War Novels - Any Recommendations?

Fitzy

So, I have read two Tim O'Brien books "The Things They Carried" and "Going After Cacciato" and I really, really liked them. I am looking for similar books, in that they are based on real wars, but still ficition.

I am probably going to pick up some other Tim O'Brien books as he is a really good writer, but if you have read any of his and would like to recommend some, then go ahead.

Damnit, I was just about to reccomend Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts series, but got foiled by actually reading the post and realising you wanted fictional stories about real wars, not fictional stories about fictional wars happening in the 41st millenium. Bugger.

Oops, looks like I reccomended him anyway :shifty:

I mean, there's not a lot of difference, when you think about it.

Damnit, I was just about to reccomend Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts series, but got foiled by actually reading the post and realising you wanted fictional stories about real wars, not fictional stories about fictional wars happening in the 41st millenium. Bugger.

Tell me about the series, without spoiling anything, you've got my interest.

One that I like, although also not based on a real war, is still realistic and in present times.

It's called "The Tomorrow Series" by John Marsden, with 7 books plus 1 after the war, is about Australia being invaded and a group of teenagers who aren't caught essentially surviving and doing what they can to help win back their country.

Has quite a bit of fighting/blowing shit up, if that's what you're after.

Go here if you want more info

For older war stuff, I can't think of anyone better than Bernard Cornwell.

His Hundred Years War series (The Archer's Tale, Vagabond, and Heretic) are all awesome, and his Sharpe's Rifles series is classic.

War And Peace by Leo Tolstoy is good.

Pretty long but great writing.

It's based on the Prussian wars in the Napoleonic era.

Though the book IS shared between times of war and times of peace (hence the name)

I'm a big fan of Bernard Cornwell for Sharpe mainly but his US Civil War books are decent enough.

Immediate Action and Bravo Two Zero are great for real life SAS stuff.

Tell me about the series, without spoiling anything, you've got my interest.

"Slaughterhouse 5" by Kurt Vonnegut is a good book about a war and the weird characters occupying it. Heavily anti-war by it's message but a good book nonetheless.

You should also track down a book called "The Unknown Soldier" by a Finnish writer Vaino Linna. I know you didn't want any non-US books, but it's an extremely good novel about the Winter War the Finnish fought against the overwhelming Soviet odds.

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks.

Birdsong is a really moving novel and is set in World War One. Perhaps not entirely exciting in the way that there is a huge amount of action every page but thats not what the book goes for. The book holds your attention incredibly well and really made me feel an attachment to the characters contained within.

Guest TheTokenWhiteGuy

"Johnny Got His Gun" by Dalton Trumbo is a good war novel, made in 1939, with a big anti war message. It's about a guy who had his arms, legs, and face blown off in WWI. He can't talk, hear, eat on his own, breath on his own, drink on his own. I belive there was a movie made about it. You can read a large exerpt here.

Guest Morecello

Catch 22 was a good book. I read this book about the Korean war which was really good but I can't remember the name or the author of it. It was called "The Golden Fall" or something like that. I'll look it up.