Arctic Monkeys

Colly

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here goes nothing...

Libertines = over rated mediocre indie....

as for the arctic single - it's catchy, but it shouldn't be anywhere near #1. (I'm not saying there are better songs out at this moment - because singles are generally pap nowadays - but it isn't, shall we say, classic #1 material.)

Well, most people on here accept that, but its also safe to say that they were the closest to making a big shift in the UK music industry since Oasis.

Which sickens me. Two ways:

1) It's the fucking Libertines

2) Oasis is the benchmark

Fucking NME.

and you're point is what exactly?

there's loads of better indie bands, past and present, than them

Here goes nothing...

Libertines = over rated mediocre indie....

as for the arctic single - it's catchy, but it shouldn't be anywhere near #1. (I'm not saying there are better songs out at this moment - because singles are generally pap nowadays - but it isn't, shall we say, classic #1 material.)

Well, most people on here accept that, but its also safe to say that they were the closest to making a big shift in the UK music industry since Oasis.

Which sickens me. Two ways:

1) It's the fucking Libertines

2) Oasis is the benchmark

Fucking NME.

and you're point is what exactly?

there's loads of better indie bands, past and present, than them

I think that is his point.

Would anyone dislike me for still quite liking The Libertines?

Barat/Doherty was a decent songwriting duo, as evidenced by "Time For Heroes", "What A Waster" and "Music When The Lights Go Out", and Doherty by himself isn't too bad ("Conversation Diva" for one).

They weren't overly innovative, but they were intrinsically British working-class (if such a thing still exists), and had an air of rock and roll decadence that's necessary every now and then. The public need rock and roll excess, and few bands had shown that in recent years.

There are a lot of bands better than The Libertines, but there's at least as many worse, they've just been a bit demonised lately thanks to the gutter press's fixation with Pete Doherty.

Would anyone dislike me for still quite liking The Libertines?

There are a lot of bands better than The Libertines, but there's at least as many worse, they've just been a bit demonised lately thanks to the gutter press's fixation with Pete Doherty.

I like them, as a band, like you say, Doherty in the media has just fucked them over, that an NME's obsession.

To be honest, I think Doherty's got in to the "no one cares he's a smackhead any more" phase, and the amount of people who'll view him in a Cobainified fashion is getting slimmer by the day. He's not the saviour of rock any more, he's that cunt in a trillby that's always on page 6 of The Sun.

Fake Tales was released back in May as a limited edition EP, along with From Ritz to the Rubble. Only 1,000 were made and it sold out on pre-orders, making it a collectors item of sorts.

Scummy (or When the Sun goes down if I give it its new title) should go down a storm because that's a league above I Bet you Look Good on the Dancefloor in terms of quality.

What a scummy man

Just give him half a chance

I bet he'll rob you if he can.

Great song, I doubt it'll be as well recieved as 'Dancefloor', but I'm guessing it'll still be a success.

I didn't like the latest Libertines album, it just didn't have anything special about it. The 2002 album 'Up The Bracket' was very good, but the best stuff is all from 1998.

From what I've heard of the Babyshambles album (I've got 4/5 songs on my PC), it's setting up to be a pretty good album.

What a scummy man

Just give him half a chance

I bet he'll rob you if he can.

Great song, I doubt it'll be as well recieved as 'Dancefloor', but I'm guessing it'll still be a success.

I didn't like the latest Libertines album, it just didn't have anything special about it. The 2002 album 'Up The Bracket' was very good, but the best stuff is all from 1998.

From what I've heard of the Babyshambles album (I've got 4/5 songs on my PC), it's setting up to be a pretty good album.

Pete Doherty reprents the working class? He's as middle class as it gets isn't he?

He's plastered over the Star, Sport and Sun, 'nuff said.

Just because he's well spoken and educated doens't mean he is middle class. He had a comfotable upbringing, which some may interpret as being middle class, but ever since leaving his parents been your average working class citizen who became successful through a talent in music.

Guest muddatrucker

Of course that alone doesn't, but I think hes far more middle-class than working-class, I think labelling him workling-class is much more controversial than naming him the opposite.