Selling Out

fineintent

Rock stars can get away with anything.

Exactly. Being signed to a major label != becoming a pussy and putting out radio friendly bullshit.

People don't change their musical style because the label says "we want you to do this". They weigh their options and decide what they think is best. Some people call it selling out, some call it diversifying... personally, I don't give a shit if someone experiments with a new style. It bothers me when bands put out subpar or watered down albums, but sometimes it's just a lull for the creativity. A lot of times, a band puts out a subpar record and all of a sudden they've sold out, they suck, they're the bane of the industry... and then they return a tour de force, and the only thing sucking is the fanbois.

Selling out doesn't really exist.

I'll never get why major labels give unproven bands like Nine Inch Nails complete and total freedom of their music.

I love NIN, obviously. But when Trent signed with Interscope, he had a clause that he wanted that stated he got complete control over his music and production of it. Why did Interscope agree to it? "Pretty Hate Machine" wasn't that big of a success to warrant something like that.

I guess they had a lot of confidence in Trent and his abilities, but whatever. I'll never understand it.

EDIT: Not the right thread, but PRP brought up record labels, damnit.

Edited by Tristof

Next thing you know, Tristy will be blaming the holocaust on me.

All I am saying is, usually when someone "sells out" it involves a major record label. I disagree, you can sign to a major record label gracefully, and someone on a "indie record label" can sell out.

I'd say selling out is compromising your beliefs for success. Just because you are rebels doesn't mean you can't be playing in the big leagues. Just means you want to spread the word.

Guest acacia

I've thought hard on selling out because I am in a band and I love the underground metal scene, so the term "sell out" comes up a lot. To me "selling out" is determined by the situation.

A heavy band just wanting money and fame go to emo and that's selling out.

An emo band wanting more money and fame become pop is selling out.

As far as merchindise and DVD releases go, I'm not so sure if that's selling out. Not in my eyes anyway.

Surely selling out is about the group going against their own beliefs with reagards to their music in order to make more money.

Who are we, the fans, to tell the artists what their beliefs are?

We like to think we know everything about our favourite groups but it truth we only know what they want us to know. In reality, we know nothing.

Like someone else said, if they weigh everything up and decide on a balanced argument that they will change something then that's up to them.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster