Official Civilization Thread

Guest Mr McFarlane

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I loaded the game again and again after the first time and now every leader just has eyes and teeth and the terrain barely shows up. Little help?

Oh and by the way, it's not to do with my specs, I'm practically running the recomended requirements.

Edited by Benjirino~!

Okay I loaded the game again and again after the first time and now every leader just has eyes and teeth and the terrain barely shows up. Little help?

Oh and by the way, it's not to do with my specs, I'm practically running the recomended requirements.

check out the forums on Civfanatics I had a quick look down there but without knowing what's going on with your screen I can't really see what in the tech support would help (if anything)

This might be the most buggy game I've played bar TEW04. Christ it just doesn't want to know.

Woot, my parents came to visit me just to hand the game off to me yesterday. I said thanks and ran off back to uni. Leaving my dinner uneaten in the pub.

Only kidding. I ate the dinner then left.

Now I'll be honest, I was apprehensive when I first entered the game. It seemed like its workings had changed TOO much. The screens etc are all different and I didnt like that, and I wish the advisors were kept just to keep a kind of trend in the games. BUT...

I set the alarm clock for half an hour (the BEST feature in the game is that clock lol). I played right through the alarm, for an hour and a half. The game is as addictive as ever and the introduction of Age of Empire style fishing boats (or Alpha Centauri style Sea Transformers... whatevers your fancy)... is something i've been wanting for ages. Hurrah!

The borders work great as well, much more like Alpha Centauri (for those who dont know, that was Sid - Civ Creator - little side project away from Civilization... same game mechanics, the diplomacy though was and continues to be 1000 times better, and so does the unit creation.. you get components with research, and design countless combinations of troops)... you cannot go inside someones terrain without a free passage agreement and this adds a great strategy element. Fori nstance in the game i'm playing, I've practically cut the map off in half by the way ive lined up my cities. And i've sandwiched the Spanish heathens (Buddists) between my Holy Hindu's and my most friendly Arab friends. Bwahaha. I only wish there was like a stat check for me to see how many "free" units ive earned, and how many i'm using. Cos at the moment im 100% research and don't know when to switch it over to taxes but want to build a war machine to take some Spanish Gold~~~~

EDIT: Ohh and btw, the research is non-linear. You can learn medieval stuff before ancient stuff. Which makes trading very interesting.

Edited by EZE

check out the forums on Civfanatics I had a quick look down there but without knowing what's going on with your screen I can't really see what in the tech support would help (if anything)

Dramatic finish to the game. Coming up to 2050 I was second but quite a way behind, both the Egyptians and English had blitzed me in the E-lliance at one stage and we never quite recovered and I was well and truly in the shit. 2040 I rush built the United Nations trying to make one last gambit for victory. Building completed in Rome, the vote comes around, me versus the relatively uneventful, yet highest scoring Chinese leader which I won due to strong votes from my Russian and French allies.

2047 I get the chance to notion for diplomatic victory and fully take advantage opf the chance. 2049 the results are in and... I failed, negative votes from a jealous Mao and the E-lliance meant that I failed by 6 VOTES cue time getting ahead of the game and Mao holding on for the win. Next time Mao, next time...

I remember that happening in III. It was a Play The World scenario - Tower of Babel, on Regent - and I'd raced ahead of everyone in technology. I then started to take over some cities; nothing major, just eliminating a couple of civilisations I though could be too dangerous.

Then I messed up. I was well into the Modern Era by now, and I decided to have London build the United Nations. I though I'd be safe, due to my sheer superiority, but as is always the way, I was defeated upon it's completion - the other civilisations voted in Germany due to the way I'd treated them earlier.

Great game.

I finished my only Civ 4 game since getting it and: I paid off the Spanish into going to war with the chinese, Then sold iron and oil to the chinese to help them in their war with the spanish. I found that to be amusing.

With 20 turns left, I dropped 2 ICBMs on every other civ, then watched as their transports and frigates circled around my land, unable to do anything for the rest of the game.

I finished my only Civ 4 game since getting it and: I paid off the Spanish into going to war with the chinese, Then sold iron and oil to the chinese to help them in their war with the spanish. I found that to be amusing.

With 20 turns left, I dropped 2 ICBMs on every other civ, then watched as their transports and frigates circled around my land, unable to do anything for the rest of the game.

awesomeness. I'm not taxing my people, trying to get as much technology as possible before big funky wars set in and I need money for troops... well that creates a deficit. I've fixed it by selling resources to all of the countries I know which is funky cool. 1g for each item. Its balanced my budget. I went to war with Spain finally snatching their northern territories but pulled my troops back when they saw the error of their ways (i.e. they paid me 40g and converted to Hinduism, the One True Faith from blasphemious Budda)

I've never played Civ before, but it sounds pretty sweet, so I'm running the system requirements thing, and if I pass I'm gonna go get it today :)

OK, I've passed everything, yet for my RAM it says that the minimum needed is 256MB, yet I have 255.0MB. Its telling me I've passed that by one bar, but I'm not sure if I have.

Shop opens in 5 minutes lads, and I want to start some wars.

CivIv.jpg

That's my results. What do we say? Is it worth it?

According to that doohickey, I'm way past the required bits, but I still experience crashing every so often, usually after some idiot who circumvents the globe decides to give me his world map. It's not that often though, so i don't really mind it, but it doesn't make it any less annoying when it happens. Then again, I have a fetish fo r huge maps, so that could be it.