Music Stars

Guest Wrestling_Man

Freddie Mercury

Jimi Hendrix

Bob Marley

Keith Moon.

John Lennon

They all changed the music worldin their own way (Moon as a part of the Who).

Edited by The_Monkey_Molester

Sony saw him as the next "heritage artist" like Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen.

I dunno if Jeff Buckley could've fitted into that mould, Springsteen and Dylan have just got something that Buckley didn't really have. I can't say what it is but I think Jeff Buckley was just destined to be another son of a folk singer like Rufus Wainwright is.

I dunno if Jeff Buckley could've fitted into that mould, Springsteen and Dylan have just got something that Buckley didn't really have. I can't say what it is but I think Jeff Buckley was just destined to be another son of a folk singer like Rufus Wainwright is.

I think Buckley could easily have been as big as Springsteen or Dylan in time, his voice was one of the best I've ever heard, he was a fantastic looking guy, incredibly charismatic and his song-writing may not have been the best, but was more than adequate and would have definitely improved in time.

And although Tim Buckley has a bigger following now than Loudon Wainwright III, as far as I'm aware, I think Jeff could have easily risen out of his father's shadow moreso than Rufus Wainwright, as Jeff's style was further removed from Tim's than Rufus' is to Loudon's, and he looked more likely to expand in different musical directions.

I can't really see the comaparison. Buckley was much too arty to be linked to Dylan and Springsteen. I'd compare him more to Nick Cave. But I prefer Cave by shitloads to Buckley, I find Buckley extremely grating.

I'll agree that Buckley was incredibly arty, and therefore not as potentially arty as the likes of Dylan and Springsteen, but then Springsteen himself has always been, in my eyes, a frustrated folk artist at heart and the likes of "Born In The USA" really hurt his career, artistically, if doing the exact opposite financially. As for Dylan, he's beyond comparison, really.

But the comparison I'm drawing isn't one based on musical similarities, it's purely contractual. Sony signs "heritage artists" based on their potential to do big business in the long-term, and Dylan and Springsteen were two such artists, and when they signed him, Buckley was supposed to be the same, hence the artistic freedom he was given over Grace and over the production of My Sweetheart The Drunk.

Say what you will about the musical ability of John Simon Ritchie, he was certainly one who died well before his time. He was only a 21 year old kid, and in true rock and roll fashion he overdosed on heroin. It's unfortunate that his relationship with Nancy Spungen turned his life into a downward spiral both professionally and personally. It seemed to destroy his freindship with John Lydon, and she was the catalyst of his Mr. Ritchie's junky lifestyle. Had our good friend John not met Nancy, he'd probably had remained relatively sober, focused more on his music with the Sex Pistols, and also would not have had to face murder charges. The story behind his killing of Nancy is still unclear, nobody really knows the full story of how she was killed. It's a secret both Sid and Nancy took to their graves.

Darby Crash is another old favorite of mine who died way too young. At the age of 22 Darby, like Sid Vicious, overdosed on heroin. Not many people are aware of how great the Germs could have really been. Darby was really an incredible writer, and perhaps one of the most intelligent people among the LA punk scene. There is no telling how good the Germs could have become had Darby lived a full life. The Germs can also be credited with kick starting Pat Smear's musical career. You may remember Pat Smear from his work with the Foo Fighters, Nirvana's unplugged, and other bands within the alternative rock scene.

I disagree. Sid didn't die soon enough. I know that's cold, but he offered NOTHING to the music scene, save the fact that he was a drug-addicted asshole that was branded a 'rebel'. His solo work sucked, and all he did was stand around on stage and do stupid shit. He's punk-rock's equivelant to the rap industry's 'hype man', except that he was usually too drugged up to hype anything.

As I mentioned in my post, most of his negative traits can be attributed to his relationship with Nancy Spungen. Sid was actually an easy going, polite kid before he met her. Add to the fact that it was her influence that turned him into a hopeless junky. You can also thank Malcolm Mclaren for creating much of the "punk rock rebel" hype surrounding Sid. Actually, you can thank Malcolm for turning the whole band into a spectacle. As I said in my initial post, had he not met Nancy he could have improved his bass work, and in turn helped to improve the Sex Pistols as a whole. Granted Sid wasn't the greatest musician, had he not died at 21, he still would have had many years ahead of him to become atleast a competent musician. To say he died soon enough definitely is cold, nobody deserves to lose their life at 21, junky or not.

I also have to disagree with you on his solo work, it wasn't bad at all. Maybe it's not your preferred style of music, but I enjoyed the gritty feeling his solo work brought to many rock and roll classics.

I think Buckley could easily have been as big as Springsteen or Dylan in time, his voice was one of the best I've ever heard, he was a fantastic looking guy, incredibly charismatic and his song-writing may not have been the best, but was more than adequate and would have definitely improved in time.

And although Tim Buckley has a bigger following now than Loudon Wainwright III, as far as I'm aware, I think Jeff could have easily risen out of his father's shadow moreso than Rufus Wainwright, as Jeff's style was further removed from Tim's than Rufus' is to Loudon's, and he looked more likely to expand in different musical directions.

Well, Lisa Lopes and Aaliyah are stars surely?

Lopes was in one of the biggest selling groups of all time.

Aaliyah was also one of the biggest selling female singers and was supposed to be in the Matrix movies wasn't she?

I would say they are stars surely.

Edited by Gooner4Life

Randy Rhoads. He was guitarist for one of the biggest metal artists in the world in Ozzy Osbourne and his Blizzard of Oz. Amazing guitarist that was brilliant and gone far too qucikly.

Edited by TheROC-Revolt

One person I can't believe that hasn't been metioned yet is Dimebag Darrell. One kick ass gituar player from one of the heaviest metal bands ever. Randy Rhoads and Cliff Burton should still be around as well.

pr4.jpg

Juliya...:wub:

And yeah, I'm surprised that no one mentioned Dimebag. He was only in his 30's (iirc) and now we'll never know if Damageplan would've gone on for another 20 years or if they would break up and Dimebag would form a new band or ...well, you get me.

Guest concretedog

I'll repeat some artists already said I guess.

Jimi Hendrix

Bob Marley

Dimebag Darrell

Randy Rhoads

Freddy Mercury

John Lennon

Not because of music though, but because of what he did for the World.

Guest Wrestling_Man

I just thought of somebody else can be on this list. Bon Scott, the lead singer of AC/DC. God what a voice he had, maybe his best performance ever is on the Highway to Hell album.

2Pac

Biggie

Big L

I think that Pac and Biggie could have been even bigger than they are and that Big L was gonna burst into the mainstream. He was only 22 or 23 when he was killed, if he was still around now I could see him being talked about with people like Pac, Biggie and Jay Z

Sid Vicious, only because he has been mentioned one time. Although the guy didn't "add" anything to the music of the Sex Pistols, he was still a huge part of the Sex Pistols. Had he not died, perhaps there would have been new Sex Pistols. Perhaps not. Who knows.