Soccer/football games.

thatshortguy

I'd say Winning Eleven. It's the same (more or less) as Pro Evolution which is widely regarded as being the greatest football game ever made, and I would have to concur. Nothing else comes close.

I'd say Winning Eleven. It's the same (more or less) as Pro Evolution which is widely regarded as being the greatest football game ever made, and I would have to concur. Nothing else comes close.

How is in terms of managing a team? I've read reviews that stated Fifa '04 didn't allow some transfers between different leagues.

Guest Red Devil

I'd highly recommend getting PES3 which i think is Winning Elevens. The only good thing about Fifa is the license, everything else PES3 is far more superior. The graphics, gameplay and everything in between is just totally ruled by PES3 and it's definitely the best football/soccer game ever made.

I took a couple of hours when i bought it to fix the team names and player names and after that in all ways possible it rules Fifa.

With PES3 you have to unlock a special feature that allows you to transfer between teams, and there only a limited number of teams on the game.

The licence and this is the only thing Fifa has over Pro, but the squad management is much more in depth than any other.

with Fifa, the only way you can transfer players is you have to swap people. You can't just add one guy to a team without trading someone the other way, which is stupid.

Pro Evo / Winning Eleven is waaaaaaay better than FIFA. Fifa's engine just basically sucks, the AI poor and it doesn't feel like football.

Summary:

Pro Evo is actually a good game, but 'suffers' from lack of a license for some real player names, and its graphics are decent but not excessively 'polished'.

FIFA gets by on being an EA game, backed by large amounts of money and big name stars doing motion capture and being on the cover. It's just not very good, don't waste your money.

I s'pose it's generally accepted that Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution is the way to go. My first thought was to nab Winning Eleven 7 International for the PC, but I quickly ran into a problem: no fan sites, thus no cool mods/downloads (especially roster updates/upgrades.)

So somebody in the know point me in the direction of some cool ones, and I'll go with the PC version. Otherwise, I'll probably give it a whirl on the PS2.

Right lets see, although everyone has mentioned it I may as well add to it.

Fifa 04 is pretty much sucky. The gameplay is okayish, yet it has the tendency to freeze for a split second all the time, which makes it suckage. The passing is pretty poor too, I find it way to unrealstic when you can either:

A)Run round the whole team even on world class

B)Score from any angle, including halfway lines, with the ball curling from left to right, which basically never happens in real life, well not this much.

With Pro Evo 3, you get the realism. Yeah once you master it you can take on the team, but you play it on five stars and it'll take more than 10 minutes to even touch the ball, that'll own bloddy take on the whole team like Fifa. The scoring is a lot better and same goes for the seasons IMO.

Anyway basically get Pro Evolution 3. Nevermind the reviews, once you have played it you will realise it is without a doubt untouchable until Pro Evolution 4. It lacks really nothing at all. Also if some little idiot is going to come in to flame the game by saying how it hasn't got the right names, well save your time. When you buy the game, you usualy get the cheat disk free. Basically it unlocks anything you want, and also changes the team names to normal and every name back to normal. So basically, you cant go wrong with the game.

Also if some little idiot is going to come in to flame the game by saying how it hasn't got the right names, well save your time. When you buy the game, you usualy get the cheat disk free. Basically it unlocks anything you want, and also changes the team names to normal and every name back to normal. So basically, you cant go wrong with the game.

I bought it (in the US if that matters) and there was no such disk.

If you want to PLAY football:

Pro Evolution Soccer 3 or FIFA2004. (Fifa2005 will come out this September I think)

If you want to MANAGE a football team:

Championship Manager or Total Club Manager 2004

Oh come on guys Fifa is actually good in my eyes.

Let's have the defendant's case, then. I'm open to all sides of the debate :)

If you want to PLAY football:

Pro Evolution Soccer 3 or FIFA2004. (Fifa2005 will come out this September I think)

If you want to MANAGE a football team:

Championship Manager or Total Club Manager 2004

This is interesting, AJ. I don't know if I want to actually play or manage more. From all accounts, PE/W11 seems to be the player's choice and the manager's choice. However, I'm an unfortunately picky person. If the GM system lacks at all, or the controls on the pitch are Twister-esque, it immediately meets its end.

That being said, I'll likely give W11 7 a look, if I can find it for rent. And Johnny, are the usual retailers also selling the add-on disc you spoke of, or do I have to track it done in the seething underbelly of the 'net? :P

I s'pose it's generally accepted that Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution is the way to go.  My first thought was to nab Winning Eleven 7 International for the PC, but I quickly ran into a problem:  no fan sites, thus no cool mods/downloads (especially roster updates/upgrades.)

So somebody in the know point me in the direction of some cool ones, and I'll go with the PC version.  Otherwise, I'll probably give it a whirl on the PS2.

Most of the ones I know are German, but this one is English, too. You can get pretty much everything you want there.

http://www.pescorner.de

Let's have the defendant's case, then.  I'm open to all sides of the debate :)

This is interesting, AJ.  I don't know if I want to actually play or manage more.  From all accounts, PE/W11 seems to be the player's choice and the manager's choice.  However, I'm an unfortunately picky person.  If the GM system lacks at all, or the controls on the pitch are Twister-esque, it immediately meets its end.

Nooooo! PES for playing, CM for managing. You cant get better than CM 03/04 for managing, but I dont think that the new CM is available to buy in North America. Get PES and wait for Football Manager to come out (altho it is next year, it is worth the wait ;) )

Well when I brought Pro Evo 3 I got the disk for free. They said if you have a game reward card you get it free, if not it costs an extra fiver :o

You should be able to get a copy from one of your local game stores though. If not then it will certainly be scattered all over the internet for you to find. Try and get hold of it though as it really does make a big difference IMO.