Book Thread

Ananas

Not a novel, but I'm reading The Complete Headbanging History Of Heavy Metal.

Ian Christe? I have that book. It's pretty good, but Christe puts way too much focus on Metallica throughout the book. Yes, yes, we realize they were key in the 80's thrash scene, but he tries to relate everything back to Metallica.

I also have Lords of Chaos, but that's more about black metal & norse mythology than anything.

Where the hell did you find that book? I've been looking for awhile and haven't found it, I don't want to buy it off the internet because my parents aren't the best people when it comes to buying that kind of stuff. If only I had my own credit card.

And yeah, the Headbanging History of Heavy Metal, while being relatively informative, puts way to much focus on Metallica and not enough on numerous other acts of the time.

Hastings.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading the Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn right now, and I'm on Dark Force Rising, the second in the trilogy. Finished reading Heir to the Empire last week, and I'm absolutley loving this series. It's brilliantly written, and Zahn really seems to love the Star Wars universe, or at least have a total grasp on what attracted people to the films in the first place.

I'm reading it slowly though, like a chapter a day at some times because that's how I read books usually (seen as I spend a lot of time on the computer and whatever) but it's just an awesome book. I've also got the Jedi Academy Trilogy to read after this, so me got lots of reading coming.

I'm reading the Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn right now, and I'm on Dark Force Rising, the second in the trilogy. Finished reading Heir to the Empire last week, and I'm absolutley loving this series. It's brilliantly written, and Zahn really seems to love the Star Wars universe, or at least have a total grasp on what attracted people to the films in the first place.

I'm reading it slowly though, like a chapter a day at some times because that's how I read books usually (seen as I spend a lot of time on the computer and whatever) but it's just an awesome book. I've also got the Jedi Academy Trilogy to read after this, so me got lots of reading coming.

If you like Zahn's Star Wars books check out Survivors Quest. It's what i'm reading now and it's been full of twists and turns since the beggining.

That's the one with Mara Jade and Luke on the cover isn't it? I've got that one as well, but it'll take me a while to get through the five I've still got before I get to that.

If you like Zahn's Star Wars books check out Survivors Quest. It's what i'm reading now and it's been full of twists and turns since the beggining.

That's the one with Mara Jade and Luke on the cover isn't it? I've got that one as well, but it'll take me a while to get through the five I've still got before I get to that.

Yes it does have Luke and Mara on the front. I recommend reading the other Zahn books first because he refers back to them alot and without the knowledge they'd be hard to understand.

I'm trying to read them in some semblance of an order. What other Star Wars books has Zahn written?

I finished Les Miz, Hitchhiker's Guide and Silent Bob Speaks yesterday. Les Miz is quite possibly the most fantastic book I've ever read. Its balance of political commentary, romance and action has everything the fiction loving political science major in me wants. I'd recommend this to anyone with patience (it's about 1450 pages, and of course translated into 19th century English) and a love for politics. The barricade scenes are about the best thing I've ever read in a book.

Hitchiker's Guide is another good one. Although it's pretty short (you could probably read through it in an hour or two) there's plenty of good stuff to be had, as the writer's wit shines through the entire time. Not so much recommended to the hardcore science fiction crowd, but definitely to fans of comedy.

Silent Bob Speaks is a decent read, but there's nothing new for hardcore fans of Kevin Smith. It consists of all his previously internet published writings for various magazines, along with one article that was never published (and with good reason). Smith is an incredibly witty man, but I think it comes through much more clearly in his movies than in his published works. Only recommended to the more devout followers.

I'm looking to pick up "Cosette", the reportedly blasphemous sequel to "Les Miz" that features previously killed off characters and a plot that contradicts Hugo's entire conclusion to the novel. Why am I trying to do that? Simple, I have nothing better to do.

Guest Ringmaster

I'm looking to pick up "Cosette", the reportedly blasphemous sequel to "Les Miz" that features previously killed off characters and a plot that contradicts Hugo's entire conclusion to the novel. Why am I trying to do that? Simple, I have nothing better to do.

I'm going through all of the Potter books which I have found to be much better than I thought they would be. I'm up to Goblet of Fire and should finish it off today.

Still left on my plate I have: The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Slaughterhouse-Five, and the Chronicles of Narnia.

In the last week I've read 'Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince' and managed to coax Benji into conversation about it, despite the fact he hates it As people haven't finished Harry Potter yet and I'm going to say spoiler things, then avec le spoiler tags.

On the book, I was suprised by who the Half-Blood Prince was as I expected Snape to die, by defending Dumbledore, thus breaking the Unbreakable Vow and dying. It can all only end with both Harry and Tom 'Voldermort' Marvolo Riddle dying.

I'm highly anticipating the 4th installment in my favorite fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire titled A Feast for Crows.  Unfortunately I haven't gotten confirmation of when the release is.

November 1st :(

I remember he promised to have the book out by the end of July. Now I need to find another fantasy series to hold me over until then more than likely.

Travels by Michael Crichton is a great book, entertaining and insightful. You should check it out. Right now I'm reading "Had Enough? A Handbook for Fighting Back" by James Carville, he's really a funny guy, espically to a liberal. After that I'm going to read the Ric Flair autobiography, so that'll be fun.

I'm highly anticipating the 4th installment in my favorite fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire titled A Feast for Crows.  Unfortunately I haven't gotten confirmation of when the release is.

Edited by GhostMachine

In the last week I've read 'Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince' and managed to coax Benji into conversation about it, despite the fact he hates it As people haven't finished Harry Potter yet and I'm going to say spoiler things, then avec le spoiler tags.

Yeah, only so I can further mock the horrible plot and Jesus rip off.

Adrian Fletcher & Ryder Syvertsen's Psychic Spawn. It's a pretty decent book, I can't explain the plot, but it involves biogenetics and nazis. <_<;;

I remember he promised to have the book out by the end of July. Now I need to find another fantasy series to hold me over until then more than likely.

Ever read the Amber series by Roger Zelazny? (The first book is Nine Princes In Amber)

Or the Xanth series by Piers Anthony?

You might want to give one of those a try.

I may, I've got to first finish up Keyes' Age of Unreason, which I had to stop temporarily to wrap up summer reading for school. After that is when I have some time to start a series and possibily finish it before Crows. I might check out one of those, or dive into some Tad Williams or Robin Hobb. I'm thinking of doing Farseer Trilogy.

Guest Chuck Berry

Christ, NO Hunter S. Thompson recommendations yet?

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign trail '72

Rum Diary

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Hell's Angels

READ YOU UNCULTURED SWINES