Official Smackdown vs. Raw Thread

JoeMimic

how does online play work? Do i need to get a new cable? what? I dont see it happening for me, so like A-Dub said, their better be something worthwhile for offline users, and the game better not be faulty like HCTP, the CD died after a month, piece of shit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Details...

Online play, in fact, was the first order of business. As several IGN readers have reported to us that they have received Beta Test requests from Sony to participate in a Smackdown! vs. RAW Internet trial. And while there have been plenty of arguments among fans today as to whether or not this request is real, we can confirm that the emails are definitely legitimate.

"Sony has begun the online beta program for Smackdown! vs. RAW," said THQ's Head of Media Relations, Liz Pieri, in a comment to IGN earlier today. "But THQ has yet to announce online play as a confirmed feature in the game."

Now in the off chance that you don't speak videogame lingo or aren't familiar with the beta-testing process, an online beta test for Smackdown! vs. RAW doesn't necessarily confirm the feature 100%. Instead, it means that the company is looking into the possibility of adding it to the final game and is evaluating it to see if it works. If the online feature doesn't work exactly how the developers want it to, then it won't make it into the final game, could be scaled in terms of size, or be re-worked into something else entirely. Those possibilities are why THQ hasn't officially announced online play up to this point and still won't -- as even though the feature is now more likely going to happen than not, THQ is still not sure if it will make it all the way to the end of the development process (see Uru: Beyond of Myst for the PC as a good example of this).

But now it's time to move into the realm of what definitely will be in Smackdown! vs. RAW: The Parking Lot Brawl. Announced as the only new match type this year, the PLB is pretty much just what it sounds like; a specialty match that takes place in the parking lot behind the arena. While in this match, players will be able to interact with and destroy just about everything in the environment -- be it cars, trucks, limos, or whatever else happens to be hanging around. The level of destructibility of these objects is still being determined, but Product Manager Devin Knudsen did confirm that doors, hoods, and other similar pieces can all be smashed around like crazy -- which is a pretty promising start.

Knudsen also confirmed at least nine superstars who will make the final roster whose number is still not finalized. The nine confirmed grapplers are: John Cena, Randy Orton, Booker T, Ric Flair, Batista, Triple H, Chris Jericho, Rico, and Charlie Haas. Additionally, we learned that Jim Ross, Jerry Lawler, and Eric Bischoff will also be in the game in a greater capacity than they were before. Whether or not that means that they'll be playable as active members of the roster or have a more prominent mode in career mode remains to be seen.

Finally, THQ touched on some of the more presentational aspects of Smackdown! vs. RAW and revealed that for the first time in the series' history, the game will receive all-new music for the menu screens and in-game wrestling matches (thank the heavens!). What makes this musical enhancement even more interesting, though, is the fact that it will boast licensed tracks from established industry stars. Who these bands or individual singers will be, however, have not yet be revealed.

Another new presentational tidbit that's sure to please fans is the fact thay all the transition screens from Smackdown! and RAW television programming (ie: the graphics used to illustrate championship matches, the 'tale of tape' versus screens, and similar pre and post-match visuals) has been included as well, and the championship belts can finally be used as a weapon during matches. Even better, is that in an effort to add even more realism, Yuke's has implanted a new blur filter effect for submission moves to illustrate the pain or grogginess associated with the pain (it's also possible that this effect will be used for powerful blows to the head as well, but THQ still hasn't finalized that yet).

Unfortunately, that's all we have for now. But it's definitely the most about Smackdown! vs. RAW that's been revealed so far. Before we go, though, be sure and click on our image above to view a handful of brand new screenshots taken from the most recent build. They're pretty sweet too, and illustrate the fact that Yuke's has increased each character's polygon count by 25%. Expect us to return with more on SvR in the coming weeks and look for a definite answer as to whether or not the online mode will stay by watching this space.

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-20040716033214966.jpg

I can dig that...

But now it's time to move into the realm of what definitely will be in Smackdown! vs. RAW: The Parking Lot Brawl. Announced as the only new match type this year, the PLB is pretty much just what it sounds like; a specialty match that takes place in the parking lot behind the arena. While in this match, players will be able to interact with and destroy just about everything in the environment -- be it cars, trucks, limos, or whatever else happens to be hanging around. The level of destructibility of these objects is still being determined, but Product Manager Devin Knudsen did confirm that doors, hoods, and other similar pieces can all be smashed around like crazy -- which is a pretty promising start.

shows how cheap they are, cant even be bothered to add ACTUAL matches, just sticka backstage area and make it a match.

Knudsen also confirmed at least nine superstars who will make the final roster whose number is still not finalized. The nine confirmed grapplers are: John Cena, Randy Orton, Booker T, Ric Flair, Batista, Triple H, Chris Jericho, Rico, and Charlie Haas. Additionally, we learned that Jim Ross, Jerry Lawler, and Eric Bischoff will also be in the game in a greater capacity than they were before. Whether or not that means that they'll be playable as active members of the roster or have a more prominent mode in career mode remains to be seen.

the problem is the character models have been ripped from DoR and ported over, so that it looks like they have been working hard

Finally, THQ touched on some of the more presentational aspects of Smackdown! vs. RAW and revealed that for the first time in the series' history, the game will receive all-new music for the menu screens and in-game wrestling matches (thank the heavens!). What makes this musical enhancement even more interesting, though, is the fact that it will boast licensed tracks from established industry stars. Who these bands or individual singers will be, however, have not yet be revealed.

i think this is the ONLY real update to the series at all, the music. if they can get lisenced music then finally everyone can shut up about Kane's Music not being in.

Another new presentational tidbit that's sure to please fans is the fact thay all the transition screens from Smackdown! and RAW television programming (ie: the graphics used to illustrate championship matches, the 'tale of tape' versus screens, and similar pre and post-match visuals) has been included as well, and the championship belts can finally be used as a weapon during matches. Even better, is that in an effort to add even more realism, Yuke's has implanted a new blur filter effect for submission moves to illustrate the pain or grogginess associated with the pain (it's also possible that this effect will be used for powerful blows to the head as well, but THQ still hasn't finalized that yet).

again, sounds pretty decent. although im waiting for everyones dissapointment when edit-a-wrestler wont be in :smug:

But as has been said before...one of the biggest reasons you aren't able to edit wrestlers, is so you have to buy the next one for updated attire basically. For instance..No Mercy, you could basically create whatever you wanted...and if another one had came out, there are a lot of people who wouldn't have bought it because of the mindset that...well they already have all the stuff that's in the next one. And here's more screens..

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-20040716033214591.jpg

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-20040716033213935.jpg

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-20040716033214263.jpg

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-20040716033213607.jpg

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-20040716033210388.jpg

Edited by Media 2.0

Another new presentational tidbit that's sure to please fans is the fact thay all the transition screens from Smackdown! and RAW television programming (ie: the graphics used to illustrate championship matches, the 'tale of tape' versus screens, and similar pre and post-match visuals) has been included as well, and the championship belts can finally be used as a weapon during matches.

WWE RAW 2 already had something like this, The loading screen was a graphic with the moving wrestlers that RAW does on TV

Online Mode & Actual Music..

I so can't wait for this game :P

Well HCTP wasn't TOO horrible of a game...so they aren't gonna just completely revamp it because a small portion of the people who play it want it to be...After HCTP came out...the music, and the fact that there was no online play was actually two of the biggest things complained about...so they added it.

the problem is the character models have been ripped from DoR and ported over, so that it looks like they have been working hard

And how'd you come to that conclusion exactly..? I mean, just looking at those few screens I posted, they don't even really look like them. Little things like Bookers hair...and Batista looks freakin awesome. This really will be a graphics battle this year...

And HCTP models didn't come from WMXIX...

I don't know about you guys, but when my brother brought Soccom we got the free online play thing free with it. Then basically we just use the modem to connect. We got NTL out and they gave us a blue adapter for the back of our modem, which means we can be on here and playing online on the PS2 at a time, which is pretty cool.

The new screens look great, online great, music great, but please tell me they aren't only adding one match? Please just add more match's, like buried alive or huge hardcore battles or just something else. Also I hope they update the ladder match's most of all, I detest that you can only always grab the title and hang there for five seconds, its so gay if you ask me. Also new moves with ladders, chairs, tables etc would be really cool.

Other than that I loved HCTP, so yeah I'll be getting this first day.

• Admin

I was wondering around GameFAQ's, and picked up this info, apparently from PSM Magazine

1. New Grapples. Grapple while sitting on the mat.. Pick up opponents halfway and perform moves from this postion. Some moves will auto end in this postition.

2. Counter Difficulties. Quick and Signature grapples will be harder to counter then Submission and power grapples. Each grapple state has will have a counter difficulty.

3: Chop battles. Those classic exchages that happen in every match now are in SVR. Initiated during a grapple and ending on the third chop. Each turn uses a power and accuract meter not unlike gold games.Max the power and you get another shot. Max the power on the last shot and the person will fly to the mat.

4: Heel and Face Specials. Before starting a match players choose between face and heel. Each has a corasponding meter in the hud. When it feels a up a tilt of the right analog stick will allow faces to become invincable for a short amount of time <like hulking up> and heels can pull a dirty move that the ref will not see. Like eye rake or brass knuckles or low blows.

5: Submissions. In SVR a time based meter will appear giving the opponent a chance to either reverse or escape the submission. To balance this players can apply more pressure to the move and make th counter meter shake. Partners can now break up submission moves like pins. <its about time>

6: Charisma. Each wrestler now has a Charisma attribute. The higher the stat the more adrenaline you get when taunting. face and heel meters will fill faster.

7: Interactive beginings. SVR will now feature these. as well as tests of strenghts. In a stare down the player first to hit the displayed button gets the first hit. Shave bettles are meter based like the chop battles. Tests of strength will prompt a player to hit a button at the correct time. Each intune button hit sways the strenght towards one the winning player.

8: Heel boost. Think the ref had a long two count? Argue with him about it. Dotn want to give up your submission hold when the ref calls a rope break. hold onto it longer. While risky will benefit the heel player and boost the heel meter.

8: Belt weapon. During fights with a title holder the belt will become avaliable as a weapon. And weapons have tweaked power so hits with the weapons garner a more real responce.

9: Improved weight detection. It has been improved on. And now weight detection is included for finishers.

10: Mode Tweaks. Royal Rumble and Bra and Panties matches featre new mechanics such as improved wrestler throwing mechanics and the ability to control your tag partner respectively.

11: Manger Action. Mangers will now climb the apron to distract the ref or will pull the ref out during pins. Pulling the ref out will add to the heel meter.

12 Voice overs All the wrestlers in the game will have voices from the real life counterpart. Licensed music and commentary that does not repeate itself nor say things that have nothing to do with the action or matches,

13: Online? All signs point to online play of some kind or another. Rumors say its online now in testing and will be included if is fun and bug free.

NEW THINGS

Create a Belt

Make money in Season mode and live out your belt designing fantasies. Players have access to a wide variety of belt parts. You can compete for these belts in the new Create a PPV mode.

Create a PPV. A feature wanted for ages. This mode allows players to create a PPV and play it out with buddies. Title holders will not be linked to Season mode.

Challange. Play through a series of matches with set requirements. Like use two finishers in one match or defeat 4 legands with 1 character. Completing these reqs earns you money.

Guest SelfHighFive

I'll put money on it the WWE gets all their little licensed music for the loading screens and CAW.... and they still fuck up half the roster's music like they always do.

A Parking Lot Brawl & onling play isn't going to get me to go buy this game if that's all they're adding...

Looks like the new X-Box game is my best ticket.

Guest SelfHighFive

It sounds like they're combining elements from the Legends games to me and adding in a couple things of their own to it. They're gonna need to really impress me in order to buy this game new. I'm sick of dropping $50 on a game that only has anupdated roster and a couple new elements to it.

Maybe if they fucking actually redid the moves that have been in the games since Smackdown 1. Are they really that lazy that Big Show needs to have the same Chokeslam for 6 games?

Readable PMS scans..which also contain gameplay pics.

scan77.jpg

scan78.jpg

scan79.jpg

Create a belt looks awesome...you can even create the way it looks it looks like.

scan80.jpg

This game is just looking better and better..but the bad thing is, with all this new stuff theyre implementing, it looks like it may crowd the screen a little. But like in the Benoit/HHH pics evidently you can turn them off in this game too so yea..But it still looks bad ass.

I haven't read it yet, but where it was posted..there seems to be some 'controversy' something about two memory cards or something...so yea.

Wow some people still moaning about it not being a good game even though it'll be by far the best wrestling game realesed to date.

The gamefaqs stuff I read like yesterday but someone didn't think it was all that real. Create a belt and PPV hasn't been mentioned by THQ or Yukes from what I've read, or maybe I've missed something. The face/Heel meter thing sounds awesome.

HCTP was a great game, so if this is like twice as good then you cant go wrong with it.

Edit - In that PSM scan thing, is that create a belt picture? If so then....YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Second Edit - Okay now I read it all properly and Create a PPV and Belt is in, oh my god this is going to rock harder than ever fucking hell yeah!

Edited by JohnnyPerfect