Sonic The Hedgehog

ROC

Am I wrong or this possibly the best 16-bit game series ever? This game has the best music, design, and gameplay, IMO, in the 16-bit era and is single handedly the reason why I play the Genesis (although, I did want to play College Football USA '96, but that's only because I'm too cheap to buy NCAA Football). Anyways, my favorite in the series is Sonic 2. It kinda holds symbolism for me as it is the first game I ever played and the first game I ever got cheats for (19 65 09 17, baby). Anyways, what are your thoughts on this franchise?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good, but not the best of all time. However, it's a testament to Sega's ingenuity. The Mario series was better, but rather than try and compete in the same field, Sega took a different road and offered a true alternative, utilizing gameplay so unique that nothing of it's kind had ever been seen before. My personal favorite is probably Sonic 3.

Sonic 2 > ALL

The Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles game (well, S&K was really S3 part II) is excellent, but Sonic 2 is just special to me. The fact it was the first computer game I *ever* owned would probably have something to do with it as well.

...As a certified Sonic fanboy, I'm not sure what else I can say without going off into a long and mildly embarrassing fanboy spiel. :unsure:

Guest TheMysteryMan

i never had a Sega Genesis growing up but i did have a Super Nintendo and i'm not sure if that is 16-bit or 32-bit but i always remember putting in that Super Mario Bros. 3 cartridge, Donkey Kong Country cartridge, and The Legend of Zelda cartridge and enjoying what i thought back then the greatest graphics ever and great gameplay.

Sonic. havent played that game in a long time. i remember that sonic 2 was the first game i ever played with my sega genesis. it was fun. but i could never get passed that one level in the game in the underground place.

i played sonic 3 and sonic and knuckles, but i didnt like them as much as sonic 2. the last time i played a sonic game was a couple years ago, before i put my genesis in a box in the garage somewhere.

I've been thinking about 16-bit games lately, and how much fun I had playing them as a kid. It's probably just the fact that I've grown up, but I can't have that same enthusiasm towards video games anymore really.

But yeah, back on topic... I found the Sonic games fun, but they weren't that life changing for me. I was always more of an rpg fan. Now Earthbound, Earthbound changed my life!

The Sonic franchise was great. I'd even play that Tetris thing they had for the Genesis. The crap Sonic games started with Sonic Blast and haven't been the same since.

I thought Sonic 3D Blast was pretty good but it was nothing compared to the 2D side-scrolling games. I can't speak for the new generation games (the ones for Dreamcast and the next-gen systems) because I haven't played them.

I thought Sonic 3D Blast was pretty good but it was nothing compared to the 2D side-scrolling games. I can't speak for the new generation games (the ones for Dreamcast and the next-gen systems) because I haven't played them.

I missed out the whole series after Sonic 3D right up to Sonic Heroes, being the first Sonic game on the PS2. Compared to the old games it downright sucks. But hey, I'll still play it...

Sonic was always, ALWAYS Mario's bitch.

And I remember wasting hours upon hours playing ISS Deluxe on my SNES. Damn that game was good

Must.....resist.....fanboy.....urge.....to.....ATTACK!!!!!

I have been playing the hell out of Sonic 2 for Game Boy Advance, I forgot how much I loved these games. Sure, there are certain levels that still, after several years, I cannot get by, but hey, it's fun!!

Sonic 3, I am buying you tomorrow when I go to work!

Sure, there are certain levels that still, after several years, I cannot get by, but hey, it's fun!!

*cough*Carnival Zone*cough*

And yes the games still are great despite their seeming impossibility.