How to end the nWo in One Year or Less

Decided to slide in with a few comments, and I've honestly been well-entertained by this diary thus far. I stopped watching wrestling before WCW truly existed, so I'm not in a position to comment on the realism here, or lack thereof. However, I'm more a fan of gradual change than quick overhauls, so if some of the stuff mirrors what WCW actually did, so be it. Looking back on the guys that were there at the time, though, it boggles the mind to think of the staggering incompetence that it took to screw up a company with the kind of roster WCW had in the late '90s. Now, about the diary... B)

--I'm with Bischoff, wondering where the book came from, and more importantly, who the author is.

--Two DQ's per show is a bit brutal, but again, if that's the way WCW operated at the time, no need to flip the script overnight.

--Bummer about DiBiase's defection. As a manager, Ted could have been just as successful, if not more so, than he was as a wrestler.

--Never knew Syxx had that kind of stroke, especially with Hogan.

--Wondering what'll happen when Bischoff meets up with Ric Flair backstage.

And...that's all I got for now. Gonna keep up, though. Solid work, notta.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2WRESTLING.COM REsults for WCW Thursday Thunder

February 12th, 1998

We are LIVE via tape on Thunder from the Cow Palace in California. Tony Schiavone was being excited even more than usual, if that’s possible, because WCW was only days away from SuperBrawl VIII. Main event for SuperBrawl is Randy Savage versus Sting, with the New World Order in tow.

Got back?

We were taken backstage, where Eddie Guerrero and Chavo were lacing their boots. Eddie sat up on a bench and looked across at Chavo, “You got my back tonight, holmes?”

Chavo looked back at him strangely and frowned, “What? Why?”

“What do you mean, why? I got my shot for the Cruiserweight Title tonight, essa. I want you in my corner, holmes.”

“Yeah, I am, Eddie. I’m there, man. You just play it straight and everything will turn out fine. You’ll see.”

“Yeah yeah. Don’t worry about the way I’m playin’ it. I got a plan,” Eddie replied.

Alex Wright vs Super Loco

We go straight to the ring, where Alex Wright was standing, about to be introduced. Amazingly enough, he snatched the mic and had a few words to say.

Wright took off his black, leather jacket first and then said seriously, “A couple weeks ago, I came back to wrestling after barely being able to move months before. I had a serious injury and I thought I was done in this sport. So I come out here in good faith for good competition, but I get squashed, beaten and humiliated. I’ll tell you what, I think people expected me to either go nuts or keep taking it. Well, I’m not doing either. I’m not gonna be some raving psycho and I’m not gonna lay down anymore either. I’m gonna put something on the line each and every match I have because I want true COMPETITION and I want every single one on one to mean something to you fans. You deserve it. So what I’m putting on the line from now on is my job! And if I can compete, then I’ll stay here but if I cant, then I blew it and I’ll leave. Just like that!”

Suddenly, some music erupted in the arena and SUPER LOCO came out for his announced match with Alex Wright. With Wright’s promise in mind, the mexcian Loco luchadore sprinted to the ring and slid in. Both men traded right hands, then Loco took an atomic drop and a backbreaker. Wright wrenched Loco’s back while on the mat, then went up top and clipped Loco with a missile dropkick. Loco was down and looked out, but as soon as Wright approached, Loco stopped playing possum and put his boot in the gut. Loco went to the top rope and hit a head scissors takedown that whipped Wright across the ring.

Wright kicked out forcibly at 1-2 and tried to hit a tiger bomb, but Loco blocked it. Wright pummelled the back with overhead forearms and then hit a double-arm suplex, using the arms as leverage to finally get him over. Wright went up to the top rope and hit a tremendous frog splash for the 1-2-3. Wright held up his hands and celebrated.

Result – Alex Wright by pin

Match Reaction = 39.5%

Match Quality = 71.4%

Overall Rating = 48.8%

Jimmy Hart with a plan

After commercial, Gene Okerlund hyped his phone hotline, then was joined by Jimmy Hart for an interview, “Jimmy Hart, just last week, your new team was beaten horribly by your old team, Meng and The Barbarian. Now how can you even show your face this week?”

“Mean Gene, this guy Steve Williams is the one who shouldn’t be showing his face! Hahaha! Yeah baby! Okay, so he pulled one over on me but lemme tell you somethin’ Mean Gene, there’s plenty of freaks in wrestling. Hahaha! And if you’re good at math like I am, you know that there’s just one Steve Williams, just one Meng and just one Barbarian but there’s dozens, there’s dozens of men who want to work for me.”

Just then Arthur Dexter Bradley walked up next to Jimmy Hart, wearing black trunks. His long hair was slick, wet and tied in a ponytail. Hart laughed and motioned to ADB, “The one who’s gonna pay is Steve Williams and the men who are gonna deliver are part of The Dungeon. Meet my new bodyguard, Gene.”

“This Steve Williams fellow is gonna get what’s comin’ to him,” ADB said.

Hart yelled now, “Later on, Mean Gene, you better pay attention like everybody else because tonight I’m gonna unveil the Dungeon and I’m gonna call out Steve Williams! Hahaha!”

Overall Rating = 49.0%

Hart hype

A video of Bret Hart played, replaying the feud with Steve McMichael and Goldberg. Early highlights of the tag-team with Ric Flair were shown.

Overall Rating = 87.1%

Brian Adams & Konnan vs. Public Enemy

Brian Adams and Konnan come out with dew rags in tow. Konnan went a step further and wore sunglasses plus a shirt that was emblazened with letters that said ‘The Posse’. Public Enemy came out second, waving their arms. The Public Enemy craze however, seems to have died down, if the crowd was any indication.

Adams stood in and started the match against Rocco, locking up with him. Adams slapped on a headlock and began the match in a traditional fashion, but then Rocco powered out. Rocco bounced off the ropes and tried to shoulder-block Adams to the ground, but he was an immovable wall. Adams pounded Rocco with overhead forearms, then clotheslined him down hard. He immediately followed up with an elbow drop and hit a hot tag to Johnny Grunge. Grunge summoned up the power of Dusty Rhodes and hit a series of elbows and right hands.

Adams retreated and then tagged in Konnan. Konnan and Grunge traded right hands, then Konnan kicked him in the gut. Konnan bounced off the ropes and hit a running clothesline. Adams was tagged in and helped Konnan put Grunge on the turnbuckle. They then double backdropped the large Grunge to the canvas, nearly dropping him on his head. Adams covered for the 1-2-3.

Result – Brian Adams & Konnan

Match Reaction = 59.9%

Match Quality = 54.9%

Overall Rating = 62.6%

Rick Steiner reads

Rick Steiner comes out with a bag over his shoulder. The crowd woof, woofs at him. He sets down the bag in the ring and then takes the mic, “Lemme get right down to it. I’m out here tonight ‘cause of one man, my brother, Scott Steiner. Some people have been callin’ him a loose cannon, a jerk and other junk. People have been sayin’ that we’re breakin’ up. We’re NOT breakin’ up. Well, there’s nobody, NOBODY, that works harder, works longer and tries harder than my brother. What I got right here is a bag full of fan mail that says just that.

Rick reaches down into the bag and pulls out a letter. Rick reads, “Dear Scott, my name is Mike and I’m a big fan. You’re my favorite wrestler and---“

Rick Steiner barely began when the Steiners music began again. Scott Steiner walked out on stage again, “Rick…Rick…Stop! I don’t wanna hear any fanmail. All the talkin’ the world isnt gonna help me get over the screwjobs, over all the pain, over all the blood we spilled tryin’ to get to the top as team. I’m sick of losing. We’re DONE!”

Rick Steiner shook his head, “These people that wrote you—they’re not just fans, Scott. They’re people that support you, no matter what. Like me, dude. Kids, adults, people from all over…listen…” he began, then pulled out another piece of mail.

Scott Steiner ran down to the ring and looked like he was in a frenzy. He snatched the mail from Rick and ripped it up. Scott took the bag and ripped that too, dumping all the mail from the ring. Scott kicked the remains from the mat. Rick turned Scott around suddenly and started yelling at him. Scott reared back and looked like he might hit his brother, but stopped himself. Scott shook his head and left the ring. He kept saying that he was quitting. Scott walked to the back depressingly.

Overall Rating = 67.5%

Disco’s Dance Challenge

Disco Inferno was in the ring, holding a gold, framed record. He held it up saying, “Lemme just say this---nobody’s better at entertaining you people than ME! I can dance…I can sing…here…look at the record! Look! A top forty hit! Hit my music!!!” he yelled loudly. Disco well….he disco’d around the ring, summoning up the power of John Travolta to ‘dance’ as it were. It took a good two or three minutes, which I was not enjoying. The crowd boo’d him.

Disco got up on the turnbuckle and pointed to his record again, “Now I challenge anyone in the back to do that---“

Just then, Bret Hart’s music came on in the arena and he came out. Wearing his jacket that said Hitman on the back, he grabbed the mic away from Disco and said, “You challenging anyone?”

Disco nodded, but only received a hard right hand from Bret Hart, dropping him solidly to the floor. Bret Hart grabbed Disco’s record and threw it down, busting it with a stiff boot. He kicked the broken pieces out of the ring. Disco got up using the ropes and tried kicking Bret, but the Hitman caught his boot. Bret spun him around and clotheslined him down. Bret stomped the knee of Disco until he was writhing in pain. Bret Hart then locked in the Sharpshooter to good cheers. Disco immediately tapped out.

Result – Bret Hart by submission

Match Reaction = 65.3%

Match Quality = 78.4%

Overall Rating = 73.2%

Benoit interview

Gene Okerlund was standing in the ring and hyped his hotline again before turning to Chris Benoit, “Chris Benoit, you’ve never heard a major championship in World Championship Wrestling, but you’ve got your chance now, at SuperBrawl! What would you do if you won that match?”

“Gene, I’m not thinking about what if’s. I’ll tell you this, Dean Malenko and the Crippler Chris Benoit are gonna walk into SuperBrawl and prove something. We’re gonna walk out Tag-Team Champs and I don’t care what anybody says about the Outsider mystique or the New World Order---it doesn’t matter! There’s nothing those guys fear more than people like me who work the hell outta them---because after we’ve gone ten minutes, twenty minutes, even thirty minutes, I’ll still be standing there asking for more.”

Overall Rating = 52.1%

“The Militant” Ray Traylor vs Curt Hennig

Like he was straight out of the NRA, Traylor whipped off his sunglasses and bounded to the ring with much energy. Hennig came in a more calm method, just chewing his gum and smirking all the while. He tossed his towel over his shoulder and caught it, giving Traylor a smirk next. Traylor rushed Hennig and attacked, giving him some straight right hands. Hennig kicked him in the gut, used a quick go-behind and pushed him into the turnbuckle. Hennig slapped his gum at Traylor, but that only seemed to enrage the monster.

Traylor clotheslined Hennig down, then picked him up and hit a huge belly to belly suplex. Hennig kicked at the ankles and in a sneaky method, almost rolled up Traylor for the victory. Traylor pounded him again, but when he went for the suplex, Hennig slipped out. Hennig hit a standing dropkick, but didn’t quite get all of it. Traylor helped himself up and came out of the corner like a locomotive, destroying Hennig with a vicious clothesline, worthy of Faarooq.

Suddenly, the New World Order ran down to the ring and slid in, attacking Traylor. Adams, Konnan, Scott Norton, Hall and Nash all pummelled Traylor. Norton and Adams both sidewalk slammed Traylor, then allowed Nash to powerbomb him. Nash shook a spray can and sprayed the N…W…O letters on his back. He pointed at the camera and promised more for Sting.

Result – Ray Traylor by DQ

Match Reaction = 66.4%

Match Quality = 69.2%

Overall Rating = 70.6%

Chris Jericho interview

A pre-taped interview with Chris Jericho was shown. He was holding a mic when he smirked at the camera and said, “Chavo, you better not be overlooking Chris Jericho, because I’m just as much a ‘crippler’ as another Chris in this company. You’re always whining and complaining about how to play things fair, well lemme tell you something, if /I/ were your half…cousin…borther’s….nephew, then I’d tell you to shove your advice! If I were part of your disgusting family, you’d already be on the shelf for being such an arrogant jaaaackaaaass! You AND Eddie are the REAL troublemakers in WCW. You took my match with Rey Mysterio and at SuperBrawl, you’re gonna PAY.”

Rick Steiner vs. Kevin Nash

Rick Steiner doesn’t look like he wants to be there, as he stood in the ring, waiting for The Outsiders to come down. Kevin Nash was all smiles however as he took a mic and said, “Hey hey hey! What do we have here? Hey Rick, your dog die or somethin’? Haha! C’mon Rick, buck up. There will be other ‘roid ragin guys for you to buddy with. Hell, you can be our buddy!”

Hall took the mic and laughed, “Yeah, that’s right. You can be our buddy, chico. Now go get me a beer! Haha!”

Rick Steiner walked forward and nailed Hall with a stiff uppercut, then as Nash came over, another uppercut was thrown. Rick threw Hall out of the ring and then put the boots to Nash. Nash worked back to his feet, blocked a right hand and then used his big boot to topple Steiner. Nash whipped Rick off the ropes and used the big boot again. He was tossed over the top rope and Hall worked over Steiner while Nash distracted the ref. When Rick was rolled back in, the match was all but over. But Rick Steiner kicked out impressively. Nash put him in a strong hammerlock.

Rick reached for the ropes and cried out for help, calling for his brother. No help came. Gritting his teeth, Rick broke the hold but it took all his strength. He went down in a heap. Nash picked him up again and powerbombed him hard into the mat. Nash covered for the 1-2-3.

Result – Kevin Nash by pin

Match Reaction = 68.2%

Match Quality = 60.8%

Overall Rating = 69.5%

Jimmy promises revenge

After commercial, Jimmy Hart stood in the ring with the huge “Shark” John Tenta, “Dr. Death” Scott Montgomery, Arthur Dexter Bradley and a new masked man. This masked man was introduced as the “Hangman” and carried a rope, thrown over his shoulder casually. This man was large, although nowhere near as large as John Tenta, if you catch my drift. His dark eyes peered through his black hood and revealed nothing of his identity.

“Steve Williams! You’re outnumbered, outclassed and out-matched! Hahaha!” Jimmy Hart cackled, “At SuperBrawl, I’m going to pick one of the Dungeon and if you have the guts, show up and we’ll see---“

Suddenly, the music of Dr. Death Steve Williams came on. The grizzled veteran came out on stage and glared at Jimmy from his position on the stage, “You can bring anybody you want to SuperBrawl, Jimmy and I will take them on, one on one. I wont have a chance to prepare, I wont know what’s coming. All that bullcrap will be in your favor. But if I win…Jimmy…if I win, I want five minutes in the ring, WITH YOU!” he shouted.

Jimmy Hart cackled and said agreeably, “Yeah right! You aint got a chance, Stevie! Haha!”

Dean Malenko vs. Eddie Guerrero for the Cruiserweight Championship

Amazingly enough, the cruiserweight belt was put up for a main event on a WCW show. Dean Malenko came out with much ceremony, but no emotion showed on his face. He was as cold and as unreadable as ice. Eddie Guerrero however, was not surpringly, energetic. But what was a surprise was that he came out with Miss Elizabeth! Unbelievably, Eddie had his arm around Elizabeth’s shoulders as he winked and teased her on their way to the ring. Malenko raised a curious brow and just shook his head.

Oh and where was Chavo? Chavo ran down, probably having been forgotten by Eddie and frowned, getting into an immediate argument. Eddie blew him off and slid into the ring. Chavo stewed on the outside as the match began, eyeing Elizbeth as she waved. Eddie kicked Dean and asserted himself early on, hitting a back heel kick and then tried to beat Malenko at his own submission game. Eddie began with a boston crab, then tried to cross the legs in some sort of cloverleaf variation, but Dean rolled through.

Eddie wrenched the arm to slow Dean down, but Dean summoned up the power of the Undertaker to walk the top rope and club Eddie with a forearm. Dean now showed everywhere what work on the mat looked like, moving from a front face lock, to an armbar, to a series of other moves. When Eddie wouldn’t submit, Dean regrouped. Elizabeth handed something to Eddie under the ropes! It was powder! Eddie stood up to use it but Chavo grabbed his arm, causing the powder to fly up into the air. Chavo fell from the ring apron. Eddie slapped the turnbuckle in disgust, allowing Dean to slip up from behind and hit a fisherman’s suplex for the 1-2-3.

Result – Dean Malenko by pin

Match Reaction = 70.3%

Match Quality = 80.4%

Overall Rating = 80.2%

After the match, Chavo slid in and started arguing with Eddie Guerrero! Elizabeth entered, but Chavo cornered her and started yelling at her too. Suddenly, RANDY SAVAGE ran down and slid in, grabbing Elizbeth by the wrist. He tried to take her away, but Eddie attacked! Eddie clobbered Savage and knocked him from the ring. Savage shouted some insults from the outside, flipped over chairs and went nuts with anger. Chavo just left, unbelievably mad at Eddie.

63.6 Overall

10,903 Attending

The TV viewing figures for last night are now in: WCW recieved 613,211 viewers for WCW Thunder (increase of 23,955 viewers from previous show);

NEXT....WCW WorldWide, WCW's Preview Show AND...

February 1998's SUPERBRAWL VIII

"Dr. Death" Steve Williams vs. Jimmy's Chosen One

Ultimo Dragon vs. Yuji Nagata w/Sonny Onoo & Villanos

Chris Jericho vs. Chavo Guerrero

Tyrone w/Raven vs. Booker T (WCW TV Title Match)

The Outsiders vs. Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko (WCW Tag-Title Match)

Buff Bagwell vs. Diamond Dallas Page (WCW US Title Match)

Bret Hart & Ric Flair vs. Steve McMichael & Goldberg

Sting vs. Randy Savage (WCW World Title Match)

Which Dungeon member will Jimmy Hart choose?

1. Arthur Dexter Bradley

2. The Fake "Dr. Death" Scott Montgomery

3. "The Shark" John Tenta

4. The Mysterious "Hangman"

Edited by Nottavictim

Man that was a 'meh' show to me. I tell you man, I can feel the whole Steiner Brothers thing. Infact I think Scott will make his HEEL TURN soon on Rick. Though I am not sure if he will be alone or join the nWo or something.

The Alex Wright promo, I dunno, I never know he might feel that way. So oh ok then, atleast my favorite dancing german won the bout. The Main event was very interesting to me. The Chavo-Eddie thing is intensifying after every show.

So I cant wait to see the next show my friend.

Looks like a predix contest to me... :D

1. Arthur Dexter Bradley

Man that was a 'meh' show to me. I tell you man, I can feel the whole Steiner Brothers thing. Infact I think Scott will make his HEEL TURN soon on Rick. Though I am not sure if he will be alone or join the nWo or something.

I've been dragging on this month! Five weeks between PPVs is hard work and you're right, it was a sort of a meh show with some meh concepts. Next month should be a good change, only four weeks.

Edited by Nottavictim

2WRESTLING REPORT:

WCW SUPERBRAWL Preview Show

February 14th, 1998

WCW WorldWide

Curt Hennig beat Fit Finley (79.3%)

Interview with Jim Neidhart (69.6%)

Davey Boy Smith and Jim Neidhart beat Scotty Riggs and Van Hammer (55.7%)

Rick Steiner beat Rick Martel (72.2%)

Raven beat Ray Traylor (64.9%)

Lex Luger & The Giant beat David Taylor & Steven Regal (65.9%)

SuperBrawl VIII

"Dr. Death" Steve Williams vs. Jimmy Hart's Chosen One

This seems to be a battle of philosophies. Williams, the grizzled veteran, took out his aggressions on the latest, gimmicky schmoes to be introduced by Jimmy Hart, BUT Hart was not so easily defeated. He has regrouped with some youngsters, the veteran John Tenta and a mysterious man named the "Hangman." At SuperBrawl, Jimmy Hart gets to pick the wrestler of his choice to take on Williams, but in return, if Dr. Death wins, he gets five minutes in the ring with Hart.

Ultimo Dragon vs. Yuji Negata

Sonny Oono made Ultimo Dragon, or so he says. But Dragon is a self-made man and cannot stand Onoo or anyone associated with him, especially Yuji Negata. The most interesting development lately is the subtle disinterest Negata has been showing toward Oono's vendetta against Dragon. Will Oono crack the whip or will the fire finally show in Negata?

Chris Jericho vs. Chavo Guerrero Jr.

Chris Jericho originally needed a big win over Rey Mysterio to impress Konnan and The Posse, but that was all for naught as a mysterious attacker nearly put Mysterio out. Jericho and most of WCW blamed Eddie Guerrero, but Chavo disagreed. With the recent rift between the Guerreros starting, will Chavo still have a chance to come out on top?

Tyrone vs. Booker T for the TV Title

Although only the surface of this feud has been scratched, Tyrone has undoubtedly come out of nowhere to challenge Booker T on a personal level. With the help of Raven, Tyrone has called a Booker T a fraud, a sham, and a liar, amongst other things. With that kind of threat to his pride, Booker T had to accept the challenge. Will this play right into the hands of Raven? What secrets about Booker T are yet to be revealed?

The Outsiders vs. Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko for the Tag-Titles

It is unfortunate that Chris Benoit & Malenko were ultimately behind the rift between the Steiner brothers. Benoit however, is proud of his #1 contenders spot and will be going for his first gold at SuperBrawl. If the Steiners vs. Benoit/Malenko match was any indication, this one should be an all-out brawl.

Buff Bagwell vs. DDP for the US Championship

This match has been coming since the beginning of the year and this is the payoff. Buff Bagwell has gained most of the edge since clashing with DDP, doing so by acquiring the loyalty of Madusa. Buff might just be outmatched however, when the two finally just have to put up and wrestle.

Steve McMichael formed a plan with Goldberg to fake his injury in order to destroy Bret Hart's friends. That went wonderfully and to top it all off, McMichael was able to one up Arn Anderson, therein proving to himself that he was better than the Horsemen. But can the two schemers beat the leaders of the two most respected factions in wrestling?

WCW World Champion Sting vs. Randy Savage

After showing some leadership ability, Randy Savage was named to replace Hollywood Hogan in the main event. Kevin Nash and Scott Hall have surpisingly supported him and left behind what was "Hollywood's" nWo. However, Randy Savage might just be the most unstable World Title challenger in WCW history. Eddie Guerrero recently appeared with Miss Elizabeth and Savage doesnt trust anyone around him. However, if a victory can be pulled off, Savage might just look like the strongest man in WCW.

Edited by Nottavictim

Here are my predictions for the PPV

Outsiders vs. Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko (WCW Tag-Title Match)

1. Arthur Dexter Bradley

1. Arthur Dexter Bradley

1. Arthur Dexter Bradley

1. Arthur Dexter Bradley

1. Arthur Dexter Bradley

SuperBrawl VIII

February 15th, 1998

user posted image

New World Order and the Note

It’s time once again for a nWo arrival scene, where unity was the theme. Hall was wearing a dewrag to show his street side. Nash walked from the limo with Randy Savage, but then suddenly Buff Bagwell crowded the camera in order to grin arrogantly and flex. As the camera pushed to the side of Bagwell and Hennig, it focused on Savage again. A backstage member ran up and handed a note to Randy Savage.

Syxx slid off the trunk of the limo and eyed the note suspiciously. Savage read it just as Hall and Nash leaned closer, then crumpled it up into a ball.

“What’s with that?” Hall asked.

“Somebody bein’ funny,” Savage noted darkly, “If any of you see Eddie Guerrero, I want him. Nobody’s leavin’ tonight until he gets buried.”

“Don’t worry pal, we’ll take care of him,” Nash promised. The camera zoomed in on Savage, but those glossy sunglasses revealed nothing. He tenses his jaw and walked off with the group.

The show faded in and showed an excellent video package of STING. Highlights of Sting with Roddy Piper were shown, as well as his several confrontations with the New World Order, led by Savage. Tony Schiavone, Larry Zybysko and Dusty Rhodes all speculated on the main event, with Dusty going so far as to question whether Sting would be able to overcome the whole now group. They then threw it backstage where The Brain was standing in the dimly lit hallway. The Brain also gave his predictions, but said that he was even more interested in what STEVE WILLIAMS was going to do if he got his hands on Jimmy Hart tonight.

“Dr. Death” Steve Williams vs. The Hangman

What a master of the segue that Brain is. Tony Schiavone got really excited as Steve Williams was introduced, feeling some of the same sentiment as the Brain, I suppose. Half of his music was interrupted however as the Dungeon ran down the aisle and attacked en masse. The large Hangman seemed to be directing traffic, as Scott Montgomery and ADB kicked him down. John Tenta put the beaten Williams on his shoulder and carried him to the ring.

After Tenta deposited Williams for the Hangman, he covered for the 1-2. Williams kicked out and eyed The Hangman with the anger boiling up inside him. The Dungeon vacated the ring and let the match continue, cursing Williams on the outside. Jimmy Hart jumped up and down like a pinball, shaking his fists. The Hangman reversed an irish whip and threw Williams into the turnbuckle hard. He charged but was met with a stiff elbow. Williams kicked the Hangman right in the kneecap, then kicked him in the fat gut. The Hangman raked the face to halt the momentum, then hit a DDT. He wasn’t about to cover this time though, as he wanted to destroy Williams. He began by rubbing the face of Williams on the mat, then pressing his black heel to his forehead.

The Hangman stomped Williams, over and over, then choked him on the ropes. When he had to break it, ADB came over and the choking continued. Williams used the ropes to get up as The Hangman laughed at him arrogantly, holding his belly in amusement. The Hangman turned him around, but Williams blocked a punch, then another, then reversed a whip and clotheslined the masked man. Williams dropped his knee into the stomach of The Hangman, then reached down to unmask him. They struggled. Jimmy Hart jumped up on the apron, but Williams turned around and socked him one. The crowd popped for that for the first time tonight. The Hangman got up slowly. Williams came over and while The Hangman couldn’t see, hit the Doctor Bomb for the 1-2-3.

Result – Steve Williams by pin

Match Reaction = 63.9%

Match Quality = 67.1%

Overall Rating = 65.9%

After the match, Williams again tried to unmask The Hangman, but the Dungeon rushed in for the save. They pummelled Williams, ambushing him from behind. Jimmy Hart directed traffic as ADB and Montgomery put the boots to Williams each time he tried to get up. They tossed him into the corner and Tenta slammed into him, squashing him against the turnbuckle. The Hangman got up and helped out, taking his turn squashing Williams. Williams collapsed and started coughing up a little blood as the heels celebrated. The mysterious Hangman laughed loudly.

Overall Rating = 94.0%!

Ultimo Dragon vs. Yuji Nagata

Los Villanos escorted Nagata to the ring, but then he turned around and ordered them to the back! The twin Villanos didn’t know how to react, looking at Nagata in confusion. After some more prompting, the Villanos walked to the back and left Nagata alone in the ring, which he seemed happy with. Ultimo Dragon was introduced next and he came out dressed in a teal and black, which was a great color for him. He took off the elaborate cape as his music was cut off. Sonny Onoo ran down and yelled something up from ringside at Nagata.

Nagata put his hands on his hips frustratedly, then blew off Oono, not answering. He turned to the Dragon and offered his hand. Nagata was offering to shake! Ultimo tentatively shook hands and then the match began. After a grapple, Nagata turned it into a collar and elbow tie-up, but Dragon quickly countered with a wrist lock turn of the arm. The grip was tightened but Nagata used some overwhelming power to tug Dragon toward him. Dragon landed on his feet after being tossed backwards in a German Suplex attempt. Nagata took him down with an arm drag hip toss, but then walked into one of the Dragon’s! It turned into a series of counters and holds, faster than I can recount. Dragon finally hit a standing dropkick, then went to the top rope. Summoning the power of any Ric Flair opponent, Nagata leapt over to the turnbuckle and tossed Dragon down hard. Dragon landed on his feet, grabbed Nagata into a headlock, then delivered a powerful Tornado DDT.

Sonny Oono jumped up on the apron as Dragon was climbing to the turnbuckle again and knocked him off! Unbelievable. Dragon fell to the mat hard. The ref turned around and didn’t even see it. Suddenly, REY MYSTERIO ran down and pulled Oono from the apron, tossing him to the ground. Both men struggled to their feet. Dragon summoned up a second wind and used a Quebrada Press for a near fall, but Nagata reversed it. Nagata then tried to lock Dragon into his own Dragon Sleeper, but Dragon slipped out and clotheslined Nagata down. Dragon went to the top rope and his some sort of twisting, asai legdrop thing that looked very nicely done. Dragon rolled over for the 1-2-3.

Result – Ultimo Dragon by pin

Match Reaction = 53.8%

Match Quality = 81.6%

Overall Rating = 63.9%

After the match, Los Villanos finally found their way back to the ring and attacked Rey Mysterio. Oono and the Villanos kicked and stomped the injured Mysterio and Dragon. Nagata slid out and frowned at the scene, then grabbed Oono by the collar, tossing him away! Oono jumped up, stomped his feet and had a hissy fit! Dragon leapt from the ring and helped Mysterio to his feet. It was a standoff. Nagata shook his head and walked off with his group.

Flair limped in

Backstage, the locker room area was shown. Ric Flair was limping around as if trying to walk off his recent attack by Goldberg. Flair shook his head and didn’t look too confident, then noticed someone walk by. It was Eddie Guerrero! With him was Miss Elizabeth, who was clinging to him.

“Hey holmes, you’re in front of my locker,” Guerrero said with a smirk and a chuckle. Miss Elizabeth brushed his hair back into place.

Ric Flair put a hand on his hip and turned to look at Eddie, “You’re telling me, Ric Flair, that I’m in your way? Lemme tell you something partner, I was wrestling guys twice as big as you and ten times as good as you for years. I was wrestling guys up and down the country, wrestling to the BIGGEST and the LOUDEST arenas when you were still in diapers! I’ve had lockers, I’ve had limos, I’ve had women, all day, every day! People like you only /wish/ to have what I’ve had all along. I think you got better things to worry about than comin' in here claiming lockers.”

“Yeah, an argument with mi familia. But nothin’ like the problems you got holmes. I’m talkin’ about your broken down, busted ass, essa. I don’t see any stylin’ and profilin’, I don’t see any chicas. Nah, I see a short locker and an old man. You’re nothing now. I kinda feel sorry for you, essa. So you take all the room you want, I gotta go watch a match.”

Ric Flair put a hand on Eddie’s chest and glared at him sternly, but Eddie brushed away then walked off.

Overall Rating = 98.4%

We cut to the ring where Chavo Guerrero was standing. If Eddie was watching this match, it certainly wasn’t from ringside. Chris Jericho came out to a new video introduction on the big wall and his music cranked up. He slid into the ring and pointed across at Chavo, threatening him. The action began with a lock-up, until Guerrero wrenched Jericho around and threw him into the corner.

Guerrero hit a dropkick on Jericho knocks him clean over the turnbuckle down to the floor. Guerrero jumped from the apron and collided himself with Jericho with no regard for his own well being. Jericho reversed a whip and tossed Guerrero over the steel steps awkwardly. That looked bad. Guerrero grabbed his knee and looked like he was in pain. Jericho rolled him back in and covered for the 1-2. Jericho slapped the ring in frustration, yelling at the ref. Jericho stomped Guerrero on the mat, then worked some ground moves for several minutes. It was when Guerrero was locked in a camel clutch that he looked really in trouble, but then got to the ropes.

Guerrero helped himself up using the ropes, then as Jericho walked over to engage him once again, he walked right into a belly to belly suplex. Jericho snapped up but Guerrero hit a dropkick to drop him quickly again. Jericho was whipped over the ropes, then dumped over Guerrero’s shoulder straight to the floor. Guerrero climbed the turnbuckle and hit a crossbody right on the floor. They fought around the right for a few more minutes, until Jericho slid into the ring and caught Guerrero by surprise with a boot to the face.

Guerrero bulldogged Jericho for a 1-2. With much energy, Guerrero backed Jericho into the corner and hit him across the chest with some chops. Jericho came out of the corner with right hands, then hit a standing dropkick, toppling over Guerrero. Jericho tried to lock in the Liontamer but couldn’t get Guerrero over! Guerrero rolled into the corner and then as Jericho charged, Guerrero leapt over top and hit a victory roll for a 1-2. Jericho barely escaped. He backed off from Guerrero and used some kicks to slow him down. Jericho whipped him off the ropes tiredly and then the two collided. Both men were down. The ref started the count but Jericho crawled over and covered for a 1-2. Jericho rolled up both of Guerrero’s feet and used all his strength to get a 1-2-3.

Result – Chris Jericho by pin

Match Reaction = 64.5%

Match Quality = 85.2%

Overall Rating = 76.2%

Tyrone vs Booker T for the WCW TV Title

The Flock were shown at ringside as Chavo Guerrero hobbled up the aisle to the back. Raven sat stoically as the camera focused on him, then leapt the barrier and slid into the ring. He sat in the corner. Tyrone did the same, except with stood with his hands on his hips in the ring while waiting for Booker T.

“Win or lose,” Raven began over the mic, “Booker T will NEVER be the same after the TRUTH is revealed,” he said cryptically.

“Win or lose? I’m gonna bust you up, Booker T! Get yo ass out here, Booker, right now!” Tyrone said, grabbing the mic, “Don’t make me come back there and drag your busted ass down the aisle---“ he began. Booker T’s music hit in the arena.

Booker T ran down to the ring like a man possessed and slid in, attacking Tyrone. Tyrone and Booker traded right hands, then traded move reversals until Tyrone was able to finally clothesline his opponent down. Tyrone stomped Booker T, then picked him right off the canvas and held him in a bearhug. Booker broke out with some elbows, then hit an ear clap of all moves. Tyrone was doubled over for a moment, but Booker took advantage and hit a jawbreaker. Booker bounced off the ropes to take advantage but Sick Boy grabbed his ankle, nearly tripping him up. An angry Booker turned to yell at him but Tyrone took advantage and ambushed him from behind.

Tyrone slammed Booker T down hard, but only got a 1-2. Tyrone locked on a headlock while Booker was prone on the ground but again, Booker T fought to his feet. Big body shots from the elbow helped Booker T to escape, then in classic style, Booker T bounced off the ropes and hit the heel kick. Booker T covered for the 1-2-3 before anyone could even react. The Flock rushed in to attack Booker T, but he slid out and escaped. On the outside he held his hands up in victory, then apparently told everyone to raise the roof, as he gave the signal.

Result – Booker T by pin

Match Reaction = 42.8%

Match Quality = 62.2%

Overall Rating = 49.5%

Savage Backstage

After Booker celebrated with his TV Title, we were taken backstage where Savage was tearing up the locker room while he looked for Eddie Guerrero. He kicked over and toppled everything in his path. He looked in doors but Eddie was nowhere to be seen. Only Kevin Nash, Hall and Syxx could calm him down. The group held Savage back from doing more damage. The announcers speculated if Eddie and Elizabeth were even still in the building.

Overall Rating = 75.2%

The Outsiders vs. Dean Malenko & Chris Benoit for the WCW World Tag-Team titles

The crowd was really hot for this match, but not as much as I thought. Overall, I don’t think this one lived up to my expectations, but what it did do was impress me with the amount of intensity had between wrestlers. Not the wrestling necessarily, but the sheer energy and emotion put into the match by those involved. The Outsiders looked calm and collected, but when Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko came out, then stared them right down without blinking, things changed. Nash smirked at Benoit, but got a shove for his efforts.

Nash lifted the knee and then pounded Benoit with overhead forearms. That was about all the regular offense this one had, because just like on Nitro, this one spilled onto the outside and erupted into a brawl. A few minutes in, the referee could barely control the action as Hall just about used every trick he had to devastate Benoit. He tossed Benoit into the steps, over the rail, then into the side of the ring. Finally, Hall just decided to pick the steel steps up but Benoit hit a drop toe hold on Hall, colliding face with steel. Ouch.

In the ring, I think the legal men were Nash and Malenko. Nash was really pummelling Malenko, chopping and punching him in the corner. Nash threw him into the opposite turnbuckle, then tried to deliver a strong avalanche, but missed. Malenko crawled toward his corner and reached for the tag, but Benoit wasn’t there! Hall was busted open on the outside and was still struggling with Benoit. Hall could barely stand. Benoit leapt onto the apron and reached for the tag, but Nash had recovered by then and pulled Malenko back. Nash scooped slammed and covered for a 1-2. Hall climbed back on his apron too and tried to shake it off. Nash whipped Malenko off the ropes but he ducked the clotheslined and hit the deck, able to quickly tag in Benoit! Benoit charged, shoulder blocking Nash to the corner. Nash squashed the referee as well. The referee went down in a heap. Hall entered but got tossed immediately. Benoit was able to German Suplex Nash in a huge spot and then locked on the Crippler Crossface! There was no referee!!! Nash looked ready to give up! Another referee ran down to the ring and slid in, taking over. It was Mickey Jay. Nash tapped! NASH TAPPED! It was over!

Mickey Jay called for the bell! Jay retrieved the tag-belts and gave them to Benoit and Malenko. WAIT! Hall revived Charles Robinson, who began arguing with Mickey Jay. Robinson took the belts from Benoit and Malenko and handed them to the Outsiders! Unbelievable. Charles Robinson was disqualifying Benoit for the bump.

Result – The Outsiders by DQ

After the match, the crowd boooo’d excessively. Benoit put his hands on his hips and couldn’t believe what had just happened. Wasn’t that an accident? Malenko stared down Hall and Nash as they barely escaped the match.

Match Reaction = 71.7%

Match Quality = 69.7%

Overall Rating = 76.3%

Chavo and Eddie Brawl

We finally found Eddie Guerrero. He was in the parking lot loading his car, apparently ready to leave. Miss Elizabeth stood by his side. Chavo Guerrero apparently had gotten a hot lead because he too found Eddie and came up to confront him.

“Eddie! What the hell you doin’? Where you goin’?? Why didn’t you come out for my match? I thought we were familia, yo!” Chavo yelled.

“Just shaddup for once,” Eddie snapped. He slammed the trunk closed. Chavo grabbed him by the shoulder and turned him around.

“You are NOT going to leave, Eddie. I don’t know what’s gotten into you lately but it’s got to STOP!”

“You’re right, holmes,” Eddie said, shaking his head, “I dunno what I’m thinkin’.”

Chavo nodded and stepped closer to shake hands, but Eddie clocked him, having faked the calm sentiment. Eddie slammed Chavo’s head into the trunk of the car, then put the boots to him. Eddie brawled with Chavo with a few more moments until, in a sick spot, Eddie destroyed the side window by putting Chavo’s head through it. Chavo went down and wasn’t moving.

Buff Bagwell vs. DDP for the WCW United States title

The announcers were irrate about Eddie’s dastardly turn on his own blood. They showed some updates during the beginning of the match, saying that medics had taken Chavo to the hospital. Meanwhile, Buff Bagwell was posing in the ring, flexing. Madusa was hanging all over him like a groupie. DDP came out second and began the match by locking up with Bagwell.

Bagwell tried to end it early and a few minutes in hit a jawbreaker for a close 1-2. Bagwell followed up with a stern right hand and a suplex. It looked like it took great strength to get DDP over and he nearly botched it. DDP grabbed the back of his neck and had to take a few moments to recover, trapped in the corner. Bagwell stomped him until DDP gained a second wind and blocked a right hand, delivering his own. DDP kicked Bagwell in the shin of all places, then clotheslined him down. DDP nearly fell off the turnbuckle as he was climbing up, looking wobbily. The announcers speculated on DDP’s condition. DDP was up there so long that Bagwell got up and clipped him with a right hand. Bagwell backdropped DDP from the turnbuckle and got a 1-2. DDP used the ropes to get up but slid to the mat once again. The referee asked him if he wanted to quit, while Bagwell stood there and smirked. DDP reversed an irish whip but couldn’t follow up, getting an elbow to the chin as Bagwell came off the ropes. DDP used the ropes to try to get up again and winced in serious pain. Bagwell took advantage, coming up behind to roll him up for the 1-2-3. DDP was down and it looked like there was yet another injury on the show. DDP rolled around in pain and couldn’t even lift his head.

Bagwell raised the US Title up in celebration, grinning all the while. Madusa kept his arm up and pointed to him. Medics apparently had to stretcher out DDP, but he didn’t want to go out that way. DDP fell off the stretcher and tried to walk to the back by any means necessary. The officials helped him walk.

Result – Buff Bagwell by pin

Match Reaction = 69.5%

Match Quality = 50.4%

Overall Rating = 73.0%

Bret Hart and Ric Flair vs. Goldberg & Steve McMichael

Ric Flair came out in a sparkling blue rope but he was limping. Bret Hart came out next and at least he was in prestine condition tonight. Flair shook hands with Hart. Goldberg and McMichael came out as a solid unit to the pounding music of Goldberg that was echoing in the arena. McMichael put on that all-american smile and taunted Hart from across the ring. He started the match with Hart, locking up with him. Hart used a quick snapmare takedown into a front facelock to frustrate McMichaels.

Hart nailed McMichael in the ribs with a knee, then stood up and decided to work the right leg. He grabbed it and nailed it with some kicks, then some falling elbows. After a few minutes of Hart’s ‘psychology’, Hart tagged in Flair and used some double-team moves to attack McMichaels. Flair put the boots to McMichael and dropped him with a stiff knife-edge chop, then tagged out a little sooner than I expected. The crowd was leary, as was Hart, who gave him a look. Flair shrugged. As Hart continued the match himself, the crowd chanting WE WANT FLAIR, WE WANT FLAIR! And this was California. And this was nearly 18,000.

Flair was tagged in! He entered and chopped McMichaels in the corner, then kicked him. McMichael blocked a punch and delivered one of his own, fighting out of the corner. Both men were trading furious right hands until McMichael took a stiff one and went down hard. Flair didn’t celebrate, but merely tagged in Hart. Curious move there because McMichael was able to skitter to his corner before Hart could prevent it. Goldberg was in now and he looked incredibly ready to wrestle. The crowd again chanted WE WANT FLAIR, but Hart was too busy fending off Goldberg. That same psychology didn’t seem to work on Goldberg, as he soon shrugged off work on his arm and work on his leg. Hart was sweating big time by this time and finally got a huge clothesline that nearly folded him in half. That halted the pyschology nearly for good. Goldberg tossed Hart into the corner and called for Flair. Hart made the tag. Flair was in!!

Flair blocked a right hand, then chopped Goldberg across the chest until it was beet red. Backed into the corner, Flair continued with the right hands. Then Goldberg smiled. Flair glared at him. Goldberg put his hands up and SHOVED Flair, toppling backwards several times. Flair winced in pain and as soon as he got up he got a sudden SPEAR as Goldberg exploded from the corner. Goldberg covered for the 1-2-3.

Result – Steve McMichael and Goldberg by pin

Match Reaction = 80.1%

Match Quality = 73.2%

Overall Rating = 76.7%

After the match, Bret Hart pulled Flair from the ring to save him from further harm. Hart frowned at Flair a little as he barely was able to support his weight in order to get him to walk to the back. Everyone could tell that Hart didn’t like being put in this situation, on the losing end of things. McMichael and Goldberg could barely contain their satisfaction. McMichael laughed and raised the stern Goldberg’s arm in celebration. Booooo.

Sting vs. Randy Savage for the WCW Heavyweight Title

Randy Savage came out with a stern expression, standing at ringside ignoring the fans to prove it. When the World Champion came out, the crowd stood up and cheered for him, but the dull roar wasn’t quite as loud as that for Flair. Almost even though. Sting shrugged off his title and the black trenchcoat, then just stood on the outside. Sting stepped forward and glared up at him. Savage jumped to the outside and attacked him.

Sting took the blows, summoning up the power of Sylvester Stallone as Rocky and took all the hits. Savage pounded Sting, kicked Sting, then threw him into the railing. Savage pounded on him some more. Sting was down. Savage rolled Sting into the ring and Sting wasn’t moving. Savage covered and Sting kicked out at one! Sting stood up, leaping to his feet and hulked up, if you’ll escuse the expression. Savage was shocked! Sting reared back and clocked Savage, then chopped him like Flair and scoop slammed him down.

Sting clotheslined Savage as soon as he tried to get up, then covered for a 1-2. Hall got up on the apron but as soon as Sting turned around to address him, Hall dropped down. Hall begged off. Savage came up behind and attacked Sting. Savage raked the back of Sting, then pinned him in the corner and pummelled him with right hands. Sting came out of the corner and fought back, but Savage clocked him and hit a sideslam. Savage covered for a 1-2. After Sting kicked out, he broke out of headlock quickly and clotheslined Savage again. Sting kicked at his leg and then it looked like he might go for the Scorpion Deathlock.

Suddenly, EDDIE GUERRERO came down to the ring with Miss Elizabeth. Savage got to the ropes so the lock couldn’t be applied and realized that Elizabeth was there. He immediately slid to the outside and confronted Guerrero with some angry shouts. He tried to grab Elizabeth but she wasn’t budging. Unexpectedly, HOLLYWOOD HOGAN walked down to ringside and separated the two. He redirected Savage back to the ring. Hogan then turned around to argue with Guerrero. Savage got back in the ring and barely avoided being counted out.Back in the ring, Savage beat on Sting with ferocity, kicking at him. As he bounced off the ropes, Guerrero tripped him up! Guerrero raised his hands as if saying that it was an accident! Hogan stalked over to Guerrero, but didn’t do anything. Hogan smiled at Guerrero knowingly then laughed and shook hands with him! Sting locked on the Scorpion Deathlock in the middle of the ring. Savage struggled in pain!!

With surprise, The Outsiders and Syxx quickly ran down to the ring because supposedly they were in support of Savage. But they stopped short and didn’t attack Hogan or Guerrero. Savage had no choice but to tap out!

Result – Sting by submission

After the match, Savage shrugged off the pain, exitting the ring to attack Guerrero. Suddenly, The Outsiders and Syxx walked over not to break it up but to attack Savage. Guerrero, Nash, Hall, Hogan and Syxx all put the boots to Randy Savage. Nash powerbombed Savage on the outside, then they carried him back to the ring in order to deliver more punishment. Guerrero went to the top rope and pulled off his shirt. He was wearing NEW WORLD ORDER colors underneath. He frogsplashed Savage. Eddie laughed and celebrated with the Outsiders, having successfully completed their setup. Hogan gave him a legdrop. Some junk was thrown in the ring. Hogan hugged Nash and they reunited, having set up Savage perfectly.

Suddenly, Sting rushed back to the match and the heels scattered. On the outside, Hogan raised the arm of Guerrero in celebration but the cheers werent for him but for Sting in the ring. He was holding up the World Title! He then pointed out toward the nWo, his stoic gaze never wavering.

Match Reaction = 76.6%

Match Quality = 64.4%

Overall Rating = 72.7%

74.4 Overall

18,597 Attending

WCW recieved 568,453 viewers for WCW WorldWide (decrease of 16,156 viewers from previous show); WCW recieved 336,966 buys (0.77 buyrate) for Superbrawl

Edited by Nottavictim

Cool show. I didn't expect Eddie Guerrero to join the nWo or to turn on Chavo. Hogan coming back was cool also. Looks like jstarr won the prediction competition. Man I'm shit at those.

I have just finished reading (or re-reading in some parts) this in it's entirety.

Damn good so far, and I can't wait for more revelations about the book.

I have to wonder if turns out to be R.D. Reynolds forthcoming "Death of WCW" book!!!

Yes, I to wonder if it is that said book. But then again, the cover of RD's book aint yellow so I dunno. Maybe its a yellow version or somethin?

Anyways the PPV was fantastic. Alas I didnt see the unmasking of Hangman. Oh well we will find out soon who that mysterious masked man is from the dungeon of doom once he takes off his own mask. Or maybe someone will take it out for him.

2WRESTLING.COM PREVIEW

WCW MONDAY NITRO

Well, SuperBrawl VIII came and went to a good response, however the war still rages. WCW recieved 336,966 buys (0.77 buyrate) for Superbrawl VIII, versus almost 323,000 buys for the WWF's In Your House: Blaze of Glory held on February 1st. A slim margin considering the WCW's stacked card. No comment was made from WCW staff, only to say they were happy with what they had produced.

As it stands, SuperBrawl could be considered very much a transitional PPV for WCW. Sting remained World Champion over Randy Savage, but Hollywood Hogan returned and seems to have reunited the nWo against Savage. Other feuds might be carried over, as well. It seems as though Savage was setup from the beginning, by Hogan, The Outsiders and new nWo member, Eddie Guerrero. As if stealing Miss Elizabeth wasnt enough of a devastating blow, The Outsiders feigned loyalty and ushered in a false sense of security that Hogan later used to screw Savage out of the World Title.

Speaking of Titles, a NEW United States Champion was crowned at SuperBrawl, that of Buff Bagwell. 29 year old Bagwell enjoyed one of his first standout title wins by beating DDP in a contraversial fashion. It seemed as though DDP was injured during the match and it has been confirmed that he suffered a concussion after being dropped on his head. DDP nearly had to be stretchered from the arena.

SuperBrawl also strained others as well, such as Steve Williams, who was victimized by the DUNGEON despite winning the match against the mysterious Hangman. But who is the Hangman? Williams not only promised to not let the attack hold him down, but said after SuperBrawl that the fight would be taken to each and every Dungeon member.

As far as matches go, there was no harder match than that competed in by Ric Flair. It seemed to many viewers that Ric Flair was not only slowly, but breaking down. This week, BRET HART has a few words for Ric Flair. The question is, what will Hart have to say about losing?

WCW Nitro

February 15th, 1998

Mortis vs. Norman Smiley

The Faces of Fear vs. ADB & Scott Montgomery

Raven vs. Dean Malenko

Lex Luger & The Giant vs. The Outsiders

WCW has revealed the preliminary poster for Uncensored 1998 to be held on March 15th from Mobile, Alabama:

user posted image

UNCENSORED: NO RULES, NO MERCY...

Edited by Nottavictim

Chapter Six: The Five Minute Preshow

Eric Bischoff tucked a certain, yellow book under his arm and with a confident smile, walked from the dressing room toward the gathering area. The dark matches were already finishing for yet another Nitro and the show was about to begin. While Arn Anderson gave his usual pre-show pep talk to those gathered near the curtain, Bischoff reminded himself of the segments going on tonight.

He tipped up his chin and noticed something, or rather someone coming right at him. With a glitzy swagger, Bret Hart approached Bischoff and held out his hands.

"Well?" Hart asked him.

"Well what?" Bischoff replied confusedly.

"Eric, it's five minutes to the start of the show. I dont even know what I'm doing tonight."

"I thought we were going with the speech we talked about last week," Eric reminded him.

"I dont think we even talked about a speech, Eric. See, this is what I'm talking about--"

"Alright, alright! Here, listen...this is good stuff. Imagine this, you just lost a match tagging with Ric Flair, right? You go out there and rip into him. Go heel for a while there and then setup a match with him for next week."

"No offense or anything Eric, but I'm not ripping Flair. They'll kill me for that. That's too much heat."

"That's the /point/. You're the bad guy."

"I thought we agreed I was going to be the babyface for a while," Bret pointed out.

"Fine. You talk about...um...how you were disappointed. Try to put him over instead."

"Well whatever, I think the show's starting. I'm up first right?" Bret asked confusedly.

"No no, Lex is up first. You really need to start coming earlier, Bret."

Bret just shook his head and looked at Bischoff with a smirk, "What's that?" he asked, looking at the yellow book.

"Uh...just a book," Bischoff answered, "About wrestling."

"Oh. Where'd you get it?" Hart asked curiously.

"I'm not sure actually. It was left backstage."

"Really. Well, how do you know it's yours then?" Hart asked.

And that was a good question. Where DID this book come from. Eric Bischoff would get to the bottom of it, because free advice is never free.

2WRESTLING.COM Review of MONDAY NITRO

February 16th, 1998

Lex & Sting

The fireworks hit on the stage and the arena erupted with noise. It was time for Monday Nitro, LIVE from Mobile, Alabama. Lex Luger’s music hit in the arena and he walked out toward the ring, high-fiving fans as he came down. Once he was in the ring, he flexed for a moment and then took a mic.

“Listen, I didn’t come out here to rock the boat, but let me tell you something. I’ve been watching things very closely lately and I’m getting sick of what’s going on. You see, these guys---the New World Order, well they’ve got a tight unit. They kick people around when they want---hell, they do everything as a group. They walk in and beat up guys like DDP, Booker T, whoever, whenever the heck they feel like it. And we don’t do a damn thing about it!” he shouted.

“And this is directed at you, Sting! You’re the WCW World Champion, but you disappeared for months when we were fighting these guys, hell you disappear all the time. You don’t come down out of the rafters very often Sting and lemme tell you something, you shouldn’t be waging a one man war. Sting, I’m not out here demanding…I’m out here asking…for a change. Come down out of the rafters and start saying stuff that MEANS something, Sting. But more than any of that, what I want you to do is stand WITH us, as leader of Team WCW---a team that can fight together! Shouldn’t we help each other? If you’re not man enough to lead us, then you better take off that belt and place it right here in the middle of the ring! You hear me? Where the hell are you? C’mon already---”

Apparently, Sting had been sufficiently called out when his dark, brooding music hit in the ring. He came out on stage and the crowd popped for him. He was wearing the World Championship. Sting walked down to the ring and entered, then went right up to Luger. Sting looked him in the eye for several moments, then stepped back and removed the title. He looked at the title for several more moments, in an aching, dramatic moment of contemplation. He then simply placed it on his shoulder. Sting stared down Luger.

“Sting…you’re my best friend----hell, you’re the best wrestler in this company. Are you gonna do the right thing or not? Say something!” Luger shouted frustrated. Luger offered the mic to Sting.

Sting took the mic but then dropped it to the mat. Sting turned and walked out of the ring, back up the ramp. The crowd began chanting STING! STING! STING!

“Sting! Sting! C’mon man…Sting! Come back, man! Don’t do this alone!” Luger shouted. Sting didn’t come back. The show cut away to the announcers, who discussed SuperBrawl. Clips were shown.

Overall Rating = 76.4%

Mortis vs. Norman Smiley

I think we’ve reached the bottom of the barrel as far as the popularity of Mortis goes. Anyway, I think I could hear some jeers as he came out with James Vandenberg. Smiley wasn’t getting much of a reaction either, even for the Wiggle. The announcers began putting over the Wiggle for the first time. The Brain contemplated the physics of the dance.

The match began when Mortis tied up Smiley in a side headlock, then used a bulldog takedown. The slow match continued for several moments until Smiley was able to work out of an armbar and reverse it into an armdrag toss. Smiley followed up with a standing dropkick that rocked Mortis, then the two traded right hands. Mortis bullrushed Smiley into the corner to try to stop the momentum, but Smiley used the turnbuckle to jump on his shoulders and roll through for a 1-2. Mortis picked up Smiley by the collar and slapped him around a bit for that attempt, then Smiley ducked a clothesline. Smiley bounced off the ropes, slid through the legs and hit an inverted DDT. He then did the Wiggle and an elbow drop for a 1-2-3. Must have been the Wiggle Elbow or something. Erf.

Result - Norman Smiley by pin

Match Reaction = 20.8%

Match Quality = 70.8%

Overall Rating = 31.2%

Mortis unmasked

After the match, Mortis couldn’t believe that he had lost. He used the ropes to stand up as Vandenberg berated him on the outside. He snatched the chain leash from Vandenberg and whipped Smiley with it just as he was celebration. Mortis snapped the chain over his head and whipped the back of Smiley. Now that actually looked painful.

Suddenly, FIT FINLEY ran down and bulled over Vandenberg in order to slide into the ring to make the save. Mortis turned around and whipped the chain at Finley, but it was caught! Finley tugged on the chain and clotheslined Mortis down hard. He then raised a fist and called for some more punishment. The crowd clapped some, thankfully alive. Finley hit a piledriver on Mortis, then wrenched his mask off. The blackened make-up of the light-skinned man underneath made him look pale and clammy. He seemed to have long hair as well, that came down over his neck.

Finley held up the rubbery Mortis mask for everyone to see, then slid from the ring and left. As soon as Mortis awoke, he blinked his eyes in surprise and rolled over, hiding his face in his hands. Vandenberg rushed in to help him, but Mortis clobbered him and threw him from the ring like a rag-doll. His dark, black eyes widened and glared at Vandenberg. He stalked from the ring, heading up the ramp.

Overall Rating = 42.0%

The Faces of Fear vs. ADB & Scott Montgomery

This was a garbage match that where I really wanted to see cruiserweights. The program was thrown backstage to MIKE TENAY, where he was interviewed and said that he would have a special announcement on this week’s THUNDER. He said it was big. Anyway, when we cut back to the arena, “The Muscle” Arthur Dexter Bradley was grinning like Buff Bagwell. The fake “Dr. Death” was also standing there, looking entirely too serious, as Meng and The Barbarian came down.

Meng slid in and went bananas on Jimmy Hart’s team. Hart jumped up and down on the outside, yelling at the troops. ADB tried to pound back on Meng, but was trapped in the corner. Meng summoned up the power of a samoan Ric Flair and hit a series of knife-edge chops on ADB. Then, he karate chopped him in the neck. As if choking, ADB went down. The Barbarian was tagged in, but ADB was apparently playing possum, because he hit him low. Too low really. He got a warning from the ref. ADB tagged in Montgomery. Montgomery suplexed the Barbarian and then stomped a mudhole in him.

Suddenly, STEVE WILLIAMS ran down to ringside with a STEEL CHAIR. He chased Jimmy Hart around the ring in what seemed like a keystone cops rerun. Jimmy Hart got up on the apron to protest to the referee. Montgomery reached over and tried grabbing Williams as he ran by but ate only a facefull of steel chair as soon as Williams turned around. The Barbarian covered for the 1-2-3.

Result - The Faces of Fear by pin

Match Reaction = 41.1%

Match Quality = 66.7%

Overall Rating = 48.1%

Five minutes w/ Jimmy

After the match, Meng entered in again and tossed ADB out with his partner. Hart tried to escape but The Barbarian grabbed him by the collar.

The bandaged Williams took a mic and said, “You wanna play dirty, Jimmy! Well, guess what, I think you owe me five minutes!” he shouted.

Williams grabbed Jimmy and put him in a hammerlock, flapping him around like a ragdoll. The crowd applauded. Williams then put Jimmy on his shoulder and took him to the turnbuckle. He backdropped Jimmy from the turnbuckle! Ouch! Williams then ripped off his rose-collared suit jacket and whipped him with it. Jimmy flopped around like a fish, skreetching in embarrassing pain. Suddenly, THE HANGMAN ran down and pulled Jimmy Hart to safety. He pointed threateningly at Williams, but Dr. Death was in too good a mood to be dampered by the masked man.

Steve Williams smiled for the first time in WCW and shook hands with the Faces of Fear.

Overall Rating = 67.3%

Raven vs. Dean Malenko

The Flock escorted Raven down to the ring as things got deafly serious. Raven sat in the corner placidly and looked on as Kidman and Scotty Rigged riled up the crowd with some hand gestures. STILL cruiserweight champion, Dean Malenko, then came down and stood at ringside under The Flock cleared out.

When we finally got a start to the match, Raven ambushed Malenko as he came in, putting the boots to him immediately. Malenko pulled the legs out from under his opponent and worked the leg, pummelling it with stomps. Raven sold it like a champ. After a few minutes of working Raven on the mat, Malenko then summoned up the power of Flair and tried to lock in a figure-four. The crowd responded to this with praise. Raven kicked at Malenko and skittered away. He hot-shotted Malenko in the gut, then got a lucky DDT in. Raven called Kidman over and as he distracted the ref, some of the Flock took turns choking Dean.

Raven crushed Dean’s windpipe against the middle rope, then leaned into it. He then distracted the ref again and let the stronger Van Hammer choke Dean. Suddenly, BOOKER T ran down to the ring and jumped on the apron to alert the ref that Raven was cheating! Mickey Jay waved his arms and apparently didn’t believe him. Booker T was ordered to the back! The wronged Booker T walked around and took the law into his own hands, driving off the Flock with punches. Van Hammer took a toss into the guard rail. Raven jumped out and started going at it with Booker T! The two traded right hands. The referee threw this one out.

Result – No contest

Match Reaction = 63.8%

Match Quality = 83.2%

Overall Rating = 69.0%

Blackmail revealed

After the match, Raven slid into the ring and escaped Booker T on the other side. Suddenly, TYRONE stalked down and joined Raven at ringside. Tyrone stared threateningly at Booker. Booker T took a microphone and said, “Hey, didn’t yo punkasses get enough beatin’, huh? Why don’t you stop runnin’ and get in here right now, suckah!”

“Booker T, I got somethin’ but it aint a beatin. I got some news for all you Booker T fans,” Tyrone began, “I’ve known you for a long time Booker and I aint never seen anybody as stupid looking as you do, dancin’ around here for these fans. Raisin’ the frickin’ roof, playin’ like you’re from the street.”

Booker T went to the ropes and pointed to Tyrone, “You never been a friend, all you been is a liar and a cheat.”

“Well, lemme tell you something, I’m not lyin’ when I say that you aint from the streets. You’re from Texas! You’re from Houstan, Texas. And this guy right here---this guy you’re cheerin’ for, he drives a BMW. Hell, he’s got more stashed away than any of you chumps that like him so much. You get paid to tell people you’re from Harlem but you’re not! Hell, your name ain’t even Booker T! Gimmie a break. My mothah has more streets in her than you.”

Booker T put his hands on his hips and smirked, not knowing what to say.

Raven took the mic and said, “And there’s more we can say about you Booker. Or…or, you can put that Title on the line against one of the Flock next week. I’ll tell you what, if you win, you can go home with your persona intact. But if you lose, then we will personally bring your world crashing down.”

“Bring it on, suckah. I got nothin’ to hide. And that’s all I gotta say ‘bout that!” Booker T yelled angrily.

Overall Rating = 60.6%

Eddie Guerrero vs. Scott Steiner

Guerrero came down with a new swagger, wearing a new nWo shirt. Scott Steiner came out next. He cut his hair! Unbelievable. New fashion statements in WCW. Steiner tried to intimidate Guerrero with a flex but he wasn’t having any of it. They locked up, then Steiner muscled Guerrero away, tossing him down. Huge reaction for that. Geezus. Eddie looked around, as if in shock.

Guerrero approached Steiner again tentatively and the two locked up. At first, Guerrero backed Steiner toward the ropes but Steiner summoned internal strength and muscled Guerrero away again. He flexed and glared at Guerrero to another good reaction. Guerrero slapped the ring and summoned the power of Mick Foley, going full bore into Steiner, clotheslining both himself and Steiner from the ring. Guerrero kicked Steiner in the side while he was prone on the ground. The battle continued on the outside for several minutes.

Suddenly, RICK STEINER ran down and pulled Eddie off of Scott, breaking up the melee. Guerrero looked ready to clock Rick, but Scott ambushed him and tumbled him into the ringpost. Scott then shoved Rick too! He yelled at him! They argued for several moments. Scott went for the pin, but Eddie Guerrero reversed it and rolled him up for the 1-2-3. Eddie was playing possum! He laughs at Steiner, then barely escaped a beating.

Result - Eddie Guerrero by pin

Match Reaction = 73.7%

Match Quality = 57.6%

Overall Rating = 74.6%

After the match, Scott Steiner put his hands on his hips in disbelief. He slid out and pushed Rick again, screaming at him in frustration. Rick shook his head and tried to walk off, but then Scott stopped him. Scott clocked his own brother! Scott put the boots to Rick Steiner! Scott threw Rick into the ring apron, then grabbed a steel chair and destroyed him with it. Officials had to run out to stop the one-sided melee. The crowd was actually boo’ing Scott!

Overall Rating = 66.4%

Buff proposed to Madusa

After commercial, we were taken to the ring where Gene Okerlund was standing with Buff Bagwell. He had the US Title on his shoulder.

“Buff Bagwell, you pulled off a surprising win against Diamond Dallas Page at SuperBrawl and I think I speak for everyone when I say that no one saw it coming!”

“Nobody saw it coming? Mean Gene, /I/ saw it coming!” Buff said with a grin. Madusa clinged to him and laughed.

“Gene, I won the match fair and square. In the middle of the ring. And I guess we figured out who the better man is, right? Me! Because I’m Buff and I’m the stuff!”

“Alright alright! Buff Bagwell, you say it’s fair but I think we all saw Diamond Dallas Page get hurt during that match. If things were really fair, you’d wrestle him again in a rematch!”

“A rematch? A Rematch?? Gene! Forget it! I’ve already beat him! Haha! Nobody wants to see DDP get hurt again. He’d be suckin’ his lunch through a straw if he ever stepped in the ring again, Gene. And I wouldn’t be surprised if he never, ever challenged Buff the Stuff again. You know Gene, I bet you’re wonderin’ what’s next for me, huh?”

“Well actually, no I---“ Gene began, but Buff took the mic and smiled, “Well I plans. Madusa…Maddy…”

Buff looked at Madusa and pulled something from his pocket, “Maddy…listen…” he began and knelt down. “Will you marry me?”

Madusa nearly mugged Bagwell as he agreed, bowling him over with a big hug. Aww. The crowd boo’d that sappy crap. Suddenly, the music of DIAMOND DALLAS PAGE came on in the arena. DDP didn’t appear. Bagwell looked around, as if scared, then suddenly realized that the music had broken his calm persona.

Overall Rating = 52.2%

Bret Hart vs. Rick Martel

Was there some serious wrestling on this program? Yes, I say. Rick Martel stretched out and jumped in place as he waited for Bret Hart in the ring. Some of the crowd stood up for Hart, although I think it might have been out of respect. Hart came down to the ring and shrugged off his Hitman jacket. Martel then smirked and said a few words to Hart. Hart advanced on him, but Martel vacated the ring! Martel shook his head and didn’t seem to like that.

Bret Hart stood back like the honest guy he was and motioned Martel into the ring. After he slowed slid in, the two locked up traditionally. Hart used a snapmare takedown on Martel, then snapped a kick into his back. He used several more sequentially. Martel turned and put a shoulder into Hart, then hotshotted him with an uppercut. Hart stepped back against the ropes, but Martel used that to his advantage to his a few raised knees to jab Hart in the stomach. Hart then blocked a punch and whipped Martel off the ropes, clotheslining him down on the return. Hart put the boots to Martel and asserted dominance for several minutes.

After Hart worked the leg over, Bret Hart signalled for something and it was a tribute to Ric Flair. Hart locked in a figure four leglock and Martel tapped out!

Result - Bret Hart by submission

Match Reaction = 71.2%

Match Quality = 84.8%

Overall Rating = 73.8%

Bret’s advice to Flair

Bret Hart leaned against the ropes as he took a mic and said, “Ric Flair, let me tell you something, you don’t have anything to be ashamed of. You never backed down from anything in your life and maybe, just maybe, you were afraid of letting down these fans at SuperBrawl. When you tagged me in instead of beating Goldberg yourself, I saw it in your face. Ric, things change. People get older. But you still came out there, hobbled leg, bruised shoulder, beaten pride and more. Hell, I’ve been there myself. You and I both have wrestled guys twice our size and STILL come out on top. But if you’re recuperating somewhere, Flair…if you’re sitting at home---you shouldn’t be. You shouldn’t give up without a fight, no matter how hurt you are. Goldberg’s the biggest jerk this side of the business, but let me tell you something else---”

Suddenly, GOLDBERG’S pounding music erupted in the building. I’ve never seen the crowd pay attention to a segment this closely in months, especially when Goldberg came out by himself. He stalked toward the ring. Hart dropped the mic, pulled the straps off his shoulders and looked ready to fight!

Goldberg slid into the ring and went right up to Hart, nose to nose. These men hate each other. The crowd murmured for a fight. Some went WE WANT FLAIR! Some chanted for Hart. Goldberg stepped back and put his hands on his hips. He picked the mic off the floor.

Goldberg smiled viciously and looked at Hart, “Hey Bret….you’re next!” Goldberg walked off. Oh what a jerk. He denied us our fight.

Overall Rating = 95.9%

Eddie joined officially

Well, we were saved an entire show bleeding of New World Order, but we got it here. Eddie Guerrero, Hollywood Hogan, Syxx, The Outsiders and most of the other members went down to the ring. Hogan took the mic, of course.

“Hey dude,” Hogan said, pointing at Eddie, “We got here the biggest guys in wrestling, brother. And I guess we all owe you a handshake for playing along, huh? Haha!”

Hogan walked over and shook Eddie’s hand, laughing in evil pleasure.

Eddie took the mic and said, “Randy Savage didn’t know what hit him, essa. And what we got right here, right now, we can beat anybody in wrestling, /brother/. Arriba la rasa!”

Eddie pointed over at Scott Hall and continued, “You know what. Yo Scott, yo chico. I always wanted to do somethin’, essa. Listen…ahem AHEM!” he said, clearing his throat, “Hey yo! I gotsa question for all you people!”

Good lord, Eddie was doing a survery, “Me and the boys here were just wonderin’ somethin. We’re doin’ a survey! We gotsta know…did you come here to see….dubbya see dubbya?” he asked. Most of the people cheered.

Eddie then raised the mic, but smiled and paused. He handed it to Scott Hall, who smiled and chuckled, “Hey yo! You all came to see the N…….W……..O, didn’t ya?” The crowd boooo’d

“Haha! Yeah! Yeah, I thought so. Chalk another one up for the good guys!” Hall said.

Overall Rating = 71.0%

Lex Luger & The Giant vs. The Outsiders for the WCW Tag-Team Titles

Eventually, I believe they let Lex Luger and The Giant come out. Luger leaned against the ropes as the huge Giant stood in the middle of the ring intimidatedly. Hogan conferenced dramatically with some of the nWo, then Hall entered the ring. He smirked at The Giant and pointed to Luger. Hall wanted Luger! The Giant slapped in Luger!

Luger charged Hall and clotheslined him down hard. Luger put the boots to Hall. Nash reached over and tried to clip Luger, but missed. Luger glared at him and didn’t look too kindly at that cheat. Luger stalked toward Nash, but Hall ambushed him from behind. Hall tagged in Nash in order to double-team Luger. Hogan handed Hall something. It was a bent wire hanger. Nash tagged in Hall, then distracted the ref so he could use it. Ouch. Luger took a whip of the hanger off the chest. He goes down on the mat. Now the crowd began chanting WE WANT STING! WE WANT STING!

Do they want Sting? Yes they do, even several more minutes in. Now Luger was looking for a tag because getting choked with the big boot of Kevin Nash was not the situation to be in. Luger wasn’t even able to get out of the corner until Hall tagged back in. Luger seemed to get a second wind, blocking each punch in succession until he snapped a jab right into Hall’s chin. Luger exploded out of the corner, picked Hall up on his shoulder and slammed him down in the hardest sidewalk slam I’ve ever seen. It took all he had. Luger went down. He crawled toward The Giant. Hot tag to the Giant! Hogan and Eddie pulled Hall toward Nash. Hey, that’s cheating.

The Giant clotheslined Nash, clotheslined Hall, then clotheslined Hennig, clotheslined Eddie and other members of the nWo as they entered. Of course, Hogan got the better of The Giant with a punch and a low blow. He took off the belt and whipped the Giant with it. Luger tried to help him, but was thrown from the ring. The ref was thrown out.

Result – The Giant & Luger by DQ

Match Reaction = 70.3%

Match Quality = 57.6%

Overall Rating = 73.4%

Suddenly, the crowd went deafly quiet as all the lights went out! They up again and STING was standing dead in the middle of the ring! Everyone went absolutely ballistic for his classic gag. Sting clobbered Nash with the bat, clobbered Eddie with the bat and then turned it on Hogan. He tossed Hogan from the ring! Luger used the ropes to get up and looked shocked, as if not expecting Sting to be there. Sting offered him a handshake! They shook hands. They attended to The Giant together. Was this team WCW?

The TV viewing figures for last night are now in: WCW recieved 907,448 viewers for WCW Monday Nitro (increase of 176,619 viewers from previous show)

Edited by Nottavictim