Official Civilization Thread

Guest Mr McFarlane

Ugh.... you start playing at midnight with your packs of bowmen roaming the countryside attacking wild animals, you're building the hanging gardens of Kyoto, and you're teaching the French the concept of writing. Next thing you know it's 4:30 am, Kyoto is a sprawling medieval urban cesspit and you're sending an armada of ships across the sea to colonize America and Jewish-China(And by 'colonize', I mean invade) and you're invading Mongolia for their oil.

This game rocks. ^_^

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael are you saying youve got it or were you refering to Civ III?

God damned man, but if youve got Civ IV I'm now the most jealous man in this solar system. Football Manager 06, and my two essays must keep me busy I supose.

That's why I save for the rest of the year. Or at least try to.

Now, the big question - what race/civilisation are YOU going to play as?

In Civs I and II, I naturally went for the English. Starting on an island = couple of cities without meeting anyone else = win. However, when the bitter Americans decided to fuck the English in the ass by giving them awful traits and a truly crappy unique unit, I changed allegiances to the Persians. They don't start in a great place in the world map, but the Immortals were the best early game unique unit, and having two of the 'Big Three' traits (Scientific, Industrious and Militaristic) rocked ass.

:wub::wub::wub:

That's how I feel about this game. I had to go through hell to get it but once I did it was all worth it. At first I was a little disapointed and didn't really feel that "addiction" so many have talked about. However, once I got a handle on the game concepts I just couldn't get enough. This game is so much fun. I feel like a crack addict who can't get enough hits. In fact, I'm going to play this right now!

Does anyone else think the initial screen with the world turning and the sun rising is just fantastic? And that theme song! Sure it may have been cut from the original Lion King sound track but I just love it!

As for the question asked I like to start with the Americans. They have good traits and a great late game unique unit. I've since moved away from them however and now like to play as the English/French/German/Roman empire.

Civ 4 > Crack

Apparently.

I usually like to play as China. It all stems from a game I played on Ultimate Civilization II on the world map. I built the "Great Wall" of fortresses across the world map, cutting Euro-Asia in HALF. I was well chuffed with my little play pen. I spent the next couple of thousand years taking my time to build up 15 awesome cities uncontested for land or power. Then I just steamrolled over the rest of Europe/Africa, but the damn Yanks stiffed me over the atlantic sinking most of my fleet :@ I then took to the Chinese dude on Alpha Centauri... I like Mind Control lol, then its back to Civ III and the Chinese there, though at the moment my current game (4 quadrangles of land, tied together by an X in the middle) I'm playing as the English. Not something I do often, they usually suck.

i started a new game yesterday on a normal sized map and sadly the hugh slowdowne and game crashes started comming again around the sputnik times, i hope they are going to fix this soon becaus i have an ok computer and i don´t want to play silly duell maps or shit like that :-/

i looked around a bit, there seems to be a memory leak in the sound of that ingame era, if you change sound to simpel stero the game runs super smoth (for me) - but sadly the sound during the videos gets choppy.

Edited by Michael Matzat

I've been impressed so far with it and just as addictive and so on as past titles have been. AI hasn't been bad either, I actually had to start a game again bvecause of it. Basically I'd only been able toreally expand in one direction due to shitty conditions and found next to no useful resources. Unsurprisingly the barbars soon picked up on this and they were attacking en mass with technologically superior forces almost every turn, first cuttting road links to the rest of my empire before taking out cities one by one. Really impressive so far.