Official Smackdown vs. Raw Thread

JoeMimic

:D Michael Matzat, #1 fan of the Smackdown series.

I don't have an online PS2, so if the major selling point for Smackdown vs. Raw is the online feature, I won't be buying it.

well asides from smackdowns best subtitles most lickly being something like "we´ll change nothing", "we changed nothing", "we changed nothing;- again" "why are you ideot buying the same game each year, issent the economie down ?" aaaaaaaand "Nothing New" and soon "nothing new - online edition" the stuff that guy phantasised was pritty laughebell in genneral ;)

Seriusly, my problem with smackdown issent that it´s wwe (i loved the WCW/WWF thq n64 games) ore something like that, smackdown just has the exackt same problems with the basic gameplay until smackdown one for PSone, they added tons of crap that COULD be interesting but based on the basic crap gameplay combined with half ass development on the "new" stuff (you cannot realy call it new becaus most of it plays worrs than some aplha game tests i took part in) just kills everything.

Smackdown is a game for Marks, - people that mark for the names they hear on tv, from wrestlers to gimmiks, if people would care for a good game they would hate smackdown . . . what is so cool in having a last man standing match wen you can kill your ennemie with weapons and finishers for 10 minutes with him still getting up at 5 while he can murder you with one right shot ? Whats so fun with HIAC wen your running oponent can hold himself back from falling down the cell while you slide down during the execution of a move becaus people just forgot to put anny collision code in the game besides the "running against the top border of the cell" ? Whats so fun about having a simple tag team match wen the AI is so silly that the tag team partners run in circels "OMFG MY PARTNER IS BEING PINNED WHAT SHOULD I DO ?" ? Whats so fun about falling down 15-20 meters without taking anny damage ? Whats so fun about a story mode that makes no sens AT ALL (ok thats wwe realissem somehow) ? [...manny, manny, houres later...] ZING~!

Smackdown = BAD licens whore, you have no idea how happy i would be about an Wrestling game that has some of thes Matchtypes (3 vs 3 elimination tag, HIAC, cage and some more) well don... but just having them in for the sake of having them in, no matter how bad the genneral game basis and the "gimmik match" development is is just not the way i need it.

i understand that some people wont understand this, i fare to often read stuff like "OMFG i gave that guy 2346234547 stunners in 1342 minutes and than pinned him, smackdown is so cool" and i see that some people just want to overdose themselfs with markouts, i understand that people can get exitment from such flatness, but wen i buy a game, i want to have fun throu what games should bring fun throu, brilliant gameplay, even if that only is reduced to two ore three matchtypes (wen it comes to wrestling games, soccer games most of the time have less ;))

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well asides from smackdowns best subtitles most lickly being something like "we´ll change nothing", "we changed nothing", "we changed nothing;- again" "why are you ideot buying the same game each year, issent the economie down ?" aaaaaaaand "Nothing New" and soon "nothing new - online edition" the stuff that guy phantasised was pritty laughebell in genneral  ;)

Seriusly, my problem with smackdown issent that it´s wwe (i loved the WCW/WWF thq n64 games) ore something like that, smackdown just has the exackt same problems with the basic gameplay until smackdown one for PSone, they added tons of crap that COULD be interesting but based on the basic crap gameplay combined with half ass development on the "new" stuff (you cannot realy call it new becaus most of it plays worrs than some aplha game tests i took part in) just kills everything.

Smackdown is a game for Marks, - people that mark for the names they hear on tv, from wrestlers to gimmiks, if people would care for a good game they would hate smackdown . . . what is so cool in having a last man standing match wen you can kill your ennemie with weapons and finishers for 10 minutes with him still getting up at 5 while he can murder you with one right shot ? Whats so fun with HIAC wen your running oponent can hold himself back from falling down the cell while you slide down during the execution of a move becaus people just forgot to put anny collision code in the game besides the "running against the top border of the cell" ? Whats so fun about having a simple tag team match wen the AI is so silly that the tag team partners run in circels "OMFG MY PARTNER IS BEING PINNED WHAT SHOULD I DO ?" ?  Whats so fun about falling down  15-20 meters without taking anny damage ? Whats so fun about a story mode that makes no sens AT ALL (ok thats wwe realissem somehow) ? [...manny, manny, houres later...] ZING~!

Smackdown = BAD licens whore, you have no idea how happy i would be about an Wrestling game that has some of thes Matchtypes (3 vs 3 elimination tag, HIAC, cage and some more) well don... but just having them in for the sake of having them in, no matter how bad the genneral game basis and the "gimmik match" development is is just not the way i need it.

i understand that some people wont understand this, i fare to often read stuff like "OMFG i gave that guy 2346234547 stunners in 1342 minutes and than pinned him, smackdown is so cool" and i see that some people just want to overdose themselfs with markouts, i understand that people can get exitment from such flatness, but wen i buy a game, i want to have fun throu what games should bring fun throu, brilliant gameplay, even if that only is reduced to two ore three matchtypes (wen it comes to wrestling games, soccer games most of the time have less ;))

What he said. But in English....

:P

I want a better SmackDown!, honestly. I haven't played KoC, but I'd assume anything is better than this garbage.

I play it because it's basically the only semi-decent wrestling game sold in the US. I'm not talking about imports or anything, i'm talking about sold in the US. The WCW games sucked ass, as did the ECW ones.

I think they're just trying to push the graphical limits of the PS2, instead of focusing on the gameplay. I think once they get that down like they want it, they'll focus on the gameplay. *coughsmackdown8cough*.

But yeah. If I didn't have to import KoC, I'd forget about SD! games. But I have to import it, and that's like a no-no in my family or some reason :ohwell:

how can importing be a big no-no ? it´s even cheaper than new european games in most cases.

my parents don't like ordering online. they seem to think companies steal their credit card numbers and use them or something. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to convince my dad to buy a chip & KoC for me.

play-asia dos acept paypal and getting a PS2 chiped usualy is posible everywere nearby, the only question on that point always is how good the shop is and what they are selling you. (do some internet research on that one, go throu ps2 boards, ask about shops in your region and so on)

my edits in red

WWE Smackdown vs. RAW: First Details

Behold wrestling fans: the first screenshots and info from the year's biggest grappling game

Day Of Reckoning?

June 11, 2004 - As passionate as the teams at THQ and Yuke's are about their WWE Smackdown franchise, HA getting them to talk about the next iteration of the series hasn't exactly been easy. Originally announced last month exclusively through IGN prior to the Electronic Entertainment Expo, the sixth installment known as Smackdown! vs. RAW has been quickly transformed into one of the most talked about forthcoming PS2 titles this year. And with speculation and rumors about the game already running rampant, we felt it our duty to get to the bottom of it all so that we could set the record straight.

Sadly that's easier said than done. As our buddies at THQ are keeping tight-lipped regarding the implementation of this year's roster and feature set.

"Honestly, we're just not ready to reveal too much about the game yet, because 90% of the game reamins unchanged" said the THQ representatives we spoke with. "In fact, you guys [iGN] will probably be doing most of the roster revelations yourselves when you kick off your Smackdown Countdown later this year. We like secrets. Secrets are good."

Apparently the roster isn't the only thing remaining covert, though; as THQ has an absolutely massive undisclosed gameplay option that will be announced sometime over the next couple of weeks. Gravy Bowl Match And while we can't get official confirmation as to just what that secret may end up being just yet, the word on the street is that it's that it's the one extra that everyone has been waiting for since the advent of PS2 Network Adapter: Online connectivity. And from what we understand, that's not so far off from the truth.

Speculation aside, we were at least able to confirm several of Smackdown vs. RAW's specifics in relation to what's been left over from last year's effort Here Comes the Pain. Six-person simultaneous play, for instance, has once again been brought back so that players can make the most of a pair of Multi-tap peripherals. And every single one of 2003's game modes have returned to action too; with match types like Hell in the Cell, Slobber Knocker, Table Matches, and First Blood back and bigger than ever. Much to our chagrin, THQ would not confirm any of its new modes or gameplay features in time for us to meet our deadline because there is no new game modes ; though the company representatives did assure us that Smackdown vs. RAW would boast several of them before all is said and done.

Visually the game has been given a boost too. are you somking something? Character models and attire in particular have a lot more detail than they did before, with a continued emphasis on facial recreation and animation. "You're going to freak out when you see this new one in motion," whispered a THQ employee that wished to remain anonymous. "It's easily the best looking game in the series." hmmm, best looking huh? then why does DoR smoke it like a cuban cigar in the best looking category?

Old-school fans should also be pleased to know that legends have been reinstated for the roster as well,yay, less actual roster with a stronger focus on big name stars and classic personalities. And while there will definitely be a few historical grapplers from last year's version to make the rounds all over again, THQ has also included some new representatives to bolster the ranks. We're told that the updated roster will be comprised of some of the biggest classic names in the industry too; but because of ongoing contractual negotiations, can't be named. The Goon, Kamala, Freebird Micheal Hayes, Scott Hall.....

But that doesn't mean that we didn't get the names of some of the planned Smackdown vs. RAW active superstars. As we finally managed to get the THQ guys to spill the beans regarding the lineup. "It will definitely have all the champions in there, how could it not?"OMFG BET YOU IT doenst..... remarked aTHQ rep. "Of course, we'll have several surprises and divas on the list too, but for now, you can bet that the champions and their top contenders will be in there." Specifically, players can expect to see Randy Orton, John Cena, Triple H, Chris Benoit, Shawn Michaels, and Eddie Guerrero. Unforunately we couldn't confirm whether or not Tag Team champ Edge or the oft-wanted La Resistance would be in there.

But secrecy seems to be Smackdown vs. RAWs theme this year. As THQ have plans to reveal details more meticulously than in the years before it. The company did confirm one final tidbit about the game, though, which is its release date: November 2004. And with almost half a year left, the time should give anxious WWE gamers plenty of time to digest exactly what lies before them.

The good news is that your buddies at IGN will be with you every step of the way. As we plan on continuing our popular Smackdown Countdown features from seasons previous with the most information, media, and news regarding the game than anywhere else in the world. In fact, on our media page below we've included the first handful of screenshots taken from a final build. And you can expect us to return again next week (and rather soon at that) with the first official trailer that you won't be able to find anywhere else. Except the other bizillions sites that will steal it So saddle up WWE fans -- today's tidbits was only the beginning. We'll be back again with more next week. and just like the game, it will be the same

WCW Nitro > *

the THQ WCW games rocked ass. Revenge & WCW/nWo Tour were awesome.

Hell yeah.

WCW Vs The World also kicked ass. One thing I loved about WCW Thunder was where you could press the square button and hear the people speak at the character selection part. Now that was cool B)

play-asia dos acept paypal and getting a PS2 chiped usualy is posible everywere nearby, the only question on that point always is how good the shop is and what they are selling you. (do some internet research on that one, go throu ps2 boards, ask about shops in your region and so on)

How do you know it's possible everywhere nearby? Maybe near you...but not everywhere.

Smackdown is a game for Marks, - people that mark for the names they hear on tv, from wrestlers to gimmiks, if people would care for a good game they would hate smackdown . . . what is so cool in having a last man standing match wen you can kill your ennemie with weapons and finishers for 10 minutes with him still getting up at 5 while he can murder you with one right shot ? Whats so fun with HIAC wen your running oponent can hold himself back from falling down the cell while you slide down during the execution of a move becaus people just forgot to put anny collision code in the game besides the "running against the top border of the cell" ? Whats so fun about having a simple tag team match wen the AI is so silly that the tag team partners run in circels "OMFG MY PARTNER IS BEING PINNED WHAT SHOULD I DO ?" ? Whats so fun about falling down 15-20 meters without taking anny damage ? Whats so fun about a story mode that makes no sens AT ALL (ok thats wwe realissem somehow) ? [...manny, manny, houres later...] ZING~!

i understand that some people wont understand this, i fare to often read stuff like "OMFG i gave that guy 2346234547 stunners in 1342 minutes and than pinned him, smackdown is so cool" and i see that some people just want to overdose themselfs with markouts, i understand that people can get exitment from such flatness, but wen i buy a game, i want to have fun throu what games should bring fun throu, brilliant gameplay, even if that only is reduced to two ore three matchtypes (wen it comes to wrestling games, soccer games most of the time have less )

Ok...now as for all that, basically, meh...that's just to complicated. You're asking for to much. Now I agree...the SD's aren't the best, and after a while..they get somewhat repetitive...but so what? It's a game. Not every game you get, is supposed to be 'OMG, BEST. GAME. EVAR.' Like Tristy said...basically it's the only decent wrestling game there is available, because not everyone wants to have to pay a whole different country for a game..that they can not understand. And then have to somehow get a translator and all this extra crap or something.

I mean..and it seems like all this stuff you want..would just make the game, not what it is. And no, I don't mean bad. What I'm saying is, now, SD is simplistic, the gameplay is where you can pick it up and start playing..and most of the time win. There's nothing wrong with that. It's for kids to..not just people who want 'The perfect game'. If my little cousins come over or something and want to play..I don't want to have to be like no, it's to hard for you. Or watching him sit there forever trying to do something...where as the SD game is like an arcade game and he could play as if he's been playing forever.

But seriously..everyone talks of how they care more about the gameplay then the graphics and stuff. But I bet if they had been working on only gameplay from the start...and SDHCTP had ended up looking SD2..people would have been like OMG this game is crap, the graphics suck. Bad liscense whore? Yes. But are you going to go out and make a WWE game that's better? I doubt it. Basically, settle with what you get. It's not like the WWE right now is at it's best..so just think of it as the game being on par with the current product that the WWE is putting out.

Now as I said, I'm not trying to make SD seems like such a great game, or it's like one of the best or anything. I'm just trying to say it's not as horrible as you make it seem. Just because it doesnt compare to 'Some japanese game'...which is like the gaming capital of the world anyways. It's still fairly decent, and there are people that do still play..a lot of people.

How do you know it's possible everywhere nearby? Maybe near you...but not everywhere.

Ok...now as for all that, basically, meh...that's just to complicated. You're asking for to much. Now I agree...the SD's aren't the best, and after a while..they get somewhat repetitive...but so what? It's a game. Not every game you get, is supposed to be 'OMG, BEST. GAME. EVAR.' Like Tristy said...basically it's the only decent wrestling game there is available, because not everyone wants to have to pay a whole different country for a game..that they can not understand. And then have to somehow get a translator and all this extra crap or something.

I mean..and it seems like all this stuff you want..would just make the game, not what it is. And no, I don't mean bad. What I'm saying is, now, SD is simplistic, the gameplay is where you can pick it up and start playing..and most of the time win. There's nothing wrong with that. It's for kids to..not just people who want 'The perfect game'. If my little cousins come over or something and want to play..I don't want to have to be like no, it's to hard for you. Or watching him sit there forever trying to do something...where as the SD game is like an arcade game and he could play as if he's been playing forever.

But seriously..everyone talks of how they care more about the gameplay then the graphics and stuff. But I bet if they had been working on only gameplay from the start...and SDHCTP had ended up looking SD2..people would have been like OMG this game is crap, the graphics suck. Bad liscense whore? Yes. But are you going to go out and make a WWE game that's better? I doubt it. Basically, settle with what you get. It's not like the WWE right now is at it's best..so just think of it as the game being on par with the current product that the WWE is putting out.

Now as I said, I'm not trying to make SD seems like such a great game, or it's like one of the best or anything. I'm just trying to say it's not as horrible as you make it seem. Just because it doesnt compare to 'Some japanese game'...which is like the gaming capital of the world anyways. It's still fairly decent, and there are people that do still play..a lot of people.

Amen Brother.

You have to learn that shops don´t advertise this, almost every smal shop provides that service wen you ask, some send them away some do it themself, some suck, some are great. . . just don´t expeck it being advertised all over the shop. - Big Shops like walmart ore such of cause don´t want to piss sony of and therefore don´t provide such services.

Ok...now as for all that, basically, meh...that's just to complicated. You're asking for to much.

I am asking for a good game for good monney, if thats to much i don´t know what to say...

Now I agree...the SD's aren't the best, and after a while..they get somewhat repetitive...but so what? It's a game. Not every game you get, is supposed to be 'OMG, BEST. GAME. EVAR.'

I am ot asking for the best game ever, i am asking for a game that dossent suck harder than jenna jameson.

Like Tristy said...basically it's the only decent wrestling game there is available, because not everyone wants to have to pay a whole different country for a game..that they can not understand. And then have to somehow get a translator and all this extra crap or something.

I am not patreotic so i could not care less about giving my monney to "another country", i just think paing people that provide me good stuff helps/motivates them to produce me more good stuff, i seriusly give shit about them being in japan, america, russia ore around the cornor. Besidest afterall, only because you cannot get something better around the cornor, this dos not mean that what you get around the cornor is annywere near good.

I mean..and it seems like all this stuff you want..would just make the game, not what it is.

You mean, bugfree ?

And no, I don't mean bad. What I'm saying is, now, SD is simplistic, the gameplay is where you can pick it up and start playing

it´s not only that i dislike arcade gameplay, thats a matter of tast, what annyoes me about smackdown is that it´s full of logic bugs, half finished coding and so one.

..and most of the time win. There's nothing wrong with that. It's for kids to..not just people who want 'The perfect game'.

your saing this as children would get brain damaged wen they not win all the time, as if a chalange would be something bad.

If my little cousins come over or something and want to play..I don't want to have to be like no, it's to hard for you. Or watching him sit there forever trying to do something...where as the SD game is like an arcade game and he could play as if he's been playing forever.

So your basicle saing that annyone that has developed a brain is silly for plaing smackdown becaus it´s designed for 5 year olds ? And your only buying it because you want to get rid of your cussin wen he comes over so you don´t have to wast anny time on him explaining stuff and such ? (i know i am getting terribley mean :P)

But seriously..everyone talks of how they care more about the gameplay then the graphics and stuff. But I bet if they had been working on only gameplay from the start...and SDHCTP had ended up looking SD2..people would have been like OMG this game is crap, the graphics suck.

If the game would have been better I wouldent have cared, i like FPW, thats 2D wrestling, make your homework.

Bad liscense whore? Yes. But are you going to go out and make a WWE game that's better? I doubt it.

Now your opinion finaly is fully retatrted "you ideot are just complaining, just take a few millions, buy yourown licens and do it better, NOW NOW NOW *cry* - SEEEEE your not doing it, ideot !"

i am sorry but that point just sucks³ (minimum)

Basically, settle with what you get. It's not like the WWE right now is at it's best..so just think of it as the game being on par with the current product that the WWE is putting out.

WWEs product is better, they at least have some good wrestlers and some good matches, wich is something that never hapens in the PS2 game.

Now as I said, I'm not trying to make SD seems like such a great game, or it's like one of the best or anything. I'm just trying to say it's not as horrible as you make it seem. Just because it doesnt compare to 'Some japanese game'

I would dislike it to wen there would be no "japanes game" - it just is FULL bugs that rob anny kind of fun you could have plaing it...

...which is like the gaming capital of the world anyways. It's still fairly decent, and there are people that do still play..a lot of people.

Qualety issent Democratic.

Hell yeah.

WCW Vs The World also kicked ass. One thing I loved about WCW Thunder was where you could press the square button and hear the people speak at the character selection part. Now that was cool  B)

A very nice feature that was.  :smug:

Hey man! Its Alex Wright, the German. If you wanna know, what the Germans are about, pick me, and you will have one hell of a wictory (thats not a typo), I promise!

I even did the hand gestures.

Thunder had some good features. The ability to change stables with the push of a button and have it change both the attire and the interfering members was wicked.

Shame the gameplay sucked.

http://s.ps2movies.ign.com/ps2/video/artic...4_01_qthigh.mov

rightklick, save as

ok, you actually see 7 seconds of the new game that look exactly the same as HCTP, also in the end there is the voice of a commentator i never heard before, earlyer you have your usualy trailertalk dude (i think that guy talks 80% of the english trailer texts, ore they just get mixed to sound all the same)

Edited by Michael Matzat

Pretty good video IMO...Funny how they showed the 'Evolution' of the game. And the graphics don't look bad at all..or blocky. I can't wait for both this and DOR to come out..they look fairly similar and it'll be great to compare. Cena looks to be done very well..

The voice at the end that says SDvsRAW is kind of..umm..weird though.

ok, you actually see 7 seconds of the new game that look exactly the same as HCTP, also in the end there is the voice of a commentator i never heard before, earlyer you have your usualy trailertalk dude (i think that guy talks 80% of the english trailer texts, ore they just get mixed to sound all the same)

Ok..you complain that it looks like HCTP? But you're one of the people who says that graphics don't matter...and it'd be better if they up the gameplay. How do you know they haven't and graphics have taken a backseat this time..even though the graphics don't look bad IMO..how much more 'super realistic' can they get anyways each year until it become virtual reality. Now not saying they have...because gameplay is probaly the same, which I add, I like, but the point still remains, you (we) don't know for sure.

Edited by Media 2.0

i don´t say i don´t care for grafiks, i say i am not a fucking tech whore that only digs OMFG high end GFX, i dig qualety GFX, if they are 16 ore 16 million bits.

As for grafiks in this video

-Promotional Videos always get reworked, if a reworked video looks wors than the original of the last instalment it´s not a good sign

-them changing almost nothing wen it comes to GFX already tells you that it most likly only will be the usual update, sinc the only thing they ever changed realy was, GFX -> more high end.

I don´t know how people can roll in their own piss of joy after seing this video (i am relating to a german web board here, were everyone goes crazy like hell about this pice of nothing.

I love it how i am "the ennemy" because i have points against the smackdown games, bringt up good Points instead of just lecturing me with stuff thats 50% made up...