’ve done. You see, I spent my time away from WCW in getting a new superstar. One that will leave a huge mark in WCW, forever.

The crowd cheers from the prospect of a new star.

Bischoff: But, that’s still awhile away.

Crowd boo’s a bit

Bischoff: But, I’m not going to leave you un-satisfied because during my time away. The inmates were running the asylum, and tonight. I, Eric Bischoff, World Championship Wrestling President have taken back control and that control will be shown tonight as, we have some things to change and that first change tonight comes, with a new World Championship Wrestling logo.

A new logo appears on the screen

user posted image
Edited by Cole37

Guest Prototype

Decent show, and I kind aliked the simpler format. Sucks that Macho is still stuck in a feud with DoD. I dont think Bischoff would be an on screen character or call himself EZE at this time, or he could have been debuted in this role a better way. I like the diary, though.