World of Warcraft

Your Mom

online RPGs are not good for any kind of offline life, but i think you once said you play CoH so why don´t give him what you demand for yourself aswell ?

get you kid a permanent babysitter, just to secure one of the 3 persons in your household might not starve becaus of the online games.

online RPGs are not good for any kind of offline life, but i think you once said you play CoH so why don´t give him what you demand for yourself aswell ?

get you kid a permanent babysitter, just to secure one of the 3 persons in your household might not starve becaus of the online games.

Thats actually a good point but CoH sucked so we didnt renew after the free month. If anything I might get it for him and play too like someone suggested.

To be honest I can't see how people can sit down and play the game for, say, 6 hours. I own, play and enjoy the game but the most I've spent on at once is maybe 3. I think the people that get addicted to this game for a long period of time are ones with no lives and/or nothing else in their life that matters. Since your his wife I'd say he does have something important in his life to worry about. I also recall you mentioning being a mother, so if he's a dad too I really can't see this being a problem. At first he might play it a lot but after a week or two it'll be old news.

I think the people that get addicted to this game for a long period of time are ones with no lives and/or nothing else in their life that matters.

I think that may be a little harsh when you don't know them personally or the circumstances. I'm not saying I spend that much time playing a game. Perhaps they just got caught up in the game for one particular mission and stay on until they beat it. Maybe they were bored with nothing really to do at 1:00 and just kept playing, but to sit back and look down on someone because they don't do what you do is also pathetic. Which I am not saying you are this way, but there are people our there with these sorts of opinions... maybe you just have used a bad choice of words, and it came out wrong.

I, myself sometimes sit down and watch movies back-to-back for maybe 10 hours or so, is that really any different?

I think the people that get addicted to this game for a long period of time are ones with no lives and/or nothing else in their life that matters.

I think that may be a little harsh when you don't know them personally or the circumstances. I'm not saying I spend that much time playing a game. Perhaps they just got caught up in the game for one particular mission and stay on until they beat it. Maybe they were bored with nothing really to do at 1:00 and just kept playing, but to sit back and look down on someone because they don't do what you do is also pathetic. Which I am not saying you are this way, but there are people our there with these sorts of opinions... maybe you just have used a bad choice of words, and it came out wrong.

I, myself sometimes sit down and watch movies back-to-back for maybe 10 hours or so, is that really any different?

• Like 1

Guest Bluesman

A lot of it depends on the individual, and not worthless things like their "social life". Everyone I know that plays video games, does so for certain lengths of time. Some can sit there and play for hours and hours, while others can not. For example, one of my cousins can seemingly sit and play video games all day, while the other cannot. After about an hour or two of playing a game, he just can't play any more.

Something i notcied when i decided to try Horde it seems Blizzard became lazy when it came to the area for level 10-20 players i mean look at it like this:

Humans: Westfall

Dwarfs/Gnomes: Loch Modan

Night Elves: Cant remember of the top of my head

So only 2 race's shares the same area but with the Horde its like this

Undead: Silverpine Forest

Ork/Troll/Tauren: The Barrens

so 3 race's share the same area. I no the Barrens is a large area but it still ticked me of a little though.

I cant wait for tha dd on to be released either i mean come on Blood Elves FTW

Something i notcied when i decided to try Horde it seems Blizzard became lazy when it came to the area for level 10-20 players i mean look at it like this:

so 3 race's share the same area. I no the Barrens is a large area but it still ticked me of a little though.

I'm gonna get a little bit preachy here....forgive me...I'm not trying to be a know-it-all or an ass in anyway.

But I feel I would like to share some of my thoughts and experience.

There are some things to take into consideration here. I haven't played WoW, but I have played some of the other 'addictive' online games (specifically a certain MUD).

The first thing is whether or not the person involved has been addicted to anything similiar in the past. Does try to play video games for hours on end (like me :P) or does he do it in moderation? If it's moderation there's a chance he won't become a full-on addict of the game. Sure social life is a factor, the amount of time spent playing other video games is a good indicator though, if he plays them. If not then you'll have to go by something else....watching tv....playing certain games...I dunno.

The other thing to consider is whether or not you actually wield as much control over what he does as you have said. I'm not saying you don't, but I urge you to consider whether or not, if addicted, he might not be willing to spend just a few hours on the game as you would prefer. Without getting too harsh...would he listen to your requests that he not play so much? Would he lie and play after you go to bed? Would he become resentful if you try to make him quit for a while?

The third thing is in regards to both of you playing the game. It's a decent idea, since it will give you something to commonly be interested in, but my only concern is that it will could lead to conflicts when both of you want to use the computer at the same time.

MMORPGs can be extremely addictive (as could MUDs MUSHs etc before them), so you can't let yourself get sucked so much into the gaming world that you begin to see it as a kind of reality. Believe me, it happens easier than you'd think...I was addicted to an online game that much before, and my aunt was so addicted to one, she would neglect her kids and husband...she eventually ran away to live with a man she met on the internet. However, in her particular case, she hadn't been happy with her marriage even -before- she started playing, so it became an outlet to get away from her demanding husband.

The point I'm trying to make is that you have to keep the game in perspective. If you begin to see it as more than a game then it's time to quit. It's also a colossal time-waster (as are all my beloved video games :( ), and a drain on your wallet. You have to make sure you have your priorities straight, and stick to them, because otherwise you could find yourself neglecting important stuff in favor of the game. In my case, I would, and still do, neglect my school work in favor of playing video games. That's caused me to spend about 2 years too long in earning my degree, but I'm rambling a bit...this is about WoW.

It can be fun, and have great entertainment value, don't get me wrong....my main goal is to make sure you're aware of the implications of bringing a potentially addictive game into your home before you do so. I'm not telling you not to get WoW. I'm just saying to keep it in perspective. That's the most important thing. Never forget (or never let him forget) that it's just a game.

If you have a social life to begin with, WoW won't make you a nerdy kid.

I used to play WoW a bit (I'm too poor and my laptop is too crappy to throw down 15 bucks a month for) and it was fun. I played a lot sometimes, but if someone called me and asked to do something I wouldn't say no, I'd go out. Just do what you normally do.

Actually, there's also Redridge Mountains for Humans, but I see about as many Dwarves and Gnomes there as well.

And the Night Elves have two 10-20 areas: Darkshore, which is good for about lvl 10 to 16 or so, and Ashenvale Forest for around 18-22.

As for the Horde....

The Barrens is a fairly huge zone, so 3 races sharing it should be no big deal.

The Horde actually share Ashenvale with the Night Elves; the Eastern part of the zone is Horde territory.

Deviate Fish, which have a random effect when eaten and have any possible ill effects removed when cooked, are only caught in one particular spot.....and its in the Barrens. And the cooking recipe for them is a rare as hell drop......only dropped in the Barrens. Plus, Horde who do Leatherworking have easier access to some of their specialization trainers than Alliance do. (The Alliance Dragonscale trainer is near mobs close to lvl 50, while the same one for Horde is near lvl 35 mobs)

I have a severe dislike for Horde players, because on Whisperwind they're a general pain in the ass. You can pretty much forget winning any low level Battlegrounds matches on that server, because most of the time the Horde will all be at the upper limits of doing the BG and will be super-twinked. (When I did Warsong Gulch BG matches on my Hunter, I kept running into the same damned Troll Rogue who had several +15 Agility enchants on her gear)

Deviate Fish are caught in Lushwater Oasis, which is the one near the entrance to the Wailing Caverns dungeon, if anyone wants to go catch some. Its a fairly safe spot (if you're not on a PvP server), as the only mobs you'll have to deal with are some lvl 14ish Centaurs and Turtles. The fish sell for around 5g per stack at the AH on Whisperwind, but I have someone I sell them to directly, by C.O.D. through the mail, but I rarely bother to even go fish there anymore.

WORD UP, MY NIGHT ELVES!!!

Actually, there's also Redridge Mountains for Humans, but I see about as many Dwarves and Gnomes there as well.

And the Night Elves have two 10-20 areas: Darkshore, which is good for about lvl 10 to 16 or so, and Ashenvale Forest for around 18-22.

As for the Horde....

The Horde actually share Ashenvale with the Night Elves; the Eastern part of the zone is Horde territory.

Deviate Fish, which have a random effect when eaten and have any possible ill effects removed when cooked, are only caught in one particular spot.....and its in the Barrens. And the cooking recipe for them is a rare as hell drop......only dropped in the Barrens. Plus, Horde who do Leatherworking have easier access to some of their specialization trainers than Alliance do. (The Alliance Dragonscale trainer is near mobs close to lvl 50, while the same one for Horde is near lvl 35 mobs)

I have a severe dislike for Horde players, because on Whisperwind they're a general pain in the ass. You can pretty much forget winning any low level Battlegrounds matches on that server, because most of the time the Horde will all be at the upper limits of doing the BG and will be super-twinked. (When I did Warsong Gulch BG matches on my Hunter, I kept running into the same damned Troll Rogue who had several +15 Agility enchants on her gear)

Deviate Fish are caught in Lushwater Oasis, which is the one near the entrance to the Wailing Caverns dungeon, if anyone wants to go catch some. Its a fairly safe spot (if you're not on a PvP server), as the only mobs you'll have to deal with are some lvl 14ish Centaurs and Turtles. The fish sell for around 5g per stack at the AH on Whisperwind, but I have someone I sell them to directly, by C.O.D. through the mail, but I rarely bother to even go fish there anymore.

As for the Horde....