Refused are Fucking Dead

RPS

Okay, so why the hell is Epitaph trying to cash in on Refused now? It has been 6 years since their demise and one of the greatest punk records of all time, The Shape of Punk To Come.

If you don't know who Refused are, hang your head in shame. They are anarcherist from Sweden who made some kick ass hardcore music. They broke all sorts of barriers within the genre, using violins, techno-beats and wrote epic, 8 minute songs. They should have revolutionized punk-rock music, but unfortunally broke-up.

Now Epitaph Record's is releasing a DVD plus reissuing The Shape of Punk To Come, Songs to Fan the Flames of Discontent and the EP Collection. So why all of the sudden? My guess is that all of these kids who listen to the Used, Thrice and all of that other shit learned that they were just copying off a true hardcore band; Refused.

Oh, and if you don't know who they are, check out the New Noise, Summerholidays vs. Punk Routine, Tanhauser Derive, Rather be Dead, Lets Go Crazy, Return to the Closet... any of their songs are great.

New Noise is pretty bad ass.

I heard Refused a few years ago [98 or 99, I'd guess], and thought they sucked.

But I started listening to them last summer and realized how fucking bad ass they are.

Still not near my favourite bands list, but a damn good band, and [as you said], their shit opened the doors for a lot of the newer bands to try stuff that they may possible have not tried otherwise.

I don't see the huge problem in doing a re-release, they're not taking anything away from the band's legacy. If anything, they're adding to it by exposing it to a new generation of people who haven't heard it before.

And saying Thrice is shit is just wrong. The Used, yeah, they're crap. Bu Thrice kicks all kinds of ass.

I don't see the huge problem in doing a re-release, they're not taking anything away from the band's legacy. If anything, they're adding to it by exposing it to a new generation of people who haven't heard it before.

And saying Thrice is shit is just wrong. The Used, yeah, they're crap. Bu Thrice kicks all kinds of ass.

Same shit, different name.

I don't have a problem with re-release (heck, you can pick up a knock-off of Refused by buying The Used or Thrice) I just want to know why all of the sudden. They did only sell 90,000 at first. Heck, I could care less about the re-release as I have everyone of their off Epitaph labels.

The Shape Of Punk To Come is a kickass album. Don't really dislike any of the songs by Refused, altough New Noise is not that spectacular. Rather, Summerholidays vs Punkroutine, The Shape Of Punk To Come, The Deadly Rhythm and Liberation Frequency pwn the shit out of it.

And while we're on the subject of Swedish hardcore bands, what about Raised Fist? They're fucking badass if I ever heard one.

*moshes to the tune of Illustration Of Desperation*

The Shape Of Punk To Come is a kickass album. Don't really dislike any of the songs by Refused, altough New Noise is not that spectacular. Rather, Summerholidays vs Punkroutine, The Shape Of Punk To Come, The Deadly Rhythm and Liberation Frequency pwn the shit out of it.

And while we're on the subject of Swedish hardcore bands, what about Raised Fist? They're fucking badass if I ever heard one.

*moshes to the tune of Illustration Of Desperation*

Raised Fist is pretty bad ass.

I didn't know they were Swedish though.

Basically any of the bands on Burning Heart are either Swedish or from the region. Raised Fist are a bad-ass band.

The (International) Noise Conspiracy are good. I wouldn't call them great, but some songs (Bigger Cages, Longer Chains) borderline the excellent status.