Dimension X Combat: the Hands of Fate

This kicks some serious ass. I loved the IWF shows, and although i didnt read the comics or anything else relating to them, i thought it was a great idea. I think youve captured the same things in this diary. Good job dukes, i cant wait till the next show.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

July 14, 2004 -- 10 minutes and counting

In the back, Christopher Nowinski and Paul London played cards. As the only two men who had the day off, they figured it would be easy going. Raven had petitioned to keep Nowinski out after his bell was rung, and London (as far as anyone knew) just had nothing to do.

But London knew better. He saw the alliance Levesque had formed, and it scared him. The two stars of the WWE and NWA in the same group, on the same page? They'd plow through anyone that stood up to them. He'd already felt how difficult Levesque could be, and he wanted no part of that.

Matt Hardy paced back and forth outside Room 1. He continued to hear the crowds -- more than last time had piled in -- talk about the old days, when death was on the line. He heard them talk about how they wanted to see legitimate combat -- but more than that, they wanted to see lifelong hatred form, and make the contest into a legitimate Death Match. No one seemed to understand -- Messiah brushed off the notion of a "Death Match", saying he'd been in hundreds of them. But Matt knew something, or someone, wasn't playing it straight.

Messiah, for his part, had told Fate of a match type they had had back on Earth. Fate loved it. He knew it had to be used in the DXC Arena. Scott Steiner seemed cool with it, as the two had sort of bonded over the couple of weeks they'd been here. And really, did anything say bonding like beating the heck out of each other?

At 11:58, Fate emerged. The crowd -- an amazing 50,758 paid -- led out a roar.

Fate: After last week's tournament, we all saw that Paul Levesque had formed an alliance. It was an alliance designed with one goal in mind -- mutual survival. But that alliance brought with it an unexpected side effect -- that of a COUNTER-ALLIANCE! And while not everyone may agree, I feel the course of events is to have these two sides meet tonight!

The crowd cheered. While TAG team warfare was unpopular, it was clear team warfare still was strong.

Fate: Therefore, tonight... you will see a three on three survival match. The only way to win is through defeating each individual member of the team. You could see one man forced to fight three men tonight -- and if you do, it would not surprise me if the result was elimination!

The crowd went wild.

Fate: So, it shall be the alliance of Paul Levesque, Jeff Jarrett, and Simon Diamond...

The crowd booed Levesque's team.

Fate: ...against the unlikely combination of Billy Kidman and Matt Hardy... and of course, the man who a lot of you feel should have Immunity right now, RAVEN!

The crowd was in a frenzy again.

Fate: Good luck to all, and may the mayhem begin.

Segment rating: 76.4%

DXC Life or Death

Show #2 -- July 14, 2004

Rocksteady: What a night we have for you tonight, fans! Life or Death is back, and in our second installment, we are anticipating a huge show!

Bebop: That's right! Immunity belongs to Paul Levesque, and tonight, he and his crew are in three-on-three action!

Rocksteady: In addition, we have been told that Scott Steiner and the Messiah will face off once again, and this time it's a weapons match!

Bebop: What sort of weapons?

Rocksteady: Whatever the fans have available!

Bebop: Oh yeah!

12:00 -- Dean Malenko vs. John Cena

Rocksteady: Here we go with one-on-one action to kick things off, as Dean Malenko looks to keep his team strong against John Cena! These two were a little disappointing last time, but let's see if they can pull it together!

While the match was no technical masterpiece -- Malenko was not 100%, and Cena wasn't much for co-operation -- the two managed to slog through it. The crowd approved more of their actions as they saw it diverge from obvious fake wrestling to painful legitimate combat. However, their cheers for Malenko were not enough to help him, as the younger, stronger Cena controlled and, after a valiant 14-minute struggle, put Malenko away with an F-U.

Winner: John Cena

After the match, Cena rolled Malenko onto his stomach.

Rocksteady: Here we go, B! It's time for the first elimi-- no! Not yet!

Mike Barton came racing out from the back and turned the tide with a single left hand, flooring Cena. Barton continued hammering away as Malenko recovered, but Sonjay Dutt ran in and tackled Malenko down. Neither side could get the advantage as they all headed to the back, fighting, before the rest of the locker room pulled them apart.

Virch Rating: *; Segment Rating: 58.6%

12:16 -- Homicide is Ready to Play

Homicide entered the ring next, having been given time to prep the crowd for his match.

Homicide: I could be out here spoutin' some bullsh*t about playin' a game. But I ain't here to play. I'm here to kick people's asses and win ten million f*cking dollars! I don't care who I gotta go through, and Sonny, make no mistake, I'll f*cking destroy you!

The crowd was starting to warm up to this unknown.

Homicide: See, I was brought up here with jack sh*t other than the button on my back and the skillz in my body. Siaki, you got a button on yo' ass too! All y'all do! An' I don't care who I piss off! I don't care who comes for me! I damn sho don't care if I gotta press 19 mothaf*cking buttons in a row! I been poor fo' too long! The money is mine!

Rocksteady: Now there's the attitude we're looking for!

Bebop: Homicide might live up to his name tonight, Rock! We could be in for some serious violence now!

Segment Rating: 52.6%

12:20 -- Homicide vs. Sonny Siaki

Siaki was very slow to come out from the back, as he tried to kill all the momentum Homicide had built up. Certainly, he got the crowd out of it for a time being, but Homicide's brand of skill and high-impact moves meant that the only person out of it was Siaki. A mere three minutes after it began, it ended with a Cop Killa.

Winner: Homicide

Virch Rating: **; Segment Rating: 66.6%

Rocksteady: That was too easy! I can't believe it! Maybe he means what he says!

Bebop: He certainly wasn't bluffing on Sonny Siaki! Just ask Sonny!

Rocksteady: If you still can!

12:25 -- An Exclamation Point

Homicide stayed in the ring. He stared at Siaki, slowly getting up. Homicide yelled at him.

Homicide: Understand this, boy! Yo' life is in my hands, mothaf*cka! If I wanna take you out, I'll do it! But today, Sonny... I ain't doin' nothin.

The crowd booed. Siaki got to his feet and passed by Homicide, who quickly grabbed his arm and spun him around.

Homicide: The f*ck I ain't.

Homicide tore into Siaki all over again. Everyone in the back was too surprised to do anything. They figured Homicide was just trying to get a character over -- and certainly Siaki, being a new guy, would have time to make himself better known.

They couldn't have been more wrong. Homicide picked Siaki up and, with a ferocity no one expected, planted him with the Cop Killa. He rolled Siaki over onto his stomach and smiled.

Homicide: Say good night, bitch.

He leaned in and pressed hard on Siaki's button. Nothing happened. Homicide pressed a second time. Still nothing.

Bebop: What's this? Is he out or isn't he?

Rocksteady: Certainly the crowd's confused.

Fate stood in the aisle just then.

Fate: Wait! Let him stand.

Homicide slowly backed off. Siaki rolled onto his back, seemingly unaware of what had just happened. He slowly used the ropes to pull himself to his feet. As soon as he stood, his boots began to turn gray. His legs followed. Sonny tried to run, but couldn't move. He looked down and knew immediately what happened.

Siaki: You son of a b

He never completed the thought.

Segment Rating: 56.0%

Rocksteady: THERE IT IS! Listen to this crowd! We got just what we wanted, and Sonny Siaki has been eliminated from the competition!

Bebop: Unbelievable, Rock, and what an innovation by Fate! It doesn't start to take effect until you stand up -- now you have to watch yourself turn to stone! It's ingenious!

Backstage, as they took Siaki away, Rene Dupree turned to Mike Barton.

Dupree: Take the day off. Change of plans.

12:30 -- If That's the Way This Works...

Dupree charged to the ring as Homicide was headed back. He tackled Homicide down before entering the ring itself.

Dupree: Monsieur! What sort of man are you to do that sort of thing? Do you think yourself a man of honore? Non! You are a common dog... and I will treat you as a dog should be! You want to beat us all! Go ahead and try!

Homicide was getting up. He stared at Dupree, the crass youth who didn't understand or was lost in the moment. He entered the ring and slugged him.

Homicide: C'mon, froggy, let's go!

12:33 -- Homicide vs. Rene Dupree

Homicide was still relatively fresh and was a match for Rene, who despite his formal wrestling training was ill-prepared for a street fight. Homicide hit everything with an intensity Dupree had not experienced in some time. Fortunately for Rene, he knew a counter: psychology. Hey, if it works in fake fights, he figured, maybe it would work for real.

Surprisingly, it did. As Dupree continued to wrench away at Homicide's neck, the thug's moves were fewer and farther between. Homicide would pause to rub his neck, and each break would allow Dupree the chance to kick out. Eventually, Dupree was able to score a piledriver on Homicide and end the threat, but it took 12 minutes of trying.

WINNER: Rene Dupree

Dupree had Homicide dead to rights, but after remembering his own tirade, simply walked away to huge boos.

Bebop: Well, turnabout is fair play, Rock!

Rocksteady: Absolutely. It looks like the street fighter will have to wait to go through the next victim.

Virch Rating: *1/4; Segment Rating: 67.8%

12:47 -- Instant Backstory!

Michael Shane entered next. He was scheduled to face Teddy Hart. He didn't know Teddy in real life, and he knew neither he nor Teddy was decently known here. He had one chance to make an impression.

Shane: Teddy, this is the chance I'm sure you've been waiting for. Our families have had a deep and dark history together. It's no secret that we are born of stock that is poisonous to one another. Seven years ago, that anger exploded. And now, here I am, the progeny of Shawn Michaels, ready to screw the progeny of Bret Hart. It looks like it's up to me to complete the circle.

Bebop: What's he talking about?

Rocksteady: Must have been that famous match between the two Earth wrestling legends, Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels, a long time ago! I remember what he's talking about -- apparently, there are some beliefs that the script was... deviated from.

Bebop: Please. Everyone knows Earth wrestling is fake. Still, gotta applaud the kid. He's just made himself an enemy.

Segment Rating: 63.3%

12:50 -- Michael Shane vs. Teddy Hart

This was a bizarre match. Unlike Hart's match with Homicide, where both men tried to make the other look bad, here, both men were preoccupied with making themselves look good. The dives, leaps, throws, moves, counters, and everything else were plentiful, but after a while, it became clear neither man knew what to do from one move to the next. The whole match became a show of one-upsmanship.

Bebop: Look at these two! I mean, there's no real... the fight's kinda choppy, and neither man's really putting themselves in a position to win by doing all these mid-air collisions!

Rocksteady: You get the feeling that the guy who misses first will lose!

But that's not what happened. Instead, Paul Levesque came into the ring, sporting his Immunity belt. He pulled Shane off of the top rope as Shane was ready to dive on Teddy. Shane stared in confusion and was balled up his fists. Levesque merely smiled and pointed to the Immunity belt. The distraction was all that was needed, as the young Hart rolled Shane up from behind for the pin after a beautiful 15-minute exhibition.

WINNER: Teddy Hart

Bebop: Could this be a fourth member of Levesque's cartel?

Rocksteady: You gotta wonder -- great things come in fours around here, B! We all know what I mean!

Teddy smiled and thanked Levesque, shaking his hand. However, when Levesque offered to raise Hart's hand in victory, the young man raced to the back, almost certain a double-cross was coming.

Bebop: I... is he?

Rocksteady: Maybe.

Virch Rating: **; Segment Rating: 52.9%

Bebop: Well, there's one man left to debut in this edition of DXC, and that's Andrew Martin, who is a giant of a man.

Rocksteady: That's right, and he's going to be going up against a guy we've already seen tonight in Sonjay Dutt! You gotta wonder if Cena will do anything!

1:07 -- Andrew Martin vs. Sonjay Dutt

Having watched the antics of everyone else that evening, Martin knew exactly what he had to do. Fight, and fight like the time he'd been a bouncer. Dutt never knew what hit him, and though Cena was able to keep Martin distracted here and there, one boot to the head, knocked Dutt out. Martin covered and won in a mere 4 minutes.

Winner: Andrew Martin

Virch Rating: *3/4; Segment Rating: 43.8%

Bebop: Whoa! What happened there?

Rocksteady: Andrew Martin just plowed through Sonjay! He's gotta be considered a contender here!

Bebop: This crowd didn't even have a chance to get into it.

Rocksteady: Oh, but they're getting into this!

Cena attacked Martin, trying to save his friend from elimination, even though Martin had no intention of eliminating young Sonjay. As the duo hit the Doomsday Device on Martin, Mike Barton and Dean Malenko returned. They ran Cena and Dutt off, with Barton clearly heard saying

Barton: Face us like men, punks! C'mon!

Bebop: It's pretty clear these four haven't solved a damn thing.

Rocksteady: Right you are. I think they may be going at it until they eliminate each other.

Bebop: Can they DO that?

Rocksteady: Sure. I mean, it's possible. But speaking of eliminations, we may see one the HARD way here and now!

Bebop: Look at the fans throwing all sorts of objects into the ring!

Rocksteady: They know what's next!

1:13 -- Weapons Match: Scott Steiner vs. The Messiah

Steiner was never the most long-fused of people, and Messiah had done this in CZW for ages. Both knew exactly what to do, and both trusted the other with the weaponry. They grabbed the nearest sharp-edged thing they could find, and the blood began to flow.

Weapons were being used left and right, to the point where Bebop was starting to feel slightly uncomfortable. Rocksteady was screaming that an elimination had to happen soon. But alas, the match came to an abrupt halt after seven intense, violent, gory minutes when Messiah threw a handful of tack-like objects at Steiner and shoved him into a pile of them. He covered and got the victory, which was all either man cared about.

Winner: The Messiah

Bebop: Messiah wins! What a brutal contest!

Rocksteady: You get the feeling he was more experienced in violent action, but I don't think that'll get him too far -- remember, Nick Mondo was a quick casualty when he tried this route!

Virch Rating: ***; Segment Rating: 68.0%

1:22 -- The Real Reason You're Here?

Jeff Jarrett and Simon Diamond raced to the ring as Steiner and Messiah were cleaning themselves and the ring off. Jarrett delivered a Stroke to Simon's outstretched knee on both men before they were dumped over the top rope. Paul Levesque walked out, smiling and leading the pack.

Levesque: Get those vampires out of there! Raven, I'm not about being violent! I know violence is in your past, but only one thing is in your future -- elimination! This is all just a game! And you know damn well I am The Game! And with these two men backing me up, ready for a piece of the glory I promised them, only one outcome is possible... I, Paul Levesque, will stand tall as the Winner of DXC!

The crowd hated him, but when Raven appeared, their boos turned to cheers. Kidman and Hardy followed in the shadows, certain their presence was mere filler.

Segment Rating: 86.8%

1:25 -- Survival Match: Billy Kidman, Matt Hardy, and Raven vs. Jeff Jarrett, Paul Levesque, and Simon Diamond

Bebop: This is it! This is the main event, Rock!

Rocksteady: And don't forget, folks, the match is not over until all three members of a side have been pinned or made to submit! We could have a one on three situation easily, and when that happens -- I'd hate to be the "one"!

Bebop: No kidding. We're almost guaranteed suspense, drama, and most of all, violence!

Sure, but we weren't exactly guaranteed a pretty match. All six men fought all over the place. Jarrett and Kidman had a mini-match in the ring, while Hardy and Diamond fought around ringside. Levesque and Raven were busy fighting in about the tenth row. All three remained paired off like this until Kidman succeeded in sending Jarrett to the floor.

Bebop: Uh-oh, Rock, Kidman's all alone. He might be trying for a kamikaze here!

Rocksteady: He's to the top!

And indeed, Kidman hit the Shooting Star Plancha on Jarrett.

Both: YES!

Rocksteady: What a move!

Diamond quickly rolled into the ring as Hardy followed. Now Kidman began trying to use his body as a weapon around ringside, while in the ring, Hardy and Diamond exchanged holds. Eventually, Diamond put his head down and was met with a Twist of Fate. Hardy covered for the three. Six minutes had elapsed.

Bebop: It's three-on-two now!

Rocksteady: Jeff Jarrett is in trouble!

He wouldn't be for long, though. Kidman went to the top, and Hardy positioned himself for a Rocket Launcher onto Jarrett. Kidman dove, but Jarrett got the knees up and drove the wind out of Kidman. Jarrett rolled on top easily for the three. Eight minutes had gone by.

Rocksteady: You live by the dive, you die by it, B! It's all square once again!

Bebop: Hang on! Look at what Jarrett's doing!

Jarrett tried to get Kidman on his stomach to press the button. However, Hardy saw it and pulled Jarrett aside. Hardy and Jarrett began to attack one another with strong rights and lefts. Any pretense of planning seemed to have gone out the window. Hardy had Jarrett set up for a top rope legdrop when he was shoved off the turnbuckle to the outside. Paul Levesque had returned from attacking Raven. Jarrett tossed Hardy back in, and Levesque added a superfluous Pedigree. 13 minutes had gone by.

Rocksteady: Two against one now! This is what we wanted!

Bebop: Raven is in serious trouble!

Levesque exited the ring and found Raven. He picked him up and carried Raven's limp body over his shoulder. Levesque rolled Raven into the ring and yelled to Jarrett.

Levesque: Finish him!

But neither man had counted on someone not in the match doing something. Scott Steiner appeared and lifted Levesque high over his head. He dumped Levesque into the second row of fans. Levesque quickly escaped, fearing on of the overzealous fans might eliminate him, but he ran right back into a Flatliner by Scott on the floor.

Back in the ring, a confused Jarrett watched on, unaware that Raven was regaining his strength. Raven cradled Jarrett from behind and, using any leverage he could, got the three. 15 minutes had gone by.

Bebop: Look at this! Raven has stunned Jeff Jarrett!

Rocksteady: I don't believe it! So much for the numbers game!

Bebop: It's going to be Raven and Levesque once again to end this match!

With all the "dead weight" gone, Levesque and Raven went to war. Neither man had any pretense of liking the other, and both men slugged it out. However, just as with Steiner, Raven was the better man. He used a right cross and left uppercut combination to floor Levesque just long enough. He covered, hooked the legs, and scored the victory. The whole thing took 21 minutes.

Sole Survivor: Raven

Rocksteady: Raven has done it! What an upset!

Bebop: But... we still have time, and we're out of matches! What now?

Virch Rating: *1/2; Segment Rating: 62.6%

1:48 -- What Now Indeed?

Raven took a mic.

Raven: Paul! You thought you could eliminate me, didn't you? You have all these grandiose plans, all these schemes, and as long as you have the Immunity, I am vulnerable to your every machination! Well, not anymore! Paul, I'm telling you right now that I want another chance. I've earned a shot at your precious Immunity! So let me have it!

Levesque did as ordered, sort of. He nailed Raven with the belt itself. The two continued their fisticuffs all around the ring as many-tentacled security pulled them away from each other. Each time they tried, though, Levesque or Raven would fight through it. Finally, Fate intervened.

Literally.

Segment Rating: 83.6%

1:54 -- The Money Match Is Next... Week

Fate: Warriors, cease! I agree with Raven's assessment. He has earned a chance to wrest Immunity from you, Paul. However, I dare say that acting like an animal will get you nowhere! I've tried to make it clear that this is NOT the bloodsport of its ancestor. So unless you want me to eliminate you personally -- BOTH OF YOU -- you will listen.

The struggle stopped. They both calmly turned to Fate.

Fate: I know what is needed. I know what the two of you should do. And I am ready, as the man in charge of Dimension X Combat, to give you what you and all these fans want to see!

The crowd cheered in anticipation.

Fate: Next week, I personally guarantee that it shall be these two men -- Raven and Paul Levesque -- in a one-on-one confrontation for Immunity itself!

The crowd cheered louder than they had all night.

Fate: But more than that, I am going to devise a way to keep the two of you in, and everyone else out! No Jeff Jarrett! No Simon Diamond! No Billy Kidman! No Matt Hardy! NO ONE shall decide who the better of you two is except you two. And the way to do this...

The crowd was ready to explode.

Fate: ...is to put the two of you inside your old friend -- the STEEL CAGE!

The crowd was ballistic. This was the announcement they'd been waiting for. This was the moment of the night.

Bebop: Can you believe it, Rocksteady? Raven will finally get Paul Levesque one-on-one!

Rocksteady: And in a violent innovation of Earth -- the steel!

Bebop: And what a night this has been, Rock! We've had our first elimination! We've had a bloody match with weapons galore! And we've had an announcement of a huge match for Immunity!

Rocksteady: You want to come to this arena next week, and you all know it! For Bebop, this is Rocksteady, telling you to come on down next week, and whatever you do...

Both: Don't Get Eliminated!!

Segment Rating: 88.1%

Total Rating: 65.0%

As Raven returned to his room, he saw Christopher Nowinski and Rene Dupree packing up.

Raven: What are you doing? There's no exit!

Nowinski: This room... it's too bizarre living where a dead man stayed.

Dupree: Oui, and with you and M. Levesque the way you are, we might be innocent victims!

Raven: Fine, go. If you can switch, do so. But look not to me for protection, then.

Nowinski: Drop the gimmick, Scott.

Raven: When you drop your Harvard gimmick.

Nowinski: But this is who I--

He stopped himself, suddenly understanding the meaning. He continued packing and left with Dupree to Room 1. Meanwhile, Billy Kidman and Matt Hardy entered.

Raven: So it's us now, is it?

Hardy: You seem to be a survivor.

Kidman: Yeah, and the Powers that Be already think of us as one big enemy anyhow.

Raven: Just remember this. You chose to be associated with me. You decided I was in your best interest. Yours is the risk to take, the decision to make. I do not provide the answers -- merely the ideas.

Hardy (to Kidman): Is he always like this?

Kidman: Mostly. You get used to it.

He turned to Raven.

Kidman: So now that it's established you and Paul aren't getting along, what do you plan to do about the match next week?

Raven: I have no plan, except the plan to survive. I have no ideas, only instincts. Paul Levesque worries me, but I sense the fear in him as well. I do not know if we will both return, but we shall never be the same.

Matt was about to ask why all the doubletalk when the door opened again. This time, Scott Steiner walked in.

Hardy: Well, if it ain't the guardian angel.

Steiner: Shove it, Matt. I'm only making sure people play straight around here! It ain't my idea to target Raven.

Hardy: Maybe not, but now you're apparently with us.

Steiner: Well, fine. My room's gettin' a little rough out there. I knew Homicide was gonna snap, but Andrew... the way he acted...

Raven: ...is the way you'll act in time.

Steiner: What do you mean?

Raven: I have been a caged animal already. When cornered, I attack with reckless abandon. The time will come when you are in my spot, but no one fills your role of salvation. It will be sooner than you think.

Kidman: Hang on... if you know this is how the game will go, why did you keep Nowinski alive back on the first show?

Raven: He had nothing against me. Only those who provoke me will feel my wrath.

Hardy: So you say.

Kidman: Oh, geez, not this again.

Steiner: Not what again?

Hardy: Listen... this game... it's like Fate said. It has an ancestor. And the more I hear about this ancestor, the more I loathe it. And I just know that it will happen now. Fans talk about killing -- not eliminating, KILLING. Some of them say Fate is soft, or that he's setting us up. I don't know who to believe anymore!

Steiner (to Raven): This is our team? This is who we have to go against Paul's cronies?

Raven: Alliances come in all forms, Scott. Some are premeditated. Others are happenstance. Whether we like it or not, we are united by a common foe. Now is our time to stick together.

Hardy: Yeah, we'll get around to the murders soon enough.

Kidman: What the hell are you--

Hardy: You think Sonny's really alive?

No one spoke for the next five minutes.

Back in Room 1, Nowinski and Dupree were getting to know their new roommates.

Dupree: Bonjour, M. London! I suppose it is us now, non?

London: Oh, hi. Welcome to the Dead Zone.

Shane: Oh, not you too!

London: No, I don't mean us. I mean, our chances! Look, we're all filler here. Kidman and Matt start getting somewhere and they're moved next door. It's pretty clear the four of us are stuck.

Nowinski: Not if we unite. Your endurance, Paul; your athleticism, Michael; your cunning, Rene; and my knowledge. It's a formidable group.

London: Yeah... but we're going against the champions.

Shane: Paul?

Dupree: Well, Levesque and Jarrett do know how to win friends and influence people... we moved out so that we could avoid being caught in the crossfire they have with Raven.

Nowinski: Look, it's pretty clear that each room is about to strike a deal. Other rooms will have backstabbers, individuals, and so forth -- but we are greater than the sum of our parts, mark my words. We can all succeed as long as we unite. Are you with me?

Dupree stood by Nowinski. Shane hesitated, halfway between his bed and the new guys. London stayed back.

Nowinski: Very well. I suppose you would rather lose. Rene, we can do this on our own.

Dupree: It will be worth a try, at least.

In Room 3, Levesque was holding a team meeting.

Levesque: Okay, guys, it looks like it's gonna be me and him in a few days. I can handle that. The question is, what are you guys gonna do? If I lose Immunity, I expect that you'll be guarding us.

Hart: Of course I will.

Diamond: You'd do so for me.

Jarrett: I'm with ya here.

Levesque: Good. Now remember... our top target is Steiner. He's been keeping us from taking out the most dangerous man in this game -- he's made himself a target. So on the day of the show, attack. Hold nothing back. Take him out.

Jarrett smiled.

Jarrett: Hey, one ol' gee-tar oughta do the--

Levesque looked at Jarrett.

Levesque: It better. No, you can't leave it up to chance. You have to do everything possible to push that damn button. Remember, when we formed this alliance -- all of us -- we agreed the toughest man would go first. Right?

They nodded.

Diamond: Allow me to try.

Levesque: What?

Diamond: Give me a match with Steiner. He's been beaten -- he's very beatable. Hell, that nothing Messiah took him out! What's to keep me from doing it?

Levesque: All right. Go for it. You two better be ready to help him out. I want him gone. You got that? Then, if Raven wins Immunity, it'll be too easy to get it back.

They all smiled.

Jarrett: Let's do this right.

Levesque: Exactly.

Strangely, only Room 3 remained static. Tensions in Room 5 had become so strained that John Cena and Sonjay Dutt moved out. Homicide, who had been kicked out of Room 4, took their place.

Homicide: Dammit! Don't those mothaf*ckas know that's how you play this game?

Malenko: They'll figure it out. Don't worry about that. They'll know soon enough. Especially John and Sonjay. They know we're gunning for them, and it's a matter of time, right, Mike?

Barton: We can't hold off forever. I'm guaranteed a match this week. I'll make sure it's with one of them. It has to be. Then I'll get them. No one in this game is invincible.

Homicide: Hey -- you want that whitey out? Give him to me!

Both men looked at each other.

Malenko: You mean Cena?

Homicide: F*ck yeah. He ain't street. He's a phony. And I f*ckin' hate phonies.

Barton: Have at him, then. We'll make sure you get the chance.

Meanwhile, Cena and Sonjay were settling in on their side of Room 4, while Andrew Martin and Messiah talked.

Martin: Hey -- you think Scott's all right?

Messiah: Him? He just wanted to make sure Raven was okay with his actions.

Martin: Yeah... he's been watchin' out for that guy. Kinda strange really.

Messiah: Nah -- the big lug's got a good heart. He trusted me to beat him up big-time.

Martin: He's always been a little loose on Earth. What do you think it is?

Messiah: I couldn't tell ya. But we got other things to worry about. Like these guys here.

Martin: Ah, come on, they don't care about us. We ain't old enough.

Messiah: Maybe. But I know Sonjay ain't never been the bad guy. You can tell by looking at him... he doesn't know what to do.

As Dean Malenko was headed back to his room, he saw Fate leave his office.

Malenko: Oh, hey. Where you going?

Fate: Home. It's evening for us here.

Malenko: Okay... um... just one question, if I may.

Fate: About John Cena?

Malenko: Yeah... how did you...?

Fate: I have my ways. Yes, I will send Homicide after him. I feel I should. His brand of violence is exactly what I need to line my pockets.

Malenko: You seem like a rich enough man.

Fate: I was. You do not know the history of this place. Years ago, a series of wars broke out among the people here. Many lost their lives, and many more lost their homes.

Malenko: Like you?

Fate: Yes, indeed. I was unfortunate. The man I supported failed. He was killed, the ultimate loser.

Malenko: So the winners took your house?

Fate: Not quite, although they certainly would have been within their right. They exiled me for a year. When I came back, my place was desolate. The farm I had retired to was a failure, overrun by government officials. I had almost nothing but a name. That is why I started this -- to get my life back to the way it was.

Malenko: Started it? You mean restarted?

Fate: How so?

Malenko: You mentioned out there that this had an ancestor. What was it?

Fate shook his head.

Fate: You are in no position to know. Just be glad that I grant your request. It will bring you closer to your reward. I must go now. My day is done, though yours is just beginning.

Fate walked on. Dean made a note to ask Fate about the past at some point before he was eliminated. He began to sympathize with a man who lost everything. He also began to wonder about his new home.

Michael Shane was working out in the gym when Simon Diamond entered. The two sat next to each other for a while and exchanged pleasantries.

Shane: So, I'll ask -- why did you join them?

Diamond: You mean the political guys? You would, too.

Shane: I dunno if I could live that way. Something about them makes me wonder.

Diamond: You think they're gonna stab me in the back? Probably. But not for some time. They know they need me. Heck, they trust me to take Scott Steiner down, right?

Shane: You're going after him? You must be crazy.

Diamond: Nah. I'll have backup. 'Sides, I don't think Scott's begun playing yet. I have. That's the beauty of it. Ya know, you really should join us. It may be your only chance.

Shane: Well... I don't know. They cost me that match last week...

Diamond: See, you're thinking as a sports entertainer. You have to think like a survivor. Soon enough, you're gonna get voted out of this. You wanna stick around and pick off those people who'd go against ya, right? Well, we're doing that as a bunch.

Shane: For now, you are. I don't know... I've got an offer for a team already. Maybe we'll combine forces.

Diamond: I wouldn't mind.

Shane: Me neither. Hey, when we get back to earth, we oughta consider teaming up.

Diamond: It would be my pleasure if we're ever working together again.

Shane: Indeed. See you in the future then.

Diamond: See you too.

Michael walked out, a smile on his face. He knew that at least one member of that alliance was well-intentioned. He felt he could trust Simon to give him a heads-up when the time was right. He hoped, though, that Simon would still be around when the time was right. Something in his heart troubled him.

Guest Captain Foo

So now we have a counter-alliance. I liked what Raven said, how some are premediated, and others are formed from necessity. It seems so true.

It definitely has a feel of the original IWF. The whole "aftermath" thing definitely sticks to the continuity. The fact that nobody is really going to die (save for the fact that Fate may be lying) adds to the interest leve.

What's better, everybody has no clue what happened in the IWF because nobody was friends with the original competitors. You could write them as if it's the first series with the third series style of elimination.

I'll keep watching this.

• 2 weeks later...

July 21, 2004 -- 11:49ish

Random voices could be heard behind the curtain.

Levesque: You guys know what to do, right?

Diamond: You got it, Paul.

Steiner: Don't worry, Raven. I got your back.

Barton: I'll be back, Dean. Count on it.

Andrew: You sure you wanna do this?

Messiah: Yeah -- you could use the rub.

Cena: Operation Backfire is on, Son.

Dutt: Just do what you gotta do.

Homicide: Man, I can't wait to get that motherf*cker!

Barton: Shhh! You wanna tip them off?

Levesque: Hey, Raven -- good luck. You'll need it.

Shane: You think we should take them up on their offer?

London: I wouldn't. We can do better.

Kidman: Hey, where's Jeff?

Hart: I think he's--

Levesque: He got the night off.

Steiner: You sure about that?

Dupree: You think they will accept?

Nowinski: If they don't, we destroy them.

Kidman: Look, Matt, just relax. We're all still alive.

Hardy: For now.

Raven: Let the man carry his philosophy. He will survive that way.

Levesque: You ain't survivin' sh*t, Scott!

Steiner: You try anything funny, and I'll--

Cena: Hey, hey! Save it for the ring.

Barton: He's right... for once.

Fate: Pardon me, I have to address the crowd.

At 11:58, Fate walked out to a huge ovation. The crowd -- 55,515, a good portion of whom attended after a massive radio station giveaway by Rocksteady and Bebop -- cheered louder than ever as Fate prepared them.

Fate: Tonight, my friends, you will see two men risk their lives for Immunity. Truly, they are risking their lives -- but they do it to save them. When this cage is raised up, it shall enclose two of the real heroes of DXC. But it leaves open a very important question: where do they go from here?

Fate: To that end, I have decided to make a match tonight, that is a special #1 Contender's Match!

The crowd cheered.

Fate: It will feature two men who stand to face their ally or face their biggest foe. They could be in the ring with a man who wants to help them or destroy them. And we will not know until the night is over. Tonight, my friends, the men who will determine next week's challenger for Immunity are Scott Steiner and Simon Diamond!

In the back, Simon's eyes went wide. He got the match he and Levesque wanted, but now it was possible he could face Levesque himself -- that wasn't his idea. Clearly, Simon never said he wanted a title shot. But the fans' cheers made him brave.

Fate: And so, without further delay, let the action begin!

Segment rating: 98.0%

DXC Life or Death

Show #3 -- July 21, 2004

Rocksteady: Tonight, the cage will be raised up, and two men will leave their tears, sweat, and most especially blood in this ring for a shot at Immunity! Welcome to DXC! I'm Rocksteady alongside Bebop, and we are counting it down to the big match!

Bebop: Absolutely! It's Paul Levesque against Raven, with the winner holding Immunity aloft! But all up and down the card, their allies shall fight!

Rocksteady: That's right! It's Simon Diamond against Scott Steiner later tonight, and we open up with this showdown of the aerial representatives!

12:00 -- Billy Kidman vs. Teddy Hart

Kidman and Hart no longer trusted each other now that their roommates would be fighting for Immunity. Each suspected the other of being ready to pull a fast one. As a result, they tore into each other with reckless abandon, flying at each other like a pair of luchadores. Commentary compared them to Amazing Red as Hart and Kidman both went for shooting star presses during the match -- Hart's missed, but Kidman's hit right on the money. Kidman got the cover after 14 minutes of a wild match.

Winner: Billy Kidman

Rocksteady: What a breathtaking display of athleticism by both men there!

Bebop: I don't know if they'll survive -- they may kill themselves before someone kills them!

Virch Rating: **1/4; Segment Rating: 60.8%

12:16 -- Mike Barton vs. Sonjay Dutt

Bebop: Well, after that match, we go to a good old-fashioned grudge match as Mike Barton and Sonjay Dutt face off. We know they and their teammates don't see eye-to-eye, so this should be--

Rocksteady: Wait! Look at this! Sonjay came prepared!

Indeed he did. Sonjay was seconded by John Cena, who raced to the ring ahead of Dutt. The two men pounded on Barton almost before the bell rang, and once it did, the referee -- adhering to a strict no-DQ policy -- let it ride. After an F-U off the top rope, Cena stood Barton up and faced him.

Cena:

Understand this, you pathetic old man

You oughta know I'm one step ahead of your plan.

As he rapped, Dutt pressed Barton's button. Barton looked down and wanted to collapse, but his stone legs kept him standing. He looked lifeless and limp as he froze.

Winner: Sonjay Dutt

Rocksteady: ELIMINATION! We're down to 18, and it looks like Cena and Sonjay have the advantage on Dean Malenko now!

Bebop: I wouldn't want to be in Malenko's shoes when he finds out. He's a marked man!

Just before the stagehands carried Barton away, Cena stood in front of him and waved his hand where Barton's eyes were. Appropriately, Cena was taunting the statue with his "you can't see me" signal.

Virch Rating: *3/4; Segment Rating: 48.9%

12:21 -- Next!

Cena grabbed a mic.

Cena: Yo, shut up and listen, boys.

Homicide and Dean Malenko thought they'd take me out.

But I one-upped them beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I'm the man in charge, I'm the man to fear,

I'll win this competition if it takes all year.

Homicide is in the back, thinking I'm just a whitey,

But now that he knows what I can do, he's gettin' flighty.

Yo, Hom, don't stand there in the back lookin' perplexed.

Let me sum it up for ya, bro: our match is next!

Segment Rating: 74.5%

12:24 -- John Cena vs. Homicide

Homicide slid into the ring and, before anyone could react, grabbed Sonjay and nailed him with the Cop Killa.

Rocksteady: So much for the advantage!

Bebop: It looks like it'll be one-on-one, and each man has out-thought the other!

Rocksteady: Who would have thought these guys would be in a game of mental chess?

Certainly not the fans, who were completely caught off guard as the two continued to play head games. The crowd didn't cheer or boo, but sort of sat back and paid attention -- it was a bizarre sort of getting over, anyway. Homicide seemed to have the match won with an STF at the 8 minute mark when Sonjay Dutt revived and flipped the duo over. Homicide's shoulders were now on the mat, and the referee counted three.

Bebop: What a reversal of fortune! It appears Homicide wasn't prepared enough!

Rocksteady: And now he might join Barton in the statue room! Look at this!

Dutt and Cena continued beating on Homicide, but Dean Malenko re-appeared and clotheslined both men down. All four fought to the back.

Virch Rating: *1/2; Segment Rating: 61.6%

12:34 -- The Messiah vs. Andrew Martin

Messiah thought he was just going to get squashed and leave. He thought wrong. Martin came out and promptly smashed Messiah with a boot to the head. A mere 3 minutes later, Martin ended the slaughter with a diving elbow.

Winner: Andrew Martin

Martin pulled Messiah up and offered a handshake.

Martin: Thanks, man.

Messiah: For what? Being a dupe?

Messiah walked off, shaking his head and fuming.

Virch Rating: 3/4*; Segment Rating: 43.7%

12:39 -- The Decision Is Made

Chris Nowinski and Rene Dupree walked out together.

Bebop: Looks like another team has been formed, Rocksteady!

Rocksteady: What do you expect? These guys know this is the only way to survive!

Nowinski: Over the past few days, we have asked our friends to consider an offer we made them. It is now time for them to let us know if they accept. Michael Shane and Paul London, come out.

They do, staring at Nowinski and Dupree.

Nowinski: Gentlemen, it is quite simple. Either you are with us or you are not. Which shall it be?

Shane: Now lemme get this straight -- are you being honest with us?

Nowinski: Why would I lie?

London: Gee, I dunno -- maybe you're hoping to backstab us and eliminate us!

The crowd cheered.

Dupree: Calm down, mon freres -- it is not so simple. We do not outnumber you, and look around! Four-man alliances exist, non?

London: You know, Mike, he has a point. Given that Immunity's gonna be with either Raven's buddies or Levesque's, maybe we should do it. Maybe we should make a supergroup.

Shane: Wait, wait -- I have an even better idea!

London: You do?

Shane: Yeah!

London: What is it?

Shane: How about we give the fans what they want?

London: Oh, where's that gonna get us?

Shane: Well, for starters--

Shane promptly superkicked Nowinski, causing Dupree to charge. London fought him off, and the referee decided what the heck and called for the bell.

Segment Rating: 54.1%

12:44 -- Chris Nowinski and Rene Dupree vs. Michael Shane and Paul London

If you were looking for an organized, crowd-pleasing, wild team brawl... this wasn't it. This was just a complete mess of a "match" -- partially because all four men were constantly making the saves, which the crowd soon tired of. Finally, Dupree got wise and hit the Bonsoir on London before rolling Shane up from behind, ending this 15 minute debacle.

Winners: Chris Nowinski and Rene Dupree

Shane and London knew they were beat, but they knew it wasn't over.

Rocksteady: These men really gave it their all, but it was Rene and Nowinski coming out on top.

Bebop: Hopefully, the groups will get more intense and less worried about the match. This is all about eliminations!

Virch Rating: *1/4; Segment Rating: 52.1%

01:01 -- Simon Says He'll Win Immunity

Simon Diamond came out and looked into the back.

Diamond: Scott Steiner, I ain't gonna lie to you. I'm here to take you out. We want to be the last four remaining, my group and I, and right now, you stand in the way. You're constantly going to the rescue of your buddy Raven -- constantly ruining our plans -- but that ends tonight! You see, tonight, I won't just beat you -- I'll eliminate you. And then, if Raven SOMEHOW secures Immunity, Simon Says: it's coming to me.

Segment Rating: 77.3%

01:03 -- #1 Contenders Match for Immunity: Simon Diamond vs. Scott Steiner

Steiner charged out, intensely staring at Diamond. He got into the ring and pummelled Diamond with fists and throws. It looked like the win would be easy, and it was... but not for Steiner. Teddy Hart was prepared to turn the tide, and he slammed a chair from ringside into the back of Steiner's head. Steiner shook out the cobwebs, but Diamond got his own chair and nailed Steiner again. The two men slammed chairs into Steiner until Diamond covered him to win in 6 minutes.

Winner: Simon Diamond

Hart and Diamond continued the onslaught and threatened to eliminate Steiner when Matt Hardy ran in and ascended to the top rope, taking out Diamond and Hart with a single bodypress. Hardy checked on Steiner before helping him to the back.

Steiner: Thanks, Matt.

Hardy: I don't want to see you die.

Virch Rating: *1/2; Segment Rating: 55.7%

01:14 -- The Cage Appears Around Raven

Raven emerged early. He stood in the ring as the cage appeared, rising out of the floor as though by magic and enclosing around him. As he looked at it, he recognized it more as a Cell than a cage. Raven stepped out of the ring and tested the walls to make sure they were secure. He then took a microphone.

Raven: Paul Levesque, you cannot run now. Paul Levesque, there is no hiding. Paul Levesque, you will now step into my world -- a world of pain, suffering, bloodshed, disaster, and above all, vulnerability. You see, Paul, when I am done with you, I will get the one thing that can make me sane -- Immunity. I will hold it over you and make you beg to get it back like a dog of war. But at the end of the day, I shall be standing, and I shall be Immune. Quote the Raven, nevermore.

Segment Rating: 79.3%

01:19 -- Don't Be So Certain

Paul Levesque entered through the door of the Cell. Officials locked it behind him.

Levesque: Raven -- you think this is your world? Look again! This is Hell in a Cell -- this is MY WORLD! I have never, ever, EVER lost in an environment like this! I have beaten the best on Earth, and the best anywhere! Ask people like Chris Jericho what it means to face me in this structure -- they lose. Raven, the same shall be said of you.

With that, Levesque nailed Raven with the microphone.

Bebop: HERE WE GO!

Rocksteady: IT'S ON!

Segment Rating: 84.5%

01:22 -- Immunity, <s>Steel Cage</s> Hell in a Cell: Paul Levesque © vs. Raven

The crowd began chanting for Raven almost from the beginning. While both men in the ring had heard louder crowds and larger crowds, there was something very special about this one. It drove Raven to fight back every time he was in trouble, and it made Levesque want to crush their spirit even more. This was close to being the biggest thing either man had ever seen. This was unquestionably not just the moment of the night, but the biggest match they had.

Bebop: Raven promised pain, he promised bloodshed, and look at him deliver!

Rocksteady: But he's getting it back, too! Both men are busted open!

Bebop: This is almost a Death Match in its intensity!

Raven had it won around the twenty-minute mark, but just as he hit the third of his Evenflow DDTs, he thought he felt a scuffle beneath the ring. He popped up and looked around, but nothing. Levesque tapped five times on the mat -- almost in code. Raven noticed this and ran to the door, expecting someone. What he didn't expect was Jeff Jarrett -- AWOL all night -- popping up from beneath the ring.

Bebop: So much for no interference!

Rocksteady: Levesque outsmarted him!

Jarrett slammed Raven into the cage and tossed him back into the ring. Levesque calmly picked Raven up and delivered the Pedigree -- and even in Dimension X, no one survived that.

Winner: Paul Levesque

The cage disappeared as Jarrett and Levesque smiled and pounded on Raven. The crowd sensed what was happening and chanted for Scott Steiner to come out.

Virch Rating: **; Segment Rating: 86.2% (booyah)

01:41 -- You Called?

And here he came, racing to the ring. Kidman and Hardy flanked him, but they waited outside, looking for Simon Diamond and Teddy Hart. Neither of those men showed, which allowed Steiner to race through the tired Levesque and the stunned Jarrett. Steiner took a mic.

Steiner: Hey, Paul! You wanna be the man in DXC? Prove you can beat anyone! Take me on right now!

Levesque: Why should I? You lost your chance.

Steiner: You want me gone? How about this! If I beat you, I'll get a shot at Immunity along with your little boy Simon. But if you beat me... if you beat me, you can eliminate me tonight!

The crowd gasped.

Levesque: Deal.

01:43 -- Shot vs. Life: Paul Levesque vs. Scott Steiner

Levesque got a second wind as he pounded on Steiner. Jarrett double-teamed religiously, but every time Kidman would try to even the odds, Raven would wave him back.

Kidman: What the hell are you doing?

Raven: Now is not the time.

Kidman: Are you nuts? This guy's been on your side through thick and thin, and you won't lift a finger to--

Raven: Fools rush in. Learn.

As Jarrett and Levesque continued to pound on Steiner, Jarrett went to the top rope. Levesque stood Steiner up, and Jarrett dove off with a double axhandle... that hit Levesque, as Steiner pulled him in the way.

Raven: See? He still has fighting spirit.

As Steiner began to turn the tide, Simon Diamond ran in with a guitar. He tossed it to Jarrett and, as Steiner was distracted by Diamond, Jarrett smashed the guitar over Steiner's head.

Kidman: Now?

Raven: Now.

With that, Kidman and Raven stormed the ring. Kidman sent Diamond packing, while Raven delivered Evenflow after Evenflow to Jarrett. In the chaos, Levesque began to crawl onto Steiner. Kidman saw it and scampered to the top rope. He leapt off, and at the last possible instant, his Shooting Star Press broke the count.

Kidman wasn't done, though. He picked Levesque up and was ready to work him over, but Levesque went low. Levesque saw his chance and Pedigreed Kidman.

Levesque: Two at once. I love it.

Levesque was ready to eliminate Kidman when Steiner grabbed him from behind. He lifted Levesque into the air and planted him with the Screwdriver (suplex into powerbomb). He held the cover as the crowd counted along. A 15-minute war ended.

Winner: Scott Steiner

Bebop: Unbelievable! There are two #1 Contenders!

Rocksteady: How's Fate going to decide which one gets the shot?

Bebop: Can he decide?

Rocksteady: This is sheer chaos!

Indeed it was, and not just the title scene. Kidman, Raven, Steiner, Levesque, Jarrett, and Diamond continued fighting up and down the aisleway and all over the building as people scrambled for cover. Security desperately tried to hold everyone apart.

Bebop: What a night this is! Another elimination, and a shocking finish!

Rocksteady: There's no telling what's going to happen at this rate!

Bebop: Next week, we'll find out who Paul Levesque faces to keep Immunity. Till then, this is Bebop...

Rocksteady: And I'm Rocksteady, reminding all of you...

Virch Rating: 1/2*; Segment Rating: 64.4%

Overall Rating: 64.6%

As Matt Hardy watched the main event unfold, he heard a secondary commotion backstage. He ran to the dorm rooms in time to see Messiah taking out his frustrations on Andrew Martin.

Messiah: You bastard! You f*cking set me up!

Messiah had a blunt metal object and was battering Martin with it. He rolled Martin over, but before anything could happen, Hardy dove and tackled Messiah away. Messiah, surprised, dropped the weapon.

Hardy: I'm not gonna let you kill him!

Messiah: F*ck you! I want him eliminated! I want him--

Hardy: You want him dead, is what you want!

Messiah: And what do you care?

Now all of Messiah's anger to Martin was turning towards Matt. He swung with a right hand, trying to get Hardy off of him. He missed, and before any further punches could be thrown, Dean Malenko and Billy Kidman (who had returned from the fight in the ring) separated them.

Malenko: Knock it off, guys! KNOCK IT OFF! Save it for the ring!

Messiah: What the f*ck do you know, old man?!

Hardy: Shut up before I--

Messiah: Before you what?

Kidman: Easy, guys, easy. Let's all just calm down.

As Kidman backed Hardy away, Teddy Hart peered out from behind the door to Room 3. He saw Messiah, ready to strike at anyone who would not let him rage. He knew that there was a force inside him, if only he could find a way to use it. He returned and waited for his teammates, confident they would appreciate his observations.

Room 2 was in fighting spirit all night.

Steiner: Dammit! I ain't gonna let them get the better of me!

Raven: They already have. You've walked into their trap. As soon as you spoke, you were a dead man walking. If they didn't get you then, they will soon.

Steiner: Oh yeah? What if I win?

Kidman: I hate to say it, but the odds are against you.

Steiner: I know, I know... but I can take the both of them. I'm strong enough to do it, and I know it can be done. I can beat them.

Raven: You could on Earth. On Earth, they are bound by rules, decencies, and other technicalities they have forgone in this realm. Or did you not notice?

Steiner was about to respond, but paused. Raven was right -- Levesque and company didn't care what rules they broke. They just wanted to win the competition, AND keep Immunity around Levesque's waist. Everything they had done was geared towards Levesque winning. Why would next week be different?

Steiner: Damn. You're right, man. But I ain't goin' down without a fight!

Hardy: And I'll keep you alive as long as I can.

Raven: No. Don't make yourself another target.

Kidman: Isn't it a little late for that?

Raven: Maybe, and maybe not. The two of you are targets for secondary reasons. You are not seen as dangers, and therefore you have been granted stays of execution. Scott and myself -- we are high on their list. We are the aces in their deck of cards that they wish to claim in their hand.

Matt looked at Raven.

Hardy: So... we should stay out of this? But then who's gonna help Scott?

Steiner: Hey! I'll take care of myself!

Raven: You could one-on-one. When they have two, we need two. I am as much of a target as you are. It is time for me to work what makes me dangerous, and exploit it in our favor.

Though Steiner and Hardy were confused as to what Raven alluded to, Kidman had his Ravenese-to-English mental dictionary fine-tuned from years in the Flock.

Kidman: So what makes you think anyone can listen to you?

Raven: I have no hope for Levesque. I can see his greed -- it masks his mind. But the other... he is sacrificing himself for a nothing cause. He needs to be made aware of this.

Kidman: I see. Well, good luck.

Room 1 was at odds. The spirit of the competition had gotten to everyone. Nowinski and Dupree were furious that they went through with their "match".

Nowinski: Whatever happened to just saying no?

Shane: Don't you know the first thing about showmanship?

London: Yeah, really -- you act so damn shocked.

Nowinski: It's more than that! Showmanship is one thing, but you should have told us the plan!

Dupree: Oui, but instead you leave us without warning, n'est-ce pas?

London: All right, fine. Consider that your warning. We're not teammates. We're just gonna get through this as we see fit. Eventually, the money would separate us. It has now.

London and Shane went off to the gym. Dupree turned to Nowinski.

Dupree: Now what?

Nowinski: Give me time.

Hart: I'm telling you, this guy could work as our teammate!

Teddy Hart was insistent. He knew -- he knew -- that Messiah's troubles were exploitable. He had seen the anger before in himself!

Levesque: No -- absolutely not! I'm not splitting the money any more than I have to! Four is plenty.

Hart: It's not about the money! You can double-cross him when he serves his usefulness.

Jarrett: Hey, how about we double-cross you instead?

Hart: WHAT?

Diamond: Relax. We ain't doin' that. He's just sayin' that if we're in this, we're in this together -- the four of us or the none of us.

Hart grumbled. Why wasn't he being listened to?

Hart: I bet if I was Michael Shane you'd like the idea.

Levesque: What do you mean by that!?

Diamond: Easy, Paul -- don't get upset. Look, we gotta talk about how to take out Steiner now that we're gonna get him where we want him.

As Diamond and Levesque discussed, Jarrett took Hart aside.

Jarrett: Teddy, man, I know where you're comin' from. But you can't go round sayin' that. Frankly, man, I don't know if we're gonna see a dollar of this -- but I get the feeling, somewhere down the line, we'll be forced to fight each other. And when that happens, ya gotta hope you're ready to win. You wanna be there when you gotta rely on yourself.

Hart: I get ya. So I gotta compromise myself now to save my ass later.

Jarrett: I don't like it either... but I got ten million reasons to do it.

Martin moved from Room 4 to Room 5, joining Homicide and Malenko.

Martin: Damn -- so this is the target room, huh?

Malenko: I guess so. After they got Mike, I knew they had an in to our plan. Just wish I knew what it was.

Homicide: Hey, maybe they just got lucky. Or maybe they just wanted Barton out.

Martin: Yeah, let's not overanalyze here.

Malenko: It sounds easy when you say it, but I don't buy it. I've talked to Fate -- these walls have ears. If he can hear what's said, why can't they?

Homicide: Yeah... f*ckers gettin' favors.

That weekend, Jeff Jarrett went to Fate's office.

Fate: What brings you by?

Jarrett: I wanna know. What you got planned for Immunity?

Fate: You're a spy for the champion, I take it?

Jarrett: We work together, but if he don't have the right to know, you tell me.

Fate: Oh, that's not it. He has every right to know -- but Simon Diamond doesn't.

Jarrett: Why not?

Fate: Champ's privilege.

Jarrett: So ya can't tell me either, huh?

Fate: Sorry.

Jarrett: Fine, fine. Say, one question. While I was under the ring, I heard your announcers talk about a Death Match. What kind of death match you mean by that?

Fate shook his head.

Fate: I'll talk to them about that. They're not supposed to mention anything like it. But since you know, I'll tell you: a Death Match is just what it sounds like.

Jarrett: The ultimate in brutality and violence, weapons galore, blah blah blah...

Fate: No. It means Death.

Jarrett: So, elimination.

Fate: No -- that's a DO or Die Match, and we'll have a few of those, don't worry. Death means Death. As in, death.

Jarrett turned pale. He nodded comprehension and slowly backed out of the office. All this time, he and the rest had thought Matt Hardy was losing his mind. Maybe, just maybe, Matt was right all along.

• 2 weeks later...

July 28, 2004 -- 11:55

Levesque: What?

Fate had just announced to the group a very special tidbit about tonight: for one night only, everyone had Immunity. There would be no eliminations.

Diamond: Why?

Fate: It's our national holiday. We don't have much of an audience.

Kidman: You call THAT not much of an audience?

Kidman had reason to be surprised. The crowd was still strong -- nearly 25,000 -- and it was still bigger than the largest crowd Kidman had experienced on Earth.

Fate: By our standards, yes. It's about half what you normally see.

Malenko: So what's the point of tonight's matches?

Fate: Don't you think I've thought of that? I will tell you when I tell them.

Hart: Damn. I hate waiting.

Jarrett: Get used to it, kid. We're all gonna wait for the right time. I'm not sure when it'll be, but it'll be soon.

Quickly, the Powers that Be called a huddle. The idea of jumping Steiner when he asked Fate for a resolution was out the window.

Levesque: Okay, obviously, plans have changed. No more taking Scott out tonight. We gotta think of a Plan B.

Jarrett: Paul, man, just soften him up!

Diamond: That's no good! He gets the pills!

Jarrett: Damn, you're right.

Hart: Look, just keep Immunity off of him and put things in a holding pattern.

Levesque: Will that work?

Jarrett: Why not?

Levesque: Because we won't face him again next week!

Diamond: We can get him in a tag match. Him and Raven.

Hart: Yeah! We'll do it!

Jarrett: It's worth a shot.

Meanwhile, Matt Hardy tapped Billy Kidman on the shoulder.

Hardy: Bad news. You're out today. I'll cover for ya. I want a piece of these guys while I'm safe.

Kidman was about to tell Matt to quit the pessimism, but instead rolled his eyes and headed back.

At 11:58, Fate made his customary appearance. He was right about the crowd being smaller -- a gate count later revealed that "only" 24,688 showed up -- but they were as loud as ever. Fate took the microphone.

Fate: Friends, today is our Freedom Day!

The crowd cheered.

Fate: And in honor of that, I have made what will be a controversial decision. My warriors, for today only, have freedom. There will be no eliminations.

The crowd instantly booed this. Some were half-tempted to leave. But Fate raised his hand.

Fate: Fear not, my friends. Harken back to the early days in this very arena. Remember, my friends, that it was not always so that people could be eliminated. And because of this, the warriors who fought did so without fear... and without holding back.

The crowd was beginning to cheer.

Fate: That is what you will see tonight! And to celebrate, I am having a Freedom Day Tournament!

Now the crowd was excited again.

Fate: Twelve men will face off in one-on-one matches. The six winners will square off all at once. It will continue until we have one winner. That winner will get a shot at Immunity next week!

The crowd cheered as Fate began to leave, paused, and turned around.

Fate: And that reminds me. Tonight, Immunity shall be defended! Two men have earned the chance. Both deserve a shot. So I will let both have it! Tonight, you will see a triple threat match for Immunity! Paul Levesque, Simon Diamond, and Scott Steiner shall all fight, and one man will be safe for far more than today! So don't think that because there are no eliminations, that the event won't be every bit as... shall we say... violent?

Now the crowd was ready. Fate smiled and walked back.

Segment Rating: 81.1%

DXC Life or Death

Show #4 -- July 28, 2004

Rocksteady: Welcome back to a special Freedom Day edition of DXC's Life or Death! I'm Rocksteady, alongside Bebop, and we're in for a special brand of violence today!

Bebop: Fate has promised no eliminations, which is bad, but he also says we will have a triple threat match for Immunity, which is unbelievably good!

Rocksteady: And tonight, we are going to have a special Freedom Day tournament! Here's the first of six qualifiers!

12:00 -- Freedom Day Tournament: Chris Nowinski vs. Paul London

Nowinski was greeted with severe apathy by the fans in the crowd, who had seen his performances and felt he should have been eliminated a long time ago. London tried to take advantage of the situation, but Nowinski seemed to prefer working in the silence. In truth, he did -- it reminded of him of being back at Tough Enough. He defeated London in 11 minutes with an Honor Roll.

Winner: Chris Nowinski

Bebop: And Nowinski advances from this qualifier, much to the dismay of this crowd, Rock!

Rocksteady: Indeed -- It seems like they'd rather he be eliminated sooner instead of later.

Virch Rating: 1/2*; Segment Rating: 33.1% (eep)

12:13 -- Freedom Day Tournament: Michael Shane vs. Rene Dupree

Shane and Dupree had seen -- or rather, heard -- the lackluster reaction Nowinski got. Neither man wanted to be seen as the one that killed the show, Immunity be damned. Both men began hitting as many high-impact moves in a row as they could, trying to keep the crowd hyped up while not killing themselves. The result was an energetic little mess that would have been criticized on Earth for a lack of psychology. Of course, this ain't Earth.

Shane took everything Dupree offered and returned fire. He spun out of the Death Valley Driver at the 8 minute mark and blasted Dupree with a superkick. That was enough.

Winner: Michael Shane

Rocksteady: And Michael Shane joins the field as a qualifier!

Bebop: I'd say things are looking better!

Virch Rating: *1/4; Segment Rating: 58.1%

12:23 -- Freedom Day Tournament: Dean Malenko vs. The Messiah

While Messiah could usually be counted on to survive and provide the violence, he was never able to get the upper hand on a crafty veteran like Malenko. The Iceman made Messiah tap out to the Cloverleaf in 7 minutes. It was almost too easy.

Winner: Dean Malenko

Rocksteady: If Dean Malenko can do that on a regular basis, he might win this thing!

Bebop: I think he just could! WAIT!

Rocksteady: I thought there would be no eliminations!

Bebop: We might still have one -- the hard way!

12:32 -- Another Alliance

As Rocksteady and Bebop thought about the possibilities, Andrew Martin came running out from backstage. He bowled over Messiah with a boot and began punching away until Malenko called him off.

Martin: He wants to kill me? I'll destroy him!

Malenko: Calm down, man. We need you to stick around.

Martin: I will. I'll get him.

Segment Rating: 58.8%

12:35 -- Freedom Day Tournament: Raven vs. Teddy Hart

Bebop: Here comes the favorite!

Rocksteady: To win, or of the fans?

Bebop: I'd say both! Teddy Hart is in deep trou-- look at this!

Turns out that Teddy had had some backup. Messiah, who was just clearing the cobwebs, smashed Raven with a lead pipe he had found lying under the ring. He continued working over Raven's shoulders and neck, hoping to incapacitate him long enough to get him to lose. Hart waved Messiah off after three minutes and covered Raven...

...for two!

Rocksteady: Can you believe this?

Bebop: What a fighter!

Raven began the slow, steady comeback. Hart would hit Raven with everything he had, but Raven would kick out again and again, getting desperation punches and kicks to wear Hart down. The crowd ate it all up; this was a match that the old-schoolers could appreciate. Hart kept firing away with bodypresses and dropkicks, but a well-timed shot from Raven's taped fist would keep Hart on edge. Finally, Hart tried for the Hart Attack as Raven waited, playing possum. Raven got up as Hart dove and caught him with an Evenflow. The pin came at the 15 minute mark.

Winner: Raven

But he wasn't done. Jeff Jarrett conveniently decided to arrive early for the next match, as he and Hart pounded and pounded on Raven. Jarrett then called Hart aside.

Jarrett: What happened to the plan?

Hart: I thought I was doing you a favor.

Teddy Hart left, uncertain of where his alliances fell.

Virch Rating: **1/4; Segment Rating: 69.2%

12:53 -- Freedom Day Tournament: Jeff Jarrett vs. Matt Hardy

Matt slowly walked to the ring, certain that an ambush lay around every corner. Jarrett smirked as Hardy passed Hart. The two men glared at each other.

Hardy: This ain't your fight.

Hart: I know. Meet me after the show.

Hardy was puzzled, which took his focus off of the match. His mind was already a little messed up from the thoughts of what sort of barbaric civilization he was in. Jarrett -- also in on the knowledge of the past -- was more able to put it behind him. He grew up a performer; he could hide his true feelings. In the end, this was the edge he needed. Jarrett made Hardy tap out to the figure-four in 9 minutes.

Winner: Jeff Jarrett

Rocksteady: Five down, one to go!

Virch Rating: **1/2; Segment Rating: 70.2%

01:04 -- But First...

John Cena came out to a chorus of boos, ready for the final qualifier.

Cena: Yo, can it, dogs, and listen the shiznit up.

They got me facin' that fool Homicide one more time.

I shouldn't rap for him -- he ain't even worth a nursery rhyme.

I beat him last week, right here, one, two, three;

He thinks it's gonna be different? Can he even see me?

The boy's in over his head. He ain't got a clue.

Homicide, let me put it straight: soon enough, you'll be through.

I'm sick of listenin' to your street talk and how I ain't real.

If I'm a phony, why am I big time, and you're just a sideshow deal?

This is more than opposite sides. This is about pride.

And today I'm gonna show you why you should be Suicide.

Before Cena could tick off the fans any more with his "rapping" skills, Homicide charged the ring.

01:07 -- ...And Then...

Homicide: Shut up, b*tch, and listen to me! I don't care where you say you from! I don't give a f*ck who pays yo bills! I know street! I live street! And Cena, you ain't even close to street! What makes you think you got it! Some throwback jersey and a few Dr. Seuss books? F*ck that! You may talk the game, but you ain't nothin' but a f*cking poser. This has nothing to do with Malenko, or Martin, or Sonjay, or Messiah -- f*ck them for now. It's you, and it's me. Think about it, C -- I already took a guy out. I ain't afraid to kill some mothaf*cka to get my ten mil! Can you do that? Are you street enough to do that?

Cena: Hmmm. Well--

Cena's reply turned out to be a shot to the face.

01:10 -- Freedom Day Tournament: Homicide vs. John Cena

This small opening was all Cena needed -- well, that and some help from Sonjay Dutt. For the second straight week, Homicide had Cena beat. As Cena was on Homicide's shoulders in the Cop Killa, Sonjay dove into the ring and chop blocked Homicide, causing him to fall forward. Cena put on the Victory Roll and got the cheap win.

Bebop: Cena wins again! How cheap is that?

Rocksteady: We'll find out if he can keep it up in the finals! It's Nowinski, Shane, Malenko, Raven, Jarrett, and Cena! What a brawl that'll be!

Virch Rating: *3/4; Segment Rating: 71.6%

01:19 -- The Trap Is Set

Paul Levesque came out with Simon Diamond. The boos rained down on both men -- even at half the normal attendance, they were deafening.

Levesque: Scott Steiner, understand this! Tonight, you are not laying a hand on my Immunity! Do you honestly think that Simon Diamond has any intention of winning my belt? It's not happening! He knows the secret to success is to stay on my good side! I'm telling you, Scott -- do the same OR ELSE!

Segment Rating: 87.5%

01:21 -- Immunity: Paul Levesque © vs. Scott Steiner vs. Simon Diamond

Bebop: This is going to be nothing more than a handicap match!

Rocksteady: We could see carnage! If only there were eliminations!

If only indeed. Levesque and Diamond pummeled Steiner from the moment he set foot in the ring. They paused only long enough for Levesque to pin Steiner, then continued the assault. The five-minute slaughter left the crowd irate as the announcers noted they'd heard a reaction like this for only one other man -- Chris Jericho.

Virch Rating: *3/4; Segment Rating: 66.8%

01:28 -- Freedom Day Tournament for a Shot at Immunity: Chris Nowinski, Dean Malenko, Jeff Jarrett, John Cena, Michael Shane, Raven

Bebop: It all comes down to this!

Rocksteady: They're rested and they're ready to go! Who's going to walk away with a shot at Paul Levesque now?

Not Nowinski, that's for sure. Everyone ganged up on him and sent him out with an Evenflow from Raven a mere 4 minutes in.

Bebop: And just like that, we're down to five!

Rocksteady: I'd say the weak link is gone! Any of the remainder can win!

Raven and Jarrett tore at each other. Neither man pulled a punch as their rivalry from NWATNA spilled into the next Dimension. In the ring, Shane, Malenko, and Cena were having a decent three-way match. At the 13 minute mark, Jarrett (who had escaped Raven's clutches) hit the ring with a guitar and smashed Shane over the head with it. Shane crumpled in a heap, and Jarrett made the cover.

Rocksteady: No surprises there. The last four should be exciting!

Raven and Jarrett continued their war as Malenko and Cena continued theirs. In the back, all the remaining men watched with interest, then panic as Jarrett and Raven were headed their way. Everyone fled -- except for Levesque and Diamond.

Back in the ring, Cena was fighting to stay out of the Texas Cloverleaf when he felt it released out of nowhere. He pulled himself to his feet, uncertain of whether he'd been eliminated, to see Levesque, Jarrett, and Diamond carry Raven's bloodied body back to the ring. Jarrett tossed it in, and Cena picked it up.

Cena: Did they do this?

Raven (weakly): Don't... worry...

Cena smiled and merely followed orders. He gave an F-U to Raven (lighter than normal, almost out of concern) before pinning him. 20 minutes had gone by.

Bebop: Wow! Paul Levesque's strategy is brilliant!

Rocksteady: He's using every backhanded trick to get to Raven!

Bebop: You gotta think somewhere Null is smiling on this guy.

Rocksteady: Maybe.

Malenko surveyed the situation. Clearly, he had to hope that Cena and Jarrett weren't working together or he'd never make it. They both approached him, making him think that maybe he was wrong. He had no other choice. He had to act fast. He dove for Cena's legs and flipped him onto his back, then locked on the Texas Cloverleaf. Cena had nowhere to go, and Jarrett merely stood by and watched his suffering. Cena was forced to tap out at the 22-minute mark. It was down to two.

Rocksteady: This is it! Who's it gonna be?

Bebop: Is it Dean Malenko or Jeff Jarrett? Wouldn't it be something if Jarrett won?

Jarrett immediately pounded Malenko, almost toying with him. He hooked on a figure-four leglock and grabbed Malenko's arms to keep him from tapping. However, that was also his mistake, as Malenko knew enough to pull Jarrett into a flip. Both men tried to pin the other's shoulders to the mat with technique.

It soon became clear to Jarrett he'd need help. He waved to the back, to Paul Levesque and Simon Diamond, who once again came out. However, they didn't get far before Scott Steiner, Raven, and Billy Kidman attacked as well. Jarrett stood in surprise, almost waiting for Teddy Hart to even the odds. Unbeknownst to Jarrett, Hart was sulking in his room, upset at Jarrett's earlier rebuff.

As Jarrett watched on in confusion and the action spilled around ringside (with more and more people joining in, including the reluctant Hart, until everyone was fighting), Malenko recovered and stood behind Jarrett.

Malenko: Time's up. Hope you enjoyed the show.

Malenko hooked Jarrett's arms in a tiger suplex. He kept the shoulders down and, after a 30-minute war, came out the victor.

Bebop: What an upset! Dean Malenko will face Paul Levesque for Immunity!

Rocksteady: Assuming he or anyone else gets there! This is a war around ringside!

Bebop: Fans are ducking for cover all over the place! Folks, we gotta go, but come by next week when we promise people will have to watch their backs!

Rocksteady: But until then, this is Rocksteady--

Bebop: And this is Bebop, reminding you--

Virch Rating: 3/4*; Segment Rating: 56.2%

Overall Rating: 57.4%

If you had been backstage, you'd hear almost nothing. There wasn't much to say: strategies had been put on hold for a week. No one was requesting much of anything. At least, within the rooms, everyone's mood was pleasant.

But people met backstage. They met outside of rooms. They met within the corridors where the only people involved were themselves and the invisible cameras. A man playing the security tape that night would have heard an earful. He would have heard this.

Hart: I'm telling you, he'll be up for it.

Messiah: What about your stuff with Paul and Jeff? You playin' me here?

Hart: I ain't about to set you up. I know you're bad-ass. I saw you take out that motherf*cker Test -- or whatever he is. I need you on my side. You think we can get by on one plan each?

Messiah: You sayin' somethin?

Hart: Only about your friends. You with Homicide, right? He'll sell you up the river like that. That's why I asked him here.

Messiah: Homicide?

Hart: No, this guy.

Hardy: Okay, guys, this better be good.

Hart: Matt... we're gonna form our own group here.

Hardy: Us? What, you want me to stab Raven in the back? He'll kill me for sure.

Messiah: No he won't. We got the three of us and three of him. Plus Jeff and the boys. We got them outnumbered... I hope.

Hart: Hey, don't you trust me?

Hardy: Well, you're the brains behind forming a new team. Why you wanna do it?

Hart: It's a backup plan. Paul and Raven are targets for everyone. You don't think Deano would love to take Immunity? And he can! I know he can.

Hardy: So when they're gone, you're sayin' I can't handle myself?

Hart: Look, we just wanna get to the point where we can handle ourselves. At some moment in time, Paul's gonna get antsy and press someone's button in his own room. When he feels like doin' that to me, I want backup.

Hardy: And what makes you think you'll get there? Either of you? You guys weren't able to take Raven out now!

Messiah: I stopped too soon. He called me off.

Hart: Sure, blame me! You were supposed to--

Hardy: Guys! No way I'm joining you. You're not even an alliance!

(pause)

Messiah: Now what?

Hart: He knows what we're doin'. He's an example now.

Messiah: What do you mean?

Hart: Next show, we take his ass out. He's too damn paranoid to last anyway. All that sh*t about killin'... I don't buy it.

Messiah: Speaking of buying... here comes your boys. I guess they know about us.

Hart: Jeff does.

Jarrett: I do what?

Hart: Know I made a deal with Messiah here.

Jarrett: Yeah, I know. But these guys don't. And we wanna know what the hell you're doin.

Levesque: You screwing us, Ted?

Hart: Me? No! Look, you guys didn't want another guy in the group, so I'm doin' this on my own. That's legal, isn't it?

Jarrett: If you ain't doin' it to us! Look, Teddy, there's no time for this kinda game. You look like you maybe don't trust us. Is that it?

Hart: Jeff -- do you trust anyone? When it comes right down to it, ain't we all just settin' ourselves up to screw someone or be screwed?

(pause)

Hart: Ain't that right? I don't know what kinda deal anyone's working here, but there's only one winner anyway.

Levesque: Are you questioning us? Didn't we say you could have a share of the money if you stayed with us. You still want it or not?

Hart: How can I trust you?

Levesque: How can you afford not to trust me?

Diamond: Paul, wait--

Levesque: Wait, nothing! If he doesn't want to ride with us, he'll be against us!

Jarrett: Yeah? And suppose we're all against ya? Look, Teddy has the right to do whatever he wants on the side. He's still a valuable member of this group, and it was your idea to bring him in in the first place. So I don't think it's smart to cut our own group. They got four; we need four.

(pause)

Levesque: Fine. Do as you like, Teddy. But don't think for a moment that I ain't eyein' you. You step outta line, and it's over.

Hart: Fine with me. I'll show you what I'm worth. Next week -- Matt Hardy's gone.

Jarrett: And he's gonna help?

Messiah: Damn right I am.

Levesque: All right. Just don't screw it up. Go all the way if you have to. Jeff's told me he heard of a match called DO or Die. Don't use it unless it's a last resort. We don't wanna look desperate.

Hart: A what?

Jarrett: It's no pins, submissions, nothin'. Just an elimination. That's all you can do.

Hart: I understand. No wonder you wanna save it. So what do I do?

Levesque: The two of you. Get him. We'll hold the rest at bay.

Hart: You got that?

Messiah: Yeah. I'm ready.

Levesque: Good. Now let's get some rest.

(pause)

Levesque: Jeff, wait. I wanna talk.

Jarrett: What's this about?

Levesque: Malenko. You didn't get it done. What gives?

Jarrett: I was caught off-guard, all right? I thought it was gonna be all of you, and that Hart kid was nowhere to be found.

Levesque: You can't let it get to you. You don't think Dean's dangerous?

Jarrett: I don't know why you're so worried.

Levesque: Cuz he's old and he's good. He's like us -- he knows what to do and how to play it. He helped ruin WCW. I'm not having him ruin us.

Jarrett: So beat him, all right?

Levesque: I know I will! But I'm telling you now. You gotta get your share done. You and Hart against Steiner and Hardy. I'll make it happen. You make sure Teddy's got a shot at Hardy.

Jarrett: I will. I'll do my part. Just remember -- we agreed to work together.

Levesque: What the hell's that supposed to mean?

Jarrett: That means there's 17 guys who wouldn't shed a damn tear if you were eliminated. And that goes for all of us. So if we're gonna stick together, we gotta be a partnership, got it?

Levesque: All right. All right. You saying you want Immunity?

Jarrett: If it goes from you, I'll get it back. But I ain't about to backstab ya.

Levesque: Good idea. Now, you think Teddy's gonna take him out?

Jarrett: I dunno. He's a flake, man. He don't trust you, and he don't trust anyone. He might not have been the right guy.

Levesque: He's who we had. The fact he's a flake works to our advantage.

Jarrett: Whaddya mean?

Levesque: You really think he's gonna use DO or Die as a last resort?

Kidman (interrupting): So you set him up, huh?

Jarrett: Is this your business?

Kidman: Survival's my business. And Matt tells me that Teddy's trying to survive. So I thought I'd come out here and see what the fuss was.

Levesque: Well, the fuss is that you and your group are about to go down. I still have this, and none of you will get a shot at it while I'm around. I learned my lesson with Steiner. You people are too dangerous for the title.

Kidman: Hey, I have no say over who gets a shot, and neither do you. For all I know, I could be facing someone like Dupree for a title shot. But hey -- it's all a game.

Levesque: It's about the prize. I can see why you will fail.

Jarrett: Hey, ignore him. Let's just go get some rest.

Levesque: Yeah. See you later, PUNK.

(pause)

Kidman: Damn... what's with those guys? You come here for a little time off, don't wanna think strategy... does he always have his game face on? Kinda glad I'm on SmackDown and he's RAW, then. I know his mind. He's an evil man. I just wish... I wish it wasn't always about power with him. I know he's gonna do in Jeff. He's gonna do us all in. And I'm not strong enough on my own to defeat him. I guess I'll need help.

Steiner: You have help.

Kidman: Oh! Scott, you scared me.

Steiner: Sorry. Look, don't let Trips get ya. He ain't the problem here.

Kidman: What is?

Steiner: There isn't one. It's all a game.

Kidman: Is what they did to you a game?

Steiner: Hey, I'm standing here at 100%, aren't I? Don't let them get to ya. When this is over, we'll all have a laugh about it. You'll see.

Kidman: You got a funny attitude.

Steiner: Keeps me from going nuts. I'm lookin' at what Test did, and what Messiah did -- I thought I knew those guys, but their heads... it's in the game. They gotta step out of themselves, man. It's as simple as that. Actually, you know who's got the best attitude?

Kidman: Who?

Steiner: Homicide.

Kidman: Him?

Homicide: What about me?

Steiner: I was just sayin' I like your style. You're all about getting to the top, all about winning this game. You know it's just about the money. You're not gonna make enemies for life.

Homicide: Don't you forget it. If we meet, I'm gonna plow through your ass like I did that Siaki b*tch.

Steiner: We'll see.

Homicide: We'll do more than see. How 'bout we do it!

Steiner: Is that a challenge? You're on.

Kidman: Now, wait, guys... I thought you and Matt were... you want me to step in for ya in one of them?

(pause)

Steiner: Can you handle Jarrett and Teddy?

Kidman: Easier than you think. I think they're about to split up.

Steiner: Good. Do it.

Kidman: All right. I'll let Matt know.

Homicide: Yeah, you take care o' him. I got this freak b*tch right here.

Steiner: Who you callin' a--

Kidman: HEY! Save it for the ring, guys.

Homicide: Fine.

Steiner: Fine.

(pause)

Malenko: Hey, take it easy, man. I need you around.

Homicide: Yeah, I be easy. Them bastards ain't got no f*ckin' clue. Just as soon as I take that white phony out.

Malenko: I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You seem obsessed.

Homicide: I had his ass beat! Twice! If that little sh*t hadn't stepped in, maybe we wouldn't be talkin' bout him in the present tense!

Malenko: I understand that. But that's not the point. The point is that you need to stay calm. You're helping me out by getting on Cena -- that's fine. I got my own needs to think of. Just make sure everything's good.

Homicide: You don't want any help out there, old man?

Malenko: I got it covered. But if he goes for me, back me up. I think I'll be able to make it, but I gotta be sure.

Homicide: Damn straight, sucka. Good luck, bro.

Malenko: Thanks.

Homicide: Stay tight, man.

Malenko: I will. I'll try.

(pause)

Malenko: Damn... I can't believe this. It's like everything's going nuts out there. Wish I could talk to someone.

Shane: Like me?

Malenko: Yeah, you'll do. Good work against Rene there.

Shane: I do what I can. Besides, it isn't easy living with the guys that don't like you.

Dupree: Oh, come now, M. Shane, do you really think that?

Shane: Maybe. Well, I don't know. You didn't seem ticked off in the ring.

Dupree: It's about survival. I survive by not making enemies.

Shane: Sounds like a good idea, but I don't know if it'll work.

Dupree: Why would it not?

Shane: Because a lot of people here who've made enemies appear to be succeeding.

Malenko: You call this success?

Shane: I call what Raven's doing success.

Malenko: He's getting pounded on every night!

Shane: Yeah, but he's had a second shot at Immunity!

Dupree: M. Shane, Immunity is only necessary if you are a marked man, non?

Shane: Maybe. I guess. But soon we'll all be marked, Immunity or not. Don't you get it? When there's 18 of us, it's easy to hide. Cut it to 12 -- 8 -- 6. Then we're all targets. Maybe sooner.

Malenko: Well, that's what Immunity helps you avoid. But in the time we're here, we gotta think about just winning and losing matches.

Shane: Why? Look, man, every chance I get I feel around my back to make sure I'm still alive. Every time I stand up I think of the creeping sensation up my legs. It... it's gettin' to me!

Dupree: You and M. Hardy.

Malenko: Well, he's a different case.

Shane: He's been nuts from day one.

Dupree: And yet do you trust him?

Shane: He's gonna play fair. In fact, I'd rather be in a match with him. Keeps me alive.

Dupree: Yeah, he's gonna be around a while. The faster he breaks off from Raven, the better, n'est-ce pas?

Shane: Probably. You know, you're not bad. I'm sorry Paul wouldn't trust you earlier. I dunno what's up with him. I'll talk with him. See you guys tomorrow.

Malenko: Sure.

Dupree: Au revoir. So, M. Malenko, have you plans for Immunity?

Malenko: I gotta get it first. And that ain't easy. Just... just let me try my best. I don't know what Levesque has planned, and neither do you.

Dupree: Verite, Monsieur. So true. And yet... I can surmise.

Malenko: Well, if you're gonna surmise, best not to do it here. I walked in on a conversation, and the same can happen to you.

Cena: Like what?

Malenko: I'd better get going.

Dupree: M. Cena, what a pleasant surprise. I assume you have plans for next week?

Cena: Survival. Just like always.

Dupree: Nervous?

Cena: Nervous? Ha! You know that ain't me! / What's the last thing to rattle ol' Johnny C?

Dupree: Well, there was something I vaguely remember hearing about at WrestleMania... of course, I was occupied with the other goings-on, but...

Cena: That? That's old news. Can't hurt me now.

Dupree: Ah, tres bien. Well, rest up, mon frere. I will see you soon.

Cena: Damn straight, boy.

Dupree: And drop the stupid street talk. At least I have an excuse.

Cena: Heh.

Fate: Gentlemen, good evening.

Cena: Yo.

Dupree: Bonjour. What can we do for you?

Fate: Stay alive as long as possible. I need all of you to be in this until the bitter end. I want what is mine.

Dupree: What is yours?

Fate: I lost my home in a recent war here. That's what Freedom Day was all about. We were celebrating the end of the wars that took down a dictator. But for me it was bittersweet, because I was a neutral during the wars -- only tangentially siding with the loser. I lost it all.

Cena: Damn.

Fate: Exactly. So excuse me, gentlemen. I am off to deposit my earnings from the gate -- as paltry as they are. Every little bit helps when it comes to establishing my life again.

Dupree: What was the war about? And why are we here to help you?

Cena: Yeah... there a connection?

Fate: There is. But I will tell all of you when the time is right. Before then, you should just stay alive.

There was nothing else important on the tape that night. But from what you have heard, and from what we know, it is clear that the game is going to take a new turn in Week #5. Alliances are already proving shaky. Men are starting to show cracks of paranoia. Misgivings are being assuaged, but replaced with new fears.

In short, the game might as well be starting over.

• 2 weeks later...

Complex alliances were already being formed throughout the week. No one was certain who would be on whose side anymore. One thing remained constant, though: people understood the nature of the game.

Kidman: Look, Matt, you're going to have to trust me!

Hardy: I know. I just thought it would be Scott and not you.

Kidman: Well, I'm good enough, dammit. Scott's got Homicide to deal with. That's the way the game works.

Hardy: Shit. I'm gonna die.

Kidman: NO YOU'RE NOT! Not if you think that way. Look... I don't think those guys are gettin' along, but if they are, they're coming for you. But don't worry one bit. I've got your back. I'll sacrifice myself to keep your ass in the game. I know what you've been through, more than you realize. You need the money. You're getting it.

Hardy: Fine. I just hope it doesn't come to the two of us. I'd hate to kill you.

Kidman: You won't.

Of course, things weren't so sane on the other side of the aisle either.

Levesque: Now remember, it's a last resort. Got it?

Hart: Yeah. I got it.

Jarrett: And if you go out and make a stupid announcement, you're totally on your own. Understand? Do I have your attention?

Hart: I understand. How about you guys, though? Simon... you really think you're gonna get Raven?

Diamond: Do you doubt me?

Hart: Actually, yeah. I doubt a lot of people here. Raven knows how to get people to back him up. This crowd's ready to jump to his defense!

Levesque: You let me worry about the crowd. You let Simon worry about Raven. YOU worry about Matt Hardy. We've given you a mission. Follow through.

Hart: Yes, SIR.

Elsewhere, the challenger was nervous.

Martin: Hey, chill out, man. You can do this.

Homicide: Yeah. We got yo' back. Ain't no one gonna run in and take yo ass out.

Malenko: Thanks, guys, but... I don't know. I hope I have what it takes, but you never know.

Martin: You do. I'm sure of it. Remember, he has a weakness. Exploit it.

Malenko: Yeah. I will.

Fate looked out at the crowd. Due to the holiday, he had lost some of the people he normally had -- although 35,052 was nothing to sneeze at. The gate was piling in, and contrary to what he had told others, he was making more than enough money to retire on the earnings from this competition. He walked out at 11:57, ready to begin.

Fate: Welcome, my friends!

He got a loud reception.

Fate: Tonight, you will see a new challenge and a new challenger. I wish to bring him out now so that we can learn more about this silent man. My friends, I give you Dean Malenko!

Malenko strode out, casually looking around at the huge crowd. He stepped into the ring and shook Fate's hand.

Fate: Dean, are you ready for tonight?

Malenko: Understand this, Paul Levesque. You may have friends, but you don't have my years of blood, sweat, and tears. You never, NEVER had to train on every continent to get recognition. Tonight, that training pays off as I become the favorite to win the prize. Tonight, Paul Levesque, your days of being Immune are numbered. And when that happens, people will play the Game with you."

Fate: Are you saying he'll be eliminated?

Malenko: Maybe not today, maybe not next week, maybe not by me, but I'm guaranteeing that Paul Levesque will not win. And when he's eliminated, you'll all look to me as the reason.

Fate: Strong words, man. Good luck tonight.

Malenko: Thanks.

Fate: And now... let the show begin!

Segment Rating: 60.4%

DXC Life or Death

Show #5 -- August 4, 2004

Rocksteady: Get ready for a big show tonight, as Dean Malenko looks to take that next step towards immortality! This is DXC! I'm Rocksteady alongside Bebop and we know what's happening tonight!

Bebop: That's right, it's Dean Malenko and Paul Levesque going at it for the honor of holding Immunity! Let's get ready to rumble!

Rocksteady: But first, we present some of the other stars of DXC, beginning with Michael Shane against the Messiah!

12:00 -- Michael Shane vs. The Messiah

Neither man was really connecting with the crowd at this point, though they seemed to warm up to Shane as the match went on. Messiah used some blatant cheating to take the advantage, but could never keep it. In the end, Shane dove off with a Picture Perfect Elbow and beat Messiah in 8 minutes.

Winner: Michael Shane

Shane looked into the crowd.

Shane: You wanna see some stoning?

The crowd roared their approval as Paul London came out. He and Shane double-teamed Messiah with a superkick/German combo. London reached for the button, but Teddy Hart made a desperation save. He helped Messiah to the back.

Hart: How are you, man? You ok?

Messiah: Drop me off in my room. I can't continue.

Hart: Sh*t!

Virch Rating: *1/2; Segment Rating: 44.1%

12:10 -- Andrew Martin vs. Sonjay Dutt

This was a speed/power match. Of course, in real fights, power wins. And this was the case here... until John Cena came to the rescue. Repaying the favor to his long-time partner Dutt, Cena delivered an F-U to Martin at the 7 minute mark. Dutt covered and got the win.

Winner: Sonjay Dutt

Bebop: This is the IW... er, DXC we came to experience!

Rocksteady: Alliances everywhere! No one is safe!

Martin decided to head for the hills, but he ran into Messiah backstage. Messiah -- feeling better after having swallowed a few pills -- tore into Martin, but neither man could gain an advantage as they brawled. DXC Security separated the two and kept them locked in their room for the remainder of the show.

Virch Rating: **; Segment Rating: 55.1%

12:19 -- Yo, Yo, Cut It

Cena, meanwhile, stayed in the ring, taking a microphone.

Cena:

I ain't playing no games, I ain't talkin' no trash,

I came here for one reason -- ten million in cash.

Homicide thinks I'm a phony? Well, that's too damn bad.

I'm the best phony this Dimension has ever had.

All my rhymes penetrate to the depths of your skull,

I'm reducing your chances down to null.

Cena had to stop as the crowd suddenly became very loud -- a full minute of a mixed reaction -- some chanting "Null" over and over, and some booing louder than ever before. Security dispelled tear gas to calm the fans down before Cena continued.

Cena (now rattled):

And if Homicide's got a problem with the way I flow,

Let him try to stop it -- but I don't think so.

Cena was cut off (thankfully) by Homicide's entrance. For once, Cena was glad to see the street fighter. It meant he could stop rapping. Something about that word "null" seemed to get everyone excited. He didn't get it.

12:22 -- A Lesson In Street Life

Homicide: Yo, Big Shot. Who you think you are anyhow? You ain't nuthin, b*tch! You're a Massachusetts pretty boy, and people like you I eat every f*ckin' day! So if you want a piece of me, just name the time and the place, and you know DAMN well I'll be there! So, c'mon, wankster! When's it gonna be?

Segment Rating: 54.9%

12:24 -- Not Now

Steiner (from the back): Hold on one second!

Scott Steiner emerged, more prepared than ever and to a huge ovation.

Rocksteady: To quote Jim Ross, business is gonna pick up!

Bebop: It sure is, Rock! Here comes the freak of the week!

Steiner: Now I don't care who eliminates who around here, but let me make it perfectly straight to both of ya! Cena, your day will come in the future, but not while I have a say about it! And Homicide, maybe you weren't paying attention the other night! I respect the way you play this game, but we have a match to get to, and I don't want you to forget it! So come on, boy! Give me your best!

Homicide's eyes grew wide.

Homicide: Did you call me "boy"?

Steiner: I did! Now ya gonna fight me like ya said ya would?

Homicide blasted Steiner in the mouth in reply.

Homicide: No whitey calls me that and gets away with it! C'mon! Gimme what you got!

Segment Rating: 63.8%

12:27 -- Homicide vs. Scott Steiner

These two tore into each other in a brutal battle. Homicide was still seething over Steiner's "boy" comment. Didn't that cracka know what it meant? Evidently not, as Steiner seemed bewildered and on the defensive. Of course, it didn't last long. Steiner, despite not having the most impressive track record, managed to turn the tide. Both men were even when John Cena and Sonjay Dutt returned. Homicide hit Steiner with the Cop Killa, only to catch a corkscrew bodypress from Dutt. Cena threw Steiner onto Homicide, then he and Dutt sat on Steiner, making it impossible for Homicide to kick out. Another match stolen, but the fans didn't seem to mind this ten-minute battle ending the way it did.

Winner: Scott Steiner

Rocksteady: Man, when Steiner comes to, he's gonna be angry!

Bebop: Steiner seems like an honorable man, which is interesting because if he wanted to, he could dominate like Vader or O'Haire!

Post-match, Cena and Dutt doubled up on Homicide. Cena pulled Homicide to his feet.

Cena: Guess you weren't payin' attention, punk. I can eliminate too.

But that little bit of trash talking was all it took for Steiner to make the save.

Virch Rating: *1/4; Segment Rating: 65.6%

12:39 -- And Justice for Brawl

And all four men were off. Cena kept looking over his shoulder, meaning he could never gain an advantage on Steiner. Dutt and Homicide went into the crowd, where the fans kept handing them weapons. Eventually, all four men were wearing a crimson mask, as Dutt had tossed Cena his weapon and Cena's chains (not to mention Steiner's chain mail) got involved. After a long battle, Homicide put an STF try on Dutt, which Cena broke up. Steiner cleared the ring and shook Homicide's hand.

Homicide: Don't you EVER f*cking call me "boy" again. Got it?

Steiner: O...kay.

Segment Rating: 61.1%

Rocksteady: Man, what a first hour we've had. How will we ever top this?

12:45 -- Quoth the Survivor

Bebop: Will this do?

Rocksteady: Plenty!

Raven headed to the ring, looking over the crowd that chanted his name.

Raven: The time has come, the Raven said, to talk of other things. Of shoes and strings and ceiling-wax? No. I have come here to talk about my opponent tonight. The man who foolishly believes I am not long for this competition. That man is one Simon Diamond.

The crowd booed at the mention of Simon's name.

Bebop: His control over the crowd. I've only seen it in one other man.

Rocksteady: Hogan?

Bebop: No, Null.

Rocksteady: Shhh!

Raven: Simon, I do not hate you. I do not envy you. I pity you. You're the only who can't see what the puppet masters Levesque and Jarrett are doing. You're letting them string you along like a fool. Soon enough, they will bury you. They will use you and throw you away like an empty shell. Only instead of a shell, you'll be a statue, and no one will hear you scream your anguish at their treason.

Raven leaned over the rope as the crowd listened attentively.

Raven: Simon Diamond, I offer you a choice. I offer you salvation. You shall not be seen as a traitor, no! You will be seen as a convert. A member of the enlightened. My group has formed because we have to. That means we trust each other more than you trust your group -- which formed because they want to. I know not where our future lies, Simon, but I know it will lead to your ruin if you do not heed my warning. I am a survivor because I keep my enemies in my sight. But more than that, I know who they are. Quoth the Raven, NEVERMORE!

The crowd chanted Raven's name as Simon Diamond came out, shaking his head and ready to fight. Raven couldn't be right, he thought. They'd never betray him. They need him as much as he needs them.

Segment Rating: 84.5%

12:50 -- Raven vs. Simon Diamond

Diamond had one advantage over Raven -- he was not weakened by years of being a warrior. He figured if he could keep the match going, he would win, and Raven would be too tired to continue. As a result of this line of thought, Simon kept on Raven with wear-down holds. However, he underestimated Raven's willingness and resolve. Raven fought out of everything, turning the match to his advantage and sneaking in an Evenflow DDT. It took 14 long minutes, but he survived. Right?

Winner: Raven

Sort of. Out came Paul Levesque to double-team Raven. Levesque casually turned Raven onto his stomach, but Scott Steiner ran in and attacked. Still, now he was 1-on-2, and Diamond and Levesque had their way with him, much like the previous week. Just as Levesque was about to hit the Pedigree, though, Dean Malenko charged in and cleaned house. He helped Raven and Steiner get to their feet. Levesque decided to wait for another day.

Virch Rating: **1/4; Segment Rating: 69.0%

01:06 -- Paul London vs. Rene Dupree

This match was assigned by Fate to cool the crowd off before the Immunity match. It must have worked, and it helped that the match was a total trainwreck aesthetically. Dupree won in 11 minutes with a Death Valley Driver.

Winner: Rene Dupree

London got to his feet after the match and shoved Dupree. The two were ready to resume hostilities when...

Virch Rating: *1/2; Segment Rating: 38.8%

01:19 -- Can't We Just Get Along?

Shane: Stop, stop, stop! Paul -- Rene -- I know we don't agree on a lot of things, but dammit, this is something we gotta work together on! Now I was talking to Rene between shows, and guess what -- he raises some good points. Paul, we're killing ourselves. Maybe if we just joined in with Nowinski and Dupree, we'd all survive better. The last thing we need is a bunch of enemies. Especially, Paul... ESPECIALLY... when they'd eliminate us. C'mon -- we can settle our differences later! Are you ok with that?

Segment Rating: 61.3%

01:22 -- Someone Isn't

Before anyone could reply, though, Chris Nowinski assaulted Shane from behind. Dupree shrugged, smiled, and joined in. As Shane looked at his two tormentors, he was seen struggling to get words out.

Shane: I... thought... we...

Dupree: You thought wrong, Monseiur. We outsmart you, non?

London, however, had recovered from the initial shock and come to his partner's rescue. He took the mic.

London: That's it! Next week, I want your ass in the ring, smart guy! You've double-crossed me and my friend! No more! We'll take both of you out. We know you're our enemies now... there's no turning back! You ready?

Nowinski took the mic.

Nowinski: Not happening. We don't have to accept, and quite frankly, we'll decide when and where we meet. Cheers!

Nowinski walked off, a smug look on his face, amidst a chorus of boos.

Segment Rating: 51.7%

Rocksteady: Folks, I'm excited about this. It's team battling at its finest!

Bebop: You're right, Rock! We have Billy Kidman and Matt Hardy going against Jeff Jarrett and Teddy Hart, and I think either team could pull off a win -- or even an elimination!

Rocksteady: Haven't had one of those in a while!

01:27 -- Jeff Jarrett and Teddy Hart vs. Billy Kidman and Matt Hardy

Well, with tornado rules in effect, everyone attacked everyone willy-nilly, but all pinfalls were being broken up. At one point, Teddy waved to the back, but nothing happened.

Hart: Dammit! Did he double cross me?

Kidman snuck up from behind Hart.

Kidman: Nope -- he's just grounded. As are you.

Kidman then tossed Hart in a German suplex. He went up top, but Jarrett met him and superplexed him. Now it was Hardy's turn to get involved. Everyone paired off as Kidman and Jarrett went into the crowd. Jarrett tried to powerbomb Kidman off the railing to the floor, but that didn't go too well. Back in the ring, Hart had Hardy down and went up top. His Hart Attack Press missed, however, and Hardy took over. One well-placed Twist of Fate had Hart out, but Jarrett stepped in.

Jarrett: Well, if Teddy can't do it, I will!

Hardy: The hell you will. I ain't dying today.

This was enough of a distraction for Kidman to roll Jarrett up, but it only got two. Jarrett and Hardy tore into each other, while Hart and Kidman continued their aerial assault. Finally, Hart had Kidman down and out and went up top, but Hardy managed to clang Jarrett's own guitar on him. Hardy caught Hart with a top-rope Twist of Fate. That was finally enough, after 16 minutes, to end the match.

Winners: Billy Kidman and Matt Hardy

Rocksteady: What a match this is! We have winners, and -- uh-oh, what's this?

Hart attacked Hardy as soon as he recovered. Hart had Hardy down, but Kidman stood in his way.

Kidman: You ain't touching him.

Jarrett: We've done enough. C'mon, kid, let's go.

Hart: Not yet!

Virch Rating: **; Segment Rating: 60.9%

01:45 -- The Match You've Been Waiting For

Hart: Matt Hardy, you've made some big mistakes in your life! But you turned down a chance to be a part of us! We could have had the advantage! Now you think you're special enough... you know nothing!

Hardy slowly came to, confused about what he heard.

Hart: Kidman, get out! This is between him and me!

Kidman shrugged and left, watching his back the whole time.

Hart: Matt -- I've been given a mission, and that mission is to eliminate you! Next week, I WILL eliminate you, or I'll leave the competition -- and I plan to do it in a DO or Die Match!

The crowd exploded in cheers, chanting "DO or Die" repeatedly.

Hardy: A what?

Hart: You heard me. Either you win... or you leave. One of us ain't goin' back into that dorm area next week. So if you wanna survive, you gotta take me out -- and buddy, I ain't never leaving this competition.

Hardy: Wait... I'm not gonna kill anyone... who do you... no!

But he was overruled.

Fate: Yes!

The crowd cheered as they turned to the entranceway.

Fate: Matt, as much as you may have reservations, there is one challenge a man can never back down from in this event -- DO or Die! The challenge has been made, and no one rejects it... not even you! So next week, one of you will win, and one of you will be turned to stone. Look around, gentlemen -- this may be your last chance to hear the crowd.

The two stared at each other as Fate walked with them to the back, making sure neither man went after the other.

Segment Rating: 62.1%

01:48 -- Game Time!

Paul Levesque came out early for his Immunity defense.

Levesque: Dean Malenko, you were the fourth wheel on everything you've ever done. The Horsemen? Weakest link. The Radicalz? Weakest link. And now here? Weakest Damn Link. But Dean, I'm in a good mood, so let me tell you this: I'm gonna let you live. I don't expect you to win -- no -- but you shouldn't expect to be eliminated. I'm telling you right now, I will toy with you and toy with you until your time comes. You will be a pawn... in my Game!"

Segment Rating: 85.9%

01:50 -- Immunity: Paul Levesque © vs. Dean Malenko

Sure enough, Malenko wasn't the biggest challenge Levesque had. He tried, but it wouldn't happen tonight. Levesque put him away in eight minutes with the Pedigree.

But Levesque let Malenko stay in the competition. He smiled and held the belt over Malenko as Malenko got up.

Rocksteady: And now he's rubbing it in!

Bebop: This is the kind of champion we're used to!

Rocksteady: And once again, no eliminations!

Bebop: But there will be one next week!

Rocksteady: That's right! It's either Teddy Hart or Matt Hardy who will exit the competition! Until next week, folks, this is Rocksteady--

Bebop: And I'm Bebop, reminding you...

Virch Rating: *1/4; Segment Rating: 60.9%

Overall Rating: 62.7%

Bleh. Good show up until the main event. You set it up so much and then made it a one line waste. Completely anticlimactic. I enjoyed everything else, though. Nowinsksi and Dupree rule.

Dean Malenko slumped on his bed, exhausted even from such a short match. He felt like he had gone 30 when he hadn't even gone 10. Even Andrew Martin and Homicide noticed.

Martin: Dean? You okay?

Malenko: I'll... I'll be fine... I just... tired.

Homicide: What gives? You looked pumped when ya ran out to stop 'em from Raven!

Malenko: I know... I was... I... something...

Martin: Hey -- where's your pill?

Malenko: Took it.

Homicide: When?

Malenko: Before the match... I wanted... to win.

Malenko could barely keep his eyes open. He lay back on the bed and was sound asleep in seconds. Martin and Homicide looked at each other, wondering what to make of the whole thing.

Martin: Is he...?

Homicide: Dude, he's f*cked up. Lemme get a look.

Homicide walked over to Malenko and opened his eyes. Malenko swatted Homicide away.

Malenko: What are you doin'?

Homicide: Hold still.

Homicide held Malenko's eyes open and studied them.

Homicide: Thought so.

Malenko: Wh...?

Homicide: Don't worry bout it. I'll tell ya tomorrow.

Malenko fell back to sleep. Homicide took Martin out of the room so Dean could recuperate.

Homicide: That wasn't no f*cking pill like we know it he took. He got drugged.

Martin: What? Who would do that?

Martin was clearly scrambling for an answer.

Martin: Messiah, right? I mean, he was backstage the whole time.

Homicide: Maybe... but where'd he get it from? And hey... weren't you in the room the whole time?

Martin: Well, yeah, but... but Dean didn't come back there.

Homicide: He didn't?

Martin: This is the first I heard of his pill-taking. So where'd he get it from?

Homicide: I dunno, man. This is f*cked up. You don't think Fate did it, do ya?

Martin: Why would he?

Homicide: Who else would?

Martin: I dunno... if he hid his pill, then that's one thing. But if Fate... I'm confused.

Homicide: I thought we were just playin' a game.

Malenko's lethargy was obvious. Even Paul Levesque noticed.

Levesque: Something doesn't add up.

Jarrett: Why? You won, didn't you?

Levesque: I know I did. That's not it. I know Dean Malenko. He doesn't age 20 years in 20 minutes. He wasn't the same guy.

Diamond: So what did you do?

Levesque smiled.

Levesque: For once, nothin. It looks like we may have a friend after all. Maybe you weren't as dumb as you looked out there, Ted.

Teddy Hart turned and faced Levesque, unsure what to make of that statement.

Hart: As I looked?

Levesque: I told you not to make the challenge until it was a last resort. Matt Hardy's the one who can get ya.

Hart: Why?

Levesque: Cuz he's the most scared. He doesn't wanna die.

Hart: No, no -- you got it all wrong. He doesn't want to KILL. That's my edge. He thinks you really die -- he's forgotten it's all about money. When he's back on Earth once this is done, he'll realize what a fool he is. Heck, he might even realize it while he's in that room, standing there, motionless. But before then -- I'm playin' him.

Levesque: You'll play him right to your own doom.

Now it was Hart's turn to smile.

Hart: Nope. I have a secret weapon.

Jarrett: What's that?

Hart: Remember how Tired Malenko was? I know why.

Levesque: You did it?

Hart: Nope -- but I ordered it.

Jarrett's eyes went wide. He smiled.

Jarrett: Your buddy Messiah, huh?

Hart nodded.

Hardy: I'm dead. I'm so dead. I can't do this. I gotta get out of it. I gotta...

Matt was pacing back and forth the entire time. He couldn't say anything except these few phrases over and over. Nothing Billy Kidman could do would calm him down.

Kidman: Matt, quit it. You can beat him.

Hardy: I can't do this.

Raven: Kidman... cease. He has his own difficulty. You have yours.

Kidman left the room with Raven, leaving Scott Steiner to try to talk sense into Matt Hardy.

Steiner: Matt, c'mon. You gonna be like this all day?

Hardy: I don't know. I'm scared. I'm really scared.

Steiner: Look, everyone gets in a situation like this every once in a while. All ya gotta do is win.

Hardy: Or die.

Steiner: Or be eliminated. You won't die. I'm sure of it. I got this feeling, man. Something about when Siaki was eliminated -- it tipped me off.

Hardy: It did?

Steiner: Yeah -- I dunno why. But you gotta believe me.

Hardy: Whatever. You're tryin' to make me feel good. It's not gonna work.

Steiner: Okay... would you rather I take you out and save him the trouble?

Hardy: WHAT? No! I don't wanna die!

Steiner: Well, ya got two choices, then: play the game or lose. What do you want?

Hardy (softly): To go home.

As Kidman listened in, something clicked within him. He turned to Raven.

Kidman: No one dies when they're turned to stone. Sonny didn't die, that's for sure.

Raven: I noticed the same thing you did. His final words were too late were they truly final.

Kidman: Exactly. He should have gone into shock the moment the stone reached his heart and lungs. Matt's worrying over nothing. But... but how do I tell him this?

Raven: Concern yourself not with him. You have much on your own plate.

Kidman: Like?

Raven: Like your own survival. We are an alliance formed from necessity, but our bond is no stronger than that of Simon's group. Do you believe you will have to eliminate me if you wish to win?

Kidman: Yeah... and you'll have to go through me for the prize.

Raven: I know. I meant it when I said my enemies were in my sight. Everyone is an enemy in Dimension X.

Kidman heard the last few words echo in his mind. He couldn't sense feelings well, but the more he heard Matt whine, the more he wondered: was he protesting too much? Maybe the enemy was the one who tried to look the most innocent.

One evening that week, Fate was headed for his home, the business of the day finished. He heard a snoring sound outside one of the dorm rooms. He looked. It was Chris Nowinski, walking like a zombie. Fate shook him as Nowinski snapped awake.

Nowinski: Wh-wha--? Oh, I'm sorry. I thought I had this beat.

Fate: I was warned this might be a problem.

Nowinski: Yeah... um... well... I guess I best be going...

Fate: Not so fast. I wish to speak to you about your actions last show.

Nowinski: Hey, I'm just playing the game here.

Fate: I know. I applaud them. But you turned down a challenge. Why?

Nowinski: Because they are fired up. Personally, for once I'm glad I'm out here so they won't eliminate me in my sleep.

Fate chuckled.

Fate: You're a wise man. You may know more than you let on.

Nowinski: Well, I do know this federation has a past. I've heard the fans speak of it. Why can't I learn more about it, though?

Fate: There's nothing left to talk about. It's dead. It's not to be mentioned.

Nowinski: Then you'd better remind your commentary team. I hear the one guy mention it all the time.

Fate's eyes turned to slits.

Fate: Don't worry about that.

Elsewhere, far away from the arena and office, a meeting was being held. You wouldn't have known anyone even if you'd seen the first three Earthling shows, but the meeting would catch your interest. It was an underground rebellion.

While Fate had left Null's cameras operational, he didn't have the spy network Null did. He couldn't; he was a private citizen of Dimension X. Therefore, things could happen outside of his boundary. This was one of them.

Most of the people there were no one important. They were soldiers during the New War, the one-week massacre that almost cemented Null's place in power. They were ambushed when Null died, punished for being opposition supporters, and exiled from the lands ruled by Stump. But they wanted to get even.

They saw DXC as their chance. The fans were returning in droves, but the violence wasn't real enough. It seemed like a bad television show. Some even said it was "WWE-ized". And yet, people loved it. There was no denying its popularity.

They knew this week that fan bloodlust would be high with the DO or Die match. They felt they had a way to take advantage of it. Their man on the inside was doing his job, dropping little reminders. Was now the time to strike?

Voice: No. It is too soon yet.

The voice just heard is a new one, of no consequence to the reader, yet. But his respondent's voice is very familiar. It belongs to a man who openly supported Null, who was only allowed to keep his job due to his friendship and rapport on his show. This man has waited since the end of IWF3 to get even with Stump's government for exiling and executing his friends. This is why he mentions the old times so often, the old IWFs, and Null himself.

Bebop: Why? I've seen the fans. They are beginning to remember the old times. Many of the ones who are there, are there because they remember the IWF. Why can't we take their energy and turn it into passion for our cause?

Voice: It wouldn't be right. We can't do what Stump did and use this as a forum to seize control. That's our last resort. Already, people are seeing Stump as a threat. His punishments have become zealous. We will destroy his rule when the time comes.

Bebop nodded, but everyone could tell he was impatient. He himself was lucky; Rocksteady's pleas for mercy kept him where he was, unpunished. But the rest -- his friends -- were not so. They had been punished by a regime that promised change. This wasn't fair.

What Bebop, in his simplicity, didn't understand was how life worked. Technically speaking, these soldiers in the New War had stifled freedom by supporting a dictator. Most people in Dimension X didn't shed a tear at the exiles and imprisonments of Null's supporters, even as he lay buried on the Hill of Heroes. They knew Null was a brutal man with an iron fist, even as they fondly remembered his exploits in the arena.

That didn't matter to him, though; these were his friends. Everyone remembered how Booker T had fought for his friends in the Revolution; that's how they'd remember him. Bebop would be a hero, if only from behind the mic.

• 2 weeks later...

Backstage, Andrew Martin paced the halls. Everyone else was in the ready area with Fate, ready for the show to begin. As far as Martin knew, he was the only person not booked. With a DO or Die match on the card, that suited him just fine.

Matt Hardy also paced. He was constantly looking over his shoulder, wondering if anyone would touch him, hoping Levesque and his posse wouldn't kill him. Tonight, two men would enter. One would leave. It was less than two hours until decision time and Matt still didn't know which way he would go.

Teddy Hart paced to keep loose. It was all so simple. In two hours, he'd have the respect of Paul Levesque -- the inside track to Immunity and the ten mil. He'd have been the man who single-handedly beat another into submission. It was no longer about seeing who was better or worse -- it was about playing the game. It was about making a statement. Tonight, he'd make that statement.

Dean Malenko paced back and forth, trying to stay awake. Ever since being drugged, he felt stranger and stranger. It was as though part of him was being taken from him, but he couldn't explain why. The pill Fate gave him sure didn't make him stronger, although Fate said it would. It made no sense. Why would Fate lie?

Finally, at 11:55, Fate paced through the curtain. A crowd of 48,024 greeted him in full throng. He bowed and held his hand up for silence. Clearly, advertising the DO or Die match worked.

Fate: My friends, welcome to the return of Life or Death! And with it, welcome to the return of an old friend -- DO or Die!

The fans chanted "DO or Die" with him.

Fate: Tonight, you will see two men enter this ring. Two men will give it their all. They will fight, not just for victory -- not even for Immunity -- but for survival. Teddy Hart and Matt Hardy know full well what they're getting into. I have seen the fear in both men. It is palpable -- tangible -- complete.

The fans hung on Fate's every word.

Fate: These two men will attempt to do what they probably swore they'd never do at the beginning. They will attempt to end the chances of another warrior. How they handle it is only theirs to know. But I can guarantee you this -- tonight is just the beginning for one of them.

The fans cheered.

Fate: For you see, whoever succeeds in the DO or Die match will move on to face the holder of Immunity next week -- and will do so in a match of THEIR choosing!

The fans exploded in cheers.

Fate: So friends... sit back... and let the game begin.

Segment Rating: 98.0%

DXC Life or Death

Show #6 -- August 11, 2004

Rocksteady: Ladies and gentlemen, we are here on 3DVD and live in the DXC Arena as the DO or Die Match makes its comeback! I'm Rocksteady, and this is Bebop, and that's just the beginning of what should be a memorable night tonight!

Bebop: That's right, because we will have a 9-man, one-night tournament to determine a challenger for Immunity, who apparently will get his shot later this very night!

Rocksteady: But first, we have the following match between a couple of young underdogs here in DXC!

12:00 -- Chris Nowinski vs. Billy Kidman

Nowinski and Kidman fought hard, but Kidman seemed to have an advantage. He was using sucker tactics and mind games on Nowinski, leading the announcers to speculate he was picking up some of Raven's ideas. Kidman landed a Kid Krusher off the top rope on Nowinski to end the match in ten minutes.

Winner: Billy Kidman

Rocksteady: And a dominant win for Kidman, who it would appear could receive a shot at Immunity very soon!

Bebop: But not before someone in the tournament does, Rock!

Rocksteady: True enough!

Virch Rating: 3/4*; Segment Rating: 54.1%

12:12 -- Jeff Jarrett vs. Paul London

London looked around nervously as he entered the arena. Michael Shane had disappeared earlier that morning, and he hadn't seen him yet. He was worried about an attack from Rene Dupree, which left him open for a shot from behind by Jarrett. Jarrett kept his advantage and pummeled London. The crowd rallied behind the young stud, but to no avail. Jarrett hit the Stroke and a figure-four (with the announcers reminiscing about Steve Corino) as London tapped out in six minutes.

Winner: Jeff Jarrett

Bebop: Much like Corino, you gotta think Jeff Jarrett is a favorite to last to Deadly Games!

Rocksteady: B, he might be around longer than we are!

Bebop: Especially with wins like -- the hell?

Virch Rating: **1/4; Segment Rating: 67.7%

12:20 -- INCOMING!

Paul Levesque emerged from the back and began pounding London, with Jarrett's help. Levesque seemed intent on thinning the competition, and seeing as he had Immunity, he just might have been able to do it. Jarrett tossed London to the outside and held him up as Levesque stared London in the eyes.

This meant, however, that he never saw Shane coming. Michael Shane had not disappeared; rather, he was perched in the rafters of the DXC Arena, an idea he got from his uncle back in '96. He grabbed a cable and swung the full hundred feet to the floor, bowling over everyone in the aisleway. The crowd went nuts.

Bebop: What a way to make a save!

Rocksteady: Unbelieveable!

Segment Rating: 65.6%

12:23 -- Cut the Flow

John Cena was out next. The crowd booed in anticipation of his rap.

Cena: Yo, yo, yo!

Tonight we got a one-night showdown deal,

Get to show everyone in the back I'm for real.

This ain't about pride, it's about Immunity.

And I'm gonna win it all, that you can plainly see.

Homicide and Steiner, they're tough, I know all that.

But beatin' that street thug -- man, it's gettin' old hat.

Steiner? Don't make me laugh. He ain't a threat at all.

I'm just waiting for his other foot to fall.

So if you two boys wanna come and get Johnny C,

All you gotta do is ask -- if you can see me.

Cena waved his hand in front of his face as Homicide and Steiner charged. It was on.

12:26 -- Mini-Tournament: John Cena vs. Homicide vs. Scott Steiner

A wild brawl broke out, with all three men pounding anyone that moved. As a result, the referee took his fair share of lumps, but never really got bumped. Steiner went for a weapon, but Cena busted him up with a chain. Homicide tried the Cop Killa on Cena, but Steiner would yank both of them out of the ring. After a ten-minute stalemate, Steiner slapped the Recliner on Homicide, only to get yanked off and rolled up by Cena for the pin.

Rocksteady: One down, two to go!

Bebop: Could John Cena make good on his promise?

Virch Rating: *1/2; Segment Rating: 69.5%

12:38 -- The Conversion Continues

Raven entered. The crowd was on their feet.

Raven: Simon Diamond... over the course of the past few shows, we have crossed paths many a time. I have not lost hope in you, young man -- on the contrary, I still feel it, breathe it, sense it, and know it. You are a good man, Simon. You are better than the man who uses Immunity to hide from you. Mark my words, Simon -- I am the path to survival. You know where I stand with you, but others deceive you. Tonight, while Rene Dupree wallows in his own attempts at victory, I will show you my ways. I will show you how I am. And I will ask you one last time if you wish to be saved from yourself. Quote the Raven, Nevermore!

Segment Rating: 80.2%

12:42 -- Mini-Tournament: Raven vs. Rene Dupree vs. Simon Diamond

The crowd was exceedingly INTO this match, as everyone wondered if Simon would follow as Raven wanted or as Levesque did. Diamond, to most people's surprise, chose neither: he hung around the outside and let Raven destroy Dupree, ending with an Evenflow DDT. However, as Raven went for the cover, Diamond took a lead pipe and smashed it on Raven's head. He then did the honors of covering Dupree, ending the slaughter in six minutes.

Winner: Simon Diamond

Rocksteady: A clever move by Simon there!

Virch Rating: **1/4; Segment Rating: 73.4%

Bebop: That's what the triple threat match is about, Rock. You gotta watch your back at all times, or else you'll be stuck on the outside looking in without doing anything wrong!

12:50 -- Mini-Tournament: Dean Malenko vs. Messiah vs. Sonjay Dutt

Malenko came out, seemingly not at 100%. He watched as Messiah and Sonjay waited for him in the ring. However, Malenko had a secret weapon. Homicide and Andrew Martin, knowing of Malenko's weakened state, jumped his foes from behind and pounded them down with powerbombs. The two agressors were chased off by John Cena, but the damage had been done. Malenko, three minutes in, rolled into the ring and lay on top of Sonjay for the pin.

Virch Rating: *1/2; Segment Rating: 63.3%

But Dean had no time to celebrate, because Simon Diamond came down and began the winner's match.

12:55 -- Mini-Tournament: Dean Malenko vs. John Cena vs. Simon Diamond

Diamond landed a series of clubbing shots around Malenko's upper body as the Iceman fell wearier and wearier. John Cena ran in after running off his foes and tried to pick up the pieces as Simon landed the Problem Solver on Malenko. Cena faced off against Diamond...

...but Simon merely walked out of the ring and to the back. Cena stared, confused, before putting his foot on Malenko's chest. Cena now had the shot at Immunity, but Malenko had taken a 16-minute beating that left many concerned. He was ripe for elimination.

Rocksteady: Levesque vs. Cena! What a match that will be!

Bebop: I can't wait!

They didn't have to. As soon as Cena threw up the Word Life hand signal, Diamond returned to the ring. He pummelled Cena with a chain and chair around the upper body. As he did so, Levesque headed to the ring, grinning an evil grin. (Meanwhile, Homicide and Martin pulled Malenko out of the ring to save his skin.)

Virch Rating: *1/2; Segment Rating: 59.7%

01:13 -- Immunity: Paul Levesque © vs. John Cena

Diamond and Levesque continued the double-team, as Cena never really had a chance in this one. A Pedigree finished it six minutes in, as Diamond looked on, smiling. Somewhere, Raven cursed. His message had yet to get through.

Virch Rating: *1/2; Segment Rating: 58.3%

Rocksteady: It's time, B!

Bebop: Yeah, it is! As much as Immunity meant, this means even more!

Rocksteady: This is why Immunity matters! Otherwise, you could be forced to do THIS!

Both: DO - OR - DIE!!!

01:21 -- DO or Die Match: Teddy Hart vs. Matt Hardy

Hart came out first, dressed like a soldier of fortune. Hardy followed, still in plainclothes and clearly nervous. He stepped into the ring just as Hart began to charge. Hardy couldn't block, and Hart was on offense, clubbing away and using his helmet to assist in bruising Matt's back. He stopped and asked for a mic as Hardy lay on the ground in pain.

Hart: You like that? I got a lot more where that came from! Matt -- tonight -- I'm doin' it! And that means you're gonna DIE! I'm ready to kill ya! I'm ready to destroy you! C'mon, punk!

Backstage, Levesque and company watched. So did Raven and company. Each one had taken a vow to keep the other from interfering. But there was one person who seemingly was unaccounted for.

As Hart went to the top rope to throw his body at Hardy, Matt shook the ropes. Hart landed groin-first on the turnbuckle, and Matt followed with a super Twist of Fate. He stood over Hart's stunned body, then left the ring and began to walk to the back. As Hart came to, he stared at Matt.

Hart: Hey! I'm still alive! You're not done yet! Don't you even think of walking out on me! Get back here! Throw him back!

On cue, a crack was heard backstage. Matt was being dragged back to the ring by Messiah, Teddy Hart's henchman. Messiah tossed Hardy into the ring as Hart smiled. He ordered Messiah to pick Hardy up. Messiah did so, and the duo hit the Hart Attack. Hardy was in deep trouble... and it would have been worse had it not been for quick thinking backstage.

Steiner: No, this ain't right! He ain't winnin' like this!

Jarrett: Where the hell you goin?

Steiner: I'm evening the sides!

With that, Scott burst through the curtain into the arena. Jarrett tried to follow, but Raven and Kidman held him back. Soon, Levesque, Jarrett, Raven, and Kidman were fighting each other, with only Simon Diamond watching.

Back in the ring, Messiah held Hardy up as Hart was ready to deliver a superkick. By this time, though, Steiner got to the ring and yanked Messiah to the mat. He slapped on the Steiner Recliner and shouted at Messiah.

Steiner: Go home now before I make you pay!

Messiah: F*ck you!

Messiah escaped the hold and began to attack Steiner. Now two wars were going on: Steiner and Messiah, and Hart and Hardy. No one bothered to break up Steiner/Messiah, and Hart/Hardy was a match. And in this match, Matt Hardy was dominating again. He hit a piledriver on Hart and started at him on the ground. Satisfied, he again tried to leave, forsaking the rules of the contest.

That wasn't good enough, as Messiah escaped Steiner's grasp and tackled Hardy.

Messiah: Don't you get it? DO or Die! Get in there!

Matt: I ain't killin' anyone!

Messiah: Then I am!

Messiah suckerpunched Hardy and rolled him over. Just as he was about to press the button, he felt a giant hand around his neck. He heard the words he feared the most from the man he feared the most.

Steiner: I think you just got DQ'd, punk!

Steiner slammed his right hand into Messiah's neck and jammed the button down. Messiah tried to fight Steiner off and run to the back, but as soon as he began to move, his feet stopped. He looked down and saw it was too late. He turned and flipped off Steiner -- a pose he would hold for a very long time as the transformation completed.

Back in the ring, though, Teddy Hart was recovering again. He saw Messiah now made of stone, and Steiner headed to the back, leaving Matt Hardy all alone. He called out on the mic to Hardy again.

Hart: Matt, you see that! That's your future! If you ain't killin' me, I'm comin' down there and killing you!

Hart charged with reckless abandon and Hardy, swinging away with anything he could find. Matt kept ducking and dodging, trying to protect his neck in more ways than one. Eventually, a frustrated Hart tried to throw Messiah at Hardy, but couldn't lift him up. Matt tackled Hart to the ground, facedown, and tried to stand up, but got careless.

Matt froze -- figuratively -- as he pushed off of Hart with his hand. He felt his index finger slip. He didn't know if it was done subconsciously or purely an accident, but whatever it was, his hand had found the button. Without even meaning or trying to, he had succeeded.

Hart hadn't noticed it. He was planning on playing possum until Matt walked to the back again. But as Matt disappeared behind the curtain, devastated, Hart kipped up and stopped dead in his tracks. He couldn't move his feet anymore, then his legs. He looked skyward, as if to ask how God could have let things go wrong. He let out a final scream, one which Matt heard even as he walked back to his dorm. It was the last image of the show.

Winner: Matt Hardy

Rocksteady: TWO! Two eliminations in one match!

Bebop: What a show this has been! This is the IW-- er, DXC we all know and love!

Rocksteady: What's gonna happen now that we're down to 16? For Bebop, this is Rocksteady, reminding everyone in the back--

Both: DON'T GET ELIMINATED!!

Virch Rating: *1/4; Segment(s) Rating: 54.2%

Overall Rating: 54.2%

Matt was silent after the show. He sat in his dorm and thought. All he could think of was the scream of Teddy Hart, echoing in his ears and in the arena, as the last of the stone engulfed him. He wanted to change the subject in his mind, drop it, push it away, but it came right back to him.

Matt couldn't even get it through him to thank Scott Steiner for saving his life. Was it even a life worth saving? How had he repaid the man -- by killing another? And for that matter, was what Scott did so noble -- after all, Messiah's gone too.

Matt was dazed, confused, bewildered, and just plain scared. The last half hour had drained him completely of emotion. He just stared at the table where the pills were. Four of them waited -- one for each of the competitors. There should have only been three, he thought.

Was it a kill or be killed situation? And why to him, after all he had been through? Didn't he say from day one that this place believed in blood and death? Why was he here? And why was he competing? Money. It was all about money. For the wrestlers, it was about ten million. For Fate, it was about regaining the wealth he had. There were probably others profiting from this deadly exercise -- profiting when he killed Teddy Hart.

He wanted to say he was sorry. He wanted to find that statue and talk to it. It wouldn't do any good -- Hart was dead anyway -- but it would cleanse his own mind. He could at least feel better about himself. But Hart and Messiah had already been taken away -- to where, Matt would never know.

Voice: Matt?

Matt looked up.

Matt: Oh, hi, Billy.

Kidman: Matt, you're okay. You're alive. That's what matters.

Matt: No... I'm not okay. I killed a man. That doesn't make me okay.

Kidman: You didn't kill him! He can't be dead! I know it!

Matt: Whatever. He's not alive now. He can't do a thing on his own.

Kidman: And is someone who is in a coma dead? How about someone on life supp--

Kidman stopped. Matt shot him a glare.

Kidman: The point is, he isn't dead and I can prove it.

Matt: How?

Kidman: You remember how he was as the stone was creeping up him?

Matt: Yeah... yelling. Yelling in pain and grief. His life was over.

Kidman: And how long did he yell?

Matt: Until the stone reached his throat. Why?

Kidman: That's just it! It was past his heart and lungs! You can't live without those -- Teddy should have gone into shock! Raven and I noticed it with Siaki.

Matt: Nice try, Billy. But Teddy's dead and I killed him. And Scott killed a man too...

Kidman: He did that to save your life. It was you or him. For that matter, wasn't it you or Teddy? Weren't you defending yourself?

Matt: He didn't pose a threat to me. I should have walked off. I wanted to... tried to. But it didn't happen. My hand... I don't know. Dammit, how could I do this?

Kidman: You had no choice.

Matt: The hell I didn't. I made my choice several times -- I walked away.

Kidman: And you kept getting sent back. Let's face it, if you walked away that time, Teddy would be right here, fighting you, beating you up and eliminating you backstage if he had to. Or maybe someone would do it for you -- I had to hold off Jeff Jarrett with all my might.

Matt: Look, I know what you're trying to do, but it isn't helping. I... I did something awful. I don't know how Scott's living with it, but I... just let me be alone for a while, k?

Kidman: All right. But I'm gonna be back in a few minutes.

Kidman walked out of the room, but he had a sense of fear. He had to find Raven. If Raven could work his magic over crowds in Philadelphia -- if Raven could make HIM believe for a few seconds that wrestling was real -- then Raven could talk Matt back to reality.

Back in the room, Matt looked around. He saw Kidman's pictures of Torrie on his shelf. He saw Scott's pictures of his family, his sisters, and his brother Rick. All were reminders of what he had, and what he was certain he couldn't get back. And now, what had he done?

Teddy Hart would never return. As if Bret didn't have enough pain in his life, he had to deal with this -- a nephew gone forever, gone too soon. And Matt was responsible. I did this, he thought. I ruined his life. Matt knew people were going to die -- he just never thought it would be at his hands.

The ten million was meaningless. The allies, the betrayals, the games, the double-crosses -- all meaningless. He stood up in the room. No one was around to interrupt him. He knew what he had to do.