To the 5 Buroughs

GRIFT

"They want to see rappers embarass each other with personal attacks and using metaphors, similes, polysyllabic rhymes, multis, internals etc. etc."

You.

"Your rhymes are fake like a Canal street watch

You're hearing me and it's like "Oh my God it's Sasquatch"

That is a metaphor right there.  And who develops a "diss track criteria"? The point of a diss track is to diss your opponent, and I do believe the Beastie Boys do a valid job of dissing Eminem. I'd much rather hear say someone is fake like a Canal street watch rather than hear Eminem diss black girls because he got dumped by one. :D

Those would be similies, amigo. The usage of "like" or "as" in a comparison mean it's a similie. If a comparison is done without those either of those two words, it's a metaphor.

And as much as I'd like to argue the matter, HT's nailed it. Eminem would be very wise to stay away from a battle with the Beasties. Not because he couldn't win, he's more than capable, but his career would suffer quite the backlash if he were to get put in the loser's chair.

Edited by The Midget

I accidently miscalled a metaphor, and here I am wanting to be an English major.

I disagree that Eminem attacking the Beastie Boys would be career suicide. Lets just see how many people flock out to buy the new album and than we can make a judge as to how much the Beastie Boys can still draw. But they have been away from the mainstream a very, very long time.

Heel turn said it the best.

Honestly though, Eminem has talent but his talent is completley different than the Beasties. It is like saying Kobe Bryant is a better athlete than Rinaldo because he scored more points this season. The sports are totally different, the sounds are totally different.

Oh and as a side comment I think the Beasties on top of being phenomenal lyricist have a wealth of musical talent. (Pick up sounds from way out and you'll know why)

Guest fultie

Some of you guys that are on Beastie Boys sides and totally using steriotypes and are far from right.

Squancho, please tell me 5 songs where Eminem finds as many rhymes as he can for fuck.

And GoGo, please point out any kind of stupid rhymes you see in Eminem's "traditional first new single dissfests"

Heel Turn, please read some of Eminem's lyrics and see the disses go way beyong not bein able to sell records and calling people pussies. Sure it happens, but you're acting like thats his only diss. And insulting The Beastie Boys may be ignorant, but Eminem even said it himself about how much respect he has for them. If they diss him, he's either gotta take it out of respect or fight back.

"hear Eminem diss black girls because he got dumped by one."

thats a poor dissed because

a. it was never meant for you to hear

b. he was 16 when he wrote it, what kind of maturity and intellegence do you expect?

And uh.. I could see what The Midget was saying about career suicide but, it could go either way. It could be like everyone was into it while it's happening and he'd make a lot of money. But if he lost it would probably blow over..

"They want to see rappers embarass each other with personal attacks and using metaphors, similes, polysyllabic rhymes, multis, internals etc. etc."

You.

"Your rhymes are fake like a Canal street watch

You're hearing me and it's like "Oh my God it's Sasquatch"

That is a metaphor right there.  And who develops a "diss track criteria"? The point of a diss track is to diss your opponent, and I do believe the Beastie Boys do a valid job of dissing Eminem. I'd much rather hear say someone is fake like a Canal street watch rather than hear Eminem diss black girls because he got dumped by one. :D

I'm sorry, I should have said "They expect to hear GOOD similes, metaphors..."

I kinda think Hey Fuck You is a diss to either 50 Cent or ja Rule, actually. I don't know why.

My favorite track(s) on the CD are: Ch-Check It Out, Right Right Now Now, Time To Build, Hey Fuck You, All Lifestyles & Open Letter To NYC

(The following is all my opinion)

Beastie Boys - Since 1986, thats nearly 20 fucking years making rap music - something not normally associated with a career span like that. A lot of rappers take Jay Z's make the money and get out plan. Musically, the Beasties mixed rap and rock and appealed to millions breaking down genres and stereotypes from either side. Much like RMC and Aerosmith's Walk this Way.

Eminem - Wait, 3 albums, like 6 years? Ok, the first album was good - I enjoyed it. But the other two are just medicore. Compared to License to Ill, Paul's Boutique or even Hello Nasty these albums are extremely below par.

When the Beastie Boys were around were there any other white rappers? No.

Were they taken seriously as rappers? Yes.

Did they have the help of Dre to launch their careers? No. Although they later got help from Run DMC.

Musically, lyrically, performance wise and intelligance wise the Beastie's are better. Even their videos are better. And to still be doing it at 40, and sounding as relevant as ever is something amazing. If Eminem is doing it at 40, I'll be very suprised.

It's a sample from "Rapper's Delight". Song has been redone and sampled many times but the first group that made it I think was Run DMC

if you're talking about who made the original song, it was Sugarhill Gang.

if you're talking about something else...I'll go now.

See, the problem here is, all the Beasties fans are rock kids. They have a very small hip hop fanbase. And, as rock fans, you judge the Beasties not as a rap group but as a rock-rap-punk-whatever band. The Beasties are NOT good rap lyricists. They don't have good rap lyrics. Nine out of ten rap fans will agree that Eminem is an infinitely better lyricist.

Like someone said before, it's like comparing basketball and football. The Beastie Boys are trying to beat Eminem at his own game, and they will fail. The Beasties fans might not think so, but the hip hop fans will, and at the end of the day they are trying to diss a rapper. They're not trying to see who can use the most fucking keyboard layers, they're not trying to see who has put out the most albums, they are trying to diss Eminem and Eminem will, if he chooses to, crush them. That's what he does best.

Hahahahaha.

Wow, you don't realize how ignorant you came across as right there.

I say, if the Beastie Boys are incorporating different types of song writing in their songs and adding it to rap, they are doing a much better job than Eminem. They expand the genre while Eminem rhymes become boring because he never expands what he does. He never evolves. The Beastie Boys are evolving genres, evolving labels and expaning. And that is essentially the point of music.

Edited by PunkRockPete

See, the problem here is, all the Beasties fans are rock kids. They have a very small hip hop fanbase. And, as rock fans, you judge the Beasties not as a rap group but as a rock-rap-punk-whatever band. The Beasties are NOT good rap lyricists. They don't have good rap lyrics. Nine out of ten rap fans will agree that Eminem is an infinitely better lyricist.

Like someone said before, it's like comparing basketball and football. The Beastie Boys are trying to beat Eminem at his own game, and they will fail. The Beasties fans might not think so, but the hip hop fans will, and at the end of the day they are trying to diss a rapper. They're not trying to see who can use the most fucking keyboard layers, they're not trying to see who has put out the most albums, they are trying to diss Eminem and Eminem will, if he chooses to, crush them. That's what he does best.

No, Hip Hop fans will agree that Eminem's lyrics are better, RAP fans would say Beastie Boys. In my personal opinion, Beastie Boys are way better than Eminem for 2 reasons:

1. They don't NEED to say "fuck" or rap about drugs or killing their wives or ex-wives in the presence of their daughter

2. all the instruments you hear on Sabotage, Fight For Your Right etc. is them playing the instruments. They have musical talent, unlike Eminem.

Hahahahaha.

Wow, you don't realize how ignorant you came across as right there.

I say, if the Beastie Boys are incorporating different types of song writing in their songs and adding it to rap, they are doing a much better job than Eminem. They expand the genre while Eminem rhymes become boring because he never expands what he does. He never evolves. The Beastie Boys are evolving genres, evolving labels and expaning. And that is essentially the point of music.

Which is why I said RAP lyrics. Put it in bold and everything. Eminem writes better rap lyrics and CERTAINLY better battle lyrics. You might prefer the Beasties lyrics, but they're not better battle lyrics than Em's. You'd be crazy to argue they are.

No, Hip Hop fans will agree that Eminem's lyrics are better, RAP fans would say Beastie Boys. In my personal opinion, Beastie Boys are way better than Eminem for 2 reasons:

1. They don't NEED to say "fuck" or rap about drugs or killing their wives or ex-wives in the presence of their daughter

2. all the instruments you hear on Sabotage, Fight For Your Right etc. is them playing the instruments. They have musical talent, unlike Eminem.

They don't need to say fuck? We're talking about the song "Hey, FUCK You".

And no, they don't rap about murder. Because it's not their style. It is Eminems style.

I don't care whether they play instruments. We're talking about them dissing Eminem. Battles are about lyrics. You can't diss someone with a guitar riff.

You're all missing the point. The Beasties (might have) dissed Eminem, and if Eminem were to reply he would beat them. Doesn't necessarily mean he's a better musician, it means he's a better battler. And he is, by a country mile.

I don't care whether they play instruments. We're talking about them dissing Eminem. Battles are about lyrics. You can't diss someone with a guitar riff.

People have guitar-offs all the time, call and response guitar playing is a pretty easy way to insult someone musically.

And although I am predominately a metal/rock fan, I like a fair bit of Rap/Hip Hop mind, I prefer the Beastie Boys. A lot of my friends who listen to hip hop like the Beasties more than Eminem. The Beasties are hugely respected amongst Hip Hop artists, Eminem seems to recieve a lot of criticism from various circles.

Most people don't like to hear people bitching about a bad childhood, homophobia, violence to women or someone trying to make his life sound worse than it was. I understand Eminem was bullied, but he acts like his mother was the she-bitch from hell - vigorously denied by her, and doesn't his brother still live at home? In that case, surely she ain't that bad.

If Eminem is so lyrically talented, explain why he can't go through a song without trying to put someone down - the beauty of the Beastie's lyrics is they can literally write on any subject.