Book Thread

Ananas

Having just got back into reading, I've managed to work my way through a few books in the past month or two. First was Vol.1 of Ian Kershaw's biography of Hitler, which was pretty good, although too detailed, which caused some parts to be a little boring. Oh, and before that there was another book about the Berlin bunker.

After that I moved on to the first two books of the Star Wars: New Jedi Order series, namely Vector Prime and Dark Tide: Onslaught. Both were very enjoyable, the first more so, and even though I don't really read EU material, I had no problem keeping up with the story and any characters that have been introduced since Return of the Jedi.

Next was The Rough Guide to Bob Dylan. It's a pocket-sized book, with the first half being a biography and the second focusing on Dylan's work in music and films, as well as the best bootlegs etc. It was a great read, as I found out everything I needed to know without getting bogged down in detail.

And right now I'm reading Shout!, which is a biography of The Beatles. I'm about 100 pages in, and it's been interesting thus far, as I'm finding out about their formative years, something I knew nothing about.

Due to a mass order from Play.com, I have another four books to read after Shout!:

1. Smile: Brian Wilson's lost masterpiece (Self-explanatory really)

2. Syd Barrett: Crazy Diamond (Biography of the man himself)

3. Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd (The Nick Mason Autobiography)

4. Hammer of the Gods (Led Zeppelin biography)

After these I'll hopefully get ahold of the next few New Jedi Order books, before finally reading Vol 2 of the Hitler biography, and I have Ricky Tomlinson's biography sitting around somewhere, which I may or may not take a look at.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Nuklear Age again, and have now started reading 'A Child Called It' by Dave Pelzer, basically a story of how he was viscously and I mean mental torturing too, as a child. And how he was called It instead of David and never regarded as a human by his mother.

There are three books in the storyline, the end one being called 'A Man Called Dave', I can't remember the second one.

Either way, it's a great story, must admit, it's an emotional book. Made me gasp, laugh and cry.

I am also reading the Star Wars New Jedi Order series, but right now I'm stuck between the two Dark Tide novels. Mainly because the library seems to be having a hard time keeping Ruin in and I have no money.

So far, I'm enjoying the series very much.

I finished Jose Canseco's Juiced yesterday. I think the man does have some truth to his words, even tough he is a little egotistical about himself.

I am starting to read J.R.R Tolkien's The Silmarillion, but I dont understand much of it, at least the first two chapters with the Gods at war and the shit. It is too confusing.

Finished reading Stephen King's It not too long ago. Now I'm not sure what to read. I reread several Star Wars novels and LotR. I need something else...

Also, if you haven't read anything by Neil Gaiman (think that's how it's spelt), you're missing out.

Over the course of the last two days, on a four-hour trip to Kentucky for my grandfather's funeral and another one headed back, I plowed through all of Sacred Stone by Clive Cussler. There are very few authors that I can read continuously over the course of a long trip, but Cussler is king among them. If you like adventure-type novels, kind of the Indiana Jones-meets-Tom Clancy sort of style, then Cussler's your man. One of his books was the basis for the movie Sahara, although I can only assume that the book was just TOO FUCKING BIG to make a decent movie, since I've been told that the film was shit. Much the same happened with the last film they made out of one of his books, Raise the Titanic. It took twenty years for Hollywood to regain some goodwill toward the man, and then it sounds like they fucked it up again. There's twenty-some books in three different series, and all are pretty damn fun reads.

Oh yeah, by the way, over here there's a book that has been catching my attention for the last couple of weeks as its being given a great degree of publicity and importance on bookstores. The book's called "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel" and it says on the back of the cover it's "an epic in the same style as Lord Of The Rings". Does anyone have it, or know if it's worth it? Because it's very expensive and I'd like to know if I'll be spending my money in something good or something crappy.

Yesterday I finished "Future Tense: The Coming World Order" by Gwynne Dyer. As far as I'm concerned it's probably the best impartial evaluation of the situation in Iraq, and it's conclusions are horrifying. People who want a refresher course in the split between Muslim Nationalists and Islamists, as well as an in depth look at the Neo-Conservatives and the Pax Americana project need to check this out.

I've just finished Mary Shelly's Classic Frankenstein....and it was a great book, although more complicated then I thought it was. Its a shame how the actual monster is portrayed in popular culture.

Edited by Laice_

Wow, I think I've set a record for starting and stopping a book. I got 6-8 pages into "Cosette", the sequel to "Les Miserables", and put the book down out of boredom to go make tea. Then I came back and, out of curiosity, read the book description on the sleave. The ridiculous character inconsistencies made me take my bookmark out and leave the book on the table. This isn't the "Les Miz" sequel, it's some delluded moron's attempt to improve on the greatest work of fiction ever written. Avoid at all costs.

P.S. The narrative also sucked.

Having just got back into reading, I've managed to work my way through a few books in the past month or two. First was Vol.1 of Ian Kershaw's biography of Hitler, which was pretty good, although too detailed, which caused some parts to be a little boring. Oh, and before that there was another book about the Berlin bunker.