The Season of Sin

*RDB*

Before the little questionare just want to add my thoughts. I've constantly skimmed over this diary/story since it first started but today I forced myself to just sit down and read it through and I really like what you have so far. I love your diaries and the backyard diary was one of my favorites of all time so this should be good. And you've got a good start. I'll be reading.

----------

1. Does the fact that this is a story based "first", wrestling second diary turn you off as a reader?

Not at all. The format threw me off a little at first, but now I'm hooked.

2. When the WWF (current day) is finally brought to the forefront of this diary, and the story is second, would there be any intrest or is it ok the way it is. (Story first/wrestling 2nd)

I trust that whatever you decide to do will be best, but I like the way it is now just fine.

3. If there was one thing you'd like to see changed about this diary what would it be.

Don't mean to cop out on the question but there really isn't anything I can think of. I guess all I can say is that I don't care for the scenes in the present too much. Kinda vague, I know.

4. There are 8 workers in the WWWF, and all will have their time in the spotlight. Some are already branching off into main characters in this story (Joe Jack, Little Walter) . So out of the 8 original Workers, is there one that you would like to read about that's currently not being used properly in your point of view?

I'd like to see more about Napoleon Hoover. He is apparently a talented wrestler but that's all we know about him at this point.

From the Author:

Thank you for your feedback, and actually one of those guys were in consideration to be making a bigger name for themselves in this diary. I'll keep your suggestions in mind when working on the arch of this story.

July 14th, 1926

Time: 11:21 pm

Place: Smokey Mo's BBQ & Blues Bar

Thinking back now, although I didn't realize it at first, a lot of people did in fact dislike Little Walter making a sudden "exit" away from the WWWF. Jesse L. McMahon went as far as issuing a warrant for his arrest, and giving a 160,000 reward for his return back to New York.

Of course I didn't really give a damn what people like Jesse McMahon thought about the way I do my job, but it really tore the trust that I had quickly made between some of the wrestlers. Joe Jack and I still worked together on this enigma of a case, but outside of that, we were not on speaking terms, and if a conversation came up, it was all awkward.

I figured the best I could do was try to sit him down and explain my view on things. Apologize? Possibly.. but I'd figure that out at the bar.

So we get to the bar around 11ish, the setting is pretty dark, it's hard to see exactly what's in front of you, as everything is tinted purple or black due to the lighting. It's a pretty full crowd and the smooth and melodic riffs coming from the band gives a casual feeling. I look for a few moments and see Joe Jack sitting at a corner booth with his hands on his head. So I went over towards him and relaxed.

Owen Joe Jack! Just the man I was looking for.. How ya doing ol' sport?

Joe: Hmph.. ok I guess. I'm a little sleepy I suppose.

Owen: Ah, come on... Joe, it's not even (checks watch) .. midnight yet, and you're already tired eh? I'll get some drinks coming, and you'll be good as new..

Joe: Owen, no disrespect, but I'm not in the mood. I'm still very angry over what you have chosen to do. But.. I have forced myself, to put my "grief" and anger aside and listen to what made you do such a silly thing. I trusted you this far, so I'm not going to be to hasty.

Owen: .. (sigh) ah yes, I figured it'd come down to this.

..So I told him everything, how the boy was scared to death, how it was impossible to even think that'd he could have realistically done anything to a grown man, let alone Hobo Williams. Joe Jack nodded and asked me:

Joe: So.. who do we have next on the list?

Owen: Ah...

Joe Jack, what I'm showing you is between you and me, as you know there's a lot of guys in the WWWF right now who would love to know where Little Walter is. The Greed associated with $160,000 changes people. So I need your confidentiality on this one..

Joe: I swear on my grave Sir..

Owen: Here... (hands letter) Little Walter sent this a few weeks back, giving me a lead on this case. His job has been basically exiling himself away from the WWWF, but I still wanted him to be able to help so he has sent me lots of vast information on all the workers here, and I believe that at the next show I'm confronting him.

Joe: I see..

One guy I think you can not without any doubt not question first is G.W..  The guy, Mr. Mavillion is totally a bad soul.  For as long as I have known him and have been wrestling in the WWWF, he has on numerous times whispered to me within the ring that he wanted to injure me infront of the 40 or so people at attendence, but he knew because of his past that he would not risk it.

His past is dirty Mr. Mavillion, in Rural Georgia, he and his brother Manton were heh.. crooks.  Plain and simple. Manton wasn't as bad as G.W., but I'm sure that G.W.'s influence on Manton has turned him the way he is now.  G.W. served time in 1918 for robbing a bank before being released on bail by Mr. Jesse McMahon because McMahon.. ironically heard his brother Manton was the best wrestler in the South and he wouldn't sign unless G.W. was coming with him.

- Lil' Walter

So that was how it was going down, the WWWF had a card in July as always each month, in fact they were doing a promotional tour where rather than having show after show infront of the New York faithful at the Pavillion. They were heading out on the East Coast. First stop, Cape Cod, MA.

A bit of sweat dripped down my arm at the thought, G.W. wasn't exactly the friendliest worker in the WWWF, and outside of Little Walter, I guess he could be a prime candidate. But Damn.. Cape Cod didn't look to be an inviting situation. I could feel a lot of drama building up with the encounter between me and G.W.

EAST COAST TOUR 26'

July 27th, 1926 - Cape Cod, MA

Jesse L. McMahon productions would like to announce for an unprecedented 3rd time in World Wide Wrestling Federation history, the company is preparing for a Road Tour.  Open runs like the ones usually held at the N.Y. Pavillion are now open to the public in the North East.  Price for admission in the open run is a steep $1.

There will be a guaranteed contract on the line throughout these open runs during the East Coast tour.  As shocking as it is to announce, with the current absence of so many workers, there is always a chance that you be what we're looking for in this company.

Only strong, dedicated, hard at heart.. and willing men should apply.

Yes, Cape Cod locals, your own homegrown area boy, Cyd The Italian Butcher has come back home after 8 months of hard work in New York in the WWWF.  Come out and wish him support or jeer him as he is given a chance to fight in front of family and friends in a singles match vs. Napoleon Hoover.

WWWF would like to humbly announce that 2 workers will not be present at the first show, Henry Williams and Lil' Walter.  We apologize for the inconvience this may have brought to you and your families.

Main Event

Joe Jack's 5 Dollar Open Run

Joe Jack after sucessfully defending the World Title vs. a worth adversary G.W. last month, has agreed to continue WWWF title defenses.  This time not only vs. WWWF opponents, but even you the fan.  Only the best should try out as Joe Jack won't go easy on you eh?

Joe Jack is an incredible 22-0 and is willing to take all comers.

Other Matches Featured Tonight

G.W. and Manton Tracy vs. Open Run Tag Match

Napoleon Hoover vs Cyd the Italian Butcher.

Edited by *RDB*

1. Does the fact that this is a story based "first", wrestling second diary turn you off as a reader?

No, I prefer my diaries that way.

2. When the WWF (current day) is finally brought to the forefront of this diary, and the story is second, would there be any intrest or is it ok the way it is. (Story first/wrestling 2nd)

I like it the way it is, but I think that you will be able to balance it just fine.

3. If there was one thing you'd like to see changed about this diary what would it be.

Maybe a little more as far as tie ins to the present.

4. There are 8 workers in the WWWF, and all will have their time in the spotlight. Some are already branching off into main characters in this story (Joe Jack, Little Walter) . So out of the 8 original Workers, is there one that you would like to read about that's currently not being used properly in your point of view?

I think that they'll all be given their time fairly as you progress so I have nothing here.

July 27, 1926

EAST COAST TOUR 26'

Broadcast: KABC Radio Productions

------------------------------------

45 loud and anxious fans filled the Cape Cod community Pavillion in July in anticipation for the return of a home grown boy.  Cyd "The Italian" Butcher who grew up a few minutes down the road in famous Boston would be in action tonight vs. Napoleon Hoover.  What we found out though, was that on the sport Jesse L. wanted the match to have an even greater incentive.  The winner would get a World Title Shot next month.

But first up we had open run action.. the World champion himself, Joe Jack came out to a moderate applause.

Still standing in the ring, Jesse L. pointed Joe Jack to his corner and started speaking on the mic:

McMahon: Well.. Welcome Cape Cod to the first tour the WWWF has done in 3 years.  And what a way to kick it off.. one lucky fellow in the audience will win a chance to step in the ring vs. the World Champion Joe Jack.  Haha.. you can go home tomorrow after a few hours in the hospital telling all of your friends you sparred with the "Great One".

So, getting on with it..  will.. "Harry,... Harry Nixon" come to the ring?  Harry Nixon?  Are you ready to spar?

The crowd looks back in anticipation, as a white spotlight roams the crowd looking for movement.  In the upper balcony we finally see a young man pushed into the aisle, but he fights pretty roughly trying to get back in his seat.  The crowd becomes white hot, and boos as chants of "Chicken" bounce off the walls.

McMahon: Harry Nixon.. sit down.. let' em down..

Harry, you mean to tell me you don't want to step in the ring with the Brown Bomber?  Not even for a few moments to be famous?

The man shakes his head

McMahon: Is there anyone else?  That'd jump on this opportunity?

The crowd suddenly stops yelling, almost as if someone sucked the life out of them.  Everyone sits still, avoiding to be noticed.

McMahon: Well.. ain't that a load of pomp.  No one?  Not even for 3 minutes?  2 minutes?  He wouldn't hurt you that bad? 

C'mon people yall are ruining my open run..

Suddenly a man interupts McMahon from the west side of the room. 

*I'll do it..*

The man makes his way into the ring, walking down the aisle.. in the ring Joe Jack turns a pale shade and twitches a moment.  Joe Jack exhales and grabs his hand.

The stranger finally gets inside the ring, and shakes Jesse L. hand.  He waves at the crowd before throwing a "shadow" punch and winking at Joe Jack.

Man: We meet again Joe Jack?

Jack just stands there gritting his teeth

Man: Oh you're not happy to see me again after all of these years Joe?  You'd think the way you left the ring that night, you'd never forget my face.  You'd never ever have a chance not to thank me.

Oh ho ho.. I've waited 3 years for this opportunity Joe Jack, and finally, I have you once again in the ring, nothing to stand in our way, except the fact that the highest belt in this federation is not on the line it seems?

McMahon: You two know each other?

Man: Know each other?  Hell.. I practically made Joe Jack.

Mr. McMahon, with all due respect, the man standing before you, fought me 3 years ago..  3 years ago I was at the top of my game, I was making a name for myself preparing to come to this very federation.  It was a one match.. one winner, no loser brawl.  Whoever won would get to represent the entire training club in the WWWF.  I had never lost a fight, that is until Joe Jack, and I faced off.

He beat me that night, and 32 wins later, I have finally gotten my chance to fight him again.  In this open run. 

McMahon: Well.. great, we got some heat behind this one.  May I ask your name?

Man: Malachai

McMahon: Malachai, welcome to the WWWF, here is your shot.. if you win tonight, who knows what lies in the future.

Open Run: Joe Jack vs. Malachai

Joe Jack and Malahcai start off the match throwing punches back and forth.. it was more of a slugfest than a match to be honest.. but it wasn't doing much damage at all.  Joe Jack seizes a chance at the offense and throws a lunging elbow at Malachai...Malachai, being a little bit faster dodges out of the way.

The match continues on as the two grapple in the center of the ring.  No one is getting a clear advantage, as they struggle back and forth pushing the other into the corner.  Finally Malachai wins and releases the hold before delivering a hard shot to the chest.  A few more minutes of corner action from Malachai puts Joe Jack in a bad way.

Joe Jack gets to one knee as Malachai picks him up by the head and whips him into the turnbuckle with high velocity.  He goes to the corner and whips him into the opposite one.  Joe Jack lands hard in the corner and reaches for his back, and Malachai not even giving Jack a chance to breathe smothers him with a hard clothesline.  The crowd anticipates a pin count, but Malachai picks him back up.

Malachai goes to kick Joe Jack in the midsection, but it is blocked.  Joe throws a desperate punch and connects.  Malachai throws one back, but it blocked.  Joe starts a barrage of lefts and rights as he starts to back Malachai into the ring corner.  Joe Jack then picks Malahcai up and front suplexes him into the center of the ring.  He goes for the cover..  ONE...TWO...NO!

Joe Jack stands up slowly and irish whips Malachai into the ropes, as he comes back, Joe ducks on the ground, and Malachai runs over him.. Joe Jack awaits for him again, but this time Malachai reverses with a jumping heel kick, knocking Joe Jack down.  Malachai lays on the ground for some time before rolling over on Joe..  , ONE...TWO...

TWWOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  The streak almost ended there.

Joe Jack stands up very slowly at this point, as Malachai throws a hard uppercut to joe Jack knocking him back down.  Malachai toys with Joe kicking him a few times in the head.  Malachai sensing Joe fatigued picked him up off the ground by the head and put him into a powerbom formation.  Malachai raises his hands up high..  then lifts Joe Jack.... spins him around and slams him hard in the center of the ring.  Joe Jack is knocked the fuck out..!

Malachai goes for the pin, but then gets up.. he laughs at Joe Jack.. spits on him, and rolls out of the ring.  The ref stands in the ring counting Malachai out, as he goes back to his seat.

1..........2...........3...........4...........5............6............7..............8.............9............10!!!!

The ref sounds the bell, Joe Jack wins by count out, but it was obvious to everyone in attendance that Joe Jack had lost that fight.

Winner by Count Out: Joe Jack

* Station Identification Break *

Tag Match: Manton Tracy & G.W. vs.  Big Smitty Roy Coroski

Due to the less than anxious crowd to jump in the open runs.. Big Smitty came out from the back to help in a tag match vs. the Tracy Brothers.  The match went on quite well, as the Tracy's obviously the superior tag team worked well keeping Big Smitty from making a tag. 

The crowd went crazy around the 5:26 mark when G.W. clothesline Coroski for no reason off the apron.

The match ended though with the Tracy's having a little misunderstanding and Manton accidentially hitting his brother with an errant fist allowing Big Smitty to get enough time to land a huge chokeslam.  A good 8:14 bout.  As the crowd celebrates and laughs at the Tracy's misfortune.. and Manton stands in the ring looking like he just shot Abe Lincoln!

Winners: Big Smitty & Roy Coroski

* Ding - Ding - Ding *

Jesse McMahon: The following contest and our featured bout for the evening, present two of the younger but talented wrestlers in this federation.  Tonight 2 men  enter the squared circle, and only one will walk out with the chance of a life time.. a shot at the prestigious WWWF World Championship.

Entering first, the .. wearing white trunks with red trim..weighing in at 125 pounds, known as a strategist in the ring, the Doctor of Wrestling, And also now the One and only high flyer left... Napoleon...... HOOOOOOOVER!

* The crowd becomes very animated as Napoleon Hoover makes his way down to the ring... A Hoover ya' Loser chant breaks out! *

... And in the other corner, wearing blue.. with a chef's hat.  From BOSTON, MASSACUSSETTS!!!!  YOUR home grown, local butcher.... weighing in at 270 some odd pounds, he could be the next WWWF Champion, CYD... the ITALIAN...... BUTCHER!!!!!

*Cyd isn't the nicest of people, we already know that.. but in Cape Cod, he is from local Boston, and yeah he's going to get the pops.  The crowd actually gives him a nice reaction, although Cyd continues to wlak down the ring not wishing to shake anyone's hand.  He takes his big white Chef's hat off, and places it beside the ring girl.*

Singles Match: Napoleon Hoover vs. Cyd The Italian Butcher. - WWWF World Title #1 Contendership Match

Another big match with a decent review..

The match starts off oddly enough with a headbutt although Cyd doesn't land almost any velocity on the blow and it ends up being a weak one even for Napoleon's standards.  Anyway the match continues on as Cyd with adrenaline on his side clubs the back of Napoleon Hoover.  He sets him up for a pile driver, but Napoleon Hoover reverses it into a half ass version of the hurricarana 1926 style!

So the fight continues on a bit more, the two slug back and forth, but Napoleon is quite a bit faster than Cyd and just dodges the attacks while high kicking Cyd into the corner..  Napoleon Hoover runs to the opposite end, does a train "motion" to the crowd and runs to the corner to splash Cyd.. but Cyd moves and Hoover hits the buckle hard.  Cyd turns him around and kicks him in the midsection.. kicks him hard in the chest.. stops stomps the ground one good time and kicks him in the fact to some serious heat.

A little later in the match, about 3 mintues later.. Napoleon Hoover has seized the offensive, and has led Cyd into a corner.  He grabs around his head, wrenching into a choke hole, and the ref calls for a break.  Hoover ignores and keeps applying pressure as the crowd boos.  Finally Cyd gets some energy and back body drops Hoover out of the ring.

Later.. Cyd gets the hometown salute as he wails away at Napoleon with a left punch.. a right punch.. both men are staggering at this point.. Cyd throws one more punch but Napoleon dodges and uses his ring swavy to apply a crossface submission.  Cyd holds on for as long as he can.. but he reaches a rope breaking the hold.. the damage has been done though.

4 mintues of wrestling pass, Napoleon has done a great job working on Cyd's arm.. it looks very limp at this point, but he continues fighting knowing what's at stake.  Napoloen catches Cyd with a great drop kick.  Then yells at the crowd before lunging off the ropes but running right into a powerslam that shook the ring.  Both men lay sprawled in the center of the ring as the ref counts to 10.

Some movement down below, as Cyd crawls slowly towards a corner, trying to catch his breath.  Napoleon is still looking bad in the ring as he rolls around in agony.  Cyd slowly uses his good arm and pulls himself up. Dusts himself off, and reaches for Napoleon grabbing the "sleepy headed" wrestler up by the hair.  Cyd goes for a suplex but his arm gives way and both men hit the canvas again. Cyd goes on and hooks the leg for a two count.

Later in the match, blood struck as Napoleon Hoover got off of his knees and landed a vertical sidekick directly in Cyd's face.  Cyd hits the mat hard grabbing his face in pain.  As Napoleon with a black eye smiles slowly.. and sits down on the mat.  After a brief break Napoleon grabs Cyd by his bad arm, and pulls him up.. and positions him into a Shoulder Drop.. landing it, and adding more insult to injury.  Napoleon Hooks the leg! ONE...TWO...NO!

Napoleon bangs the canvas with his fist in anger, as Cyd keeps showing resiliency.  The match continues for 3 more minutes as Cyd is fighting on steam now.. he goes for a punch with his good arm but they just aren't phasing Napoleon anymore.  Napoleon takes a punch to the chin.., points at his chin for Cyd to do it again, and when Cyd does.. he dodges it and applies the Crossface again.  This time almost instantly Cyd taps.. but Napoleon once again does not release the hold. 

Security has to break the two men up as Napoleon held on to Cyd's arm for so long that he fractured it!  Cyd is in a bad way, as Napoleon ends up winning the match, getting a shot at the WWWF title, and humuliating Cyd by putting him out of work for who knows how long in his own home town.

Aftermath

Napoleon raises his hand in triumph over his victory. He motions around his waist and slowly leaves the ring, as EMT's and a fire engine race over to the back entrance of the Cape Cod Pavillion. Only Big Smitty comes down to the ring to assist Cyd, as everyone else is incompacitated or is a rival.

WWWF Card Rating : 37%

Joe Jack d. Malachai by countout

Roy Coroski & Big Smitty d. G.W. & Manton Tracy

Napoleon Hoover d. Cyd "The Italian" Butcher

- Cyd is out for 7 months with an arm injury (that sucks)

- Napoleon Hoover faces off vs. Joe Jack in August for the WWWF World Title.

I really like this diary. I never got the chance to read the first time around, since it was too big to read when i saw it. I like Joe Jack, and Cyd, and it sucks that hes hurt.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...