Official Civilization Thread

Guest Mr McFarlane

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I focus purely on developing and defending. I like games with lots of barbarians, because then I don't feel guilty when I eradicate the enemy.

Try a one-civ game with tons of Barbarians on a very fragmented land and just watch them fucking surround you with battleships suddenly. It's awesome.

Anyone know of any good mods?

And does anyone else have Civ4 Complete? I don't know how to install Fall From Heaven to it. :(

Rhye's And Fall is easily my favourite mod, it just makes way more sense like that. Rebellion uprisings are beyond awesome.

I've recently started playing Civ 3 again and I've run into a problem. I can get maybe 5 cities up and built then after that other civs have surrounded me and I can't place anymore cities without causing war.

Basically i build my capital city followed by a two workers,warrior and another settler. the two workers work the land around the capital. the warrior either defends the capital or goes off searching the land. the settler then goes otu makes the second city and I rinse and repeat.

thanks. I've just noticed that the combat seems to be screwed . one solitary warrior(the opposing civilization)comes and takes out 5 of my swordmen who are guarding my town. seems really weird

One thing I've found with the AI (either in foreign civilization or auto worker form) is that they have a hard-on for building windmills. Does anyone else NEVER build windmills? I mean sure, in the unlikely event that your city is surrounded by nothing but desert (in which case you're a fool to build it there in the first place), then you're going to need food from somewhere. But usually you can either flood the map with farms or get a decent enough food supply from the sea if you're near the coast. A windmill built is a mine (and its valuable shield production) wasted! Never mind the fact that I've frequently seen the AI build windmills on hills with a valuable resource ala iron/coal/aluminium/etc...

Edited by stokeriño

I need some major tips, I have Civ4 - have had for a long time but I never got massively into it. Now I'm getting back into it and I need some major help.

What are the important resources? What do I want as early as possible - like how important is fur and stuff? How do I know if I am being shafted when another civilization give me an offer? Same with technologies and stuff?

Basically I just need some tips on what I should be aiming for at the start of the game as quickly as possible. How to create bigger and better cities as quickly as possible - like do I want lots of mines and stuff giving production nearby. Or just one nearby - a farm and something else etc.?

Just any basic hints and tips, maybe a website that caters to that sort of thing as well would be awesome if there is one people know of. Thanks.

I'm not nearly as good at this game as I'd like.

Important resources? All of them. But the big ones? Horses, food (cows, corn, sheep, pig, ect..), Iron, Oil, also, if you don't wanna be nuked, keep all the Uranium for yourself.

Basically if they are making an outlandish request, "I'll give you our map if you give us 3000 gold, Sailing, Banking, and your third daughter."....if it's going to make you broke, don't take it. Re-offer stuff. Usually tech for tech is a good trade, assuming they are at the same level (Banking for the wheel? Not a fair trade...) Also, I put a lot of effort into getting techs, so that when I am poor, I can sell them to the AI.

For building up your city, without focusing on military at first, you should set cities up near hills (and on one), near resources (as stated above) and focus on improvements that'll help the city (Monument, Granary, ect....anything that helps culture, happiness, growth).

But that is just my opinion.