ESPN's "Playmakers"

THIR13EN²

I just wanted to know what people thought about the first-season of "Playmakers". I just got it today, thought it looked like it might be pretty good, I've only gotten through the first episode.

Does anyone happen to know if they will continue with this series...or was it a one time deal?

It was cancelled because the NFL bitched about it, and ESPN caved. I wish they'd have continued it since it's much better than most of the shit on ESPN these days. I've seen enough poker, billiards, spelling bees and math competitions to last a lifetime.

Edited by naiwf

Guest Sean O'Haire

ESPN cancelled it in fear that if they didn't they would lose the contract they have with the NFL when it runs out. They show Sunday Night football, and losing that would mean losing more ratings than what Playmakers brought in.

Personally, the show had me hooked. I watched every single episode and I liked it quite a bit. It was a nice change to the usual TV we see nowadays.

that really does suck...because I hear from my girlfriend who watched it that there was a real cliff hanger at the end of the season...to bad it won't ever be seen again. It would have been nice if they were worried about the NFL thing in the first place, so they could have said it would be a mini series, and bring it back every football season...but yet have a clifhaner every show, or something in that nature.

that really does suck...because I hear from  my girlfriend who watched it that there was a real cliff hanger at the end of the season...to bad it won't ever be seen again. It would have been nice if they were worried about the NFL thing in the first place, so they could have said it would be a mini series, and bring it back every football season...but yet have a clifhaner every show, or something in that nature.

Yeah is was a great season. They had several interesting plot lines developing. Some football related some off the field. The NFL bitched because they knew a lot of what was being portrayed on the show is the truth and was giving them a bad name.

i really liked that show. it was really well done, the charecters were kinda over the top but good for TV, and the end had a good little twist. They couldve had a much better second season, with rookies from college, new players signed and things like that. I hope that someone with balls picks the show up, and they will get a nice show that already has a pretty big fan base.

I hope that someone with balls picks the show up, and they will get a nice show that already has a pretty big fan base.

ESPN is not selling the rights to the show. Damn ESPN.

I watched the first 2 episodes before giving up on it. Way to rediculous at parts. It was like Boston Public with football.

Do you work for the NFL by any chance?

I wish they would air it in Canada so I can watch it without buying the dvd set, I'd hate to waste $50 CDN on it if I won't even like the show

If you're a sports fan I think there's a very good chance you'd like the show. It basically portrays what goes on behind the scenes in all of pro sports. The plot lines are realistic too and deal with real world issues.....not some far fetched ones.

Edited by sahyder1

They had to know, when they started scripting the season, that the show wouldn't last beyond a year. Look at the pacing. The stories are extremely rushed and at times pushed through just to get to the next arc. It's a good show - but they really blew their load in the first season, knowing how much content they wanted to pack into a kamikaze season. Be glad it's off the air.

They had to know, when they started scripting the season, that the show wouldn't last beyond a year. Look at the pacing. The stories are extremely rushed and at times pushed through just to get to the next arc. It's a good show - but they really blew their load in the first season, knowing how much content they wanted to pack into a kamikaze season. Be glad it's off the air.

Um....what did they rush? They went through one football season. What plotline did you want them to slow down with? They had enough stories in there that would've led to a good 2nd season.

For instance, during the course of one season DH (I think that was little Gooding's name) developed a serious drug problem, participated in a murder cover-up, went to rehab, dealt with the near death by shooting of his brother, etc. That's just a lot to swallow as going down during the course of one season.

Someone else mentioned Boston Public, which basically follows the "anything that could happen, will happen - and quickly!" rule of TV. With Playmakers, I would have liked to have seen less of that and a bit more of Sopranos style pacing. But not as lethargic as Sopranos. Regardless, I can understand why they did what they did. Still really enjoyed the show.

****Spoilers for anyone still planning on finding a way to see the show***********

For instance, during the course of one season DH (I think that was little Gooding's name) developed a serious drug problem, participated in a murder cover-up, went to rehab, dealt with the near death by shooting of his brother, etc. That's just a lot to swallow as going down during the course of one season.

Yeah, he went to rehab but he was still the "bad guy" throughout the year. You don't think people can go through that over a stretch of 9-10 weeks? His brohter getting shot was part of the whole rehab angle that his brother was getting him fixed up and turning him away from the bad influences in his life, hence the reason he was shot.