How to end the nWo in One Year or Less

How to End the nWo in One Year or Less (And save your own ass)

A WCW TEW Diary

The Monday Night Wars were fierce in 1997. RAW finally broke Nitro’s ratings streak late in the year and finally took a turn at the top. While WCW floundered, most 1997 Nitros had been running like bad B-Shows, with many of the top stars absent from the show. Many of the main events were also poor, often with ambiguous and anti-climatic endings that made more and more fans mad, instead of wanting more. In the meantime, the WWF’s RAW was building momentum as they headed into the Attitude Era, as if Bret Hart’s departure had no impact on their booking whatsoever.

WCW needed something positive to happen. Sting was made WCW World Champion at Starrcade 1997 in December, but in classic style, the ending to the match was ambiguous and poorly booked. At best. The discontent echoed loudly through WCW, because the feud between Hollywood Hogan and Sting was supposed to be the cherished the centerpiece of the company. Many people had taken things for granted and neglected things so much, that WCW had almost reached a point of no return.

Eric Bischoff now had a dilemma. He was being pressured by backstage politics to put the title back on Hollywood Hogan and continue focusing on the New World Order, to give them all the time and all the glory. However, there was a little momentum for an end to the Hostile Takeover angle, which began way back in May 1996 when the Outsiders debuted. Eric Bischoff would either need to build on Sting, new blood or build on the New World Order, because a clear direction was needed, whatever the focus. Bischoff didn’t waste any time on his decision. He decided to put the title back on Hogan, give the Outsiders the time they wanted and go with the same old horse.

However, everyone deserves a second chance.

Eric Bischoff awoke on January 1st, 1998 and found a book left for him. The book, by an anonymous author, explained behind-the-scenes details that no one could know who wasn’t an insider. It somehow gave insight into future outcomes, addressed specifically to him. Bischoff read every page with a critical eye and after he closed the book, was surprised that he liked it. He now knew the current outcome of his plans for 1998 and beyond: failure. He also now had the means and motive to begin something new.

If he was going to save his own ass, Eric Bischoff would have to end the New World Order.

user posted image

Edited by Nottavictim

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter One: Contemplating the Book

Bischoff walked into the arena feeling less than confident. He swallowed a bit, adjusting the shoulder loop on his bag. The bag contained a little something he wasn’t about to let out of his sight: a book. Eric Bischoff apparently had to save his own ass, according to the anonymous author. And Bischoff agreed.

Eric turned the corner, past the backstage gathering area where the crew were just beginning to unload WCW equipment. It was another long day on the road. He had no office and virtually no privacy beyond that provided to him by the long, maze of hallways and rooms that made up the backstage of arenas across the country. Eric pushed open a door, found it uninhabited and stepped in. He put down his bag on a wooden table and unzipped it, looking inside quickly. He produced the book, holding it in his hands and placed it on the table in front of him.

He sat in a folding chair contemplating the book again. He gazed at the black, bold letters on the gaudy yellow bookjacket: “How to End the nWo in One Year or Less (And Save Your Own Ass)” then opened it tentatively, like an ancient artifact. It was a decent sized book, but it had taken Bischoff only several hours to read, cover to cover. The details were more articulate and precise than Arn Anderson’s memory. And just as bitter too, in some places. It looked very professional and the small print inside the front page couldn’t be distinguished from any other book distributed today. But it wasn’t from today, that’s why Bischoff hasn’t told a soul about it.

The fine print identified the book as published in the year 2004. Since it was only 1998, Bischoff knew what this meant: that this book was either from the future or part of some elaborate conspiracy to drive him batty. The thought of Vince McMahon chuckling to himself over Bischoff’s worries made him paranoid, but still curious, all at the same time.

He dropped the thought of the book’s origins as he turned a few pages, opening to the first chapter again. It was filled with insider information and detailed most of Bischoff’s failures, mostly with Souled Out 1998, the first WCW pay per view in January. While annoyed at the so-called review of his booking, Bischoff was intrigued by the perfect guess of his booking and the dead-on analysis of most of the wrestlers that made things a living hell for him daily. Seemed the author had some sympathy for Bischoff after all. The book also went further into the future in unending detail that made the entire thing hard to dismiss.

But Bischoff was interested the most in what the anonymous author had to say at the end of the first chapter. In a sort of plea, the so-called “fan” called for changes before it ended in Bischoff’s job and what’s worse, the sale of WCW to Vince McMahon by 2001! Bischoff had to chuckle at that. It was almost inconceivable to him to even consider Vince McMahon buying up his company like it was a toy that he could play with, then discard it like he had so many other things in his life. Bischoff could almost hear McMahon gloating now.

Bischoff slammed the book shut. He wasn’t about to follow some fan-boy’s wet dream for 1998, but he wasn’t about to let his company spiral down out of control either. He WAS in control of Hogan, the stories and the booking, no matter how much the author argued that it was Hogan who ran his own show. Bischoff could end any angle he wanted, even the New World Order. But would he? And how?

Guest JamesHearte

Well done time travel journals rock. This could be very good. It's been about a year since I've read an inovative backstory. It pleases me greatly that someone's finally decided to do the subtle time changing thing. Hopefully the book with remain a major factor, through out the journal's run, if it gets that far.

Excellent backstory Nottavictim, I'll be reading it'll be interesting to see how you end the NWO.

By the way you posted this at the old EWB right or am I just crazy?

Its ringing a bell, and thats the "this was awesome" bell. The backstory was very well-written, and has set the diary up nicely.

Welcome back. I was wondering just a few days ago why this didn't make the board move, and lo and behold now it has. I am pleased to no end, as the potential here is great. I look forward to the continuation of a good idea here.

TGC

Luckily, the day before EWB3 went down, I saved this diary. However, this wont be a simple repost. I intend to modify and proofread the shows in the first month of the diary, in order to make them better! That's as far as I got on EWB3.

So the question is: Would history unfold different if you already knew the outcome?

12 PPVs, 48 Nitros and 48 Thunders until the end. Approximately.

Edited by Nottavictim

The date is January 1st, 1998

WCW Active Roster:

David Taylor

Bill Goldberg

Bobby Blaze

"Beautiful" Bobby Eaton

Booker T

Brad Armstrong

Bret Hart

"Jumpin'" Jim Powers

Jimmy Hart

The Giant

Chavo Guerrero Jr.

Johnny Swinger

Louie Spicolli

"Gentleman" Chris Adams

"Crippler" Chris Benoit

"Lionheart" Chris Jericho

Damien

"The British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith

"The Iceman" Dean Malenko

Diamond Dallas Page

Disco Inferno

Eddie Guerrero

El Dandy

Ernest Miller

"Commissioner" JJ Dillon

Fit Finley

Glacier

Greg Valentine

"Hardworkin'" Bobby Walker

Hector Garza

"The Laughing Man" Hugh Morris

"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan

“The Anvil” Jim Neidhart

Johnny Grunge

Juventud Guerrera

Kenny Kaos

“The Chairman of WCW” La Parka

“The Living Legend” Larry Zybysko

Lenny Lane

“The Total Package” Lex Luger

Lizmark Jr

Marty Jannetty

Meng “The Merciless”

“Mean” Mike Enos

Michael Buffer

Mortis (w/ James Vandenberg)

“Prince” Iaukea

Psychosis

Rey Mysterio Jr.

Ray Traylor

“The Nature Boy” Ric Flair

Rick Martel

Robbie Rage

Rocco Rock

The Steiner Brothers, Rick and Scott (w/ Ted Dibiase)

Roddy Piper

Silver King

Steve "Mongo" McMichael

Steven Regal

Stevie Ray

Sting

Super Calo

Super Loco

The Barbarian

The Renegade

Ultimo Dragon

Los Villanos - Villano IV, Villano V

Wayne “The Train” Bloom

Yuji Nagata (w/ Sonny Oono)

The New World Order: Hollywood Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage (w/ Elizabeth), Eric Bischoff, Curt Hennig, Buff Bagwell, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Konnan, Rick Rude, Scott Norton, Syxx-Pac, Vincent

The New World Order (Japan): The Great Muta, Masahiro Chrono, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Fake Sting

The Nitro Girls: Kimberly, Tayo, Chae, Spice, Fyre, AC Jazz

Raven’s Nest (The Flock): Raven, Kidman, Perry Saturn, Scotty Riggs, Van Hammer, Sick Boy, Lodi

Other:

Tag-Teams: The Outsiders, Destruction Crew, Los Villanos, Public Enemy, High Voltage, The Powers of Pain, The Faces of Fear, Lex Luger & The Giant, The Blue Bloods, The Steiner Brothers, Vicious & Delirious, Harlem Heat, Disorderly Conduct

Backstage Staff: "Double A" Arn Anderson, Bob Ryder, Gene Okerlund, Dusty Rhodes, Mike Tenay, Tony Schiavone, Kevin Sullivan

Referees: Billy Silverman, Mickey Jay, Charles Robinson, Randy Anderson, Scott Dickenson, Nick Patrick

The Power Plant: Barry Darsow, Buddy Lee Parker, David Flair, Ed Leslie, Horace Hogan, Jerry Flynn, John Nord, Madusa, Norman Smiley, Reno

Injured List: Alex Wright, Michael Wallstreet, Syxx-Pac, Wrath

I'm glad to see this back. I liked the concept but i wasn't a fan of your booking. That said it never really had a chance to take off.

Good luck with it.

user posted image

WCW Magazine, January 1998

WCW is riding high once again, but not by much, with the December 29th Nitro beating WWF Raw in the ratings. WCW recieved 869,679 viewers for WCW Monday Nitro (increase of 81,046 viewers from previous show); WWF recieved 807,601 viewers for WWF Monday RAW (increase of 3,181 viewers from previous show).

The highlight was the Starrcade 1997 rematch from the previous night.  The main event ended in a disqualification when the nWo rushed the ring.  However, despite Hogan's stalled attempt at regaining the title, live on Nitro, Hogan claimed that Bret Hart, the crooked Commissioner JJ Dillon, and other factors, led to his loss at Starrcade.  JJ Dillon will apparently address the issue more seriously this Thursday on WCW's brand new show THUNDER.

WCW announced today that Saturday Night and WCW Pro have been cancelled.  In their place, is a 2-hour show set to run wild on Thursday nights: Thunder.  WCW WorldWide will be moved to Saturday.  To kick off Thursday Thunder, Sting and Hollywood Hogan both will be in attendance.  They are set to collide over the STARRCADE CONTRAVERSY.  Was there a fast count by notorious ref Nick Patrick? Did Bret Hart unjustly cause Hogan to lose? Whose side is he on?  The greatest feud in WCW history continues!  What part will Bret Hart play?

Backstage Notes:

-Arthur Dexter Bradley was signed to a try-out deal and is currently working out at the Power Plant.

-Bobby Duncum Jr. was called up from the Power Plant and competed in a dark match prior to Nitro.

-Kevin Sullivan expressed his desire to return to in-ring competition, however the booking team nixed this idea.

-Scott Hall is apparently unhappy with his screen-time.

-Kevin Nash no-showed at Starrcade because he missed his flight, causing WCW to be angry with Hall and Nash both.

-Syxx is apparently unhappy about his contract and wants a new one.

WCW Titles!

WCW World: Sting (won Starrcade 97)

WCW Cruiserweight: Ultimo Dragon (won Nitro 12/29/97)

WCW Television: Booker T (won Nitro 12/29/97)

WCW United States: Diamond Dallas Page

WCW World Tag-Team: The Outsiders (won Nitro 12/22/97)

RECAP CENTRAL:

WCW Starrcade PPV Recap:

Dark Match: Bobby Duncum Jr. and Greg Valentine beat David Taylor and Steven Regal (62.9%)

Disco Inferno drew with Booker T (for the WCW TV Title) (50.6%)

Masahiro Chono beat Ultimo Dragon (78.5%)

Eddie Guerrero beat Dean Malenko (WCW Cruiserweight) (82.0%)

Randy Savage, Norton and Konnan beat S.Steiner, R.Steiner and Traylor (73.8%)

Bill Goldberg beat Steve McMichael (69.3%)

Perry Saturn beat Chris Benoit (69.1%)

Buff Bagwell beat Lex Luger (74.9%)

Diamond Dallas Page beat Curt Hennig for the WCW US Title (85.7%)

Larry Zybysko beat Eric Bischoff by DQ (35.4%)

Sting beat Hollywood Hogan for the WCW World Title (78.9%)

Edited by Nottavictim

2WRESTLING.COM results for WCW Thursday Thunder

January 01, 1998 from Texas

This was the very first Thursday Thunder, broadcast from Texas, with hosts Mike Tenay and Dusty Rhodes. The program was hyped on Nitro a few nights ago and is to replace WCW Saturday Night and the lowly WCW Pro, on a weekly basis.

Dark Match: Super Calo d. Arthur Dexter Bradley

There was one dark match just prior to Thunder. Fans informed me that it featured Super Calo, the masked luchadore that often wears sunglasses, versus the new rookie from California, Arthur Dexter Bradley. From second hand information, I can tell you that ADB apparently matched up well with Super Calo, due to their similar size. The way he is described, ADB seems like a more athletic, younger version of Scotty Anton (Riggs) or a more aerial Curt Hennig. He played the heel here and jobbed for the veteran.

(8.2/78.3/30.4)

Thunder opened with its slick, blue logo blazing into focus on the screen while electric guitar music ramped up in conjunction. The picture faded to the garage area, where a series of white limosuines were pulling up. Two of them stopped, allowing the members of the New World Order to exit, led by Hollywood Hogan. He didn’t look happy, but chatted amongst the members, especially with Scott Hall and Vincent. Kevin Nash was absent. Rick Rude was wearing a suit. Scott Norton patted Hogan on the back and looked to back him up as they confidently entered the arena to take care of business.

(79.9)

Ernest Miller vs Konnan

The scene shifted to the ring as Mike Tenay welcomed all viewers to Thunder. Ernest Miller was out first, to some standard music. He did a bit of a strut down the ramp, put on his best babyface smile and high-fived some fans before entering the ring. He was wearing a San Antonio Spurs jersey, which he wrestled in. Konnan came out last to a bit more fanfare, including the nWo theme music. He stared down Miller on the outside, then removed his red bandana and pointed at him, yelling some insults. Scott Norton came out from the back and jogged down to ringside. Miller pointed this out to referee Charles Robinson, who walked to the ropes to look accusively at both men on the outside.

Konnan finally climbed into the ring after a few more moments and the bell was rung. Konnan locked up with Miller, then backed him into the turnbuckle. Robinson walked over and called for a clean break and Konnan looked at first like he would ablidge, but then kicked Miller in the gut. Miller doubled over, stumbling from the corner and was hit with a follow up forearm to the back. Miller crumpled to the ground and Konnan put the boots to him. Konnan bounced off the ropes and flattened him across the neck with a legdrop. Miller helped himself up, then ducked a clothesline as he was irish whipped off the ropes. Miller kicked Konnan and then hit a twisting neckbreaker. Miller got up, pulled off his jersey and threw it down, as if he meant business. The crowd responded to this slightly. Miller tried to throw Konnan into the corner, but it was reversed. Konnan splashed Miller, hit a few standard suplexes, then hit a wobbling looking clothesline from the top turnbuckle. Konnan covered for the 1-2. Miller kicked out. Konnan slapped on a leglock variation, but Miller got to the ropes. They traded punches until Konnan regained the advantage again. After a few more moments, Konnan caught miller with the 187 for the 1-2-3.

Result - Konnan wins by pin (52.6/64.4/54.9)

After we returned from commercial, we were shown some clips of Monday Nitro. The announcers reviewed some of the action and focused on Bret Hart’s comments. His interview from Nitro was shown.

Replay of Bret Hart’s speech on Nitro

Bret Hart was standing in the ring with Gene Okerlund as the interview began. The crowd was restless, alternating between cheering for Hart and chanting for him.

Okerlund began by saying, “Bret Hart, you’ve been a man of very few words as of late. And up until Starrcade, none of us and none these fans were sure just where you stood in the great scheme of things. Those men in the back, the New World Order, even went so far as to claim you were their next member of their group. How do you respond?”

Okerlund held up the mic for Hart, who looked pensive for a moment, then said, “When I came into WCW, Gene, I stood back and watched. I stood back and watched who the movers and shakers were here in WCW, who worked their butt off, who hogged all the spotlight and who was lost in the shuffle. So let me tell you something about the New World Order—“

The crowd began to boo at the mention of the nWo and chanted “They Suck.”

Hart commented, “Yeah, that’s right. They DO suck. There’s no bigger ego than Hollywood Hogan and there’s no bigger group of misfit lowlifes than the New World Order. But I’m not out here just to bash them. I’m out here for one reason only. And that’s to make sure things like what almost happened at Starrcade don’t happen. I know what it’s like to be screwed over and Sting was going to get screwed over. The fans were going to get screwed over by yet another nWo main event skewed in their favor. They had their posse ready to jump, they had their crooked referee and they had beatdowns for the past month. I came to the ring to make sure the real man won, not the cheats. Some people have said I should have just stayed in the back and minded my own business, but that’s not me. Not anymore. And I’ll promise you this, New World Order---I’m looking forward to working with men like Booker T, Chris Benoit and Diamond Dallas, not you. Because when you’re the excellence of execution Bret Hart, the best in the business, you only work with the best and from what I’ve seen, that isnt anyone affiliated with the nWo. So now I’ve got a whole new playing field, Gene but so help me if those men step out of line again, I’ll be there again.”

Gene nodded as Hart concluded and sent it back up to the announcers. The recap was ended.

(95.9)

JJ Dillon responded

Gene Okerlund was shown backstage as the video recap ended, alongside Commissioner JJ Dillon.

Gene raised the mic and said, “Commissioner Dillon, you’ve just heard Bret Hart’s comments on the Starrcade main event from this past month. I understand you have a response on the allegations he brought up. Quite the serious allegations, I might add.”

Dillon nodded to what Gene said and replied, “Yes, quite serious. We’re taking what Bret Hart said under advisement and right now we’re looking into these allegations. I just wanted to remind everyone in the back that the outcome of the Starrcade main event still stands. Sting is the holder of the World Championship--“ he began. The crowd popped some for that news.

Dillon added, “Nick Patrick, the referee of the main event was chosen randomly. We were not influenced by the New World Order to pick him. I know he has been involved with them in the past, but the front office was not influenced in any way to give favoritism to the nWo’s chosen referee. I cannot stress this point enough. Now despite Bret Hart’s interference, I do not think the intergrity of the match was compromised, so that’s why the decision will stand, Gene. I don’t want this contraversy to escalate, so I hope this clears things up. Thank you.”

(79.7)

Fit Finley vs Bobby Blaze

First out for this match was Bobby Blaze, who has been a cruiserweight competitor in the past. He wore some standard red and yellow trunks, giving the crowd a few smirks as he entered. He climbed the turnbuckle and pointed at himself, obviously thinking a lot of himself. He dropped down as Fit Finley came out. Finley walked down the ramp sternly, without much emotion, entering the ring with unspoken intensity. Blaze shoved him. Finley dropped him with a single, hard right hand!

Finley picked him up and put him in a hammerlock, wrenching the neck of Bobby Blaze. Blaze struggled and whined like a good heel, then struggled some more, until he was able to hook his leg on the ropes to break the hold. Finley pushed him away in retribution for earlier treatment. Blaze and Finley traded right hands. Blaze caught the larger Finley with a kick to the knee. Blaze bounced off the ropes and dropkicked the knee and Finley had to hold the ropes to stay upright. Blaze clotheslined him from the ring with a show of strength that hadnt been present before. Blaze reared back and weakly plancha’d over the ropes, in an attempt to land on Finley, but missed and hit the ground as his target stepped aside. Finley whipped Blaze into the guardrail and kicked him down on the outside.

Finley threw his opponent back into the ring, then hit a T-bone suplex that looked very crisp. Finley used a series of amateur ground manuevers and controlled the match for several moments. Blaze raked the eyes to regain some semblance of control, but Finley ducked a clothesline and delivered a neckbreaker. Finley controlled the match for several more moments, until he used a good looking Fujiwara armbar to get the submission. The crowd cheered the most for the end, as well as the clean moves.

Result – Fit Finley wins by submission (38.4/78.6/52.9)

A Little Survey

After another commercial, the New World Order music ramped up in the arena and it was once again time to hear from them. This time, Scott Hall came out by himself, looking as cocky as usual. He wiggled his fingers mockingly at the camera, just before sliding into the ring. He posed for a moment and made sure everyone noticed his tag-team belt, then demanded a mic from an unseen worker on the outside. The crowd boo’d him noisily, but there were also some mixed cheers.

After getting the mic, Hall said, “Hey yo, me and the guys were talkin’ in the back and we gotsta know something. So we jus’ wanna take a lil’ survey, we gotsta know: did all you people here in Austin, Texas come to see dubba cee dubya?” he said mockily, holding out the mic as if to catch the mild cheers.

“Or—OR, did you come to see the N….W…O?” he asked. The crowd boo’d wildly, but still chanted along with Hall as he said the letters slowly. Hall smirked a little and paused a moment, looking around.

“Well, chalk one more up for the good guys,” he stated. The camera panned the crowd until Hall began again, “Seeing how everybody knows how sweet the nWo is—seeing how everybody knows how sweet Big Daddy Sexy Kevin Nash is, you’d think, ya know you’d think, he wouldn’t get any flak for takin’ Starrcade off. Ya know, it's just one night off. But no. Some people, ya know---some people like The Giant, gotta take their aggressions out on us when they don’t get the match that they want, right when they want it. So this dumb, slow movin’…lummocks…comes out when I’m tellin’ people my boy aint gonna be at Starrcade and chokeslams me, okay? I mean, this guy’s slower and dumber than The Living Has-Been Larry Zybysko.

Okay guy. Not cool. So since the nWo is the people’s choice, the blue collar, workin’ man’s champs, I think we deserve an apology from the Giant for interruptin’ our night off. How would you people all like it if the Jolly Green Giant came on out and chokeslammed you while you were lounging at the Bahamas? Huh? You wouldn’t. Right. So somebody tell The Giant to take a few minutes to get to his feet and come on out here. Yeah, come on, Giant. While we’re waiting, maybe Larry The Loser would like to take this opportunity to back out of our match at Souled Out.”

Larry Zybysko gets out of his announcer chair and starts walking to the ring. He’s had just about enough of these comments day in and day out that Hall has made and looks ready to fight. He stops short of the ring.

“Yeah, come on, big man. Yeah, you think you’re so smart? There ain’t no way you’re facing me at Souled Out, old man. If you do, you’re gonna be in even more retirement than you already are. Why dont you go back to your chair, yah old dinosaur. Why you wanna fight me so bad anyway, huh? You aint got no sense of humor,” Hall said and laughed some. Zybysko stared him down.

Suddenly, The Giant came out from the back and Hall looked like he wasn’t expecting him to actually come out. The Giant stalked toward the ring and then burst into a lumbering run, climbing into the ring to attack Scott Hall. Hall backed away. Larry Zybysko joined The Giant in the ring, but Scott Hall bailed and left, blowing them off.

The Giant picked up the fallen mic, “Hey YO,” he said mockingly, “C’mon back, Hall. Come on!” he screamed, “You think you can come out here, shout a few insults and run off? There’s no way! You gonna do your fightin in the ring tonight or are you guys gonna duck me again and run? And there’s no way you’re gonna duck Larry Zybysko, either. I’ll make sure of that. It's gonna be Scott Hall versus Larry Zybysko at Souled Out! You KNOW that!”

Scott Hall opened his arms and welcomed the opportunity on the outside, but said nothing. The Giant looked at Larry Zybysko and continued, “But I cant wait to see you get your butt kicked. I think I got a good enough partner right here, so whatta ya say, Larry? If Scott Hall can scare up someone with enough courage, that is. Whatta say? Let's take em!”

The Giant handed over the mic to Zybysko, who said, “I don’t mean to rock the boat, Giant, but I’m gonna have my match with Scott Hall. I won that right. I’m gonna have my match with Scott Hall at Souled Out. Now wait, just wait, I don’t want you to get the wrong idea. I stand up for myself and that’s why I’m out here right now. And I know someone else who is just good enough to stand up for himself too. I’m sure he’ll be a perfect partner for you. Tonight!” he said.

(76)

Just as he finished, the lights went bright at the stage entrance and pyro went off. Someone was going to come out. Smoke filled the stage area. Scott Hall wheeled around and suddenly STING ran out from the backstage area. The arena went absolutely nuts as the white-faced Sting made an appearance, running down to attack Hall with much ferver. Sting pounded Hall with right hands, knocked him down, pulled him up and gave him some more against the guard rail.

The New World Order ran out to make the save, sans Hollywood Hogan and Nash, suddenly erupting the aisle into chaos. The Giant bailed from the ring in order to join the frey. Sting and The Giant fended off Scott Norton, Curt Henning, Scott Hall and several others all by themselves. The New World Order stared down the two men as the officials finally were able to restore some order. Hall had to be helped to the back.

(79)

Silver King and La Parka vs Psychosis and Super Loco

Psychosis and Super Loco waited in the ring for La Parka and Silver King because La Parka has a better entrance. You can’t deny it. La Parka struted to the ring, played air-guitar on his steel chair and took his sweet time getting to the ring. Psychosis had enough and attacked, pulling La Parka in and putting the boots to him. Psychosis bounded off the ropes and splashed him on the canvas for a 1-2. La Parka was hauled up and hauled to the enemy corner, where Psychosis tagged in Loco. Loco punched Parka in the gut, then delivered a stiff dropkick, sending him to the mat. Cover for the 1-2. Loco picked up the speed, hitting another dropkick, then another, as well as a ground move in quick succession. La Parka fought out of a headlock and then pushed Loco into the turnbuckle, catching him head-first.

La Parka hit the hot-tag to Silver King and he cleaned house. King traded punches with Loco, then came back with a lightning kick off the ropes. King climbed to the top and head a head-scissors takedown for a stunningly close 1-2. King stood up Loco and readied him for a savate kick, but Loco ducked it and hit a swinging DDT out of the corner. Both men were down.

The hot tag was to both men! La Parka and Psychosis traded punches and kicks. La Parka went low, doubling over Pyschosis. La Parka bounded off the ropes, rolled over Psychosis’s back and faceplanted him on the mat. Cover for the 1-2. Psychosis turned the momentum a few moments later when La Parka blind charged into the corner. Pyschosis hit an inverted DDT, then climbed to the top rope and hit a moonsault for the 1-2-3.

Result - Psychosis and Super Loco win (37.5/74.8/51.4)

Hogan interview

Gene Okerlund raises the mic and says, “Hollywood Hogan, earlier we heard from Commissioner JJ Dillon and heard his ruling. I suppose you have some sort of response.”

Hogan smiles in an arrogant fashion, then said into the mic, “You know what Mean Gene, some crooked Commissioner’s ruling isnt gonna keep me quiet, brother. If he isnt gonna look at the footage, then I’m gonna come out here and say my peace, because it’s about time somebody said something about what’s goin down around here. Now Nick Patrick, he called it right down the middle, brother—and I don’t think that’s something Bret Hart realizes. So if anyone was cheated, it’s me, not Sting. Not Bret Hart. Me. And let me tell you something else. There’s only two ways I can see this thing being resolved, my man. Number One, I get a rematch at Souled Out—at nWo Souled Out, Sting versus Hollywood Hogan for the WCW World Title with Bret Hart barred from ringside. Or two—or two, the second choice is: we make you guys give me the rematch. So what’s it gonna be, JJ Dillon? You know, I got a suggestion for you, brother: You better make the right choice. Open your eyes, watch the footage and then you’ll see what’s really goin’ on around here. Maybe that’s what we’ll do Monday, huh? I think you’d be pretty embarrassed if that footage showed that you guys were runnin a ship one sailor short, brother. You dont screw around with the biggest icon in wrestling, brother."

(95.9)

Steven Regal vs Bobby Duncum Jr.

This short match was probably cut because of the length of Hogan’s interview. Anyway, a few moments in it was clear Regal had charge of the match. Regal scored with an old-school knee-drop, then pulled him up and hit a russian leg-sweep. Regal worked Duncum’s legs as he locked in a series of submissions that Duncum sold. Perhaps not well enough, because after a few moments, Duncum was up again and suplexed Regal. Duncum pounded some fists into Regal’s forehead.

The tide turned again when Duncum made a mistake, allowing Regal a clean break from the corner. Regal took advantage of the good behavior and hit an uppercut then poked the eye for good measure. Regal smiled with arrogant glee at what he had done to cheapshot his opponent. Regal tripped up Duncum with a drop toe hold as he tried to recover, sending Duncum face first to the match. Regal locked in an STF and Duncum submitted.

Result - Steven Regal wins by submission (56.9/66.6/63.7)

Bischoff agreed to the match

Eric Bischoff came out onto the stage and smiled arrogantly, “I just wanted to come out—you know, as spokesman for the most popular organization in professional wrestling—to let you all know that Scott Hall is fine. Yeah, he wasn’t injured by Sting or a man that probably weighs twice as much as him. I’m sure he wouldn’t want to disappoint the fans. The kids, you know. They love Scott. So he’s ready to compete and he’s found a partner to compete with, let me tell you that too: KEVIN NASH. So tonight, Sting and The Giant, the New World Order accept your challenge. And to show we’re serious, The Outsiders are putting the belts on the line!”

(60)

Ric Flair came to the ring

We cut away to the announcers talking about this revelation for a moment, until Ric Flair’s well-known music ramped up in the arena. Zarathustra heralded in Flair himself, in his latest, studded and sparkling robe. Flair walked to the ring slowly, turning for a moment, as if to show off and then smiled at the camera in a slight show of arrogant pride in his appearance on the show.

Flair reached the ring and took a mic. He smiled a little and took his time, saying, “Seems like every-body has a piece to say tonight. Seems like every—body, including the Nature Boy, has a few words to say about something else. Well, I don’t deny it, because I was in the back and something struck me as odd. Bret Hart walks on out here like he owns the place and calls himself The Man when he hasn’t beaten anybody. Not anybody I respect, anyway. Nobody. He comes out here, puts on a fake smile and says he wants to work with the best in the business. This guy says he wants to work with Chris Benoit, Booker T and Diamond Dallas. That’s a pretty short list Bret Hart. Where’s the Nature Boy on that little list of yours, huh? Huh? It should be at the top, my man! Woo!!! On the very top!” he said loudly.

Flair continued, with more energy, adding, “Bret Hart! You got a lotta nerve!! You got a lotta nerve comin in here thinkin you’re the best, calling people out like you’re somebody and thinkin you’re a lot more damned important than everybody else. Well, deflate that ego a minute, wise guy. Obviously you havent heard the Nature Boy’s old addage: To be The Man, you gotta beat the Man! Woo! And I’m the man, baby! Woo! So when you get serious about bein somebody in this company, you come see me first. Not anyone else. You come see me: The Man.”

(96.1)

Perry Saturn vs Dean Malenko

This was easily the most into a match the crowd had been since the opener. Dean Malenko stared daggers into Perry Saturn as he entered the ring, but they went nose to nose until Saturn pushed him away and finally broke the tension. Saturn threw a punch, but Malenko ducked it and was tripped up by a drop toe hold. Malenko tried to lock in the Crossface, Chris Benoit’s move! The announcers speculated if this was a show of support for Chris Benoit and his fight against The Flock.

Malenko couldn’t lock it in and Saturn reached the ropes. Malenko was caught in the gut with a kick and Saturn took control, showing his power. Saturn hit a double-underhook powerbomb, then tried an inverted hook of the legs for a 1-2, but Malenko tested his strength and bridged out. Malenko twisted behind Saturn and hit a belly to back suplex on Saturn. Malenko couldn’t seem to keep Saturn down though and another submission was broken.

Saturn got nailed with an unexpected right hand, then a clothesline. Saturn went to the top and hit a shoulder tackle for a close 1-2. Saturn blasted Malenko was right hands into the corner, then picked him up and backdropped him from the turnbuckle. Saturn covered for another 1-2 and was now frustrated. Saturn hit a backbreaker, then followed up by dropped a knee to the neck. He covered but only got a 1-2. Malenko got up slowly, then ducked another clothesline attempt and tried to lock in the Crossface once again! He locked it in! Saturn looked ready to tap but suddenly The Flock ran out to the ringside. Scotty Riggs climbed up on the apron and pointed some threats toward Malenko. Dean got up and knocked him off! Saturn exited the ring and swore off Malenko, getting counted out on purpose.

Result – Dean Malenko by Count Out (70/73.5/72.1)

Raven shoved Saturn and said a few words to him. Saturn only shook his head. After a moment of consolidating themselves, The Flock rushed the ring and decided to attack Malenko en masse. Raven DDT’d Malenko. Suddenly, CHRIS BENOIT came out from backstage and attacked The Flock, throwing out the members one by one as he made the save for the fallen Malenko. Raven bailed from the ring.

Raven shouted some insults, then grabbed a mic, saying, “You’re in for a lot more pain, Chris Benoit. You’re in for a lot more than we delivered to your friend here tonight. The dark forces are closing in and they’re going to corner you sooner than you think! Quoth the Raven, NEVERMORE!”

(69.1)

Booker T wins TV Title replay

Some clips of Booker T’s upset win over Disco Inferno on Nitro were shown. Booker T was shown holding up the TV Title and celebrating the win. RAISE THE ROOF!

(34.8)

Goldberg stands over the fallen

We were quickly taken to the back, where a fallen Steve McMichael was laying on the concrete of the parking lot area, being attended to by medics. Bill Goldberg was standing nearby looking stoic, having apparently been involved in some way. The camera closed in on his hard, angry face and unwavering features. Only a twitch betrayed his cool, intense exterior. Bill Goldberg turned to leave but backstage worker Arn Anderson tried to stop him, in order to ask him what happened. Goldberg brushed past him and walked on without explanation. Arn frowned in confusion. The medics attended to McMichael and loaded him onto a stretcher. Goldberg just took out a former member of the Four Horsemen!!

(66.6)

Sting & The Giant vs Scott Hall & Kevin Nash (for the WCW World Tag-Team Titles)

The Outsiders were introduced first and came out to their overbearing introduction, with the New World Order theme music blaring through the loud speakers. Kevin Nash finally made his presence known for the first time tonight but didn’t look very happy to be there. He stepped into the ring, leaned against the ropes and waited. Hall looked at Nick Patrick, the referee and pointed at him, saying a few unheard words as something was made sure of.

The Giant and Sting were introduced separately, with Sting coming out last. He ran to the ring with much energetic anger, sliding into the ring as if wanting to attack someone. The Outsiders bailed from the ring, allowing Sting to stand in the middle of the ring stoically, in control of it all. He shrugged off his black trenchcoat and readied himself. Hall continued his antics on the outside, looking mock-scared and tentatively returning to the ring with Nash.

Sting looked like he was going to start against Hall, but The Giant reached out his big hand and wanted in. He wanted Hall. Sting slapped his hand hard and The Giant came in. Hall begged off, then struck The Giant with a right hand but it didn’t stagger the big man. Hall was grabbed and thrown across the ring, crashing down hard. The Giant knelt down and choked Hall. Hall flailed away until the ref broke the hold. Nash made a move like he was going to step in and Randy Anderson stepped over to stop him, allowing Hall to score a low-blow on The Giant. The crowd boo’d a great deal when they saw that. The Giant doubled-over as much as a big man his size can double over and groaned in pain. Hall worked the leg now, bouncing off the ropes several times until he had the big man down. Hall tagged in Nash. Nash grabbed the leg of The Giant and elbow-dropped it twice, then put the boots to The Giant.

The match continued for several minutes with Nash in the ring working over The Giant on the ground, then propped up in the corner. Nash methodically slowed the match to a crawl and The Giant sold everything as much as he could, until the announcers speculated if he would ever be getting up. Nash finally got sloppy and missed an avalanche attempt. The Giant reared up to his feet with all his strength and slammed a few forearms to stagger Nash. He grabbed Nash by the neck and signalled for the chokeslam! He was going for it! Hall entered however and made the save, driving The Giant down to the mat again. Nash collapsed and went for the tag.

The Giant hit the hot tag to Sting, lurching to the ropes to do so! Sting cleaned house, knocking down Hall, knocking down Nash, then whipping Hall into the corner. Stinger splash on Hall! A second Stinger splash on Hall! Hall collapsed like a sack of potatos, doing his best Ric Flair flop imitation. Sting grabbed the legs and looked to be going for the Scorpion Deathlock, but suddenly the New World Order rushed down to the ring en masse. Scott Norton and Vincent rushed Sting, but both were tossed out. Buff Bagwell and Curt Hennig waited a moment, then the numbers game seemed to be overpowering the fist-flailing Sting. The Giant tried to get up, but Nash and several others put the boots to him. Hollywood Hogan directed traffic. Bagwell DDT’d Sting. The bell rang furiously and the announcer made it clear that there had been a DQ.

Result – Sting and The Giant by DQ (80.4/58/78.9)

Randy Savage climbed to the top and signalled for the big elbow on Sting! Suddenly, Lex Luger ran down and entered the fray, knocking Savage from the turnbuckle to the floor. Luger cleaned house and made the save. Hogan bailed from the ring and saved himself in cowardly fashion, instead going over to help Savage. Savage went nuts! He pointed up and yelled at Luger. He wanted back in the ring! Bagwell and Hogan held him back as the show faded out.

62.3 Overall

8,184 reported attendance

561,239 viewers for WCW Thunder

Edited by Nottavictim

2WRESTLING.COM WCW Monday Night Preview

WCW Monday Nitro will be broadcast live this January 5th, 1998 and will undoubtedly continue to focus on the Starrcade Contraversy.  On the inaugural Thunder, Bret Hart claimed that the nWo used some less than honorable tactics in order to try to win one over on Sting, but Hogan claimed the opposite.  JJ Dillon came out in support of his new champion, but will the locker room divide over a tainted championship match?

WCW issued an update on the condition of Steve McMichael today, saying in a statement that McMichael had been hospitalized for one day for a concussion.  Implicated in the incident is Bill Goldberg, who was found near the fallen McMichael.  But will Goldberg explain himself? Stay tuned.

Chris Benoit's feud with Raven seems to be heating up.  Raven all but came out and challenged Benoit for a match at Souled Out at the end of the month.  Look for the Flock to continue to get involved.  Dean Malenko is also another added element, as he showed that he does indeed choose sides, choosing to show subtle support for Benoit.

During the main even of Thunder, the nWo interrupted the match and caused a DQ.  However, Lex Luger made the save by knocking Randy Savage from the turnbuckle, making sure Sting was safe from further harm.  Savage blew up and became insensed.  WCW has booked this main event with that incident in mind.  The sparks should fly!

WCW WorldWide 1/3/98

from Illinois - 5,590 ticket sales

Bobby Duncum Jr. beat Brian Adams (47.5%)

Scott Norton beat Marty Jannetty (43.8%)

Kidman and Reese beat Jim Powers and Bobby Eaton (53.5%)

Interview with Diamond Dallas Page (78.2%)

Ultimo Dragon beat Yuji Negata (60.8%)

Nitro 1/5/98 - Matches already on card:

Bret Hart appearance!

Bill Goldberg vs. Greg Valentine

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Buff Bagwell

Booker T vs. "Gentleman" Chris Adams for the TV Title

Lex Luger vs Randy Savage

Hulk Hogan reveals Starrcade Contraversy footage

Backstage Notes

-Syxx has reported to friends that he has regotiated a contract to his liking.

-Bobby Duncum Jr has said that his knee is acting up on him.

-Eddie Guerrero apparently voiced concern over his role in the company yet again.

Thunder was good the matches were exactly like WCW would put on a Thunder, The Flair interview was well done in my view and I'm looking forward for a confrontation between him and Bret Hart. I also liked Scott Hall's interview, You captured Hall well.

Don't know bout McMichael/Goldberg since that feud sucked back then, Souled Out looks like it could be a great event too, Hopefully you have Hogan/Sting at Souled Out and have Scott Hall/Sting at Superbrawl VIII since Hall did win World War 3.

Anyways good work thus far and I'll make sure to check out Monday Nitro.

2WRESTLING.COM RESULTS - WCW Monday Nitro

January 5th, 1998

Nitro is live in Pennsylvania, USA! The exploding Nitro logo faded to the arena, where hosts Tony Schiavone and Larry Zybysko welcomed the TV audience to the show. They ran down the show and immediately went to the ring where referee Mickey Jay was standing between two workers who looked ready to fight, Disco Inferno and “Hard Workin’” Bobby Walker.

Disco Inferno vs. Bobby Walker

Disco stepped back from Walker, smiled, then did his little disco dance and looked mighty arrogant. Walker charged past the ref and attacked, pounding forearms down onto the back of Disco Inferno. The bell rang and the match started.

Disco lurched around the ring as he tried to run from Walker, then backed into the corner and called for a clean break. Walker stepped back in a trustful way and was repaid with a kick to the gut. Disco walked next to him and hit a russian legsweep, then dropped an elbow to Walker’s forehead. Walker tried to fight out of a headlock, then shoved Disco off into the ropes. Disco bounced back and hit a running forearm, knocking down Walker.

Disco went to the top rope, but spent too much time dancing and posing than wrestling. Walker took advantage and flipped him from the turnbuckle down onto his back in a noisy fashion. Disco writhed in pain. Walker put the boots to him, then hauled up Disco and hit a suplex. Walker covered for the 1-2. Disco traded ground moves with Walker until Disco implant DDT’d him in sudden fashion. Disco went to the top rope, hit a flying crossbody while Walker was staggering to his feet then covered for the 1-2-3.

Result – Disco Inferno (49.1/73.8/60)

Next we were taken directly to a WCW commercial for Souled Out 1998, sponsored by the New World Order. Some of the members posed arrogantly in front of the Souled Out logo.

The new Souled Out logo for this year was unveiled:

user posted image

After the commercial, the camera showed Eric Bischoff walking up the hallway, with a casual smile on his face. He shook the hands of some nameless backstage workers. He then walked away. Why was he walking? Where was he going? We'll never know. Another classic WCW walking segment.

Rick Martel vs Hugh Morris

This was Rick Martel’s debut match in WCW and it wasn’t a very good one. I think that this was because of two reasons: Hugh Morris was out of shape and the crowd was unfamiliar with Martel. Luckily, the match was slanted in Martel’s favor so that the crowd could see what he was all about sooner rather than later. Martel looked in great shape and if there was any reaction, it would be for the arrogant attitude he put on during the match. He acted like he was the second coming of Rick Rude or something.

Martel grounded Morris with a series of combinations that he seemed to be proficient at, such as a suplex, then a leglock or a couple of ground moves plus a top rope move. Morris did have some offense, a few minutes in, when he surprised Martel with a hard right hand to the mouth that staggered him. Martel checked his mouth for blood, then charged, but Morris seemed to expect this and grabbed him, hitting a belly to belly suplex.

Thankfully, Martel was done showing off his abs and now wrestled with more energy and commitment. Martel locked in a Texas Cloverleaf and didn’t break for several moments, even after Morris reached the ropes. As Morris tried to just get to his feet, Martel kicked Morris’s legs out from under him and then laughed in a vicious, cocky fashion. Martel hit a snap neckbreaker, then a clothesline from the top. In the middle of the mat, Martel locked in his pattened Boston Crab variation and Morris submitted.

Result – Rick Martel by submission (47.8/69.8/47.5)

Promises, promises

Next we were taken backstage and shown the nWo dressing room. Scott Hall had his feet up while Hollywood Hogan was pacing, talking to the others. Eric Bischoff came into the room.

Eric Bischoff walked over to Hogan and patted him on the back, “Don’t worry, big man. It’s all taken care of. I talked to JJ Dillon and this thing is gonna get smoothed out. There’s gonna be another announcement tonight. Believe me, you just have to be patient.”

Hollywood Hogan removed his sunglasses and glanced at Bischoff, wondering if he trusted him. Hogan then smiled and laughed, patting Bischoff on the shoulder in return. Hogan looked around at Buff Bagwell, Curt Hennig, Vincent and some of the others, radiating confidence that things were under control.

(70.3)

Hart responded to Flair

Bret Hart’s traditional music ramped up in the arena and he came out to an excellent reaction. He had a leather jacket on that said HITMAN on the back. It was still early in the show.

Bret Hart took a mic and leaned on the ropes in a casual fashion, “You know, last week when I opened my mouth and tried to address a few serious issues here in WCW, I guess I should have figured that some people would come out of the woodwork sniping at me. Last week, I meant what I said. I do have some people I want to work with and some people that I don’t. That’s just how I feel. Now I didn’t come along and specifically say Ric Flair, but I’m not gonna apologize for not mentioning him. Lemme tell you something Flair, don’t pick apart what I said last week and use it for some ego-driven monologue. I’m not gonna stand here and be used as a springboard for your self-promoting bullcrap.”

“But let me tell you something else, Ric Flair. Maybe I forgot to include you in my comments because you’re NOT the Man after all. You may be the franchise player and I may be new here in WCW, but that doesn’t make you any better than me. But if you want to dispute the best there is, best there was and the best there ever will be, go right ahead—“ he began, then Ric Flair’s music came over the loudspeakers.

Ric Flair stepped out onto the stage, “Bret Hart!” he yelled loudly, “I don’t think I like your attitude, punk. You may be younger, with your long hair and your stupid leather jacket, but you keep on goin the way you’re goin boy, you’re crusin for a bruisin from the all-time hippest, slickest, Man of All-Time! Woo! So why don’t you cut through the crap you’re spewing from that ring and get to the point: Ric Flair is just simply better than you. I’ll tell it like it is! Oh yeah! I’m the Man and have been the man for years, battling men and ring warriors that you could only dream about working with. You got a list of people you want to work with? Well I got a list longer than my arm of legends who have stood face to face with me in that ring. And I’ve beat them all! Woo! Oh yeah, that’s right.”

The crowd seemed to pop for that comment, but it only made Hart smirk, “So why don’t you try to add me to that list, huh? You think you can beat me, well come on down then, Flair. I got nothin better to do tonight.”

Flair shrugged off his robe and threw it down. The crowd popped! Flair walked down the aisle toward Hart, but then Hart jumped from the ring and confronted him in the aisle. The two men got nose to nose in a heated encounter. Suddenly, officials spewed from the back and separated the two men.

(84.3)

Bill Goldberg vs. Greg Valentine

Greg Valentine came out with friend Davey Boy Smith to a series of fireworks and music, but not as much reaction as one would expect. Smith wore a British flag like a cape, then when the duo got in the ring, hefted it up and showed the crowd. Valentine climbed the turnbuckle and stared out at the crowd with a subtle intensity on his face.

Some dark, pounding music erupted from the speakers as Bill Goldberg was introduced. He walked out of the backstage area with a brutish look that would kill. Goldberg entered the ring and Valentine offered a handshake as Smith looked on. Goldberg only stood there, staring down Valentine. Valentine stepped closer and exchanged words with Goldberg, offering the handshake again. Goldberg slapped it away, then attacked like a man possessed. He delivered a knee to Valentine and threw him down hard. Goldberg then punched Davey Boy Smith and threw him from the ring. Valentine was back up and threw some forearms into Goldberg, working the back. Goldberg threw some wild punches in return, but Valentine ducked them. Valentine then tried to suplex Goldberg, but it was blocked. Goldberg suplexed Valentine in return, then delivered a stiff spear. Goldberg slapped the fallen Valentine’s head, then picked him up, delivered the jackhammer and got the 1-2-3. Valentine was tossed from the ring like garbage.

Davey Boy Smith slid in and looked ready to attack Goldberg, but received a spear for his efforts. Smith went down in a heap. Bill Goldberg kicked him in the ribs as the bell rang furiously. Goldberg continued to stomp Smith, over and over. Goldberg then picked up Smith in the jackhammer, holding him over his head in a show of strength, then slammed him down hard.

The referee stepped over to intervene, but Goldberg pushed him away. It looked as if Goldberg would jackhammer Billy Silverman too! Arn Anderson and the WCW officials suddenly ran down and pulled Smith out of the ring, getting him out of harm’s way. The crowd didn’t know how to respond but erupted in a mixed response in the mere five or six minutes that had elapsed. Anderson looked most stunned of all.

Result – Bill Goldberg by pin (57.7/60/58.9)

Bill Goldberg turned and is now a heel.

Arn threatened Goldberg

Arn Anderson let the medics do their work, then grabbed a mic and addressed Goldberg while he was still standing in the ring.

“Bill Goldberg! You know what, there’s competition, then there’s just downright abuse! You’ve already put my friend Steve McMichael in the hospital, now you’ve finished work on two more! And not to mention the attack on Steve was in the back, not in the ring. Let me tell you something, son. You better calm down and start using your head. People arent gonna stand for that, boy. They’re not gonna want to get in the ring with you and they’re not gonna want you around. Now last week I asked you for an explanation and I’m damn sure gonna get one, one way or another, for what you did to Steve McMichael. Next week, you better come to work with a better attitude or I’m gonna petition WCW to have you SUSPENDED!”

(78.5)

Buff Bagwell vs Diamond Dallas Page for the WCW US Title

Bagwell, with Vincent in tow, came to the ring and posed. Bagwell seemed to be in great spirits because he couldn’t stop smiling. Diamond Dallas Page was introduced last, with some sparkling fireworks. BANG! DDP signalled the Diamond Cutter on cue and the crowd popped. He was wearing gold: The WCW US Title.

DDP smirked at Buff Bagwell, entering the ring with confidence and strength. He shrugged off his jean jacket while Bagwell made sure to indicate that the belt would soon be his. DDP removed the belt and the match began. Bagwell and DDP traded right hands, then traded hip tosses. Bagwell begged off and the crowd popped for DDP’s show of strength. Bagwell locked up with DDP again, then Bagwell was forced back into the turnbuckle. DDP was suddenly picked up and pancaked back down onto his back. Bagwell flexed his arms in celebration, then bounced off the ropes but missed the legdrop.

DDP got up and clotheslined Bagwell down, then grabbed the arm and gave it a twist. Bagwell sold it painfully, then reversed it and twisted DDP’s arm. DDP kicked Bagwell, then tried for a suplex. Bagwell blocked it and backdropped DDP painfully to the mat. Bagwell covered for the 1-2. There was some back and forth for several more minutes until DDP was laid out with an inverted powerbomb. Cover for the 1-2.

Moments later, DDP fought out of an abdominal stretch, but was clotheslined from the ring. Now was the chance for Vincent to sneak over and put the boots to him. Seeing this, Billy Silverman rushed over to chastise him. DDP ducked a blow from Vincent and whipped him into Bagwell! The referee didn’t seem to mind that so much. Vincent staggered up, but DDP clobbered him. DDP rolled Bagwell back into the ring and then crawled toward him, making the cover. Vincent reached up and pulled the referee from the ring. The crowd boo’d incessantly. Loudly in fact.

Scott Hall now ran down to the ring and slid in, attacking and putting the boots to DDP. Hall lifted up DDP and hit the Outsider’s Edge on DDP, destroying him and leaving him laid out on the mat, decidedly unconscious. Hall then flicked his toothpick at the fallen DDP, then went outside to revive the referee. Suddenly, Larry Zybysko ran down to the ring, slid in and helped DDP cover Bagwell. Zybysko counted the 1-2-3 while Hall remained oblivous! As the bell rang, Hall looked astonished! It was all over and here he was still reviving Billy Silverman. Zybysko and Hall stared down each other.

Result – Diamond Dallas Page (74.6/51.6/72.4)

A member was thrown out

After the match, the entirety of the angered New World Order rushed toward the ring. Zybysko and DDP escaped over the guard rail as Hogan pointed over the ropes toward them. He let them go, apparently. The crowd popped as many of the group looked frustrated, but Hogan grabbed a mic and had something to say about the whole situation.

Hogan waited just a moment as the jeers died down, then said, “Lemme tell you something, I’m sick and tired of all the crap that’s been happenin’ around here lately!” he let out loudly. He turned and looked at the members of the nWo, then pointed at Scott Hall, “Scott Hall. Scott Hall, everybody’s gotta admit that you are the man. You come out here week after week brother, carrying the load. We appreciate that. I appreciate that. The fans love you, man. But apparently the front office don’t appreciate that, my man. Now, when you’re nWo, you’re nWo for life but we cant have any dead weight holdin’ us back. We just can’t, brother. We cant be comin’ out here week after week, not accomplishing anything. You know? I got things to deal with, you got things to deal with and we gotta deal with em’. Tonight, Easy E says I’m gonna get my rematch, brother.

And after I beat Sting at Souled Out and regain MY belt, yeah that’s right, MY belt, we’re gonna be entering a new era, brother. But before we get there—before we get there, I just wanna make sure we get there with the best there is. The bottom line is, Scott—I’m sorry man. I’m gonna haveta disagree with my man Easy E and trim the fat, if you know what I mean. I’m sorry, my man. I didn’t want to do it, brother.”

Hogan paused a moment while he was looking at Hall. Hall motioned to himself and in shock, tried to question Hogan. It looked like Scott Hall was getting kicked out of the New World Order!

“Alright, let’s trim the fat!” Hogan let out and suddenly. The members gathered turned and nailed Vincent, laying him out. Vincent was kicked at by Hennig, then Bagwell, then the entire nWo put the boots to him. Rick Rude hauled him up and offered him to Hall. Hall hit the Outsider’s Edge once, twice, then tossed Vincent from the ring. Hall celebrated with a few wolfpac clique signs to his fellow members, laughing along with them.

“Alright! Alright!” Hogan said while laughing, having teased the fans and everyone watching, “Good job, Scott. Good job, dude. My man, if Big Kev is the REAL Giant here in the nWo, and if I’m the King—hey, I gotta give you props--then you’re the Prince. We cant replace you and we wouldn’t want to. So next week, we’re havin’ a Scott Hall appreciation night! And you’re our guest of honor. What do you think about that, brother?”

“Whoa! Hey yo, that sounds good. I think I like that,” Hall said, “Man you guys!” he chuckled, “You really had me goin! Haha! Vincent man, sorry. You blew the save so--So long, don’t let the door hit yah, if you know what I mean. Man, you’re right Hollywood, if you ain’t elite, you can’t compete. In the N….W….O that is. Sucker.”

(63.6)

Silver King and Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Kidman and Van Hammer

Mike Tenay joined the announce team for this match. I guess Larry and Tony couldn’t describe a quebrada or plancha. But Tenay did do a good job describing the cruiserweight competitors that were included here. Silver King was the mexican star in the red tights, alongside the well-known Rey Mysterio. Kidman was in his goth gear and dandgling blackened hair. The tall, brutish Van Hammer looked out of place against all the young guys. He stood back in a relaxed fashion and let Kidman start the match.

Kidman paced the ring while Silver King waited to lock up with him. Kidman brooded and eyed King, then faked a lock up, grabbed the arm and gave it a twist. King jumped, turned and flipped in reverse of the simple arm twist. Kidman cried out in pain, then propelled himself off the second rope moments later, adding strength to a hip toss to flick King away. Kidman put the boots to King in traditional fashion, then hit a flying crossbody off the ropes for a 1-2.

A few moments later, King was able to reverse another arm twist and into a hammerlock. King then just simply crumpled Kidman with an inverted DDT. He raised his hand and tagged in Mysterio in a tired fashion. If there was energy to the match before, with Mysterio in, it just doubled. Kidman started to get up, but Mysterio bounced off the ropes, leapfrogged him and then bounced off the opposite ropes to hit a flying forearm. Mysterio rolled him up for the 1-2.

After a series of ground reverses and then a head-scissors take-down by Mysterio, it looked over. Mysterio went to the top and was ready to moonsault splash Kidman, but suddenly Van Hammer moved over, shook the ropes and Mysterio fell. Kidman was then able to make the tag while Charles Robinson chastised the Flock. Van Hammer pounded a mudhole into the smaller Mysterio, then hung him in the Tree of Woe and baseball slided his feet into Mysterio’s face. Van Hammer picked him up over his shoulder and slammed him hard to the mat. Silver King broke the pin, but got tossed over the ropes for his effort. Van Hammer hit his pattened Cobra Clutch Slam for the 1-2-3. Van Hammer refused to have his hand raised and angerly exited the ring with Kidman.

Result – The Flock (Kidman & Van Hammer) (50/65.3/56.8)

Dillon addressed the situation

When the show came back from commercial, JJ Dillon was shown in the ring with Bobby Heenan. The Brain had the mic and got some cheers from the crowd as he interviewed the Commish.

The Brain held up the mic, “Okay, Mister Commish, on Thunder you said you were taking ‘under advisement’ all these comments on the contraversy surrounding the Starrcade main event. Alright, so what’s that really mean? C’mon,” he said matter of factily.

JJ Dillon nodded solemnly and then replied, “The WCW Executive Booking Committee are doing just that, Brain. ‘Taking things under advisement’. Now, I’ve had a chat with Eric Bischoff and I’ve assured him that Hollywood Hogan will be treated fairly. Everyone will be treated fairly according to WCW policy. Despite his pleas and the accusations being thrown around, we’re just not ready to make a decision, for Souled Out or otherwise. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves talking about number one contenders or who /should/ be holding the belt. I think things will get resolved if we can just be a little bit more patient.”

The Brain glanced at the crowd as they actually boo’d Dillon, “Alright, no decision, huh? You can hear these fans. This thing is beginning to become a cloud over WCW. What do you have to say about /that/?”

Dillon shook his head in a frustrated way, “Listen, I realize that there’s a difference of opinion over the finish to the Sting versus Hogan match from Starrcade. We on the executive committee realize this, but we’re not going to let the New World Order dictate policy for us. They can make all the demands they want, it’s not going to make us decide things any faster. I want to preserve the impartiality of these proceedings, so we can make a decision without bias. So to accomplish this, I am banning the New World Order or any group, including WCW, from showing footage from the Starrcade main event.”

The Brain looked confused, “You’re banning the footage from being shown? Here on Nitro?” he asked. The crowd boo’d again.

Dillon glanced at Brain in an annoyed fashion, “Listen, we’re not going to let whatever footage the nWo has---we’re not going to let that be used as a propaganda tool. They can say we’re trying to hide something, but that’s not the case at all. So all Starrcade main event footage is hereby banned, alright? So let’s—“ he said, then was cut off.

(76)

Eric Bischoff walked out onto the stage and looked angry. He had his baseball cap on backwards in an attempt to look casual. He raised the mic and yelled at Dillon, “You know what, Dillon? All you and WCW do is flap your lip, every time, all the time. This is a bunch of lip service. That footage will be shown sometime and then you will all see the REAL screwjob, which is the Bret Hart screw-job of Hollywood Hogan. That’s who interfered in the match, Dillon, not us. So next week on Nitro, you better make a REAL decision, or heads are gonna roll. Heads are gonna roll, Dillon!”

(85.8)

Booker T vs Chris Adams for the WCW Television title

The Harlem Heat music ramped up in the arena and out came Booker T, holding of the WCW TV title. He was wearing some simple looking red trunks, but didn’t get much of a reaction for a title holder. Maybe the fans wanted to see a Harlem Heat tag match instead. “Gentleman” Chris Adams came out to the ring to some British march music and played up his arrogant role. He refused a handshake from Booker T.

They locked up in a standard way, Booker T locks in a standard headlock, then pushed Adams out, off the ropes and clotheslined him. Pretty standard. Maybe that’s what was wrong with this match. Anyway, Adams finally got in some offense when he reversed an irish whip and sent Booker T colliding into the turnbuckle. Adams summoned up the power of Ric Flair and chopped him wickedly across the chest.

Booker T charged out, but Adams hip tossed him to the mat and locked the arm. Booker T fought out, then delivered some stiff right hands. Booker T suplexed Adams to the mat, then kicked him in the gut and delivered an swinging leg to the back of the head. Booker T went to the top and hit a very nicely executed harlem hangover for the 1-2-3.

Result – Booker T won by pin (22.5/75.8/35.7)

Backstage, video footage was shown of Hollywood Hogan walking out of the nWo locker room. When Eric Bischoff tried to stop him and explain, Hogan brushed past him. Hogan left the arena through an open door with an angry expression on his face. The announcers speculated on the instability within the nWo.

Eddie Guerrero vs Ray Traylor

Eddie carried the bulkier Ray Traylor to a watchable match here, although it was shorter than most of the others, except the opener. Eddie came out with the WCW Cruiserweight title on and pointed some insults up at Ray Traylor, who was waiting for him in the ring. Traylor rushed over and attacked Guerrero while he was entering the ropes, delivering some overhead forearms. Guerrero went to the map. Traylor threw him to the corner and stomped a mudhole in him, then just as Eddie was fighting out with some kicks, Traylor scoop slammed him.

Traylor delivered some more punches, then clotheslined Eddie. Traylor tossed him from the ring and raised his arms in an angry fashion. Guerrero slapped the mat and looked frustrated. Traylor motioned him back in the ring. Eddie stepped up on the ring apron, then leapfrogged the ropes and hit Traylor in the mouth with a kick. Guerrero stomped Traylor. Guerrero bounced off the ropes and hit Traylor in the head feet first. Guerrero then dominated the match for several more minutes. Traylor did get a good-looking powerslam at one point, but as he was leaning over, Guerrero rolled him up for the win. The referee didn’t see Guerrero holding Traylor’s belt and counted the 1-2-3. Eddie ducked from the ring to avoid retaliation from the angry Traylor and laughed at him on the outside. The crowd gave him a mass of boo’s for that.

Result – Eddie Guerrero by pin (70/68/69.9)

MAIN EVENT: Lex Luger vs Randy Savage

The main event came after a brief commercial and started with Lex Luger making a few comments from the ring, “Savage! You're just about the most arrogant person I've ever met. You think you can come down to the ring and interfere in any match you want, dont you? You think you can drop that big elbow on anybody in WCW? Well let me tell you something, you cant drop it on The Total Package, Lex Luger. Because when you're in the ring with me, you're not gonna have enough to reach your feet, much less reach the top turnbuckle.

But the worst mistake you made, Savage, was trying to drop that elbow on the World Champion. My friend, Sting. I take that personal, Savage. You trying to take Sting out is like trying to take out the Total Package. And I back up Sting not just because he's my friend but because he represents WCW. He's the WCW World Champion and you're not gonna take that away from him with a cheapshot. Not while I'm around."

Randy Savage’s music finally hit in the building and he ran to the ring, sliding in. Savage and Luger exchanged punches to a good reaction. Savage bounced off the ropes and tried to clothesline Luger, but he ducked it and snap suplexed Savage down to the mat. Luger dropped a leg on Savage, then covered for the 1-2. Savage delivered some forearms, then whipped Luger off the ropes and gave him a stiff elbow to the mouth, dropping him. Savage propelled him into the corner and stomped him.

Savage locked in an abdominal stretch and used the ropes for leverage, just out of sight of referee Randy Anderson. Anderson finally noticed and broke it. Luger broke free and clotheslined Savage down, then picked him up from the mat and over his head in a military press, then let him drop. Savage rolled him up in surprise for the 1-2. Luger then knocked him down again and hit a scoop slam. Luger signalled for The Rack! Savage slid from the ring and escaped. Miss Elizabeth looked on in concern.

Suddenly, Scott Norton and Buff Bagwell led the New World Order down to ringside. They pointed at Luger and shouted some insults up at him. Savage snuck in and attacked Luger from behind. Savage locked in a chin lock from the ground, but Luger reached the ropes. Bagwell tried to distract the ref, but he broke the hold first. Luger knocked Bagwell from the ring apron! He turned around and got clobbered by a massive clothesline. Savage went to the top rope and signalled for the Elbow Drop. He leaped….and missed! Luger rolled away and got to his feet, then as Savage staggered to his feet, got him in the Rack! Savage looked in great pain! Bagwell entered and clobbered Luger with a chair. Ouch. The ref called for a DQ.

Result – Lex Luger by DQ (75.4/56.6/74.4)

The crowd boooooo’d and then chanted WE WANT STING! WE WANT STING! as the New World Order put the boots to Luger. Suddenly, Sting was spotted in the crowd, near the concession entrance at the top of the aisle. The crowd went nuts! Sting started to come down! Norton and Hennig noticed first, then as all the New World Order turned to confront this masked Sting, another masked Sting entered the ring from the other side. The Sting removed his mask and it was the real Sting! Konnan and the others got ambushed and tried to bail, but Sting cleaned house. The second Sting hopped the apron and attacked on the outside. He removed his mask too and it was Diamond Dallas Page! The crowd went crazy as everyone was laid out! The picture focused on Luger's enemy, Randy Savage, who was being held back. Amazingly enough, the program faded out.

66.2 Overall

8,502 Attendance

WCW recieved 820,449 viewers for WCW Monday Nitro (decrease of 49,230 viewers from previous show); WWF recieved 741,294 viewers for WWF Monday RAW (decrease of 66,307 viewers from previous show)

Edited by Nottavictim

I remember a day before EWB3.0 went down i began to read this but never got to finish it, so in short i'm glad this is back. And unlike some WcW diaries your shows haven't been any sort of stretch to think WcW would pull in that time era. Though i'm curious if that book eric got will either effect the booking quite quickly or slowly over time once he realizes it's right. And how it got there and who wrote it interest me as well. So simply put, ya got me hooked as a reader.

Guest JamesHearte

Hella good stuff man. I like that you're utilising Lex Luger well, which is something most writers have trouble with. I'll keep reading to see how long it takes him to turn on Sting, and then for Sting to forgive him. :)

Gotta love WCW.