WCW: The Fuscient Era

WCW Thunder

April 11th 2001

Announcers: Mike Tenay and Mike Sanders

The Thunder opening sequence rolls, the pyro hits and Tenay and Sanders welcome us to another episode of WCW Thunder. The two discuss what went down on Nitro – focusing on Stevie Ray’s return to save his brother – and remind us that tonight, Stevie Ray will face off with Lance Storm. To start the show, we’ve got some Cruiserweight action.

Singles Match:

Jamie Noble vs. Cash

Cash, formerly Kid Kash, makes his way out first, with the crowd really disinterested in him. Noble is out next, to moderate heat – and the commentators note that these two have a lot to prove, being that neither has appeared on TV in over a week. The bell rings and we’re underway.

Noble takes Cash down to the mat with a headlock takedown, and applies an arm-bar. Breaking the hold, Noble gets to his feet and ruthlessly stomps on Cash’s shoulder much to the crowd’s distaste. Cash rises to his feet and Noble attempts a hip toss, which is promptly reversed – allowing Cash to take Noble down to the mat. Bouncing off the ropes, Cash charges at Noble and executes a near-perfect dropkick. Quick cover gets a 2 count, not even close! The two lock up, and Noble takes the advantage – locking Cash in an arm-lock, before landing an elbow to Cash’s shoulder. Russian Legsweep from Noble, and a cover – 1…2.No! Cash bounces back up! Noble whips Cash into the corner and charges towards him. Hang on – Cash manages to move at the last second, sending Noble straight into the turnbuckle! The dazed Noble spins around, allowing Cash to hit a Hurricanrana, and then head straight for the top rope. Cash flies off the top with a Moonsault, but Noble manages to get his knees up – which severely winds Cash.

Both men are lying in the centre of the mat, forcing the referee to begin the count – he gets to 3, and Noble hops back to his feet. Legdrop to Cash! Cash is looking dizzy, and Noble whips him into the ropes, before using Cash’s momentum and hitting a Tilt-a-Whirl Backbreaker! Noble again makes a cover – 1…2..No! Cash gets a shoulder up! Clearly annoyed, Noble applies another arm-bar and Cash is clearly in pain. Surprisingly, Noble breaks the hold and allows Cash to get back to his feet. Arm Bar Takedown from Noble! It’s really not looking good for Cash here, Noble looks sharp and focused and, as long as the match stays on the mat, he has the advantage. Noble picks Cash up in the Shoulderbreaker position, but somehow Cash manages to get himself over Noble, and down his back. Dropkick to the back of Noble’s head! That causes Noble to slide straight out of the ring, clutching his head, allowing Cash to spring himself over the top rope and nail Noble with a Cross Body. Cash rolls Noble back into the ring, before rubbing his shoulder – Noble has really gone to work on it – and then following Noble in. Cover from Cash – 1…2..No! So Close!

Cash tries to apply a headlock, which Noble easily finds his way out of, taking Cash to the mat with a Fireman’s Carry. Crisp Dropkick from Noble! Cash finds himself locked in a Fujiwara Arm-Bar, but somehow rolls through. Both men are on their feet, but not for long as Cash charges towards Noble and finds himself on the wrong end of a Legsweep. A extremely groggy Cash finds his way back to his feet – Snap Suplex from Noble! Noble drags Cash back up by his hair, talking into his ear, which gives Cash enough time to boot Noble in the midsection before running against the ropes. Cash’s momentum is short lived, however, as Noble takes him down in a Crossface. Cash taps instantly.

Winner: Jamie Noble

O = 78%

CR = 57%

MQ = 100%

As Tenay and Sanders discuss how smart Noble was, as he worked over Cash’s shoulder, it becomes clear that Noble isn’t done here – he really wants to make an impact. Dragging Cash back up, he hits a Brainbuster! The bell keeps on ringing as Noble climbs to the top rope and lands a Diving Headbutt! Noble smirks, before heading back up the ramp as Mike Sanders complements him on his new mean streak. We’re headed to commercial.

[Commercial Break]

Swallowing Pride:

We head backstage to the Magnificent Seven’s locker-room. As per normal, there seems to be a huge amount of tension – with Ric Flair and Scott Steiner sitting on different sides of the room. Bagwell, Luger and Animal are again playing cards whilst Jeff Jarrett and Rick Steiner watch a television set. Scott Steiner walks across to Flair.

Scott Steiner: Look Ric, this is hard for me to say but I’ve been an idiot this past week. I’m sorry, y’know?

[The others spin around]

Flair: That means a lot Scott, it really does.

Steiner: [Extends hands] Shake on it?

[The two shake hands and everyone else in the room breathes a sigh of relief]

Jarrett: Well how’d you like them slapnuts? I knew there ain’t no problem here. And tonight ‘The Chosen One’ and ‘Big Poppa Pump’ are gonna wipe the floor with DDP and Sting! [Group chorus ‘Yeah!’] And when we do, we’re gonna have the biggest limo going, to take us to the hottest party in town – ain’t that right Ric?

Flair: Woooo! [Pats Jarrett on back] Do us proud tonight Gentlemen.

The group continue to laugh and talk as the camera fades out.

O = 99%

Tenay tells us that we’re staying backstage, because Pamela Paulshock is with Chavo Guerrero Jr. – who has something extremely important to say.

By any means necessary:

Paulshock: Thanks guys. I’m joined backstage by Chavo Guerrero Jr. who, at Spring Stampede, has another chance to challenge for the WCW Cruiserweight Title, but he’ll have to go through Shane Helms and WCW’s newest Cruiserweight – Tajiri. What are your thoughts Chavo?

Chavo: My thoughts Pamela? I’ll tell you what’s on my mind. These past few days I’ve been feeling a little bit loco, I ain’t afraid to say it. I’ve had kids coming up to me in the street and laughing at me, saying that I’m afraid of Tajiri. That I know he’s going to kick my ass. They’re talking as if Chavito isn’t a two-time WCW Cruiserweight Champion – which means I’m twice the Champion Helms is. They talking like I’m not a Guerrero.

But, to shut all these ignorant fans up, I’m standing my ground and challenging Tajiri to a match Monday Night on Nitro. Now listen up esse, and listen good, that is if you can understand a god damn word I’m saying eh. I will win that match, by any means necessary, and prove to these people that I am afraid of nothing. You can keep your party trick kung-fu and green mist, because homes on Monday Night – I’m going to wrestle rings around you.

And, Shane Helms, don’t think I’ve forgotten about you. I know why you wanted Tajiri in that match, and it ain’t pride – you think that that’ll distract me? Inter-national Three-Way Dance my ass – I know you running scared esse. See you at the Spring Stampede.

Paulshock: Thanks a lot Chavo, back over to you guys at ringside.

O = 64%

Tenay and Sanders discuss Chavo’s stern words there, with Sanders proclaiming that Chavo is from a wrestling dynasty – he knows how to handle himself in the ring. Tenay interrupts to tell us that next up, Rey Mysterio Jr. takes on Sean O’Haire. Both these men, and their tag team partners, have had problems recently – and this match is sure to be a heated affair.

Singles Match:

Sean O’Haire vs. Rey Mysterio Jr

Both men make their entrances, carrying their respective title belts – but, interestingly, neither are accompanied by their tag partner. The bell rings and we’re underway.

Both men begin by circling each other, before locking up. Surprisingly, Mysterio gets the upper hand – following a kick to the midsection with a Spinning Head Scissor Takedown. A livid O’Haire rises to his feet and charges at Mysterio, who manages to duck and responds by bouncing off the ropes and taking O’Haire down with a Bulldog. Dropkick from Mysterio! Rey leaps up onto O’Haire, attempting a Hurricanrana, but it’s reversed into a big time Powerbomb! Mysterio’s momentum stopped dead there. O’Haire slings Mysterio into the corner, and works him over with some stiff Martial Arts kicks. He follows this by whipping Mysterio into the ropes and executing a Spinebuster. O’Haire makes the cover – 1…2..No! Mysterio somehow gets a shoulder up!

After some more hard kicks, O’Haire is really in the driving seat – he capitalises by Suplexing Mysterio. Again Mysterio is thrown back into the corner, and worked over, before he collapses to the ground. Attempting to get back to his feet, Mysterio gets onto all fours – but is met by a hard kick to the midsection. O’Haire heads to the top turnbuckle, after taking Mysterio back to the mat with a Snapmare. Wow! After playing to the crowd, O’Haire shows tremendous agility by flying through the air with a Seanton Bomb! But, wait… Mysterio moves – and O’Haire crashes to the canvas. Mysterio seems to have a second wind and, as both men get to their feet, he charges towards O’Haire and executes another perfect looking Spinning Head Scissors. O’Haire attempts to support himself on the ropes, but is met by a dropkick from Mysterio – sending him flying into the turnbuckle. As O’Haire falls to a sitting position, the fans know exactly what’s coming – Bronco Buster! Rey waits for O’Haire to get back to his feet, before nailing the West Coast Pop! 1…2…3! We have a winner and Rey has upset the odds again tonight.

Winner: Rey Mysterio Jr.

O = 78%

CR = 76%

MQ = 81%

Rey heads to the back, clearly satisfied, while O’Haire slowly gets to his feet – unable to accept what has just happened. He grabs the referee, shouting at him before throwing him and stomping on the mat. Tenay asks what kind of example O’Haire is setting by acting like that, to which Sanders responds that O’Haire is the future of WCW, a real poster boy – and Mysterio got lucky here.

[Commercial Break]

Visiting Time:

We head backstage, where Hugh Morrus is walking down a corridor. He spots a backstage worker.

Morrus: Hey you! You know where Konnan is at?

Worker: Um, I think he’s in the Filthy Animals locker-room which is just over there Mr Morrus. [Points to off-screen]

Morrus: Cool, I got a little proposition for him.

[Morrus walks across to the door labelled ‘Filthy Animals’. He knocks at the door, and Konnan answers.]

Konnan: [Apprehensively] What you want homes?

Morrus: I think we’ve both got a problem to take care of.

Konnan: Oh right, come in esse.

[Morrus enters, the door shuts and we head back to Tenay and Sanders]

O = 59%

We head back to Tenay and Sanders, but not for long – as Tenay informs us that something is going on backstage.

Seeing the Boss-Man:

Sean O’Haire is marching down the corridor in a rage, knocking things over as he goes. Chuck Palumbo is lagging behind him, trying to calm him down. O’Haire isn’t listening, and bangs right on the door labelled ‘WCW President’. Eric Bischoff answers.

Bischoff: Hey guys, what can I do for you? Why don’t you come on in and…

O’Haire: Bischoff, I want Mysterio and Kidman at Spring Stampede – and I don’t care if we got to put the titles on the line to get them.

Palumbo: What?! Sean, I know you’re angry but…

O’Haire: [screaming] Did you see what that punk did to me Chuck? How many people he just embarrassed me in front of? What a fluke! I wanna get my hands around his scrawny neck and keep shakin’ him till he ain’t moving – you hear me?

Bischoff: [Patronising] Sean, calm down, calm down. If you want it, you got it – O’Haire and Palumbo verses the Filthy Animals at Spring Stampede with the WCW Tag Team Titles on the line. You boys want anything else, because I’m a busy man?

O’Haire: [smiling] That’s it.

[bischoff shuts the door, with Palumbo looking extremely disheartened]

Palumbo: I hope you know what you’re doing Sean.

O = 85%

And with that, we head back to ringside – Lance Storm and Stevie Ray is up next. Can Stevie get some revenge for his brother? Or will Storm just take advantage of his ring-rust? It’s sure to be one hell of a passionate match-up!

Singles Match:

Lance Storm vs. Stevie Ray

Stevie Ray makes his entrance first, to a reasonable pop. Storm is out next, complete with Canadian flag, but by himself – Storm has something to prove to everyone tonight. The bell rings and we’re underway.

The two lock-up and Storm takes advantage with a knee to the midsection, before an elbow to the back of the head. Dragon Screw takes Stevie down to the canvas. Stevie gets to his feet and charges at Storm, but Storm easily ducks and, as Stevie spins around, hits a Spinning Wheel Kick. Stevie gets up, rubbing his jaw – Storm really connected with that one. Backbreaker from Storm! He’s really going to town tonight! Stevie receives a kick to the midsection, before being taken back to the mat with a Snap Suplex! Storm climbs to the top rope, waiting for Stevie to get to his feet, before flying off the top with a Flying Back Elbow Smash! Instead of going for covers, it’s clear Storm just wants to inflict pain tonight. Dragging Stevie Ray up by the neck, Storm whips him into the ropes before taking him down with a Sidewalk Slam! Still working over the back, Storm locks Stevie Ray in a Mexican Surfboard – with his knee digging straight into his back! While the hold is applied, the cameras head backstage to where Booker T is watching on a monitor – visibly worried about his brother.

As we head back to the ring, Storm breaks the hold before Stevie Ray can tap out. Storm waits for Stevie Ray to get back to his feet – Superkick! My god – that nearly knocked Stevie Ray’s head off! It’s over! Instead of making the cover, Storm locks in the Canadian Mapleleaf! Stevie Ray taps instantly – we have a winner!

Winner: Lance Storm

O = 68%

CR = 69%

MQ = 69%

The bell rings – but Storm won’t release the hold! Stevie Ray can’t struggle – he’s passed out! The ring bell continues to ring and now the referee tries to break the hold, but with no success. Booker T charges to the ring! The fans are going nuts! Booker boots Storm straight in the side of the head, following up with some stomps, as Storm rolls out of the ring. Booker turns to check on his brother, as Storm walks back up the ramp clutching his head. Storm grins at Booker T, who’s clearly rattled by the fact that Storm just took his brother apart. We’re off to commercials.

[Commercial Break]

One way conversation:

We head backstage, where Diamond Dallas Page and Sting are sitting down in a locker-room. DDP is taping up his hands.

DDP: Now Sting, you know I got your bag out there tonight – Jarrett has got to both us this last week, and we gotta set him straight.

[sting nods]

DDP: Tonight, Jeff Jarrett is gonna feel the bang – I guarantee that!

O = 81%

‘The Chosen One’:

A video, focusing on Jeff Jarrett is aired. It recaps him beating Diamond Dallas Page and Terry Funk, as well as him smashing a guitar over Sting’s head. Some more random guitar shots are thrown in from Jarrett’s tenure, and it ends with the image of Sting lying unconscious after the last episode of Thunder.

O = 88%

Tag Team Match:

Jeff Jarrett and Scott Steiner vs. Diamond Dallas Page and Sting

And, with that, we’re ready for the Main Event. DDP and Sting make their entrance separately, before shaking hands in the ring. Steiner and Jarrett both come out together, to huge heat, signifying the newfound unity of the M7. We’ve got Steiner and DDP to start us off.

Steiner begins like a man possessed, taking DDP down with a Flying Clothesline, before raining blows down on DDP’s temple. As DDP gets to his feet, Steiner sends him straight back down with a Samoan Drop, before Steiner does some Press-Ups over DDP’s body – and the crowd aren’t afraid to voice their disapproval. Steiner drags DDP along with him, and makes the tag to Jarrett. The two throw DDP into the corner, working him over with a series of stomps, before the referee sends Steiner back to the apron. Nicely executed Dropkick from Jarrett! Quick cover only gets a two. Jarrett drags DDP up to his feet, before whipping him against the ropes. Jarrett goes down for a back body drop way too early, allowing DDP to boot him straight in the chest, before executing a DDT. As the fans begin to clap, DDP makes it to his corner and tags in Sting.

Anxious for revenge, Sting charges at Jarrett- taking him down with a clothesline. Side slam from Sting! While waiting for Jarrett to get up, Sting cups his mouth and lets off an animal noise – before charging in with another clothesline. That one knocked Jarrett silly! Sting sends Jarrett to the corner – Stinger Splash! Sting makes the cover – 1…2..No! Steiner charges in and breaks the pinfall by landing a double axe handle on Sting’s neck, bringing DDP back into the ring. Page charges towards Steiner, but is brought back down to earth with a hard-hitting Spinebuster! Steiner is on form tonight! Both men are sent back to their corners, leaving Sting and Jarrett, who are rising to their feet and begin to exchange punches in the middle of the ring. DDT from Jarrett, and he makes the tag. Sting rises to his feet, and gets the same punishment as DDP – Spinebuster! That cannot be good for his neck, especially after Jarrett smashed a guitar on it last week! Belly-to-Belly Suplex on Sting! Wow, Steiner is really taking it to Sting. Before he can get to his feet, Steiner viscously boots Sting in the back of the head. Gorilla Press Slam from Steiner! Sanders comments that Steiner is unstoppable when he’s this focused.

Steiner makes the tag to Jarrett, and the two work Sting over in the corner again. Jarrett hits a Russian Legsweep before tagging Steiner back in. The two continue to isolate Sting between them, making short, frequent tags. Jarrett and Sting are the legal men, and Jarrett has Sting locked in the Figure Four Leglock – a hold Sting has found himself in more times than he’d care to remember. In an attempt to get out, Sting attempts to stand – increasingly the pain, but it is his only way out. Both men are back on their feet, with Jarrett still gripping Sting’s leg – Enziguri Kick! Oh my god! Sting just nailed Jarrett with an Enziguri Kick! Both men collapse to the floor, and the exhausted Sting manages to make the tag to DDP. Steiner charges towards Page, but is taken down with a series of rights from DDP, who proceeds to yell at Jarrett to get up. As Jarrett gets to his feet, Steiner grabs the referee – allowing Jarrett to nail Page with a low-blow! Jarrett hits the Stroke! 1…2…3! Steiner and Jarrett have stolen this one folks.

Winners: Jeff Jarrett and Scott Steiner

O = 82%

CR = 87%

MQ = 73%

Too Far?:

As Jarrett and Steiner celebrate, DDP manages to slowly get back to his feet. He spins Jarrett round, and manages to clothesline him out of the ring – before following him out. The two continue to duke it out up the ramp, leaving Steiner in the ring with the exhausted Sting. Steiner smirks, before lifting Sting up and slamming him back down to the canvas with a Gorilla Press Slam, as the ring bell continues to sound.

Steiner rolls out of the ring, grabbing two steel chairs from ringside and throws them back into the ring. He sets both up, next to each other and points towards Sting to huge heat from the crowd. The referee attempts to plead with Steiner, and is promptly pushed to the canvas. Much to the crowd’s disgust, Steiner picks Sting up and Powerbombs him through the two steel chairs! No! Steiner drops to the mat and hits some press-ups, before flexing some more. He turns, deciding to leave, but not before driving a steel chair straight into Sting’s midsection.

As Steiner walks back up the ramp, manically grinning, the camera pans in on Sting – who now has blood pouring out of his mouth. The referee makes the ‘X’ symbol and EMTs fly down to the ring, hooking Sting up to a stretcher. Tenay says that Sting looks like he has some serious internal injuries, and that Scott Steiner has a lot of explaining to do. Even Mike Sanders agrees – it’s one thing to beat a guy in the ring, but to nearly kill him afterwards is going too far. And with that, we’re off the air.

O = 88%

Overall Show Rating = 79%

WCW Saturday Night

Recap by Mike Sharpe

April 14th 2001

Announcers: Mike Tenay and Ernest ‘The Cat’ Miller

We join Tenay and ‘The Cat’ at the desk, they talk about Nitro and Thunder briefly, before discussing the matches we have tonight. First though, we’ve got a Scott Steiner video package. Nothing says poor B-Show like watching Wednesday’s action.

The Genetic Freak-out:

The video recaps Steiner’s recent erratic behaviour – his words to Flair, his refusal to tag Flair in and it culminates in Steiner remorselessly destroying Sting on Thunder. Tenay and ‘The Cat’ talk about how dangerous Steiner is, given his current mind-state – it would be stupid to cross him.

O = 76%

Tag Team Match:

Three Count vs. Lash LeRoux and Norman Smiley

Reasonably fast-paced match-up here, that really goes to showcase how exciting Shannon Moore is – he’s wasted in meaningless tag team matches with Karagias though. Big spot in the middle, as Moore flies from the top turnbuckle onto LeRoux on the outside with a Moonsault Press. Nice ending sequence with LeRoux attempting a roll-up, which Moore reverses, grabbing the tights for the 3 Count – no pun intended.

Winners: Three Count

O = 71%

CR = 66%

MQ = 76%

Over his shoulder:

Pretty nice video montage here, not only recapping the DDP/Jarrett situation, but DDP also delivers a taped promo.

DDP again vows to stop Jarrett, maintaining that he’ll be around every corner, waiting for Jarrett to put one foot out of line – Jarrett will feel the bang. Pretty menacing promo all in all.

O = 72%

Singles Match:

Big Vito vs. Shane Douglas w/Chris Kanyon

Shane Douglas is accompanied by his business partner Chris Kanyon but, in fairness, he doesn’t need him. He makes short work of Vito – finishing the match with the Franchiser. Pretty standard brawl here, Douglas looked fired up though, I guess he’s hoping some decent ring work will cement a push. After the match, Kanyon and Douglas begin to beat down the defenceless Vito.

Winner: Shane Douglas

O = 66%

CR = 67%

MQ = 66%

To the rescue:

As Kanyon and Douglas continue to rain down blows on Vito, Konnan and Hugh Morrus charge to the ring – no doubt an alliance was cemented on Thunder. The two chase Douglas and Kanyon out of the ring, before grabbing a mic and challenging them to a tag team match on Nitro. Their challenge is accepted, and this has the potential to be an ok brawl – if Konnan’s ring time is limited.

O = 75%

WCW United States Title Match:

Mike Awesome © vs. Crowbar

Poor Mike Awesome, he’s the new WCW United States Champion and he can’t even get on an A-Show. Pretty standard squash match here, with Crowbar displaying some offence in the middle – but Awesome finishes with a big time Running Awesome Bomb.

Winner and STILL WCW United States Champion: Mike Awesome

O = 71%

CR = 61%

MQ = 82%

Overall Show Rating = 71%

Pretty poor Saturday Night all in all - with one average brawl, one squash and one decent match-up. At least they’ve made an effort to advance the Midcard Kanyon/Douglas situation. More Cruiserweights next week please. I’m Mike Sharpe, thanks for reading.

I been meaning to check this out, I finally got some time on my hands, So I'll read and reply.

I liked the backstory, I liked Bischoff's speech on Nitro as well. It was well done. I just hope you don't use Bischoff as a heel authority figure or something. I was surprised to see you fired Brian Knobbs, Jim Duggan and Wayne DeBruce early on. But I can't say I'll miss them. I don't know half of the guys you signed for development except for Orlando Jordan. So I can't really comment on that. Nice to see you building up for the future though. I hope you don't go getting rid of Bagwell or Luger anytime soon, Sure, They're trouble makers, But every roster needs their jackasses. Besides, Luger and Bagwell were a big part of WCW in 2001. Tajiri possibly coming is a good idea, You need a few talented workers. Out of Helms, Noble, Storm and Mysterio, The only one I see going anywhere is Storm. Noble and Helms are pretty much stuck in the Cruiserweight division right now, And Mysterio without the mask just sucks. For the love God, Don't bring Hogan back.

Nitro 2nd April 2001

- Nice little opening with Booker T.

- Good way to open up Nitro by using the Cruiserweights. I don't read matches all the way through so I can't comment on the match as a whole. I'm liking Rey and Kidman as the Cruiserweight Tag Team Champions, Though, I hope you break them off later on. Kinda cool to see Kidman grab a sign from the crowd though.

- Steiner versus Booker T again? Atleast you're not quickly shoving Steiner down the card. Should be decent enough, No way is Steiner winning though.

- I could see Flair versus Steiner happening soon, Looks like Scott's roid rage got the best of him this time with Flair.

- I'd love to see Helms versus Chavo again, With Helms retaining the gold so Chavo can move on to bigger and better things.

- I liked the O'Haire/Palumbo interview, But weren't they just faces a week ago? Anyways, I hope they keep the belts for awhile. And then I'd love to see O'Haire pushed up the card since it was going to happen anyways.

- Dustin Rhodes versus Mike Awesome? I'm not sure if that's what would get WCW some big ratings against Raw, But atleast it's realistic. I'd actually like to see you do something different with Dustin. Like pushing him with a new character or something.

- DDP versus Jarrett should be great.

- Surprised to see Jarrett beat DDP so cleanly, I actually thought DDP would get the win here. But then again, WCW did always have a huge hard on for Jarrett. Nice Jarrett interview afterwords. I wonder what you have in store for Double J.

- I knew Booker T was winning, But what happened after the match was great. A feud between Storm and Booker T should be awesome. And it's pushing a new guy into the main event instead of WCW's tired main event scene. With the right push, And wins over a few established guys, Storm could very well be a huge heel champion.

Thunder 4/4/01

- Wasn't Stevie Ray doing the announcing for Thunder instead of Sanders? For some reason I always liked hearing to Stevie Ray when he was announcing.

- Good to see Palumbo and O'Haire dominate, But I didn't like them running from Rey and Kidman. After what they said on Nitro about the twelve year olds, And not fearing them it made them look bad by running. Just don't unify both tag titles just yet, The Cruiserweight tag titles could be good for new comers.

- The tension between Flair and Steiner seem to be getting better, I would personally love to see both of them go at it. Bagwell's and Animal's little card comments were funny as well. I see either Flair or Steiner getting thrown out of the group.

- Nice way to get Tajiri over, Maybe a triple threat between him, Chavo and Helms will happen. I also liked the announcers hyping him up.

- Damn, Douglas beat Konnan. With help from Kanyon too. I wouldn't mind a feud between Konnan and Kanyon, But I don't know if Kanyon and Douglas would be good together. I guess that's my problem though, Since I never really cared for Douglas.

- I loved the Lance Storm interview. Very well done there. I see you're trying to get Storm over with a kind of machine/ruthless technitian gimmick? Could work nicely. Storm has some charisma to pull it off as well.

- Sting versus Jarrett seemed like a way to build up to DDP versus Jarrett again, I hope you do keep Sting around as he's probably the most popular WCW wrestler and he could still put on decent matches every now and then.

Saturday Night 4/7/01

A good little show, I liked seeing the Funkster get the win and the announcement for Nitro. Can't wait to see Tajiri versus Chavo.

No! You released Disco and freaking Alex Wright? I was hoping to see them having a big impact in your diary. You're so gonna regret firing Alex Wright when the WWF hires him and he's one of their top five stars. Okay, That might not happen, But Wright is still the man. (H)

I'd like to see RVD show up, As long as he doesn't get thrown into the WCW Championship scene too soon.

Nitro 4/9/01

- The Booker interview was good, But if Booker wanted to get at Storm so badly, Why make the stipulation of Awesome having to beat him to so Storm can get the shot?

- Chavo versus Helms versus Tajiri is going to rock the house at Spring Stampede, I didn't like Chavo using a couple of Eddie's phrases though. I never remembered Chavo calling some esse or holmes. Most people would end up thinking he's just ripping off Uncle Eddie.

- Nice segment with Flair and Steiner, You're doing a good job of building up the tension between the two of them. The match was good too, I actually read all of it to see what would happen between Flair and Steiner. Maybe the next time they tag together, Flair will wrestle all of the match like Steiner did?

- With the way you're building up the feud between O'Haire/Palumbo/Kidman/Mysterio it looks like there could be a upset.

- Sucks to see Kanyon losing, Especially to a scrub like Morrus. Atleast it was by DQ though.

- DDP and Jarrett is heating up, I liked DDP saying whereever Jarrett is he'd be there. I thought you did a good job of making Funk look good in his match too. DDP versus Jarrett could be a great match at Spring Stampede.

- Good main event, It was kinda obvious that Awesome was getting the win, But he'll make a good champ. I didn't see Stevie Ray coming out to save Booker, But it was a nice touch. One thing you got wrong though, Stevie Ray was already a face at this point and he and Booker had already patched things up. Maybe Stevie Ray will fight Awesome for the US title?

Thunder 4/11/01

- Good opening with Noble versus Kash, Noble looks like he's headed for a push which could work out well. I'd like to see you do something with Kash as well.

- Steiner seems like he's leading Flair into a trap, I still think this is could be a huge feud if done right. The main event seems like a great match though.

- Another good segment with Chavo, You're using him well. And his match with Rajiri on Nitro should be a great match. Lets hope you have big things in store for Chavo after he's done with the Cruiserweight division.

- I can't believe Mysterio upset O'Haire, I was thinking Mysterio and Kidman would beat Palumbo and O'Haire down the line, But now I think we're gonna see O'Haire and Palumbo destroy Mysterio and Kidman.

- Oh lord, Morrus and Konnan together as a team? It would be kinda cool to see Morrus in the filthy animals possibly.......

- Can't wait to see the tag title match at Spring Stampede, You did a good job with Chuck acting like the cowardly heel.

- I saw Stevie Ray getting his kicked by Storm after the match ended before it even happened, But it was good hype to the Storm/Booker T match. Now, Lets just hope Storm beats someone more serious like DDP or Sting to really hype him up.

- Good main event, Steiner's attack on Sting was sick. I have a feeling Flair won't be too happy with that.

Saturday Night 4/14/01

Decent show, It was a nice way to hype things up. I'd like to see 3 count face the filthy animals for the Cruiserweight tag titles down the line.

I'm liking this so far. You didn't go off and hire too many ECW guys which usually happens when someone starts a WCW fusient era diary. You also still kept guys like Steiner, DDP, Sting, Jarrett etc. I'm looking forward to reading more of this. Keep up the good work man (Y)

I'm really enjoying your series. Except for I think one thing you forget just a few things. First of all WCW was shutting down in the month of April and coming back in May. Their first ppv back was going to be called "Big Bang". I don't think they were going to shut down for a month just to come back following the same storylines they were before.

I think Flair cut one of the greatest promo's I've ever heard on a Monday night that Nitro. Keeping him heel would have been a huge mistake. But anyhow other than the continued storylines and the heel Ric Flair this show is getting better and better. Keep up the good work, I'm a huge WCW fan and I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

• 5 months later...

(N.B. So I started this diary ages ago and thought I’d write up a show while I’m at home due to family reasons. In the past, my Nitro/Thunder write-ups were somewhat extensive; they’ll be a bit shorter, with PPV’s being much longer. The next update will probably be the next time I’m home from Uni, which is like March. But it will come, eventually – I may even get to Spring Stampede by the end of 2006…)

WCW Monday Nitro

April 16th

Announcers: Tony Schiavone and Scott Hudson

As per usual, the Nitro opening sequence rolls and our announcers welcome us to what is set to be an action packed night. We’ve got a tag team confrontation as Shane Douglas and Chris Kanyon will face the alliance of Konnan and Hugh Morrus, who are no doubt out for revenge. Chavo Guerrero Jr. is also in action as he faces off against new foe Tajiri, as both men aim to gain an advantage before the Spring Stampede 3-Way with Shane Helms.

Schiavone and Hudson also inform us that Eric Bischoff has booked one hell of a main event tonight – as Booker T and his brother Stevie Ray reform as Harlem Heat to take on Lance Storm and Mike Awesome. Schiavone suggests that Booker T is ready and able to get revenge on Lance Storm, his opponent at Spring Stampede, after Storm took Stevie Ray apart on Thunder. Hudson calls Schiavone an idiot – what Storm did to Stevie Ray is a prime example of why Booker can’t get revenge on Storm; Storm and Awesome will destroy Harlem Heat tonight.

Before the matter is discussed to death, Lash LeRoux’s music hits and we have our opener.

Singles Match:

Lash LeRoux vs. Jamie Noble

LeRoux slaps hands with the fans, while Hudson comments that he is merely a lamb to the slaughter – Jamie Noble is a ruthless technician and will dismantle the Rajin’ Cajun. Hudson further suggests that Noble’s style is similar to that of Lance Storm – who Hudson sees as the future WCW Heavyweight Champion. Schiavone tells him to focus on this match – Spring Stampede isn’t until April 29th. Noble makes his entrance to noticeable heat, but his eyes are steely and he is focused purely on LeRoux as the bell rings.

After what is a fairly even opening, with LeRoux popping the crowd with a nice standing dropkick, Noble takes control after locking Lash in a headlock, slowing down the pace of the match. Jamie Noble hits hard with a crisp Suplex, later followed by a big time German Suplex. Seemingly enjoying his opponent’s pain, Noble breaks numerous pinfall attempts – drawing a less than favourable reaction from the largely pro-LeRoux crowd. As LeRoux struggles to get to his feet, Noble stands his ground, before easily locking LeRoux in the Crossface – Lash taps instantly, ending this somewhat short opener.

Winner: Jamie Noble

O = 78

CR = 63

MQ = 93

Hudson tells Schiavone that he is always right – LeRoux was a lamb to the slaughter, just as Booker T will be. We instantly head backstage to where Booker T and Stevie Ray are preparing for their Main Event match. Stevie Ray is stretching – his back and shoulders seem to be the cause of considerable pain.

Harlem Heat 2001:

Booker: Bro, this is it – we get to take the rod outta these foo’s behinds. Mike Awesome might have taken my United States title last week, but I still got this. [booker pats his WCW Heavyweight Title, which rests upon his shoulder.] You cool bro?

Stevie: [slowly] Yeah. But after last week bro I’m hurtin’. That Lance Storm don’t let up dawg.

Booker: [Jokingly] You getting too old huh? [stevie Ray flashes a half-hearted smile] Look bro, we better than them – you take care of Mike Awesome, I’ll deal with the G.I. Joe look-a-like, dig it?

Stevie and Booker high-five as we head to commercial.

O = 70

[Commercial Break]

Tag Team Match:

Shane Douglas and Chris Kanyon vs. Konnan and Hugh Morrus

This match was cemented on Saturday Night, with both Konnan and Morrus having fallen victim to the alliance of Kanyon and Douglas.

Both teams make their way to the ring – with Schiavone suggesting that neither alliance is an easy one; each of these men want their way out of the Midcard, perhaps these teams are just a means to an end.

Kanyon and Morrus start off, with Morrus overpowering his opponent. However, Kanyon soon takes the advantage after a rake to the eyes, and proceeds to make a number of quick tags with Douglas. Using every dirty trick in the book, from not releasing holds to distracting the referee, Douglas and Kanyon are firmly in control. Eventually, a weary Morrus ducks Douglas’ clothesline attempt and floors his opponent with a stiff right hand, before crawling towards Konnan to make the tag and rolling outside exhausted.

Konnan’s freshness allows him to quickly take advantage, levelling his opponent with a big DDT, before whipping Douglas into the corner. As Konnan charges towards Douglas, the Franchise grabs the referee – using him as a human shield. As the referee collapses, Shane Douglas removes a chain from his trunks, which he uses to choke Konnan – before strapping it around his hand and levelling the Filthy Animal with a right hand. Douglas throws the chain towards Kanyon, who tucks it into his own trunks, as the referee slowly awakes and makes the count – 1…2…3!

Winners: Shane Douglas and Chris Kanyon

O = 71

CR = 70

MQ = 72

As Douglas’ hand is raised by the referee, Schiavone laments the duo’s methods. Hudson responds with the claim that Kanyon and Douglas will do anything to get ahead – something that separates them from the likes of Konnan and Morrus. He points out that Shane Douglas has never cared about making friends in wrestling, just victories.

[Commercial Break]

Good Nights Work:

As we return, we head backstage to where the Magnificent Seven are hanging out. Well, Magnificent Six, as Ric Flair is a notable absentee.

Steiner: [To Jarrett] Well I think we had a good Wednesday eh Jeff? Can’t say the same for Sting.

[Laughs]

Jarrett: We certainly took out the trash. [Jarrett looks around] Where’s Flair anyway?

Luger: I heard he didn’t even get on the plane to…

Steiner: [Cutting Luger off] Who gives a damn? He wasn’t there on Wednesday night, with his limousines ready to take us to the party was he Jeff? The way I see it – I don’t care if I ever see his old, wrinkled carcass ever again.

[Awkward silence]

Steiner: [Continuing] I’m the Genetic Freak. I’m Big Poppa Pump. I’m a former WCW Heavyweight Champion – we don’t need that dead weight. The Magnificent Seven don’t need that has been.

Rick Steiner: [With a calculator in hand] Uh bro, don’t that make us the Magnificent Six?

Steiner: [snapping] I don’t give a damn about the figures! All I know is that Flair has been holding us back for too long – we’re streamline now, WCW is as good as ours. [Pause] Now Jeff, you got something planned for later?

Jarrett: Boy do I, it’s gonna be…

O = 88

We head back to the announcers who discuss what has just happened – while they wonder where the hell Ric Flair is and what Jeff Jarrett has in store for later. In the meantime, Billy Kidman’s music hits, and we’ve got another match.

Singles Match:

Billy Kidman vs. Chuck Palumbo

Just as their partners did last week, Kidman and Palumbo face off in singles action – just under two weeks before they will compete for the WCW Tag Team Titles at Spring Stampede. Schiavone comments that Palumbo was less than thrilled about having to put the titles on the line, so this is a big match for both men.

The match begins before the bell rings, with Palumbo charging towards Kidman and proceeding to use his strength and size advantage – levelling Kidman with a Lariat and a big back body drop. 1…2..No! Kidman gets a shoulder up. Palumbo continues to pound on half of the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Champions for a good few minutes, before forgetting a unwritten wrestling rule – you can’t powerbomb Billy Kidman, who reverses with a sweet Hurricanrana. In the absence of any in-ring chemistry, the two use the big man/little man blue print – with Kidman using his speed to his advantage, gradually chipping away at his opponent.

After a period of Kidman dominance, Palumbo catches his opponent and sends him to the mat with a big Powerslam, following that up with a sloppy Scoop Slam. Palumbo whips Kidman against the ropes but, using what little energy he has left, the Cruiserweight attempts a flying Head Scissors, before working his way into a pin. 1…2..No! Palumbo rolls through, grabbing Kidman’s trunks in the process! 1…2…3! Palumbo has stolen this one!

Winner: Chuck Palumbo

O = 66

CR = 61

MQ = 72

The victor slides out the ring and walks the ramp to moderate heat, while Schiavone points out that the sides are 1-1 in singles action – their match at Spring Stampede is going to be huge!

[Commercial Break]

We’re back with Schiavone and Hudson, who announce that Tajiri takes on Chavo Guerrero Jr. next in Singles action. However, Shane Helms’ music hits and the WCW Cruiserweight Champion makes his way to the announce table.

Guest Commentating:

Helms sits himself down, and proceeds to put on a headset.

Schiavone: Well folks, it looks like we’re being joined by the current WCW Cruiserweight Champion – Sugar Shane Helms – who faces both these men in an International Three Way Dance at Spring Stampede. How’s it going Shane?

Helms: It’s going well Tony, I thought I’d just come down here and do a bit of scouting, and you guys have the best seats in the house.

Hudson: So Shane are you worried about your match at Spring Stampede? I mean, you have to step back in the ring with Chavo.

Helms: Who’d you think I got this title off Scott? I’ve beaten Chavo before and he’s running scared of Sugar Shane Helms. I added Tajiri into the mix to make things a bit more interesting for myself and he’s a hell of an athlete, and I expect him to take Chavo down a peg or two here tonight. Then at Spring Stampede, I have no doubts that we’re gonna put on the match of the night – but make no mistake, I’ll be walking out of that International Three Way Dance the undoubted best Cruiserweight in WCW.

Hudson: [under his breath] Well they say pride comes before a fall.

O = 77

Before Helms can react, Chavo’s music hits and the former Cruiserweight Champion makes his way to the ring – mouthing to Helms to watch and learn.

Singles Match:

Chavo Guerrero Jr. vs. Tajiri

Tajiri makes his entrance to a HUGE pop, the WCW crowd seemingly in love with the new, mysterious addition to the Cruiserweight division. The bell rings and the two circle each other, both men feeling out their new opponent.

The match starts off at a frantic pace, with both men taking to the air in attempts to out-do each other. A chop battle draws huge ‘Wooo’s’ from the crowd, before Tajiri takes control, locking Chavo in a Mexican Surfboard. However, the match swings Chavo’s way when he reverses a Diving Hurricanrana, before sending Tajiri to the mat with a make shift powerbomb.

The match then becomes a more grounded affair, though the pace never lets up, with both competitors displaying a fine grasp of psychology as well as a tremendous ability to reverse almost anything thrown at them. Numerous near falls heighten the tension. As the match builds, the crowd become more and more drawn in – this match is a fantastic preview of what lies ahead at Spring Stampede. After a period of slight domination, Tajiri levels Chavo with the Kick of Death. 1…2…3! That brings the end to an outstanding bout.

Winner: Tajiri

O = 81

CR = 64

MQ = 99

Helms, on commentary, salutes Tajiri as Chavo gets to his feet. Guerrero attempts to sneak up on his opponent from behind, but Tajiri telegraphs it – Green Mist! The fans erupt as Chavo is blinded, and Tajiri heads back up the ramp.

Helms: [Tongue in check] I know Chavo wants my title Tony, you could say he’s green with envy!

As Helms laughs and leaves, we head backstage – as Jeff Jarrett is walking down a corridor, and Schiavone and Hudson ponder what he has in store for us tonight.

[Commercial Break]

As we return, Jeff Jarrett’s music hits the PA, and ‘The Chosen One’ makes his way down the ramp, mic in one hand, an acoustic guitar in the other.

An Audience with the Chosen One:

The crowd boos heavily as Jarrett begins to speak.

Jarrett: Now shut the hell up. Boy, there are a hell of a lot of people in this audience in need of an education – when The Chosen One speaks, y’all slapnuts listen. Okay?

[More boos ring out]

Jarrett: Now all of you know, whether you’re here or sat on your sofa watching on the TV in whatever shanty town you’re in, that I have ALL the Stroke around here. I’m a former WCW Heavyweight Champion and a member of the Magnificent… Six – a group that has more power than the god damn Freemasons. I get things done in WCW. Since I re-joined this company, I’ve watched as it nearly died – and you want to know why it died? Because old farts, like your buddy Diamond Dallas Page, take the opportunities from the true champions – like yours truly, Jeff Jarrett.

[More boos. Jarrett laughs and waits for a pause.]

Jarrett: This was a company riddled with politics because these old timers couldn’t accept that their time was up. They couldn’t accept the fact that they should go buy themselves a nice little condo in Florida – and just curl up AND DIE! Scott Steiner said something earlier on this evening that rung true – we don’t need the likes of Ric Flair, it’s embarrassing to our sport, watching someone who used to be someone parading around in a robe at his age! You’ve seen me recently – I’m taking out the trash in WCW. But as I’m the Chosen One, the saviour of wrestling, my business is expanding – I’m taking out the trash in ALL of professional wrestling, one piece of garbage by one. So, Ladies and Gentleman, let me introduce to you my latest project and my opponent tonight:

Every head in the arena turns to the entrance way as Jarrett’s opponent makes his way to the stage.

Schiavone: Oh my god! That’s Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts! A true legend of professional wrestling!

O = 87

A clearly out of shape Roberts makes his way to the ring, without Damien, to a huge pop from the more nostalgic fans in the arena.

Singles Match:

‘The Chosen One’ Jeff Jarrett vs. Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts

The bell rings, and Jarrett wastes no time going to work on Roberts, kneeing Jake in his far from toned mid-drift.

The match-up is a complete mismatch, as Jarrett callously attacks Roberts, who probably shouldn’t even be in the ring. The crowd are fully behind Jake, who enjoys a brief mid-match fight back before being cutback down to size by ‘The Chosen One’. Jarrett breaks numerous near falls himself, before levelling his ‘latest project’ with the Stroke. 1…2…3!

Winner: ‘The Chosen One’ Jeff Jarrett

Boos ring out through the arena, the fans are really beginning to despise the seemingly elated Jarrett. Oblivious to the reaction, Jarrett slides out of the ring and grabs his guitar, strumming a few chords before sliding back into the ring. Jarrett stalks his prey, waiting for the fallen legend to find his feet. Suddenly, the camera pans to the crowd, where a figure is making his way through the masses. Schiavone speculates it might be an enraged fan – but no! It’s Diamond Dallas Page. The crowd pops as, unbeknown to Jarrett, DDP slides in the ring behind him, before tapping his foe on the shoulder. Jarrett spins around and – Diamond Cutter!

O = 71

CR = 80

MQ = 53

We go to our final commercial break of the night as DDP helps Roberts up, to a huge ovation, and Jarrett lies motionless on the canvas.

[Commercial break]

As we return, Schiavone and Hudson seem pumped about our upcoming Main Event – as the reformed Harlem Heat take on Team Canada’s Lance Storm and Mike Awesome, the WCW Heavyweight Title Number One Contender and WCW United States Champion respectively. But first, we’re informed, Scott Steiner has something to say, as sirens go off around the arena and Poppa Pump makes his way to the ring accompanied by his chief freak - Midajah.

To Be the Man…:

Steiner: You’ve all seen what I’ve done in the past few weeks – the chaos I’ve wreaked in the WCW. Last week on Thunder, I all but killed Sting - a supposed WCW legend. I control the most powerful group in wrestling. I will once again be WCW Heavyweight Champion. But, I realised something, I can do so much more. At Spring Stampede, I’m a free agent with nothing to do. And it hit me – what better to do than finish what I started last week?

[steiner pauses, before looking directly into the camera.]

Steiner: At Spring Stampede, I want Sting.

Schiavone: Oh how brave – he wants Sting? He’s almost crippled!

Steiner: I will beat Sting at Spring Stampede, all my freaks will see it. I’ll draw up the contract and take it to his god damn hospital bed if I have to. I’m gonna…

Before Steiner can finish, the most famous music in all of wrestling fills the arena – Strauss’ Also Sprach Zarathustra signalling the arrival of ‘The Nature Boy’ Ric Flair! Steiner does a double take, clearly angered as a suited and booted Ric Flair walks through the entrance. The music stops and Flair is silent, just looking at Steiner.

Steiner: You… You shouldn’t be here Flair – you weren’t on the plane. You weren’t on the…

Flair: [Cutting Steiner off] How long have you known me Scott? Surely you know I’ve got an endless string of limousines and private jets to take me wherever I want to go. Wooooo!

[The crowd erupts into a frenzy of Woo’s]

Flair: You know something boy? You know what I realised watching the way you treated Sting last week? I realised that the likes of you and Jeff Jarrett have no respect for this business. I may be the dirtiest player in the game, but when the match is done and dusted I’ve never tried to kill anyone! I may not like my opponents, but I sure as hell respect them. I used to respect you - not anymore.

[Pause]

Flair: Over the years, I’ve had legendary battles with Sting, and by god every time I wanted to beat him whatever it took – but you Scott, you went too far. I used to respect you Scott, but I’ve realised you’re a disgrace to our sport, and you certainly ain’t the Nature Boy! You know what they say Scott – to be the man, you have to beat the man. And last time I checked – I’m still the man!

[Crowd pops]

Flair: It’s one thing to challenge a guy basically crippled, it’s another to face Ric Flair - the jet flyin', limo ridin', champagne drinkin', caviar eatin', show stealin', wheelin' dealin', kiss stealin’ son of a gun! Woooo! So I’ve got a proposal for you – Ric Flair versus Scott Steiner at Spring Stampede!

Steiner: Whatever Flair. I ain’t afraid of you, you think that I…

Flair: Woah, slow down – that ain’t it. As I was saying, Ric Flair versus Scott Steiner at Spring Stampede in a Retirement Match!

[Crowd pops]

Flair: And when you walk that isle Steiner, you better take it in, because it’s the last time you are ever gonna do it! Wooooo!

O = 91

Also Sprach Zarathustra hits the PA again as Flair leaving the shell-shocked Steiner and Midajah in the ring. Schiavone sells the match like the second coming of Christ as a video plays, recapping the background to our Main Event.

Main Event – Tag Team Match:

Harlem Heat vs. Lance Storm and Mike Awesome

After the video has aired, the Canadian National Anthem begins and Storm and Awesome make their way to the ring – complete with the Canadian Flag and WCW United States Title. Harlem Heat soon follow.

Awesome and Booker start us off with some run off the mill brawling, until Booker gains control. Awesome eventually reaches his corner and tags in Lance Storm. The crowd waits with baited breath as Storm steps into the ring and Booker just stares a hole into him. Despite taking an early advantage over Storm, Booker soon finds himself on the back foot – and unable to deal with Storm’s considerable offence. Storm is as good as his word, taking Booker apart by working on his back with Backbreakers, Mexican Surfboards, Suplexes and even a Sidewalk Slam.

Booker gets a second wind, speeding the match up with his high tempo brawling. More significantly, Stevie Ray (who has yet to see ring action in this bout) and Mike Awesome have began brawling on the outside and are headed up the ramp. Booker heads to the top rope, making the fatal mistake of playing the fans, which gives Storm enough time to recover - as Booker flies towards him with a Top Rope Clothesline, Storm reverses into a high impact Arm Bar, which sends Booker T straight to the mat. Storm proceeds to lock Booker in the Canadian Maple Leaf! With his back already softened up, Booker seems certain to tap!

However, the WCW Heavyweight Champion makes his way to the ropes, but Storm won’t release the hold! The referee attempts to grab Storm, but to no avail – he won’t release the hold. Storm’s eyes are again cold and focused, though there is the slight hint of a smile as Booker squirms in pain. The referee, unable to break the hold, calls for the bell.

Winners: Harlem Heat (by DQ)

O = 77

CR = 75

MQ = 79

Storm eventually breaks the hold, with Booker now passed out on the mat. Storm raises his arm aloft, to the distaste of the crowd. As the credits roll, a concerned Schiavone wonders whether Booker will be able to get his back to 100% in time for Spring Stampede, in the less than two weeks.

Overall Show Rating = 77

The Insider’s News and Notes:

17th April 2001

Hi folks and welcome to the first edition of The Insider’s News and Notes. Let’s get right down to it.

First up, many were surprised to see Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts on Nitro, especially as he was in awful shape. Backstage sources have stressed that this was a one time deal, in order to advance Jeff Jarrett’s character. If Roberts had a chance in hell of a contract, he royally screwed himself with his constant no-selling – which is a big no-no in a virtual squash. JCW, Roberts’ other employers, have also terminated his open contract. Bad week for Jake Roberts really.

Booker T was said to be visibly angry post-Nitro, complaining that Mike Awesome was working way too stiff. Booker is known as an easy going guy backstage, so his views are being taken fairly seriously by the WCW backstage staff. Awesome may be frustrated about his lack of significant TV time – his only title defence being a squash against Crowbar on Saturday Night – and by whispers backstage that he is merely keeping the belt warm for a certain superstar. I’ll keep his identity a mystery for now though.

The WCW Booking Team are said to be delighted with Tajiri’s performance thus far in his WCW run. His merchandise is flying off the shelves, he had an outstanding match with Chavo Guerrero Jr. and is probably the most over face in the Midcard by a long way – he’s likely to be stabilised in the Midcard for now, but looks to have a very bright future.

Another superstar falling into the Booking Team’s good graces is Jamie Noble. He’s given a couple of good showings recently, and seems to have the complete package of ability and charisma. It appears he’s being moulded into a kind Benoit2001 but hopefully, with a bit of interview time, that’ll sort itself out.

Spring Stampede looks to be shaping up, with four matches confirmed and a few more seemingly in the pipeline. Currently we have:

WCW World Heavyweight Title Match:

Booker T © vs. Lance Storm

Retirement Match:

Ric Flair vs. Scott Steiner

WCW Tag Team Title Match:

O’Haire & Palumbo © vs. Filthy Animals

WCW Cruiserweight Title Match - International Three Way Dance:

Shane Helms © vs. Tajiri vs. Chavo Guerrero Jr.

Some kind of Jarrett/DDP match seems a lock at the minute as well. Sources backstage indicate that Mike Awesome will definitely defend his WCW United States Title, and the logical contender is Stevie Ray. That’ll likely be a car crash, but it’s logical – you can’t fault the new WCW for trying. Some kind of confrontation between any number of Douglas, Kanyon, Konnan and Morrus seems likely, as they’ve been given a fair amount of TV time lately.

The Ric Flair/Scott Steiner bout is interesting as my sources indicate that the loser will actually never be seen in a WCW ring again – as opposed to a return a few months down the line. Flair seems the logical choice to retire, but he’s probably the most over superstar on the roster right now – so WCW needs to be VERY careful with this match.

That's all for now Ladies and Gents.

• 1 year later...