Nintendo Revolution Controller!

illmatic

Guest Grapehead

Ok, Zero, except I more often than not prefer to wait and check something out before jizzing or shiting all over it. Now then, about the extra controller thing, I assume, based on the past, that Nintendo will either bundle it with the Revolution, and the extra controllers, or if they are being sold seperately from additional controllers, it will probably be bundled with the first 3rd party game released(much like the expansion pack being released with DK64).

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a near perfect controller, it was called the PS2 Dual Shock, all it needed was a button where your small fingers would be on the controller so you had extra buttons and to put the analogue in place of the D-Pad. Come to think of it, combine the GameCube and PS2 controllers and you've got perfection IMO.

...You mean an Xbox controller?

The original XBox controller is an atrocity against mankind. The Controller S is a great controller, though I still prefer the Dual Shock.

Anyway, back on topic, I think a lot of people are misunderstanding my displeasure with Nintendo as saying the controller sucks. I don't know if the controller itself sucks, but I do know the design sucks and it will turn off third party developers and consumers. You can stroke Nintendo all you want for talking about innovation, it's a great thing but it doesn't sell consoles or games.

There wasn't a single game that wasn't a sequel or spinoff that cracked the top ten sales charts in 2004. Fable, Rise To Honor, True Crime, and Red Dead Revolver were the only original titles that finished in the Top 100. Yes, meaning out of the 100 top selling games in 2004, 96 of them were sequels or spin offs. That's fucking pathetic, but that's the business. Innovation doesn't sell, and if Nintendo isn't selling anything, they're not going to be around to innovate. Yes, video games are art, but they're also business, you have to balance.

I am the only one who thinks the next gen is going to suck ass. I mean all the companies seem to care about now are graphics and innovating. Fuck it I want gameplay.

It won't suck, but it's going to be more of the same. Graphics can't get much better, I haven't seen a huge jump between the XBox and X360. Essentially, you're going to be shelling out $400 to play the new games.

Why does everyone say the Xbox controller was huge? It's a little small is anything. The original PS controller was TINY. The N64 one was better. And the GC one was alright. I was going to take pictures of me holding each of them but I can't be arsed.

Basically, the Xbox is the best official controller yet, at least for adults. The PS2 one does it's job well though with the analog dual shock, since it doesn't really have that many complex games. The GC could have been much better though (for a start, NO SELECT?!). It tends to be Nintendo and Playstation fanboys that say the Xbox was shit and it's controller was just as bad. That, or people who've never played a game on it.

I'm just waiting for the day when you just plug something into your head and it reads your mind as to what you want to do, so you can use any and all buttons at the same time.

My only annoyances with the Xbox controller is that when you plug in the Xbox Live headset, the button to mute it is on the headset part, which makes it hard to reach when you're running around and stuff in Halo for example. The white and black buttons are ok, but they could have been next to the triggers, but there are third party ones with the white and black buttons above the cluster of normal buttons.

What a predictable response.

Hell, I don't really care. You can't really judge a controller until you use it really. My first impressions were "What the fuck" after reading the article I ended up thinking "It could work".

I like the fact that Nintendo are the only company that really seem to give a shit about innovation in the next generation and attracting the non gamer crowd. They have attracted this crowd fairly successfully in Japan with the DS, this seems like the next step in that direction.

People don't care about innovation in a controller, they care about common fucking sense.

This is fucking stupid. Simple as. I don't care whether extra shells are added to make the controller normal, whatever. Thing is, this will alienate not only normal gamers, who rightfully think that Nintendo is out of its mind with such an oddball design, but it's going to shun the kiddy market too, as parents aren't going to buy something with such a complicated controller, waving it around and shit to get it to work.

That controller just flat out looks awesome just like the Nintendo DS. Remote controls always are hot looking and finally a game system maker had some common sense and produced a remote control to play games with.

The Revolution looks hot just like the Xbox 360. The system I wouldn't put in my house because it will look like crap is the PS3. I don't want a boomerang for a control. A remote control is much cooler.

While other companies are producing more of the same crap that has made the game industry so boring and sucky for the last 10 years, Nintendo is single-handedly bringing back side-scrollers and other game genres that work. And they are producing innovative games like Yoshi Touch and Go that do things no game has ever done before.

Now the innovation expands to the system. I can tell you who I'm going to develop games for when I start my game developer in a few years. I'm sure I'm going with Nintendo because they have the best systems on the market anymore. Gamecube was terrible, but Revolution will be as good as the N-Gage and Gizmo are terrible.

I'm glad to see a controller and system that is innovative and unlike anything else on the market. Nintendo is obsessed with great games nowadays while other companies are obsessed with graphics and garbage like voiceovers and online play. Nintendo not only has the first good online gaming server, but the best handheld system and the new console system that looks like it is the best.

understanding-the-revolution-controller-20050916041026412-000.jpg

Q: What does the conventional controller cradle/shell do?

A: This add-on makes it possible to play Revolution games in a more traditional manner. The shell is designed to look and function like accepted "regular" controllers, such as the Wave Bird. After its bottom casing is removed, the Revolution's free-hand-style remote is inserted into a gap in the middle of the controller shell. Gamers can then use the shell as they would a traditional controller, with a notable difference: the pointer remote's sensory functionality remains active. As a result, gamers get the best of both worlds: more buttons and two analog sticks along with motion-sensing operations. In a Revolution version of Madden Football, gamers might be able to use the combo to control players with the shell's analog sticks and execute pinpoint passes with the pointer's improved accuracy.

Edited by abundant

Guest Grapehead

I don't get what you people are arguing against now. Didn't that article claim the shell would work for games that weren't designed to utilize the, for lack of a better term, 'revolutionary' controller, i.e. third party games? So that would mean you get your precious third party support from the controller, while at the same time having sweet innovation for Nintendo to develop and evolve while not really missing out on the third party(as a result of the controller, there's pleanty of other things to keep the third parties at bay).