NWA:TNA 2004 - The Impact Era

Guest JamesHearte

Jarret’s looking great as champion right now, kudos to TNA for keeping the strap on him rather than having a fan-wank and putting it on Styles. I don’t give *s, but I’d say B+ to every match except the Tag titles, which I’d give C+. I like Northcutt/Legend, but don’t think they’re ready for the belts. Hope I’m proved wrong!

(Coughs)

I must have been sleep deprived when I wrote that. Upon giving it a closer look The Redshirts look better this time around. You've given them much more attitude then they had the last time they beat 3LK for the belts.

By making them public enemy number one they could drive the division for the next couple of months..

-Hearte

Yet another double update? Man, you guys are lucky!

<div align=center>user posted image</div>

NWA:TNA Pay-Per-View preview for 7/7/04…

This week’s TNA Pay-Per-View is set to see some huge matches and the fallout of Impact’s Night of Champions last week! NWA World champion Jeff Jarret will be in the Asylum, and so will AJ Styles and Raven, two of the top contenders for his title, who seemed to be on the same page last week! What will go down between these men, especially considering that Erik Watts will not be in attendance and Don Callis will be the sole authority figure present?

Already booked for this week’s show are an X Division title match, as young Frankie Kazarian defends the title against the experienced and focused Vampiro, a member of Jim Mitchell’s New Church. Vampiro has vowed to bring gold to lay at the altar of the New Church, so you can bet this one is going to be emotional!

Following his win over Chris Harris last week and his crucial interference in the main event, Kid Kash is on somewhat of a roll lately. This week on Pay-Per-View, he’ll be looking to continue that momentum as he goes up against one of the pioneers of the TNA X Division – Jerry Lynn.

In addition to this, we’ll be seeing two big tag team matches this week! Not only will the Red Shirt Security be making their first NWA Tag Team title defence against their nemeses, Erik Watts’ Black Shirt Security, but Glenn Gilberti and David Young will be teaming up to face America’s Most Wanted, with the winners receiving a title shot next week! With AMW currently having a rough patch after last week’s Impact, will Gilberti and Young be able to capitalise in order to get a title shot? Or, will Harris and Storm come through like they have so many times before, and go on to victory?

For all of this and more, including an exclusive interview with Kid Kash, make sure to join us for the TNA Pay-Per-View on Wednesday! Check your local listings and PPV provider for details.

And...

Head Booker’s Diary for 6/7/04…

I’d like to open today’s diary entry with some breaking news – Vince McMahon is an idiot. Not content with laying off some of his brightest developmental talents in a costcutting measure because he can’t quite afford that yacht made entirely out of solid gold, he has now released a host of midcarders and non-wrestlers for no good reason, most of whom are pretty talented – Johnathan Coachman, Al Snow, Dean Malenko, Tazz, John Heidenreich, Nick Dinsmore, Bill DeMott, and Jazz. The most surprising ones there are Nick Dinsmore and Tazz, especially when you consider how popular Tazz is as an announcer and that Dinsmore’s ‘Eugene’ gimmick was really getting over. Well, their loss is the independent scene’s gain, I suppose.

In other news in today’s somewhat short diary entry – the IWC has apparently learned how much I hate Kevin Nash! The rumours have ceased, hurrah! The fact that they have been replaced with a similar rumour about us being interested in Sean Waltman is irritating, but nothing can halt my good mood today – the Nash rumours have stopped, and I watched that tape of Sabin beating Gowan again.

In a very bizarre move, Sky TV guru Rupert Murdoch has made his mark on the world of wrestling, apparently after getting sick of just owning pretty much every television station in existence and a multi-million dollar soccer team – Manchester United, for all you Brits out there! – and has bought out CZW. Yes, Combat Zone Wrestling, the world’s most horrifying, hardcore, and generally risky promotion, has been bought out by Murdoch, who has introduced some changes – the promotion, he claims, will no longer be brutal and hardcore, but showcase technical wrestling and entertainment for all. Well, I suppose he’s the guy who knows good TV, but getting rid of the barbed wire matches and staple-guns is really going to see CZW lose some of their niche fans. I spoke to James Storm earlier, and he’s pretty bemused about the whole thing.

Signing out for today, and definitely not owned by BSkyB!

Mark Jackson, Head Booker!

Show should be up in the next few days, I have an exam tomorrow so I doubt I'll be doing much writing in the morning/early afternoon, as I have been whilst on study leave (revision is for people without self-confidence, you know), so I'm estimating Friday for this one.

RK!

:thumbs-up:

Guest JamesHearte

Both Dean Malenko and Jazz would be good people to pick up. Dean might be able to put on some good matches with a technical X division wrestler.

Jazz could be utilised in a Chyna like roll.

(Starts the Nash roumer back up. He brings the workrate, BAH-BAY!)

It's not a Raven's Kid update unless it's a DOUBLE update!

Wrestling News, 411mania.com…

The cull over at Titan Towers continued today, with reports from the company suggesting that many workers are fearing for their jobs after so many have been released from their contracts in the space of a week. The workers fired today were…

Rob Conway,

Chuck Palumbo,

Lita,

Mark Jindrak,

Orlando Jordan,

Rosey,

Jacqueline,

Matt Morgan,

Gail Kim,

Paul London,

Sylvain Grenier.

It is unlikely that many of these workers, all talented wrestlers who have appeared on television for the WWE at some stage, will have any trouble finding work. This is especially true of Paul London, perhaps the most talented of the group, who announced on his website earlier today that he would be joining NWA:TNA on an open deal and is still accepting independent bookings.

And...

THE PAY-PER-VIEW, BA-BAY!

<div align=center>user posted image</div>

NWA:TNA Pay-Per-View, 7/7/04:

((Live on PPV from the Asylum in Nashville, TN))

((Mike Tenay and Don West at ringside))

Dark Match: Jay Lethal vs Sonjay Dutt

Lethal put on a very impressive showing in this non-televised match, eventually putting Dutt away after countering a hurricanrana into his Lethal Injection finisher at around 10 minutes. ***1/2. Afterwards, Lethal celebrated and went backstage as the PPV came on air.

(Match Quality 95%, Crowd Reaction 48%, Overall Rating 71%)

The Pay-Per-View opens this week with a highlights package of the NWA World’s Heavyweight title situation over the past few shows, featuring the increasing paranoia and desperation of Jeff Jarret leading to his attack on Ron Killings and AJ Styles, his ultimatum to every NWA:TNA superstar to choose a side, and the outcome of his main event encounter with Styles last Friday. As the highlights fade out with the shot of Kash and Jarret celebrating, we go over to the TNA Asylum for the first TNA Pay-Per-View in July! The cameras scan the crowd, picking out such crowd signs as “AJ was robbed!” and “Raven, let me join the Gathering!” amongst others, before we head over to the broadcast position where Mike Tenay and Don West are situated, as usual.

---

Mike Tenay: Welcome to the TNA Pay-Per-View! After the shocking conclusion to last week’s Impact main event, which saw Jeff Jarret retain the World’s Heavyweight title thanks to Kid Kash, we know that everybody who got involved in that match will be here tonight! AJ is here, Raven is here, the Red Shirt Security and the Gathering are here, and Kid Kash is here!

Don West: Not forgetting Jeff Jarret, Tenay! The champion isn’t scheduled to be in action tonight, but he is in the building nonetheless, and you can bet your bottom dollar that he’ll be happy about how Impact turned out!

Mike Tenay: I can imagine he would be, Don, but I still don’t understand just why Kid Kash felt the need to get involved! He’s on a mission to become the next Triple Crown winner, why is he aligning himself with Jarret? It doesn’t seem to make sense!

Don West: Well, I guess we’ll find out later on, Mike, because Scott Hudson is going to get an exclusive interview with the Notorious K.I.D. later in the show!

---

Breaking The Alliance…

As the announcers shill the rest of the show, the music of Don Callis is heard over the speakers, and the Asylum is awash with boos as the TNA Management Consultant heads down to the ring, accompanied by the new Tag Team champions, the Red Shirt Security. Ignoring the boos and looking very pleased with himself indeed this evening, Callis takes a microphone…

Don Callis: Last week, after our main event contest was finished, we saw something pretty damn curious, if you ask me. Raven, a man who claims his destiny is to be the champion, coming to the aid of AJ Styles, another top contender for the NWA World’s title. So, what exactly is going on here? Have these two men teamed up, have they decided that two heads are better than one? Well, maybe they have, I’ll give Raven credit and say he’s an intelligent guy, but as for Styles…

Callis is cut off at this point as an “AJ!” chant from the Asylum. He shoots a murderous look at the loudest sections of the crowd, and continues on over the noise…

Don Callis: Oh, that’s right, chant for AJ! Chant for Styles, chant for the loser! What happened last week was a blessing, you know that? Can you people, you pathetic morons, even get your heads around the severity of AJ Styles possibly being champion? The reputation of TNA, of the whole NWA, would be utterly, cataclysmically tarnished beyond repair, and you people had better be damn glad that the title is still around Jarret’s waist!

There are more boos for this, but Callis has worked up some momentum now and merely shrugs them off as he continues…

Don Callis: So… regarding the Styles and Raven situation. An alliance between those two men is dangerous, very dangerous indeed. They’re both hot-headed individuals, not dangerous on their own – Styles has more guts than brains and Raven can’t get the job done – but if you put them together it’s like nitro and TNT… boom! So, tonight, I’m officially breaking that alliance. They want the title? Fine, they can try all they like, but only one of them is getting the shot. Tonight, it’s going to be Raven against Styles, with the winner being named number one contender!

The fans cheer for the main event, but at Callis’ smug and self-satisfied look many of the fans begin to boo again. The TNA Management Consultant tosses the microphone down to the mat, and exits the ring.

(Segment quality 74%)

---

Mike Tenay: What a huge match! Tonight, Jeff Jarret’s two biggest foes meet in the middle of the ring to decide which one of them gets a shot at the World’s champion! This is huge, Don!

Don West: Oh, man! Love him or hate him, Tenay, Don Callis certainly knows what he’s doing! Any thoughts of an alliance between Raven and Styles will be out of the window thanks to this match!

Mike Tenay: You might be right there, Don, but I’ve got to see this as a good thing – Callis, perhaps Jarret’s closest ally here in NWA:TNA, has sanctioned this match, meaning that there is no way for Jarret to worm his way out of defending the title, or postpone the match! Callis may have shot Jarret in the foot, because he’s given the two top contenders a chance to get their hands on the champion!

---

As Tenay finishes speaking, the Black Shirt Security’s music plays over the speakers, and the team of Chris Vaughn and “Heavy D” Don Harris head out to the ring for their Tag Team title shot against the Redshirts. Northcutt and Legend, still in the ring from earlier, hand their belts over to the referee and talk strategy as the Blackshirts step into the ring to begin the match.

OPENER: Red Shirt Security © vs Black Shirt Security – NWA Tag Team title match

The Blackshirts start off well here, quickly overpowering Northcutt and sending him to the outside before working on Legend. Harris uses his size advantage to good effect here, while Vaughn brings his agility into play to keep Legend guessing. Eventually, the Redshirts pull their way back into the match, and Northcutt goes toe-to-toe with Harris. The two men brawl all the way across the ring and out to ringside, using the ring steps to attack each other, before finally re-entering the ring. Harris ducks a big boot attempt, and nails a massive powerslam out of nowhere! Heavy D tags in Vaughn, who attempts a flying legdrop, but Northcutt somehow catches him! The big man decimates Vaughn with a powerbomb, which puts him away at 4:46! ¾*.

Don Harris re-enters the ring after the match, but is quickly overpowered by the Redshirts without his partner to help him, and then given the Underhook Piledriver from Northcutt! The Red Shirt Security celebrate their victory, until they are attacked out of nowhere by CM Punk and Julio Dinero! The Gathering use the element of surprise to their advantage, knocking the Redshirts out of the ring, and we have a pier 6 brawl on our hands! Eventually, the two teams brawl through the crowd and out of sight as the Asylum is loving it!

(Match Quality 65%, Crowd Reaction 55%, Overall Rating 60%)

---

Mike Tenay: Oh, wow! The Gathering just blindsided the Redshirts, and they’ve brawled all the way to the back! Remember, last week on Impact the Gathering made their decision on Jarret’s ultimatum by stopping the Redshirts from getting to Raven, and I think we’ve just seen a further statement from Punk and Dinero!

Don West: I can’t believe those two were able to get the better of the Redshirts! I mean, Northcutt and Legend are huge guys, but the Gathering really know how to use the element of surprise!

Mike Tenay: And, speaking of the Tag Team champions, the Redshirts, Don – right now we’ve got our second tag team match of the evening, as Glenn Gilberti and David Young team up to face America’s Most Wanted to decide who gets a shot next week! Now, normally you’d expect AMW to steamroll this one based on their past form, but remember what we saw last week – AMW have hit turbulent times, or so it seems, and that could very well affect their in-ring performance!

---

As the announcers speak, America’s Most Wanted’s music plays over the speakers and the crowd give a great reaction to Chris Harris and James Storm as they head out onto the ramp, with the cheers and screams from the teenage girls in attendance bringing back memories of the Rockers. Harris and Storm appear to have patched things up since Impact, although the Wildcat is still watching his partner closely. As they warm up in the ring, the music of Gilberti’s Army plays over the speaker system, and Glenn Gilberti heads out with David Young. The two men talk tactics and strategy on the outside of the ring, until AMW vault onto them with stereo planchas! Harris and Storm throw their opponents into the ring and the bell rings.

MATCH 2: America’s Most Wanted vs Gilberti and Young

America’s Most Wanted keep up their pre-match advantage early on, quickly removing Glenn Gilberti from the match and isolating David Young, using their individual abilities and the excellent tag team chemistry they have built up over two years to gain several near-falls and wear him down. After a few minutes of this, Young is able to tag in Gilberti, who looks a little apprehensive but still locks up with Storm. The two men wrestle on the mat, feeling each other out, until a mistake from Storm gives Gilberti the upper hand. Gilberti and Young work on Storm now, isolating him and wearing him down with numerous double-team and illegal moves. After a big neckbreaker, Young attempts a powerbomb, but Storm counters the move and is able to tag in Chris Harris. Young tags in Gilberti, who is quickly overpowered by Harris. The Wildcat attempts the Catatonic, but David Young is able to rescue his partner. Moments later, James Storm flies off of the top rope with a missile dropkick aimed for Young, but misses and strikes his partner! Harris stumbles forwards, right into a Gilberti roll-up for the pinfall at 12:58! **3/4.

Gilberti and Young, intelligent enough to know AMW will be angry at the outcome of the match, quickly head backstage once the bell rings, pausing only to raise their hands in celebration on the ramp before disappearing. Storm helps his partner to his feet, apologising profusely, but Harris fixes him with an icy stare and unloads a verbal tirade on him! America’s Most Wanted are arguing in the middle of the ring! Eventually, Harris heads backstage, with a visibly upset James Storm following him.

(Match Quality 82%, Crowd Reaction 72%, Overall Rating 77%)

---

Mike Tenay: Oh boy, Don, those signs of turbulence within America’s Most Wanted that we saw last week appear to have survived the weekend! Gilberti and Young won the match after a missed James Storm dropkick caught Chris Harris, and you can see that the Wildcat is anything but happy!

Don West: Did you see him after the match, yelling like that at Storm? I mean, you could tell Storm was sorry about the outcome of the match, but Chris Harris was having absolutely none of it, Mike! I said it last week, and I’ll say it again – this spells trouble in paradise for TNA’s most experienced tag team!

Mike Tenay: Right you are, Don! You’ve got to believe that right now, after being cost two matches in as many shows by his partner’s mistakes, Chris Harris is definitely not on the same page as James Storm! We’re going to a commercial break, but when we come back we’ll have an interview with the Notorious K.I.D, Kid Kash!

---

---Break---

---

Mike Tenay: We’re back folks, and let me just take you back to last week at the end of TNA Impact. Having already beaten Chris Harris to advance in the World’s title rankings, Kid Kash would then interject himself into the main event between Jeff Jarret and AJ Styles, using a steel chair to cost Styles the match and align himself with Jarret. Right now, Kash is with Scott Hudson in the back, and Scott’s going to try and find out what we all want to know – why?

---

Making A Mark…

Moments later, we go over to the backstage area, where TNA backstage interviewer Scott Hudson is standing with Kid Kash. Kash, grinning from ear-to-ear, is in his ring attire for his match later on, with his “Heel Section” vest top on as usual…

Scott Hudson: Kid Kash, last week on TNA Impact you made not one but two statements, beating Chris Harris to advance in the hunt for the title, and then aligning yourself with Jeff Jarret at the expense of AJ Styles. Like Mike Tenay said, I guess what everyone wants to know is, why?

Kid Kash: Let me tell you something, Scott Hudson. Look at me. I’m a former X Division champion, I’m a former Tag Team champion, and I’m an NWA World champion in the making. I will become the World champion one day, Hudson, you mark my words. But, I’m not stupid. I know just how long it takes to be considered ready for a title shot, I know that I have a long way to go. So, until the day that I get my shot at the title, I’ve aligned myself with the most powerful man in NWA:TNA. Jeff Jarret, champion or not, is the single most powerful and well-connected guy here, and it’d be stupid to think that his influence, when I come to make my move, won’t help me out. When Jarret, last week, called for everybody to make a decision, I’d already made mine. I’m in his corner, all the way, because he’s the man with the power. I’m going to make my mark on NWA:TNA, Hudson, you mark my words, and I’m going to do it on Jarret’s side. Now, I’ve got a match, so this interview is over.

Kash walks off, knocking into Scott Hudson’s shoulder and pushing past him on the way, and Hudson turns to face the cameras…

Scott Hudson: Well, there you have it – Kash claims he’s placed himself where the power is by aligning with Jeff Jarret. Back to you guys.

(Segment quality 78%)

---

Mike Tenay: Well, we didn’t expect anything different from Kash, did we? He’s an opportunist and a slimeball if I ever saw one, Don, and this is just his strategy – winning Jarret over by helping him out, getting the NWA World’s champion onside, and then using him for his own means!

Don West: Oh yeah, he’s a wily one alright, Tenay, but even so you’ve got to admire the smarts of this guy! He’s not just aligned himself with anybody, but with the champion, the top dog, and he’s done it in the best possible way – by helping Jarret keep ahold of what he holds most dear in the entire world. You can bet, after Impact, that Jarret owes Kid Kash a debt of gratitude!

Mike Tenay: Well, that may be so, Don, but if you ask me then Kid Kash is playing with forces he doesn’t quite understand here and he’s going to get burned, big time! Right now, however, we’re about to see if Kash can back up his big words with an equally-big performance against Jerry Lynn!

---

Jerry Lynn’s music plays over the speakers, and the fans give a great reception to the New F’N Show and one of the innovators of the X Division style as he walks out from behind the curtain and down to the ring. Lynn climbs the turnbuckle, and salutes the fans with the ‘heavy metal’ sign before jumping down from the top rope and warming up. Kid Kash’s music plays moments later, and the Notorious K.I.D. gets a hail of abuse from the Asylum as he makes his way out onto the ramp, looking cocky and confident as always, and then walks down to the ring. The two men square off, and referee Mike Posey calls for the bell to start the bout.

MATCH 3: Kid Kash vs Jerry Lynn

Both men start this contest by circling each other, looking for weak spots, and then locking up in the centre of the ring. Kash and Lynn jockey for position for quite some time here, feeling each other out and trying to find a chink in each other’s armour to pounce upon. Lynn wins the lock-up and gets a hammerlock, but Kash goes low with a mule kick to take control. The Notorious K.I.D. keeps the advantage now, going after Lynn’s arm with various submission holds and some high-impact maneuvers as well. Lynn comes back with a series of dropkicks to power back into the match, and begins to work on Kash’s head and neck with his own technical skills, wearing him down for the Cradle-Piledriver. The match spills to the outside as Kash slings Lynn over the ropes and follows up with a corkscrew splash, before smashing him into the guardrail. The two men are almost counted out, but re-enter the ring and continue to work on their selected targets, weakening them up considerably as the match wears on. Eventually, Kash slings Lynn into the turnbuckle and hits a picture-perfect tornado armbreaker, following up with an armbar to pile on the pressure. The New F’N Show somehow frees himself, and kicks Kash in the gut, before setting him up for the Cradle-Piledriver. Suddenly, Lynn drops him and doubles over, allowing Kash to roll through and score a rope-assisted backslide pin to win at 16:27! ****1/2.

Kash rolls to the outside after the match, and we get a replay of the finish – Kash headbutted Lynn in the crotch whilst set up for the piledriver! The obnoxious, opportunistic Kash goes to the outside and grabs a steel chair as Lynn gets up, babying his arm and crotch, and turns around right into a Smashmouth from Kash! The Asylum hurls abuse at the Notorious K.I.D. as he showboats, until AJ Styles comes hurtling down the ramp! The fans go wild as AJ knocks Kash to the floor with some wild right hands, and then uses the chair to knock him down again! Styles positions the chair, and then whirls Kash up for the Styles Clash, right onto the steel! The fans chant for Styles as he stands over Kash.

(Match Quality 100%, Crowd Reaction 71%, Overall Rating 85%)

---

Mike Tenay: It’s AJ, Don, it’s AJ! Styles, furious at being cost the NWA World’s title last week by Kash, has just gained a measure of revenge by brutalising Kash right now! Oh, revenge is sweet for Styles!

Don West: Kash had better count himself lucky right now, Tenay, that AJ’s retained some control over himself! If he’d really let loose, with all of the anger he must be feeling after last week, I’m sure we’d be looking at Kid Kash getting dragged out of here, or scraped off of the mat!

Mike Tenay: Kash cost AJ the title, and AJ just returned fire – does this end here, or will the problems between these two men grow as time goes on? We’ll see in the coming weeks, I’m sure, but right now it’s time for another commercial break!

---

---Break---

---

Mike Tenay: Welcome back, and right now it’s time for tonight’s X Division title match, as young champion Frankie Kazarian defends against the experienced and heartless Vampiro, who is of course a member of James Mitchell’s New Church. Remember, Don, on Impact last Friday we saw Christopher Daniels interject himself after an X Division title match, and you and I speculated that the Fallen Angel may be on a new run for the title. Will Daniels make an appearance this week?

---

As Tenay speaks, Frankie Kazarian’s music plays over the speakers, and the Asylum gives a good reaction to the talented young X Division champion as he heads out from the back, saluting the fans and holding the X title high and proud in the air as he makes his way down the ramp and into the squared circle. Kazarian hands his belt over the official as his music is replaced by the New Church’s, and Vampiro makes his way out from the back with James Mitchell at his side. Mitchell pours out an endless stream of motivation and strategy to Vampiro as they walk down the ramp, and takes up a position on the apron as the two competitors face off.

MATCH 4: Frankie Kazarian © vs Vampiro – NWA X Division title match

Kazarian’s youth and speed give him the upper hand in the earlier stages of this match, with various top-rope assaults, quick and agile moves and counters, and some clever submission holds all helping to give him an advantage, executed with lightning-quickness. Vampiro tries to come back at several stages, but Kazarian is always able to outmaneuver him to regain control. Eventually, James Mitchell gets involved by distracting the official, allowing Vampiro to use a low blow to gain control. Vampiro’s experience becomes a factor as the match goes on, with some great technical wrestling and educated top-rope assaults on the champion. After hitting a 450 splash, Vampiro signals for the end of the match, but stalls too long with Kazarian in position for the Nail in the Coffin, allowing the champion to counter into a reverse DDT! From there, Kazarian uses the advantage to hit the Flux Capacitor on the stunned Vampiro for the pinfall at 7:45. ***1/4.

Post-match, Kazarian takes his title back from the referee and celebrates his victory, as Vampiro stumbles out of the ring and heads to the back with Mitchell. As they walk up the ramp, however, someone rushes past them – it’s Christopher Daniels! The Fallen Angel jumps into the ring and tries to blindside Kazarian, but the champion somehow ducks and lays him out with the title belt! Daniels attempts another charge, but Kazarian ducks again and this time hits the Flux Capacitor! The Fallen Angel eventually retreats, heading through the crowd, leaving Kazarian in the ring.

(Match Quality 86%, Crowd Reaction 75%, Overall Rating 80%)

---

Mike Tenay: We were right, Don, the Fallen Angel tried to get involved after this match as well!

Don West: He took a Hell of a punishment for it, though, Tenay! Kazarian was somehow able to dodge two assaults, and lay Daniels out both times, sending him scurrying to the back! You can bet that Christopher Daniels is going to be anything but pleased with the outcome of that!

Mike Tenay: I think that you’re right, Don, because I’m just hearing through my earpiece that Daniels has approached Scott Hudson in the back, and I think we can head over there right now!

---

The Gospel…

Sure enough, we head backstage now, where an irate, out-of-breath Christopher Daniels is standing next to TNA backstage interviewer Scott Hudson. Hudson holds the microphone out for Daniels to speak into, but the Fallen Angel snatches it away and simply shoves Hudson out of view…

Christopher Daniels: Frankie Kazarian… you bested me tonight, but it shall not happen again! Throughout my time in NWA:TNA, the title belt that you wear around your waist has eluded me. No matter how hard I have tried, ultimate victory in the hunt for the X Division gold slips through my fingers… but no more! Now I hear it, Kazarian, I hear that title calling to me louder than ever before, and I vow… no, I swear it at the altar of the Fallen Angel, before all of my apostles, that I will prise it from your infernal clutches and crown myself X Division champion, and that is the Gospel according to the Fallen Angel!

Daniels tosses the microphone back to a bemused Scott Hudson, and walks out of sight, still obviously furious. Hudson turns to face the cameras now…

Scott Hudson: The Fallen Angel claims that he is ready to take the X Division title, that he hears it calling to him. Will he be able to realise this dream? Keep watching NWA:TNA, people. We’re going to commercials right now, but when we come back we have tonight’s huge main event, as Raven meets Styles for the number one contendership!

(Segment quality 85%)

---Break---

---

Mike Tenay: We’re back, folks, and it’s almost time for the main event! Don Callis, at the top of the show, claimed that an alliance between Raven and AJ Styles against NWA World’s champion Jeff Jarret was dangerous and unacceptable, and he made this match knowing just how much both men want to get their hands on Jarret.

Don West: You’ve got to say, Tenay, even if you can’t stand the guy, that Don Callis may have got it right here! I mean – the title means more to AJ than anything right now, and Raven has always claimed that his destiny is to be champion. But now, one-on-one, these two men get a chance to realise their dreams, and this may be the only thing that can break their alliance before it even starts!

Mike Tenay: But, like we’ve been saying all night, Don – TNA Management Consultant Don Callis may have made a fatal mistake here, from the point of view of Jeff Jarret’s title reign. Remember, Callis wants to see Jarret champion at all costs, but he’s booked a match tonight between two of the champion’s biggest adversaries, with the winner guaranteed to get a title shot! After tonight, there’s nowhere to run for Jarret, and the irony is that it’s all down to his closest ally here in NWA:TNA!

---

The announcers have just finished speaking when the first chords of “I Am” play over the speakers, and the video package for AJ Styles is shown, featuring “The Phenomenal” pulling off many hair-raising, high-risk maneuvers in NWA:TNA. When the video package eventually fades out, Styles’ music hits and the Asylum goes wild as he makes his way down the ramp, looking psyched up for this one. He salutes the fans in the ring, until his music fades and silence embraces the Asylum. Our screens are filled with shots of mental patients on psychiatric wards being dragged into cells against their will, with scenes of torture and pain in the name of medical science, and with shots bringing back memories of Stanley Kubrick’s “A Clockwork Orange” movie. Eventually, a chilling voice whispers “Quote the Raven – Nevermore” and Raven’s music plays over the speaker system. The Asylum gives Raven a standing ovation as he heads out to the ring, doing his crucifix pose, his eyes fixed on AJ Styles. The two men eye each other up before the match, and shake hands as the bell rings.

MAIN EVENT: Raven vs AJ Styles – number one contendership match

As the bell rings, Raven uses the handshake to drag Styles into a clothesline, and immediately take control. Styles tries to come back several times early on, but cannot out-brawl Raven, who crushes him into the turnbuckle and begins whaling away with right hands and boots, sending the Phenomenal to the mat. Raven keeps up the pressure now with some stomps and a camel clutch, before hauling AJ to his feet and beginning to slowly pick away at his head and neck with some hard strikes, powerful moves, and technical wrestling. Styles eventually gets back into the match by countering a powerbomb into a sunset flip, and uses the momentum to springboard off of the ropes with a crossbody. The two men battle it out across the ring now, with AJ gaining the upper hand thanks to his speed and agility, running rings around Raven now. The match eventually spills to the outside, and Raven uses the guardrail, whipping Styles into it and taking control. Styles tries to run the railings, but is caught and powerslammed, before being tossed into the ring. AJ tries to outmaneuver Raven and go to the top, but his attempted flying hurricanrana is turned into a devastating powerbomb! Raven poses and signals for the Evenflow DDT, but we suddenly see Jeff Jarret running out to ringside! Jarret, guitar in hand, attempts to level Raven, who ducks and turns around, right into another swing which connects! The referee, seeing the interference, calls for the DQ at 13:01. ***3/4.

Jarret holds the remains of the guitar in the air after the match, yelling that nobody won the match, until Raven is announced the winner! Jarret looks furious and begins arguing with referee Rudy Charles, until AJ Styles comes from behind and takes him down! An infuriated Styles beats down on Jarret, yelling out in sheer fury, before picking him up and giving him the Styles Clash!

(Match Quality 83%, Crowd Reaction 84%, Overall Rating 83%)

---

Mike Tenay: Oh man! Jeff Jarret just interfered in our main event, evidently trying to force a no contest so neither man would receive a title shot, but his plan backfired and he ended up giving victory to Raven on a plate by way of DQ!

Don West: And look how mad AJ is, Tenay! Jarret’s getting beaten down in that ring, Styles Clash, and AJ is utterly furious! Oh no, I think Jarret has bitten off more than he can chew here, for sure – he’s signed himself up to a match with Raven, for the title no less, and he’s also got a pissed off AJ Styles on his tail! It’s not a good week to be Jeff Jarret!

Mike Tenay: You’re right about that one, Don, and I can imagine we’ll be seeing the fallout from this number one contender’s match on Impact this Friday night! Well, for now we’re out of time, but the big news from tonight – Raven beats Styles by way of DQ, and now he’s got a shot at Jarret!

---

The show fades out with Styles, who has left Jarret down and out on the mat, and Raven, who is on the ramp, exchanging a stare-down.

Card Rating – 78%

Hope y'all enjoyed that one. I felt I was able to get a bit more into the storylines here, although I missed the shock value of the first show a bit. But, all in all, I think this was a good show. Feedback, comments, disagreements, all are welcome. Enjoy!

RK!

:blush:

Guest LilJoeyPez

Great show, the finish to the Main Event was cool and I can't wait to see Jarrett vs. Raven next week. The Kash/AJ feud is cool, and the escalating problems between AMW are cool, but is it just me or do the angles seem like a carbon copy of the ones in the Los Guerreros split?

All in all, a great show. :thumbs-up:

BTW, the center tag is <center>...

Head Booker’s Post-Show Notes for NWA:TNA Pay-Per-View, 7/7/04…

I’m really happy with how that one went. The demands of live Pay-Per-View are infinitely more than those you get with a recorded television show, because everything has to be just so on the first attempt, and you can’t re-shoot or tidy up any mistakes. I think we responded well to that one, and I’m really liking how the product is turning out at this point.

The final Pay-Per-View buyrate came in overnight, scoring a 0.20. Not our highest ever, by any means, but then again our closest competition’s last PPV event was its lowest buyrate in three years so we’re hardly dead on our feet right now. The Asylum was utterly jam-packed for the show, with 3206 joining us, giving the company $41678 from ticket sales in addition to the $500000 made from PPV revenue.

I’ve had a few calls and e-mails from various wrestlers and road agents since the show, all of them offering advice, suggestions, and information based on last night’s show…

Road agent Jack Brisco called to discuss the Jay Lethal/Sonjay Dutt dark match that we put on before the PPV aired, saying that he really liked the way the two men’s styles gelled and that he thought it was a great match. I have to say I agree with him, Jay Lethal is definitely one for the future.

Ron Killings also called me, having seen the Frankie Kazarian/Vampiro match and believing that he could put on some good matches with Vampiro given the chance. It’s a good suggestion, yes, so I’ll be holding onto that one until it becomes viable in terms of storylines and whatnot.

Once again, I have compiled a list of the top face pops and the top heel reactions from the Pay-Per-View, to give us an idea of where the big-money segments of the show lie…

Top 5 Face Pops…

1. Styles attacking Jeff Jarret

2. Raven

3. America’s Most Wanted

4. Jerry Lynn

5. Frankie Kazarian

Top 5 Heel Pops…

1. Jeff Jarret

2. Kid Kash

3. Christopher Daniels

4. Don Callis

5. Glenn Gilberti/David Young

Having been backstage during the Pay-Per-View, and watching it over last night, I’ve once again come up with some personal opinions on how everything went…

Don Callis segment…

Like I’ve maintained recently, Callis is a great talker, and he did a lot to put over just how much Jarret being champion means to him, and why he was making the main event. That said, I think the fact that the match was between two babyfaces hurt the announcement somewhat, because the allegiance of the fans was split between the two men.

Tag Team title match

We weren’t expecting much in the way of a five-star technical contest from this one, but even so I must say the Redshirts and Blackshirts didn’t really perform here. It was mostly a brawl, with some good spots worked in every now and then, but we’re going to need Northcutt and Legend to step it up if they want to be credible champions, I think.

AMW vs Gilberti/Young

This one was much better, really got the crowd moving as America’s Most Wanted tend to, and definitely improved upon the opening match. Gilberti and Young came off as great opportunists, using the tension between AMW to their advantage, whilst Harris and Storm are really playing the mis-communication and problems between them excellently.

Kid Kash interview

Kash is a pretty good talker, nothing too spectacular but solid and reliable on the stick, and he showed this here. A good job of putting over his alignment with Jarret and getting over his cocky, self-serving character, and also a hint of trouble to come were Jarret to lose the title or Kash to become a top contender. This interview pretty much set the foundation for the Jarret/Kash relationship.

Kid Kash vs Jerry Lynn

What can you say about these two? You know, if you put Kash or Lynn into a ring, the outcome is going to be good, and when you put them into a ring together then it’s going to be great. Excellent wrestling psychology, some good high-flying spots, and a real sense of technical mastery and a story being told by the two men. The finish was entirely their own creation, too, and I loved it. Styles’ run-in afterwards was hot, as well, and they played it well.

X Division title match

Both Kazarian and Vampiro put on a good, solid match here, which got over their individual talents and abilities as well as their characters and the worth of the X Division title. Some good spots, and an improved crowd reaction over last week, I’m happy with this one. Another Daniels run-in got a good response, as did Kazarian’s retaliation, and I think everyone is looking forward to seeing this feud develop.

Christopher Daniels interview

I must say, I’ve always been a mark for the Fallen Angel character, and it’s interviews like this that are the reason why – short, sharp, to-the-point, and utterly brilliant. Christopher Daniels is a master on the stick, putting over his reasons for attacking Kazarian and doing a lot to build to an eventual showdown for the title.

Raven vs AJ Styles

I really liked this one, I thought it was a great main event that really got over the worth of a shot at Jarret by how hard these two guys worked during the bout. AJ is always stellar in the ring, with some great moves and his impossibly-innovative wrestling style, whilst Raven has been a master of the psychological game for years. The Jarret run-in got a huge pop, and the scheming nature of the champion came off well, even when his plan backfired. Good, hot end to the show, with the Raven/Styles staredown afterwards ending on a great note.

I checked our TNA fan forums again after the show, and some of the most representative responses are below…

"Matt– Kash/Lynn was a great match, loved it! The feud with Kash and AJ is looking good, that match will be awesome! Looking forward to seeing Raven/Jarret in the ring, and also Kazarian/Daniels."

"Makavelli – How do overrated Styles and old-timer Raven get ***3/4? It was just a glorified brawl, maybe **1/2 at best. The Tag Team titles lost all credibility on this show, and the Callis interview killed his character because he essentially gave a shot to Raven. Kash/Lynn was nowhere near ****1/2."

"Pez – **1/2 for the main event? Get out, Maka, that was easily the ***3/4 it got! Callis’ interview was pretty good, I thought, it’ll be interesting to see how Jarret takes the idea of Raven getting a shot. Loved Kash/Lynn, I agree with Matt that the match between Kash/Styles will be great when it happens."

"Slaron – Wondering why main event calibre Gilberti is still tagging with Young, but otherwise a good show. I think the Redshirts looked good on this one, public enemy number one! Raven as number one contender is a good move, he’s got the charisma and skills to hang with Jarret, and this leaves AJ to face Kash."

"Estrada – Ugh, Raven with a title shot? THUMBS DOWN! I liked the whole Daniels/Kazarian thing, and the Kid Kash interview, but I really can’t stomach the idea of Raven with the strap. Put it on Styles!"

They’re a crazy bunch, aren’t they? Well, that’s your lot for this show, thanks for watching and I hope you tune in for Impact!

Mark Jackson, Head Booker

Righty. Preview for Impact, possibly another diary entry, and Impact itself should be up over the weekend... I hope. Enjoy!

RK!

:ohwell:

How the hell can Frankie Kazarian duck a belt shot and hit a Flux Capacitator? Do you actually know what it is? These are the kind of thing you need to research, minor things seperate a good diary from a great diary. This is actually better than I expected it to be. Solid matches, nothing amazing, nothing too bad. The promos could do with some work though, I just can't picture the characters saying this. Don Callis especially, it just doesn't sound like Callis IMO :)

I've seen enough TNA to picture Callis saying what he said, and I did extensive enough research to try and voice each of the characters properly. I'll admit I haven't ever seen the Flux Capacitor, having only seen Kazarian wrestle twice, losing both times - what exactly is it?

RK!

Hopefully you know what The SAT's Spanish Fly is, if you don't it's a Top Rope, Double Backflip Uranage (Double Backflip Rockbottom). Well The Flux Capacitator is a one man version of that (Top Rope Uranage). He sometimes puts a little corkscrew thingy into it, it's THE SHIT. You could be right about Callis, with me not able to get TNA in England (I don't have sky so I can't even get XPlosion on TWC) i've only seen what I can obtain (¬_¬). So I was just going Callis, circa 2001 and before. And I couldn't have pictured him saying that then, but maybe he's changed a little.

Guest JamesHearte

""Slaron – Wondering why main event calibre Gilberti is still tagging with Young, but otherwise a good show. I think the Redshirts looked good on this one, public enemy number one! Raven as number one contender is a good move, he’s got the charisma and skills to hang with Jarret, and this leaves AJ to face Kash.""

(Sniffs)

The days of the Glenn Gilbertti Main Event Run were Klassic. :( Then A.J. came in and ended the build up with his one week triple threat win, and started NWA-TNA's downward decline. :( Damn A.J...

Double update, you say?

Wrestling News, 411mania.com…

The cull of the WWE’s roster continues today, with Titan Towers announcing that it has released a host of workers, including Trish Stratus, Bradshaw, Tommy Dreamer, Bob Holly, and Shannon Moore. Insiders expect that the WWE will be intending to bring in newer, younger workers in order to replace those laid off in the past seven days, and many independent promotions are fearing ‘raids’ by the McMahons similar to those on the AWA and NWA in the mid-90s. One promotion that has profited from the recent layoffs is NWA:TNA, who today announced the signatures of both Shannon Moore and Nick Dinsmore, who was released earlier in the week.

In related news, NWA:TNA announced firings of its own earlier today – Abismo Negro, Heavy Metal, Hector Garza, Antonio Pena, and Monte Brown were released from their open, verbal agreements. Aside from the failed experiment with Monte Brown, these firings see the last workers brought in for the World X Cup events in May and June exiting TNA.

And...

<center>user posted image</center>

NWA:TNA Impact Preview for 9/7/04…

Impact this week is home to several grudge matches in light of recent events in NWA:TNA! Following his victory over AJ Styles on Wednesday night, number one contender Raven will be in the house, along with the World’s Heavyweight champion Jeff Jarret and the third man in the equation, AJ Styles, and all three will be in action!

Kid Kash, eager to move up the rankings and further endear himself to the NWA World’s champion, has requested a bout with Raven for Impact’s main event. Raven agreed to this one, citing a need to get into championship-winning form, and so both men will have motivation and determination to win here!

Jeff Jarret and AJ Styles have never liked each other, and this past week’s events have only intensified this animosity. Tonight, with Jarret’s ‘boy’ Kid Kash and AJ’s possible ally Raven in action elsewhere, each man will have to turn to other partners of their choice – they’re facing off in tag team action!

Christopher Daniels has been gunning for the X Division championship once more recently, hoping to add the elusive title to his long list of accolades. TNA matchmakers have finally given the Fallen Angel his chance to secure a shot at Frankie Kazarian for the strap, but he will have to get through two other men who deserve the shot just as much – Jerry Lynn and Low-Ki – in a three-way dance match!

Following their recent issues, which have seen them drop in the Tag Team title rankings and Chris Harris put out of the running for the NWA World’s title, America’s Most Wanted will be eager to get back into winning ways tonight. Citing the confusion and mis-communication in their match with Glenn Gilberti and David Young as a reason, AMW have been able to secure a non-title bout with the Red Shirt Security for Impact! But, with Harris and Storm in the midst of problems, is this the time for them to be facing perhaps the most physically-intimidating Tag Team champions in TNA history?

For these huge matches and so much more, join us on the Fox Sports Network at 3pm for Impact! Check your local listings for more information.

Impact should be up over the weekend/Monday, I believe. Enjoy!

RK!

:blink:

How could you release Abismo Negro and Hector Garza. These are the two men who could easily freshen up the X Division (In real life too). They are amazing talents, you're stupid to waste them. Erm, i'm not sure about Dinsmore and Moore signing. Moore yes, but Dinsmore, I dunno, it might just be as he's been pushed a load by WWE currently and I can't see him anywhere else at the minute. I would suggest you pick up Dreamer, possibly bring him in as an allie of Raven, or possibly relive their epic feud(s). Or you can give him some sort of a mentor role, tutoring younger talents, and stepping into the ring every so often.

Having never seen Negro and Garza wrestle, I didn't feel that I could really write them properly, or accurately. Also, their stats weren't worth keeping them on, especially when you consider their crippling lack of overness.

RK!

• 1 year later...