Civilization III

Benji

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Civ II and have never touched it, not knowing even the concept of the game, which is odd, because from the sound of things I would really like it.  Explain the game a bit.

I will do my best to sum it up in a short paragraph.

You start off in the year 4000 BC with nothing. From there, you build cities to expand your nation, advance techinologically, create war units, look after the people's needs, sort out tax's etc. Along the way, you explore the world, find and create relationships with other nations that change with time. There are two ways to outright win the game. Either be the first to launch a ship to the nearest star system to terraform a planet there, or win by using the sword, wipe out every other nation and you are the winner.

It's a bit more deeper than that, but it gives you the idea. :)

Actually, there is one more way to win the game. A civ has to build the UN wonder, and if the other nations vote yours to be the Secretary-General, then you have a diplomatic victory.

I was talking about Civ 2, but yeah you are right.

The first thing I do is I plop down my Settler wherever he starts. It takes too long to find a decent spot in the early going. If you have a scout, just automate him. He'll wander about on his own. Once your town is built, I first have them build a Worker, and then a Settler. The second worker explores a bit to pick a site for the second city, and then builds a road to it.

Once you have the settler built in the capital, have him go to the scouted location, and repeat the process.

So, to recap:

1) Start your first city wherever the Settler starts out.

2) If you have a Scout, automate him.

3) Have your first Worker surround your town with roads.

The build schedule:

1) Worker (to help connect the towns with roads)

2) Settler (another city)

3) Best defender available (Spearmen at first)

To research, I like to work my way to Iron Works first, so I can see where the deposits are and try to get to them. Secondly I research Horseback riding. NEVER leave a resource undefended, even within your city limits. I always have somebody standing Fortify on it, so that in the event of war, nobody can come in and destroy the road, cutting off your Iron/Saltpeter supply and crippling your army-producing capabilities.

In the later game, this becomes pointless, as ICBMs become available.

Nuke things. I never had a public relations problem with just dropping ICBMs on everything and anything. I was firing them into the ocean to scout for islands, even.

There's a mod available that changes the Att/Def stats of all characters, so that the new evolution is much better than their previous incarnations. I like it better because it's annoying to fight for your iron and saltpeter deposits only to have a fortified spearman defeat your musketeer.

I made a mod of that one, that allows Bombers to defeat ground units, as well as significantly powering up the tank units. It just pissed me off when my expensive tanks got lit up by a guy holding a gun.

Chaotic Rambling...

My main strategy is Expansion Above All Else. I used to be the kind who'd sit there with maybe 10 cities and happily research to myself into the modern era...before finding myself faced with monsterous rival nations.

Nowadays I simply churn out Settlers, Spearmen (to accompany said settlers, thus relieving the new cities of the need to build them), and Workers. Always build a Settler as soon as a city is large enough (Pop: 3) to allow it. If I get the chance I will situate a city on some Flood Plains, irrigate the whole damn area and (after appropriate building of Temples, Cathedrals etc to prevent revolt), make it a Population Factory. Useful for Settlers and Workers - either in their traditional tasks or to add to the population of new cities, speeding up their efficiency.

One city with a very high production level is designated the 'Science City' (maybe the capital) which builds all the science wonders (to make greatest use of the '+50% research' bonuses they provide). This continues until there's simply no reasonable scope for further expansion, in which case the cities instead focus on Scientific/Economic buildings, and then military...for non-peaceful expansion.

There are certain Technologies and Wonders that are absolutely essential to aim for as quickly as you can. Financial technologies such as Currency, Banking, etc otherwise you'll quickly find yourself unable to sustain your growth. Similar the Adam Smith wonder is absolutely crucial, as are as many of the Reseach wonders as you can get (Great Library, Observatory, Newton's University etc). Otherwise priotrise simply in terms of which ones you'd least like an enemy to get their hands on...so the Great Wall will be higher priority than the Colossus, for instance.

The most important military techs are those that upgrade your primary defensive unit - Gunpowder, Nationalism etc. With 2 or 3 or them in each of your cities you should be able to withstand any unexpected attacks if nothing else. You don't really need any other military units unless you're planning an offensive yourself, or are reacting to an aforementioned attack.

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE USEFULNESS OF 'REPLACEABLE PARTS'. Often missed or forgotten, it doubles the efficiency of your workers. Worth it's weight in gold...especially with all those railways you'll be wanting to put all over the place.

I usually switch to Republic relatively quickly. This allows me to have whatever limited wars I may want in the early stages, but is mainly to supplement the huge technology/economic growth in the mid-game phase. I don't usually bother with Democracy, unless I really want it's Worker Efficiency bonus. It's War Weariness is just atrocious... Anyway, then when you feel like going for your world domination run, switch to Fascism (which might only be available on the Conquests add-on I think?) and Unleash Hell.

Yeah, random blabbering indeed.

There are many ways to play this game, but my preferred strategy is WAR.

During the first few turns, make 3 cities asap, and have one city churn out settlers, one churn out spearmen/warrior and one make workers. Then grab as much land as you can by making cities. And fortify at least 2 spearmen in each city.

When you have run out of space to expand, it's time for WAR! But first, assembly a decent sized army (you don't need a big army in the early ages), and then declare war on a civ near you. Then overrun the civ with your army and take their cities. If you need reinforcements anytime during the war, try to negoiate peace. If you have the upper hand, sometimes you can even get a city from them during the negoiations.

Then rinse and repeat until you're the sole dominant force in the game. Then you can decide what kind of victory you want.

That's why I usually play as Romans. They are the perfect civ for warring.

Is there a way to put two warriors, or some such attacking force together, so that they move as one, and attack as one?

I'm assuming there is, but even my fundamental knowledge of this game sucks.

Thanks for all the advice so far though, people!

damn you guys , makign me dig out my civ 3 cd , haven't played the game in ages but when I started I sucked hard so I'll have to learn it again lol

damn you guys  , makign me  dig out my civ 3 cd , haven't played the game in ages but when I started  I sucked hard so I'll have to learn it again lol

Yeah, it is so addictive...I've got so many work deadlines coming up, but I need to play it!!

Is there a way to put two warriors, or some such attacking force together, so that they move as one, and attack as one?

Yeah, but it requires a leader to create an army. You get a leader from an elite unit winning in battle, altho it is only a chance to get a leader. Then you can load up to three units into the army and they move as one.

Yeah, but it requires a leader to create an army. You get a leader from an elite unit winning in battle, altho it is only a chance to get a leader. Then you can load up to three units into the army and they move as one.

So if someone becomes "elite", how do you know if they become a leader?

It will tell you and a leader will appear where the battle took place, I think. Then you march him back to a city and it will give you the option of turning him into an army, If I remember properly.

It will tell you and a leader will appear where the battle took place, I think. Then you march him back to a city and it will give you the option of turning him into an army, If I remember properly.

Hmmm...I get blokes turning into Elites...but never had that happen.

I cant remember proplely, someone else might be able to help you out more. If you are a militaristic race you have more of a chance of getting leaders from battles, I do remember that. Bah, I need to start playing this more.

man I hate all of you. I'm now addicted to this game once again , I spent a few hours playing as the americans. Got about 5-6 states founded sided with the indians and we started battling the babaloynias (Spelling) . my musket men put up an ok fight but their knights and archers began tearing through them , I took over several of their cities and the same for them Luckily I was able to regain Seattle , and atlanta . Each stated started riotin because of the war so we agreed to a peace treaty , now I'm rebuilding and watching on as the indians rip the Bab's a new one.

I've got the save game available if anyone wants it I'm playing Civ 3 with the patch update. I was going to post a screenshot but can't seem to take one in the game

Everythign you ever wanted to know about Leaders

Edited by Dochappy

Also, if you have loads of troops on the same square and you don't want to move them all to the same place individually you can press some button or other (maybe 'x'?) and they will all move in one go. You can do this for All Units in that square, or just All Units of the Same Type.