Arctic Monkeys

Colly

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working class can only afford University if they forgo food and clothes, specially Oxford.

The Libertines are only seen as good because NME sucked their collective cock so much. They're just another lame, dull indie band with an irritating fuckwit of a lead singer who just won't fuck off and overdose and die already.

Arctic Monkeys aren't really my thing, but I'll take them at number 1 over yet more generic pop/r&b shite any day.

Seriously, Libertines most important since Oasis? Half the country only knows about them cause of Doherty's doped-up antics with Kate Moss.

Working class can only afford University if they forgo food and clothes, specially Oxford.

The Libertines are only seen as good because NME sucked their collective cock so much. They're just another lame, dull indie band with an irritating fuckwit of a lead singer who just won't fuck off and overdose and die already.

Arctic Monkeys aren't really my thing, but I'll take them at number 1 over yet more generic pop/r&b shite any day.

Seriously, Libertines most important since Oasis? Half the country only knows about them cause of Doherty's doped-up antics with Kate Moss.

The Libertines are the only band to cause as big a buzz as Oasis did back in the day, aside from Coldplay (who Skumfrog mentioned), so yeah, arguably they are the most important band since Oasis.

And I personally think that they are seen as good because, surprise surprise, they are actually good. You don't get the fan base they got based on being dull (although that may be how you feel about them). Fair enough, there are many better bands peddling the same sound, but right place, right time and with the right angle (the inner band turmoil, Pete Doherty), they got big. But you can't get big without at least a half decent sound/song writing ability, in my opinion (well, unless you do pop music...but then again, even then there is good and bad pop).

And a big collection of fans who aren't all just sheep to the tabloid/NME hype machine (though some may be).

Seriously, no other recent Indie bands have had anywhere near as big a passionate following as the Libertines. It's almost as big as the amount of people who think they are a pile of wank.

I hate the NME right now, for the past year or so its been so pretentious and ignorant to anything outside of the popular indy wank like the Kaiser Chiefs and the Killers, yet I'm a fan of the Libertines and Arctic Monkeys.

Does that make me a sheep? No. That just means I like the sounds they make.

Doherty's not working class, but he was a rentboy, so that makes up for it.

That said, the "working class" barely exist in the traditional sense any more.

And what does it matter? Most music fans would, I feel, consider Joe Strummer to be a "working class hero", and he's no less middle-class than Doherty.

Erm, if you've got "rich" parents, then I can't see how he can justifiably called working-class. His family have a measure of financial freedom.

I got harassed in a kebab shop by a drunk guy in a 'Free Pete Doherty' shirt once. He asked me if I knew who Pete Doherty. I didn't. He said something about The Libertines and that he should be freed. My mate laughed in his face and told him to fuck off and that Doherty deserved to be inside. He didn't like it too much.

Agreed. As a fan of the Libertines golden age (saw em 4 times between March and November 2002, obscurity to Time For Heroes) the sole Pete lovers are fucking irritating. Went to see 'Shambles tother week in Boro and they were a fucking mess, but you've got all these dicks about going 'Oh my god, its Pete!'. Rubbishness.

Note, this isn't 'I liked em when they were small' bitterness. If I do that I unleash my 'Coldplay in a pub' story. But thats another story as Ringo Starr might say.