Best musical era?

Liam

I'll discuss each time period, and then give my verdict.

If you're talking about the most important time for music, I'd have to say the mid-to-late 60s, just for sheer influence. Even if you just take the Beatles and the Beach Boys (the two most influential groups of the 60s, and arguably of all time), it would have to rank tops. Then you'd have to include Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, The Yardbirds(who may have had a shit singer, but were important to the development of what would become heavy metal), the Stones (a *real* rock band), ect.

The 70s...probably tops when it comes to diversity. You had your metal, you had your disco, but if you think that's all the 70s produced, then you're wrong. The Eagles were huge during the 70s, and rightfully so. Hell, Rod Stewart was actually good in the 70s before he descended into adult contemporary. Late 70s too was great, with punk and the beginnings of new wave.

The 80s happen to be my favorite, for what mudda and Johnny said. Plus the fact that I grew up in the 80s, so I may be kind of biased.

The 90s were good until the latter part of the decade. What a lot of people seem to forget was that during the mid 90s, there was a bit of a retro-trend, esp. towards the 70s,between the grunge era and the start of rap-rock hell (which was GREAT in theory, but it meant we got stuck with poseurs like Fred Durst).

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like most genres of music, in all honesty, there's something good in every genre. I just don't like grunge, or rap-rock, or a lot of more recent stuff to come out of the US. I find it stale and very lacking.

I agree with muddatrucker that a lot of the great guitarists have no depth, and it's all just an exercise in "my guitar playing is better than yours, and by extension so is my phallus" stuff. I love a lot of 'simpler' music, I'm supremely willing to give any band a listen before I judge.

I've listened to quite a lot of grunge, and all of that, and I don't like it. I find that it rapes the guitar, makes it sound terrible, and clearly shows no talent. There's a difference between requesting everybody be able to play at breakneck speed without missing a transition and requesting that bands know that thrashing your guitar will KILL it.

That I don't like.

RK!

To be frank, even though I listen to a lot of alternative stuff, how the guitar sounds, or what chords are played or whatever, means nothing to me.

I usually listen for vocals and lyrics. The only band I listen to because I love the sound of the guitar and riffs is probably In Flames, but other then that, that is about it.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Are you fucking joking? I'm sure these people can afford some new strings or a completely new guitar if they want, how pathetic.

I just have respect for my guitar, I've had the same one for about 5 years now and that's mostly through style and generally being kind to it. My playing isn't 'intense guitar wankery' or whatnot, it's fairly raw and visceral at times but not silly Steve Vai-style stuff, 5 notes in a second or whatever.

Yes, they can afford new strings and new guitars, I know that. I just don't like that style, it's a personal gripe.

RK!

Guest George

Jerry Cantrell is an amazing guitarist. He doesn't just play on Alice In Chains, go listen to their unplugged. Go listen to Nirvana unplugged. They aren't raping their guitars there.

Pearl Jam's guitarists combines jazz guitar with rock guitar.

One thing is to dislike something, another thing is to say they are untalented.

For example, I don't like Jimi Hendrix, and I once even bought an album to see if I could dig him. He's the most influential guitarist of all times, he isn't untalented, do I like him? No. But I can't say "This guy is quite sloppy, damn him, he's an overrated piece of shit" because he is quite talented on the guitar.

Guest George

It's style preferrence, I know that.

But they aren't untalented.

Some dumbasses call Primus that they are one of the worst groups ever and blah blah blah.

I actually show them a video.

Enough for them to realize that they may not be their style, but clearly aren't bad.

As I said, you can't like everybody. I don't like Jimi Hendrix, nor A perfect Circle, Phish, but they are skilled, and to say that it doesn't require any talent at all makes you look like the average music listener.

Might just be me, but the only thing talented in A Perfect Circle is only Maynard & Freese. The rest can fuck off.

Even then though, Maynard isn't at his best. The lyrics are just a little to...bland I guess. The singing is top-notch, though.

Might just be me, but the only thing talented in A Perfect Circle is only Maynard & Freese. The rest can fuck off.

Even then though, Maynard isn't at his best. The lyrics are just a little to...bland I guess. The singing is top-notch, though.

Howerdel writes a lot of the stuff, so thats maybe why you might think it is bland. But then again, I think that makes him pretty important to the group.

Also James Iha is pretty talented IMO.

Morrissey fucking sucks. I don't understand how anyone, beside pretentious fucks, could like him.

Well, to be honest, all Morrissey fans I've met have been pretentious fucks, so I guess that solves that.

I like Morrissey...as does Ringmaster...:crying:

Guest George

Have to agree with syco here. Morrisey is NOTHING special, at all. His lyrics are nothing special, his voice doesn't stand out from others I have heard, the instruments are... bleh, 100% background...

Every morrisey fan I have met is ... indeed a pretentious fuck...