Nintendo Revolution Controller!

illmatic

I'm glad Zero is here, it saves me a lot of painful, anti-Nintendo typing.

The cradle is a good idea... but it fucking better ship with the system, because while the pointer idea is fucking revolutionary and awesome, it is

a) not really original, as it has been done before

b) included in a shitty, impossible to use to use remote control with almost no buttons

Zero is absolutely right in that this controller has very likely cut off almost all third party support and multiplatform ports from heading to Revolution, which will put the owness on Nintendo alone to produce good games. That will pretty much mean there will be one game a year for the next 3 years, and that will be it for Revolution. They better offer an absolutely astronomical download library or "accidentally" allow you to illegally download roms from rom sites online if they want this system to draw anyone. I don't care how awesome the controller is... it's going to make games harder to develop and it's going to take them longer to develop, which for Nintendo, is going to mean each game will take four and half years to complete. And don't marvel just yet... if you think developers are going to spend an extra 3-4 months to allow for a feauture that will pragmatically only account for a fifth of their multiplatform sales, YOU ARE... OUT OF YOUR MIND. </CaptainPicard> The feauture is useless because third party developers won't spend the cash to support it and Nintendo doesn't make enough games to make it worth it. Ya know, if this was a peripheral controller... or a secondary controller, then this would be genius, but it isn't. As a primary controller it isn't going to attract developers and a lack of developers will keep the smart consumer away.

And while the shell is a good idea, I get the feeling Nintendo shit their pants when they saw the bad reaction the controller got and scrambled out a PR statue to try and save face.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

understanding-the-revolution-controller-20050916041026412-000.jpg

Q: What does the conventional controller cradle/shell do?

A: This add-on makes it possible to play Revolution games in a more traditional manner. The shell is designed to look and function like accepted "regular" controllers, such as the Wave Bird. After its bottom casing is removed, the Revolution's free-hand-style remote is inserted into a gap in the middle of the controller shell. Gamers can then use the shell as they would a traditional controller, with a notable difference: the pointer remote's sensory functionality remains active. As a result, gamers get the best of both worlds: more buttons and two analog sticks along with motion-sensing operations. In a Revolution version of Madden Football, gamers might be able to use the combo to control players with the shell's analog sticks and execute pinpoint passes with the pointer's improved accuracy.

This is a mock up, but it gives you an idea of what they will be doing.

Ok, so the shell thing is slightly less retarded, but still...

If you're going to make a traditional controller for the retarded controller to sit in because you understand that nobody will like the retarded controller, why not NOT MAKE THE RETARDED CONTROLLER IN THE FIRST PLACE?!

understanding-the-revolution-controller-20050916041026412-000.jpg

Q: What does the conventional controller cradle/shell do?

A: This add-on makes it possible to play Revolution games in a more traditional manner. The shell is designed to look and function like accepted "regular" controllers, such as the Wave Bird. After its bottom casing is removed, the Revolution's free-hand-style remote is inserted into a gap in the middle of the controller shell. Gamers can then use the shell as they would a traditional controller, with a notable difference: the pointer remote's sensory functionality remains active. As a result, gamers get the best of both worlds: more buttons and two analog sticks along with motion-sensing operations. In a Revolution version of Madden Football, gamers might be able to use the combo to control players with the shell's analog sticks and execute pinpoint passes with the pointer's improved accuracy.

This is a mock up, but it gives you an idea of what they will be doing.

Edited by Reptilia

Have you read what the wand does?

That's completely different from any home system that has preceeded it.

Not quite. It's been done before, but not on that level.

Though, I'm certain Nintendo can make up for this...odd thing with titles like Mario 128 and a new Super Smash Bros. for Revolution. No matter what odd fucking thing I'll be playing with, Super Smash Bros. is still Super Smash Bros.

Guest Grapehead

[generic joke about this controller, with nothing to add to the discussion]

That is getting boring. Funk brings up a good point, in that it's obvious Nintendo is trying to work towards a new market that is untapped so to speak. I just can't bash Nintendo for the life of me, a company that appears to care more about progression, innovation, and changing the shape of their industry, than hitting top sales and raking in all the cash(such as the case with Sony and Microsoft). I'm not saying Nintendo are a bunch of selfless angels, I'm just saying it always seems like Nintendo would rather take a leap with an innovation, rather than offer up the same crap as everyone else in a proverbial game of hungry hungry hippos, everyone trying to grab as much cash from the majority of gamers.

Yes, because Nintendo doesn't release a new Gameboy every 2 years to get money from the consumers, it's because they absolutely need to update the hardware. :pervert:

Nintendo let me down with the Gamecube so naturally I'm hesitant with Revolution. The current look of the controller really doesn't help matters as videogames aren't about who can add the most buttons and features. They should mirror what kind of gameplay you want out of your games and adding all these features can/will get in the way of developers.

I can only name a select few Gamecube titles that I actually enjoyed while I have a number from PS2 that I prefer. Why? Because PlayStation's controller was smooth and tons of games utilized the setup which helped the gameplay. When I played Madden on GC it wasn't nearly as fluid as it is on PS2 and X-Box. Nintendo wants to be "innovative" but that isn't what gamer's are looking for when it comes to controllers. We want a system that can bring the best gameplay and the graphics are only a plus.

I really want to see RPGs make a strong comeback as they are a genre that I really love but there hasn't been anything great to come out since god knows when. Instead of companies trying to bring out these oh so innovative systems why not try to bring forward innovative games that don't rely on a system that'll only be supported minimally?

I'm tired of people who just don't care about games anymore and just want a system that can do x, x, x, x, and x because "it wuld b kewl".

Edited by Mr. X