The Darkhorse

GRIFT

Thanks, I think you will find that Luke's matches will always be the best on the card-- simply because I give them much more depth in the report.

The way I look at it is for all the other matches Luke is like a road agent.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I checked out their site as research and the actual card for this show is massive. They try to fit their entire roster into one show. Unfortunately in the game I can only run a 8 (9 if you count the pre show) segment show at this point (a large show.) I was going to have a couple of hype interviews but didn't know enough about some of the workers to actually pull on off that wasn't shat.

And I had quick summaries for interviews... but I may have to resort to them from time to time.

Edited by The Grifter

Chapter Three: Finding Work

Pt One: JAPW

After the show I realized that my next USA Pro event wasn’t for another 20 days. So I have most of the month free. As it stands I am not working on the 4th of July. I hope to remedy that.

The first thing I did when I woke in the back seat of my Metro, was hop out of the car and made for the nearest 7-11 and hoped into their phone booth searching for work. First I tried my old buddy Fat Fred and tried to get some work at JAPW while I was in the area. He’d surely have something for me.

“Fred, how are you doing? This is Darkhorse Luke Ripley.”

“Luke, it is good to hear from you. I hear you are in New York. That is great. Word on the net is you pulled one hell of a match out of the big man last night,” Fred replied.

Fred was a rather nice man. Nothing like his booker… or by now x-booker Ray Sayer.

“Flattering me wont lower my asking rates for work Fred,” I quipped.

“Oh so you are looking for work eh? That is what I have always liked about you Luke, you shoot from the hip,” Fred said, “You are like a real life, walking, talking, ‘Man without a Name.’ Are you still smoking those short stubbed cigars?”

“Remember Fred, from the hip. Keep focused. They want me to continue my program with Malice here at their next show. I am supposed to come back and challenge him again but that isn’t until July. So I was hoping that while I was in the area I could jump onto a few of your cards,” I said.

“Luke you know I always love to have you on my cards,” he began, “Our next show is on June 19th. How do you feel about facing--”

“June 19th?” I interrupted.

This was taking a turn for the worse.

“Yes. Is there an issue?” He asked.

“Yeah, that is when my next USA Pro show is. You guys aren’t having a big Forth of July blowoff show?” I inquired.

“No, most of the workers want the time to spend with their family. Can’t get anyone to work that night. To be honest I was looking forward to spending some with my own.”

“I see. Thanks anyways. Maybe another time then.” I said coldly.

“Sorry, champ.” Fred said offering his sincere apology.

I hung up the phone. Damn it all. June freakin’ 19th.

Pt. Two: PWI and the Wiseguy

I had called 5 other feds, some as far as Canada and nearly everyone gave me the same line, “No show on the 4th, we have a big show on the 19th though!” I had been in that damn phone booth for 3 hours and I had spent 5 dollars in quarters. Not to mention, that at present, a 3-person line has built up waiting for the booth.

It wasn’t about working with convenience anymore—it was about working period.

Alright, here goes nothing I thought as I dialed the number to the PWI talent crew.

“Hello, Pro Wrestling Iron talent division can I help you?” A voice called out.

By this time I was frantic, and no longer able to face another disappointment.

“Yeah, hi-- before we go any further is your next show on June 19th?” I said. I think I may have legitimately frightened the poor fellow.

“Um…”

“Hey, some of us need the phone too mister!” the old woman who was next in line said.

“Yes, yes, I know don’t worry I am almost finished here, just give me a break.” I replied as politely as I could at that point.

“Sorry what was that sir?” The voice asked.

“Sorry, that was an old lady. Is your next show the 19th?” I said.

“I can hear you!” cried the offended old lady.

“No, it isn’t.” said the voice. Yes! Victory I thought! “It is the 18th of June,” he added as he crushed my soul.

“What ever happened to 4th of July wrestling!?” I cried out defeated.

“No one will work 4th of July. They want to see their family.” He replied

“Hey, hurry up there buddy!”

Great, the person behind grandma looks like a cast member of the Sopranos. Just what I need now.

“Yeah, I am getting to it Gotti!” I replied. WHAT THE FUCK WAS I THINKING.

“What? Gotti? I will show you Gotti!” he said as he made his way past the old woman.

“Listen fella, I don’t want any trouble. I just want to make my calls so I can get some work for the 4th of July. Is that to freakin’ much to ask!?” I said.

“Why would you want to work on the 4th of July?” said the elderly woman, “Don’t you want to see your family?”

That was it.

“No, I don’t want to see my family. I have no freakin’ family alright? I live in the back of my car, the one parked right over there!” I said pointing to my P.O.S., “Now, I am about to get in a fight with Don Corleone over here, and I owe it all to the fact that I followed my dreams of becoming a professional wrestler!”

“Youts are a wrestler?” the babbo said.

“Yes, glamorous isn’t it!” I responded.

“What are you?” he mocked, “Bum Cold Steve Austin? The Crock?” he began to laugh between jokes, “Triple Unemployed!” His cackle was awful. “The Lame! Hey what is your catch phrase? WILL WRESTLE FO FOOD! Who are you? The Undercarder?”

I had taken enough.

“No, I am the last man you wanted to cross.” I said coldly, “I am the man, who is going to kick your ass.”

With that I delivered a shot to the big man’s Adam’s apple that left him gagging. I followed it up with a stiff knee to the face that left him standing with a bloodied nose.

“My name is Darkhorse, and this is my finisher.” With that I dropped him with my STO the Riptide. Once I got up I tossed a couple quarters onto his unconscious chest and lit one of my short cigars.

“Your call is on me.”

Edited by The Grifter

This is very interesting, it's well thought out and I always listen to music when reading these diary's here, and Victory from Fight Night came on, and it fit almost perfect got me really into it. I like what you have so far although because the text is so small during the show I honestly was not able to get into that part. The red is a good contrast but unfortunately it didn't contrast with anything like the winners or what was bolded.

Anyway that's just a suggestion, the story part size doesn't bother me because each excerpt from Luke's point of view captures my attention enough to have read through it, but the shows are always the hardest for me to read and because of the size it was just a chore to read for my own eyes.

Good luck in the future, looks like you got a winner here, just got to get some post up and I guarantee somewhere down the line this one will probably have a following because it's actually a pretty good idea to change games and keep up with the superstar.

The only thing i dont really like is the size of the font. Its killin my eyes to read it, and i keep reading cause its good. If it was just a little bigger it would be great.

Guest Rubber Band Man

It seems that Baby Hewey has the same problem. I keep telling him to fix his font and he ignores me. That's okay though because my freakin opinon just doesn't seem to matter anymore to anyone. My family doesn't even care.

Now that I'm done ranting.....

I really liked the last update. The whole looking for work thing.... The fight kept me interested to. Can't wait for the next update.

Now here's an interesting premise. A diary that focuses on a single wrestler, who moves through multiple genres of wresting, through multiple shows, through multiple opponents, and possibly even through multiple gimmicks. How will an indy use a Dark Horse as opposed to a national fed? It could go in a variety of directions and be very good. My advice would be get to the goods and stop fooling around with posts dealing with his drunkenness, comedy, his angst or endless words about him searching for work. Put him in a wrestling situation and tell us how he reacts.

Edited by Nottavictim

I personally like the drunken comedy, but that's just me. The Darkhorse and I have the same sense of humour, and we both smoke, which is excellent (although I draw the line at cigarillos, bloody things smell like socks!). Were I a pro wrestler, chances are I'd be a lot like Luke Ripley. As such, I am a Darkhorse mark and an avid reader of this diary. So much so, it's going in my sig.

RK!

I, personally, don't mind the out of ring segments but i'm not that keen on all the comedy, i liked "The Crock" stuff, but you wouldn't say "My Name Is Darkhorse and this is my finisher." That just sounds stupid, heh.

At least your finisher isn't the leg drop of doom, i could picture you running around the 7/11 before sitting on the guy :P

I, personally, don't mind the out of ring segments but i'm not that keen on all the comedy, i liked "The Crock" stuff, but you wouldn't say "My Name Is Darkhorse and this is my finisher." That just sounds stupid, heh.

At least your finisher isn't the leg drop of doom, i could picture you running around the 7/11 before sitting on the guy :P

Yeah, I was hoping to suspend a little bit of reality there and go for something a little over the top. Think of this as less like real life, and more like a cheesy movie.

I was going to wait to do this, but I guess now is as good a time as any, I would appriciated it if you could give me a little feed back about the main character and namesake of this diary, Luke Ripley. If you could PM, Email, or hit me up on aim with some more focused critique on that, I would be greatful BUT PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR FEED BACK FOR THIS SURVEY.

I don't want to clutter the board. :D

If you really want to earn my good graces, you could fill out this more structured critique and send that to me at any point in the diary you see fit. You can even submit more than one.

1. How do you precieve Darkhorse?

2. Who/Where would you like to see Darkhorse wrestle?

3. What do you think this Diary needs More/Less of?

4. Do you prefer the matches or the story aspects of the diary?

5. What is the strongest/weakest point in this diary?

6. Additional comments:

Feel free to post the average feedback like this was any other diary, but limit that survey to PM's, AOL and Emails.

You can contact me at:

dephixliod@hotmail.com

Or

GrifterWLD on AIM.

Thanks too all of you who have been reading so far!

Oh, and to address one reoccuring theme: I intend to make the text larger during shows-- but I will keep it shrunk for story pieces.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter Four: A Man of Honor

Pt. One: Change of Luck

It is June 23rd and I am sitting on a luxury bus in Queens that is headed to Philly. Why? Well my luck took a turn for the better, and I found some work with RoH. They inquired about me with my ol’ buddy at JAPW. Apparently the boys at RoH have been following my work for a few months after hearing about my performance in the IWA-PR Cup-Ultimo. They are putting onto a card tomorrow and then again at the their Red, White, and Blood card. To be honest I was surprised they were interested in me at all. I have never actually considered applying for work with some of the bigger companies. I guess I always assumed they were out of reach.

Also and surprisingly there have been no assault charges pursued against me for what I did the other day. I don’t know what I was thinking. It was incredibly stupid and I was almost certain that I am going to get sued-- or even worse arrested. I even gave that goon my name, and occupation. Cool Luke, real cool. But again nothing has come from it– yet.

For the most part I have been working at the regional level, taking brief stints outside of the country.

If I can prove myself with RoH tomorrow it will solidify me in what would be my biggest stint yet.

So here I am on a One Of A Kind Tour bus headed down to meet my destiny. One Of A Kind Tours have held numerous bus trips to both ECW and ROH shows, and in the process, they have earned a loyal fan base. Some die hard fans even come down from Boston for every show. Sure beats my Metro...For those of you who haven’t been following Ring of Honor Wrestling as of late, Samoa Joe is the reigning heel heavyweight champion currently feuding with face Homicide. Samoa has been using cowardly tactics to evade Homicide and keep his title. The RoH officials have decided not to let Homicide to wrestle at the next show due to a hand injury. Although he could wrestle he is not nearly 100% and in RoH if you can’t put on your best performance, you don’t perform. So RoH is promising to find a high caliber performer to replace the demonic Homicide in his match against John Walters.

Most are expecting Walters to take on one of the members of the newly formed heel stable, Generation Next consisting of Jack Evans, Austin Aries, Alex Shelley, and Roderick Strong..

Homicide will be in Essington, PA for the show and insists the RoH better let him wrestle... or the demon will rise.

But he will not be the man who faces Walters... not at all

RoH: The Honor of Battle

June 24th.

The show opened with one hell of a match between tag team champions CM Punk/Colt Cabana and Da Hit Squad.

Second City Saints III vs Da Hit Squad

Punk and Cabana played the part of the heels perfectly in this match. I was truly impressed by their psychology in this match. Most of the match they were being over powered by the larger members of Da Hit Squad, but they picked their spots and hit several classic heel tag team spots.

Punk and Cabana utilized an array of basement dropkicks to the knees to cut their opponents down to size for much of the match and in the end they were able to win by way of CM’s patented Pepsi Plunge.

I think that The ROH Tag Team titles gained image due to this match. The longer they keep the titles on the Saint’s the better in my book. Both Maff and Mack seemed to get very little from the crowd. While they were the faces in this match at about the half way I could have sworn that the Saints were being cheered and the Hit Squad was being jeered. Perhaps a gimmick change is in order. But what do I know– my gimmick has been confused for a George Harrison reference.

All attention was then taken from the celebrating Saint’s and drawn to the arriving Homicide. That guy looks legitimately scary. If one thing can be said about him it is that he has a definite presence and a stare that Lee Van Cleef would be hard pressed to match.

“When’s my match with Waltah’s bitch?” he terrorized a lowly tech guy in the back who in turn scurried away.

Suddenly Homicide comes to a stop and the camera shows a security crew blocking his entrance into the locker rooms.

“Sorry, but we can’t permit you to pass,” said the officer who was either in charge, or simply the bravest, “We have strict orders to stop you using any force necessary.”

“Well, you gunna have to earn your keep tonight boys,” Homicide added with a smirk, “But for now I will sit.”

And with that Homicide pulled up a chair and said directly facing the crew of security gaurds.

Up next was a through away match between Teddy Hart and Prince Nana.

Ted Hart vs Prince Nana

Hart receive a decent reaction, but Nana was not as fortunate. T. Hart looked like he was working a tad stiff to me but his stiffness paid off in appearance. Poor Nana’s chest was beat red by the end of the match due to the chops Teddy landed on him

Nana had a brief moment of offense that came in the form of a right hand and a few suplexes but for the most part this match was all about Hart. Perhaps the most spectacular maneuver of the night came in this match when Ted hit a DDT from the top rope.

Shortly following Ted Hart had Prince Nana down on the canvas ascended the corner for a big Splash that gave him the win. Ted Hart climbed each turnbuckle in turn, working the crowd as poor Nana rolled out of the ring.

For whatever reason Ted Hart and Prince Nana didn't 'click' in this match. I think Nana felt intimidated due to the absence of his heat and to be honest he looked a little self conscious about being in the ring with Ted.

Yes, much like that dirty tramp who didn’t put out on my junior prom night, this match didn’t deliver the goods.

Next up the new stable Generation Next came strutting out to the ring as nonchalantly as ever. Once in the ring their fearless leader, Alex Shelly, took the microphone.

“I am absolutely outraged with the officials of the RoH. Only one live event removed from the inception of Generation Next, only one event removed from a night when hope for the world of wrestling was reborn, and they have already squandered our talents and neglected to book a single member of the stable in a match,” He complained.

“All anyone s talking about backstage is who do the suits have for J. Walters to face? Who is the mystery opponent? Well, last time I faced Walters he tapped like a little $%^&*. I mean, even a dead second rate place like Philadelphia deserves to experience GenNext– well maybe not Philly.”

That piece of nice cheap heat garnished a fair amount of reactions from the crowd.

“This is a clear example of the ‘Old Gaurd’ in RoH trying to take center stage. This is an example of the established stars, and the office, holding back the talent of the future. This will not be tolerated. Tonight Generation Next is going to take action. Tonight we will break one of the vets, and when we do– when you boys in the back who forgot to schedule us see what we do to him– you are going to wish you put us in a match.”

They all are continuing to gain overness from this angle, and their involvement in this stable. I hope they continue this angle. It could seriously propel RoH into the next level. It is kind of like an entire group of Randy Orton’s all with the legend killer gimmick... Then again–

Low-Ki vs Michael Shane

Shane might get a lot of respect in NWA:TNA but on this night in Philly, HBK’s protege was Low Ki’s bitch.

This match was a squash at best. Low-Ki brutalized Shane with spin kicks aplenty. He seriously may have unloaded his entire arsenal of kicks on Michael. Back heels, spinning, calf, dropkicks, roundhouses, superkicks, and buzzsaws. Low Ki even his a kick from the top rope that may have snapped Shane’s breast bone.

In the end it was the Ki-Krusher 99 the brought this slaughter to a close. But then, at the end of the match as if Shane hadn’t already endured enough punishment Low-Ki placed him in the tree of woe position and released a flury of kicks to his abdomen and topped it all off with a vicious baseball slide from the opposite end of the ring.

Low-Ki did a good job to show his new found mean streak here. I don’t think anyone could have possibly asked for more.

Next a nice campy little video is played recapping the recent events that have transpired between World Champion Samoa Joe and Homicide. It highlights Homicide dominating Joe at GenNext, and return to his old and wild self complete with his trusty fork only to see Joe defeat Homicide with a brainbuster in the matches closing moments to retain the title. Then it shows the press conference in which the RoH officials mandated that Homicide would not be allowed to wrestle– promising a competent opponent for Walters.

Mystery Opponent vs John Walters

Walters was out first and as soon as he got into the ring he called for his music to end and for a microphone.

“Alright now, now it is time to finally get the answer to the question we have all been asking for the past few days: Who is my opponent tonight,” he demanded. “If it isn’t a Gen Next’er and it isn’t Homicide, then who?”

Suddenly the lights dimmed and Animal by Pearl Jam began to play with that, I took my cue and made my way out and began to walk down the aisle. I was presently surprised to be met by a decent reaction. Some of these people actually recognized me!

I made a slow and methodical approach to the ring. I was the face who never quit in USAPW, but here I was supposed to play a very different part while still bringing the flavor and intensity of the Darkhorse.

When I finally reached the ring I stood toe to toe with Walters and he began to speak, “Yeah, I have heard of you. You are Darkhorse Luke Ripley. You think you are tough stuff don’t you? Well I have...”

And with that I interrupted him with a stiff right and with that the bell rang for the match to start.

Walters was quick to his feet but I was even quicker to hit some punche and a legsweep to take him off of them once again.

Walters countered a sleeper hold by turning it into a jaw breaker but his advantage was short lived as I ended it with a roundhouse kick to his temple. I hit several suplexes on him including a dragon plex that garnished a 2 count. Though I was the heel the crowd was enjoying my piece by piece dismantling of Walters. I set him up for a DDT when our attention was drawn to see that there was a pile of security gaurd bodies and a dented chair where Homicide once was– suddenly he surprised me with a reversal of a DDT into a northernlights suplex. Sneaky bastard.

I went on to take a back suplex, followed by a set of snap suplexs from Walters. Well they were sort of snap suplexes. He set them up rather slopplily. His sloppy offense continued until I backdropped my way out of a piledriver causing him to land akwardly on his arm as planned. Next I moved on to start dismantling his right arm with arm bars, breakers, and every twist imaginable.

After a load of maneuver working over his arm I backed him into the corner and hit a one armed tornado DDT. This sent Walters reeling to the mat where he sold the move brilliantly.

Then just as things looked the grimmest for John and I was signaling for The Riptide, Homicide comes out of the back and into the ring! Homicide spun me around but I ducked his clothesline and rolled out of the ring. The errant clothes line ended up connecting with Walters. Homicide decides to hit the Cop Killa on ol’ Walt for good measure as I sneak back into the ring.! The referee has long since called for the DQ because of the interference of Homicide!

Suddenly I start going punch for punch with Homicide in the ring. He began to take advantage but Samoa Joe comes running down the aisle with a chair! He slides in and connects with a harsh chairshot.

Joe and I stand face to face before shaking hands. Next I lift up the now limp body of Homicide and Samoa Joe nails a chair shot and I follow up with the Riptide, and a Rin D

Samoa then grabs my hand thrusting it into the air in a sign of unity and we exit the ring leaving Homicide a bloody mess within its confines.

But when we try to leave we are cut off by Raven, the top face in the company who has been gone for a lengthy absence since dropping his title.

“Oh Joe, so it seems as though you have formed an alliance in clandestine with a rising Darkhorse. All and in itself this is a simple transaction, a business arrangement that I can respect. But having him fight your battles Joe? This is an unwarranted display of your sheer arrogance and cowardice. Today you have made an example of Homicide, and though this was a paradigm of faulty nature it is an example that shall begat yet another example of more righteous intents,” said Raven.

“What the hell are you getting at?” Joe replied.

“What I am getting at is the example I plan to make of you, right now. In that ring for your title in a match sanctioned by the RoH officials.”

With that Samoa began to throw a fit before sending me into action, but when I went to attack Raven, I was met by a hard right with a pair of brass knuckles that sent me down. Raven then began to brawl with Joe and eventually ended up in the ring where the ref called for the bell.

Samoa Joe vs Raven

The first move made when the match was officially underway was a running knee lift from Raven. Homicide is being put onto a stretcher outside of the ring. Next raven went for a piledriver but Samoa backdrops out. Joe begins to hand out some abuse by means of a barrage of lefts and rights. He pushed Raven off the ropes but Raven hits an elbow that sends Joe staggering backwards.

Another running knee lift from Raven but Joe blocks a punch and scores with a standing spinebuster. 1 - 2 - kick out before the 3. Joe moves on to hit a flying shoulder tackle by Joe that sends Raven crashing hard to the mat.

Joe is looking really dominant here. He sends Raven to the ropes but telegraphs the backdrop and gets The Raven Effect out of no where! Raven crawls over for the pin but suddenly Alex Shelley and Generation Next slides into the ring out of nowhere!

Raven takes a stiff punch to the face and falls to the canvas and the group begins to go to work on the veteren of the ring. The referee calls for the DQ as Alex Shelley continues to lead the attack on Raven. They grab Raven and begin to sit him up for a Pilmanizing when Homicide breaks free from his stretcher and enters the ring with the ring bell and saves the day until GenNext and Joe teamed to attack him beating him down as well, and soon joins Raven down and out on the canvas.

I later join Joe in the ring for some posing as the show closed.

ROH Heavyweight title has gained in image. Homicide is losing overness because of his weak gimmick. Samoa Joe is losing overness because of his weak gimmick.

OOC: Sorry about the extreme lack of updates but the past week was my girlfriends birthday, and I had but one day off from work.

Edited by The Grifter

Yeah Grifter has a unique situation whereas he is heel one place and a face the other.

I hope it plays out well and doesn't confuse anyone.

I personally like the drunken comedy, but that's just me. The Darkhorse and I have the same sense of humour, and we both smoke, which is excellent (although I draw the line at cigarillos, bloody things smell like socks!). Were I a pro wrestler, chances are I'd be a lot like Luke Ripley. As such, I am a Darkhorse mark and an avid reader of this diary. So much so, it's going in my sig.

RK!

I never noticed this and I just wanted to thank you for your readership and the honor of a sig link.

Edited by The Grifter

I like this so far. It is very difficult to do a first-person diary, but you have succeeded so far. The biggest thing I would suggest is don't drop any storylines. If you introduce something, have a plan to follow it up: unlike on-screen wrestling, you can't drop "storylines" in real life at will.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I've been going against you virtually all around the Dome, I felt it was only fair to check your diary where it was (was waiting for an update, but didn't see any), so here's some thoughts:

1. How do you precieve Darkhorse?>>

I percieve Darkhorse as a question mark- he seems to be somewhat young, but at the same time he acts a little too much like a grizzled veteran for it. These things need to be worked out a little bit.

2. Who/Where would you like to see Darkhorse wrestle?>>

I think the style that you're working for his promotions is pretty good, for the most part: You're giving a wide enough array of places for this to work. My question: What would happen if some promotion signs him to a non-written deal? It seems for the most part like he's just leaving each fed as it goes (it might go through if some more time is brought into it.)

3. What do you think this Diary needs More/Less of?>>

I think the diary works more as a serious one- I'm personally not feeling the comedy. However, you're definitely capturing an indy wrestler trying to make it, which is good.

4. Do you prefer the matches or the story aspects of the diary?>>

I think the story aspect's better myself.

5. What is the strongest/weakest point in this diary?>>

I do think that the characteristics you're using work best for it, but I do feel like you could try to focus on the serious aspects of the diary. I also feel like there's some problems with its rosters [most notably having a June game where you push Malice in USAPW, who has been dead for 7 months prior- I didn't notice this diary on the original Dome, so which update are you using?]

Other than that [minor] thing, good diary from the start, and I'm interested in reading some more.

Besides this, it's a good read, and I'm

yeah I realized he died after that first post show... I felt stupid and hoped no one would realize the blunder but you caught me.

On a side note I should have the next show up soon... I will probably edit it into this post. I wrote it last night but lost it due to my own stupidity.

Edited by The Grifter

ROH Red, White, and Blood

The RoH has revamped its Code of Honor. It is now less like a code, and more like a string of polite suggestions. The bookers told me it is supposed to develop more distinct boundaries between heels and faces. Personally, I am not completely sold on the idea. The “Code,” asks opponents to shake before and after every match, respect officials, and keep the playing field fair. It seems like the company is sliding away from the purist attitude that has brought them into focus.

Well the show is about to start. The opening match is a continuation of Ted Hart’s push. This time against a more capable opponent in the form of Trent Acid.

Ted Hart vs Trent Acid

The match started with some solid mat work. These boys are both solid in that aspect but I am more excited to see them take to the air.

Midway into the match Hart hit a spinning bulldog in the corner and stepped out to the apron. Once Acid got back up to his feet Hart nailed a springboard dropkick to his back, that looked pretty cool. Trent Acid took the advantage back with some quick suplexes and nice springboard moonsault.

Seeing the success that came from his springboard moonsault Acid went to the top to attempt another with a little more impact, but was taken down by a show stealing maneuver from Ted who managed to scale the turnbuckles ala Angle and nail a reverse brain buster from the top!

Ted gained some overness from that performance, and to be honest I was quite wowed by the finish.

The Dragon with a fiery show of emotion

Next up, Ricky the Dragon Steamboat came down to the ring marking his first appearance since the horrendous attack he suffered at the hands of Second City Saints leader CM Punk. When he gets into the ring he is met with the biggest pop of the evening. Before he begins to speak a video is shown highlighting the feud he has been involved in on and off for months.

It starts by reviewing when he was selected as a special referee for a bout between CM and AJ Styles. Punk spends most of the match trying to intimidate the Dragon, only to receive a few of his famous chops when he attempts to jump the legend.

Next, it shows the two clashing at ROH Reborn: Stage One, followed by the leg drop through a table at Round Robin Challenge III that many thought would aggravate the back injury that retired Steamboat from wrestling in the first place but much to the crowds amazement, The Dragon returned later that night to hit his famous cross body from the top rope.

Finally it shows the two at Generation Next in a war of words that escalated into a physical confrontation culminating in a hellacious attack on Steamboat who seemed moments away from hitting the cross body before Colt Cabana interferes for his tag partner. The attack was punctuated when Punk grabbed a ring bell and leaped off the top rope driving the bell into Steamboat’s throat exactly like Randy Savage did before their classic clash at Wrestlemania III.

When the video has ended Steamboat begins to speak.

“This company, has long stood for one concept– Honor. This is a concept, a principle, that I hold dearly. So when someone like CM Punk makes such a cowardly act as the one he did at Generation Next– When someone like CM Punk besmirches an entire evening of sportsmanship with one solitude act I tend to react with a sense of fury,” the Dragon said.

“When someone like Punk blasphemes that ring with such a dishonorable act, it takes away from the legacy of wrestling established by honorable men,” Ricky begins to get more emotional with each name.

“Honorable men like Bruno Samartino, Lou Thesz, Joe Stretcher, Buddy Rogers, Andre The Giant! When someone like Punk does that it makes me think about doing things that I might regret. Things that I must beg my family to forgive me for. Things like, for JUST ON NIGHT COME OUT OF RETIREMENT. Things like, go against doctors orders or risk living out the rest of my life as a cripple, all to personally reeducate CM Punk in the art of honor!”

The crowd has now erupted with applause but the mood was dampered when CM Punk appeared at the end of the ramp way. Ricky motioned and called for him to come down into the ring.

“You want me to come down there and fight you right now?” he asked as Ricky furiously shook his head. Punk shrugged his shoulders and began to walk towards the ring much to the satisfaction of the fans who had watched this feud grow for months on end. Suddenly he stops dead in his tracks, “You know what? This town doesn’t deserve the masterpiece I intend to paint with your old carcass! Besides I have a match tonight. How about this? At the very next, RoH event you and I will tango Steamboat.”

“You have got a date!”

With that CM disappeared to the back, as the fans in attendance started a Steamboat chant.

Low-Ki vs Hotstuff Hernandez

Next up Low-Ki was fed another victim. This week it was Hotstuff. Most of this match consisted of Hernandez getting smacked around like a little bitch. Ki destroyed him with the usual combination of blistering chops to the chest and brutalizing kicks.

This was a glorified squash match– heck it was a squash match. The Ki-Krusher 99 was what ended the match but it was by no means where the action stopped. After the match Hotstuff found himself in the same position the Michael Shane was in on our last card.

He was draped in the corner in a tree of woe taking some pretty legit stiff kicks to the abdomen before Ki charged up and delivered a decapitating baseball slide dropkick. The announcers called the move the The Ki of Low.

Quote The Raven Bitch

Our attention is drawn to the backstage area where Raven and Homicide are standing with an interviewing personel.

“Tonight, in the main event you Homicide and you Raven will team together to take on World Champion Samoa Joe and the vicious Darkhorse Luke Ripley. Can I get your thoughts on the match up?” He pried

“Well I’ll spell it out plain and damn simple for your busted ass. Joe wasn’t man enough to get the job done himself so he brought in his hired gun to fight his battles for him. This cowardly little bitch won’t be able to hide behind the

Darkhorse tonight though. Tonight we will put the hurt on them!” Said Homicide as Raven listened intently.

“Indeed, it seems as though the plan that Joe devised to safe gaurd his title reign shall ultimately be his Waterloo. You see he has lulled himself into a false sense of security and in this world there is no greater treachery than that perpetrated unto one’s self. I look at the Darkhorse and I feel sorry for him. I can see his pain. I can see something I know all too well. Sadly I cannot offer Ripley the easy way out. He will be baptized in the flame, along with his employer.”

“Man what the hell are you talkin’ ‘bout? Speak some English you dictionary bustin’ dick,” reacted Homicide.

Raven sighs heavily.“Fine, allow me dumb down my message for you enough that even the most simple of minds may comprehend my message: Tonight we’ll ‘busta cap’ in their ‘bitch asses.’”

The crowd laughs as the segement wraps up. And we segway into the RoH tag team title match.

Second City Saints III vs The SAT

The SAT came out to a mild allotment of applause followed by the Second City Saints who were bathed in boos. CM is quite possibly the single most hated man in the ROH. The match saw the champs dominate for nearly 3 minutes before the SAT looked to have firm control.

After Maximo hit a rolling kick on Punk he tagged out to Joel Maximo and The SAT hit a double suplex. More standard double teaming continued until the ref seperated forced Jose back to his corner allowing Punk a chance to deliver a low blow and take control back.

When all looked lost for the SAT and CM was setting up for the Pepsi Plunge an enraged Ricky Steamboat came running down the aisle and into the ring to clean house on the Saints! This prompts the Ref to throw out the match and Ricky Steamboat went on to hit blistering chops that lit both Cabana and Punk’s chest up. He then dismantled them with his signature arm drags before climbing to the top rope and hitting the Flying Cross Body on Punk! Steamboat sold his back extremely well showing that he is still an injured man as he got back up to the cheers of the crowd who gave him a standing ovation when he finally made his way to the back.

The ROH Tag Team titles have gained in image.

Gen(who’s)Next

Alex Shelley led the group on the microphone again tonight. This time completely. When they got to the ring they taunted the crowds and used stereotypical heel interaction. Kind of bland really but what can you expect from a batch as green as these.

“There was a certain, quote un quote, ‘unstoppable’ wrestler who came out of Atlanta a few years back. Now this guy– SHUT THE HELL UP,” Alex berates a fan, “As I was saying, this guy set off quite the legendary streak of wins and after each match he’d ask the same question.” The crowd says it with him, “Who’s Next?”

Alex jumps back almost looking startled, “Very good, so your spinal chords do connect to your brain stem. Anyhow, that is the question all the experts have been asking us. Who is next for GenNext? Who is the next to be taken down? Well tonight my man Roderick Strong is going to cut some of the fat here in RoH by ending the career of a man whose career never really started, the veteran Mikey Whiplash! This man is like a cancer eating away at this company and the sport of wrestling in general. Mikey Whip--” Suddenly he is interrupted by Whipwreck’s music.

When Whipwreck makes it out he looks incredibly focused, and very angry. “Mikey how nice of you to join us. We were--”

“SHUT THE HELL UP. I have busted my ass for years and you punks have the nerve to accuse me of being a cancer to this business? This business is my life!” Mikey retorted

“Mikey, you are just a has been who never was. A nobody! Why, you are nothing more than a footnote in Mick Foley’s life story! To paraphrase Marcellus Wallace, ‘If you were going to make it, you would have made it by now.’ Your career may as well be over– no it is over you are just to stubborn to accept it!”

“I have more than paid my dues in the business boys! And if you knew a damned thing about this business, this company, this sport or life period you’d know that it wouldn’t matter if I never won a title again. It wouldn’t matter if I never won a single god damned match again in my career just to come out night after night and do what I love– good or bad– it is worth it. That is what wrestling is about! IT IS ABOUT HEART!”

“Well in that case maybe we ought to rip your heart out Mikey. Maybe we should end your career right now. You are GenNEXT”

Mikey Whipwreck vs Roderick Strong

This match never even happened. Before a single bell could ring, Generation Next swarmed poor Whipwreck and dismantled him piece by piece and inch by inch. Whipwreck fought valiantly but the force of GenNext was too much for him to handle.

As if the 4 on one advantage wasn’t enough, Shelley went to the outside and grabbed a chair and simple waited on the outside keeping a watchful eye on the destruction on the inside of the ring. Suddenly Roderick Strong pressed Whipwreck high over his head and the stables violent intentions became crystal clear. Roderick stepped towards the ring ropes and tossed Whipwreck out of the ring, over the top towards Shelley who used the chair to spike Mikey into the ground.

Medics immediately rushed the ring area as GenNext sauntered off to the back very proud of their actions.

My Segment: Darkhorse Rising

The segment starts with me in a very dimly lit room playing with a lighter, staring intensely at the flame even when speaking at first.

“To be, or not to be that is the question. To fight, or make peace. Love or hate, good or bad. For life is a sequence of choices we make in order to better justify our existence. I am not of that kin. I am a man who doesn’t live for to make the world a better place. I am a man who lives in and for a moment.

I look up from the flame and directly into the camera.

“Who lives to make MY world a better place for ME to live in. I am simply a hired gun. I am a man of an extinct trade. I am a bounty hunter of sorts; a desperado.

But why am I in RoH? Is it because I am a man of honor? Not likely.”

I smirk quickly before moving on, “Is it because of a personal vendetta? No,” again I crack a playful yet sadistic smirk as the fire continues to dance in the reflection of my eyes.

“The reason I am in RoH is because Samoa Joe pays me to be here. I am not an employee of RoH and as such I am not subject to her rules or the foolish code. I am the ultimate outsider who found his way in, and now I am taking over. Tonight I fight a fellow outsider, the man they call Raven. Raven you have often been quoted for your references to a pain that no other could understand. You have been quoted for saying that the world will pay defrayal for the wrongs it has done unto you.

Well Raven, I am just here to remind you that the world has a lot more pain in it and as long as Joe keeps me on here, I intend on making a bulk of it yours. Oh, and Homicide I have not forgotten about you, you were after all the man I was brought in to take care of and I will do just that, because those are the choices I have made– not to justify my existence but to end yours.”

The camera zooms out of my soliloquy as I blow out the flame and all fades to black.

I burnt my fucking thumb in that segment. Stupid Zippo.

Raven and Homicide vs Darkhorse Luke Ripley and Samoa Joe

Raven was the first to the ring, followed by Homicide and both were met with pops second only to Steamboat’s from earlier in the night. I was excited for this match. I was almost completley absorbed in my character. Next up Joe and I made our entrance together cowardly circling the ring locked in a stare with the competitors.

When we finally got into the ring Samoa started the match off against Homicide, much to the delight of the crowd I might add. The two circled each other and Homicide attempted several clotheslines only to see Samoa evade and tag out to me only moments into the match. Smart move, make the people wait and give Homicide something to be angry about. Brilliant psychology really.

Now I was circling H and attempting to shoot in on his knees. This time he evaded and nailed a few boots to the back of my head. I sold them pretty well before he pulled me to my feet and hit and Irish Whip. When I have back he telegraphed a back body and I frogleaped him and hit the other side of the ropes and nailed a dropkick to the chin on him.

I went back to work on H’s knees with a rolling series of three dragon leg whips.

After a few more standard leg maneuvers I tagged out to Samoa Joe and we hook up Homicide for a text book double suplex. Raven came in at this point and leveled me Joe with a clothes line but when he went for me the ref stepped in the way and tried to force him back into the corner as I pointed to my chin begging him to hit me.

Raven continued to struggle to help his partner but ultimately only caused him more strife by distracting the ref as we worked him over in our corner. When Raven finally gave it a rest and the ref came back Joe went for the pin only to get a 2 count.

The match continued with more basic heels working over the face in distress and Homicide sold the work on his knee exceptionally well but the tide was turned when Joe went for a brainbuster only to see it turned into a reverse suplex when Homicide dropped in behind him.

Both men made a slow crawl for the corners as the crowd began to fever pitch. Homicide made it to Raven first and tagged out. I was next in but Raven came in on all cylinders hitting a flying shoulder tackle that sent me to that mat. Next Joe walked into a slam. Soon I was being irish whipped, and found myself on the receiving end of a drop toehold that sent me face first into the groin of Joe.

After this I rolled out of the ring and Raven went to work on Joe, but it wasn’t long before I was in the ring again with a chair delivering a hard shot to the crown prince of hardcore himself! Sensing that he has lost control the referee calls for the bell, and all four of us end up in the ring brawling. Next Homicide comes in and Joe, nails him with the belt.

He calls for me to hold up Raven, and I do just that so he can nail a shot from the belt to his face. Soon after Homicide receives the same treatment. Then I start pulverizing both of our bloodied opponents as they lay prone on the mat like a mad man. I continue until a host of referees run down the aisle and subdue me as Joe looks on approvingly.

Grifter, this one was a decent show, but the ROH purists on this board (stand up, Fitzy) are gonna have a bone to pick with you. The explanation about ROH changing up the Code helps, though.

A few segment thoughts.

--Nice ending to the Teddy Hart match. Sounds like the kind of no-selling bullshit everyone's been bitching at him for. :P

--The Dragon promo was gold...but Ricky contradicted himself by barreling into Punk's match. Would have had much more impact if The Dragon had simply stood at ringside and distracted Punk, especially if it would have cost Punk the match. THAT would have been classic.

--Low-Ki whippin' ass...as it should be.

“Man what the hell are you talkin’ ‘bout? Speak some English you dictionary bustin’ dick,” reacted Homicide.

Raven sighs heavily.“Fine, allow me dumb down my message for you enough that even the most simple of minds may comprehend my message: Tonight we’ll ‘busta cap’ in their ‘bitch asses.’”

--And THESE are the last two guys I would ever expect to end up in a comedy segment, but I can just see the exasperation on Raven's face. Likely unrealistic, but it was damn funny.

I burnt my fucking thumb in that segment. Stupid Zippo.

--Finally...aren't those things supposed to be child-proof? :P I keed, I keed. Solid work all in all.