World of Warcraft

Your Mom

I'm watching the dungeons and raids panel, and they're planning on re-doing the LFG system and adding cross-server LFG (for 5 mans only, though they may expand that later). It will work off battlegroups, like battlegrounds do. The 5th anniversary pet everyone will get is

an Onyxia Whelpling, which occasionally tries to deep breath but ends up blowing smoke sometimes.

New Nefarian and Ragnaros fights are being added, not just Onyxia. And Onyxia is just going to be an upgraded version of the existing fight (with her jacked up to lvl 80) with some new loot (including upgraded versions of some weapons from Molten Core; they felt Onyxia didn't drop enough weapons and they don't plan on re-doing MC), but the Nefarian and Ragnaros fights will be brand new battles. (The Ragnaros fight will take place in the plane of fire, so he's at full power)

But the big news is, we're finally going to get to kick the Lich King's ass! (And that will be in a patch, not the expansion)

2009-05-19-C006_carrot_final.jpg

Actually, those are useless past lvl 60.

• Like 1

I'm watching the dungeons and raids panel, and they're planning on re-doing the LFG system and adding cross-server LFG (for 5 mans only, though they may expand that later). It will work off battlegroups, like battlegrounds do. The 5th anniversary pet everyone will get is

an Onyxia Whelpling, which occasionally tries to deep breath but ends up blowing smoke sometimes.

New Nefarian and Ragnaros fights are being added, not just Onyxia. And Onyxia is just going to be an upgraded version of the existing fight (with her jacked up to lvl 80) with some new loot (including upgraded versions of some weapons from Molten Core; they felt Onyxia didn't drop enough weapons and they don't plan on re-doing MC), but the Nefarian and Ragnaros fights will be brand new battles. (The Ragnaros fight will take place in the plane of fire, so he's at full power)

But the big news is, we're finally going to get to kick the Lich King's ass! (And that will be in a patch, not the expansion)

2009-05-19-C006_carrot_final.jpg

Actually, those are useless past lvl 60.

I actually lol'd at that last comment.

And I quite like everything you mentioned there. Any other details on the Lich raid?

Some more things they're doing:

Cross server LFG. This will be based off battlegroups, just like the battlegrounds. Will be limited to 5-mans, but they may expand that in the future. The entire LFG system is being revamped. The same technology they're using to allow this will supposedly also somehow put an end to the "additional instances can't be launched" bs, according to them. They're saying it should (yeah, right) be in patch 3.3.0.

The 5th anniversary pet that everyone who logs in around then gets will be an Onyxia Whelpling.

Guild leveling. Guilds will earn experience from doing different things, and each level of experience earns a guild talent point, and the guild talents affect every member of the guild. Only the top 20 guild earners each day contribute to guild experience, not the entire guild. One of the possible talents rezzes the entire raid after a wipe, and another summons the entire raid. Once a guild reaches lvl 20, the guild experience becomes currency that can buy rewards such as mounts, profession plans, banners, and potions, amongst other things. There will be guild profession plans and heirlooms, and the way it works is if someone learns the profession or has the heirloom and leaves the guild, they lose the plan and heirloom, which reappear in the guild bank.

Guild interface. Will add a guild news feed showing things like bosses killed, items looted,etc. There will be a filter that can be edited. Will also let you check the professions of every member of the guild and what recipes they can make.

Any other details on the Lich raid?

To answer your question...

(Quoted from Blizzard staff, copied off MMO-Champion)

Icecrown Citadel

Icecrown Citadel will have 4 floors.

It will be a 10 and 25 players raid with 12 bosses

Waypoints / Teleporters are being reused here because the instance is really big.

You will fight Sindragosa, the ultimate Frost Wyrm. You will also fight Arthas.

The instance is built around the spire where the Ice Throne sits.

At the 2nd floor, you will have to board an airship with your faction leader and race against the other faction to reach the 3rd floor. You will eventually board their ship with rocket packs and catapults to fight them.

The 3rd floor seems to be the biggest one and will feature 3 wings

The 4th floor is where you will fight Arthas

Someone asked during the Q & A during the Dungeons and Raids panel, and Arthas won't be like usual bosses who just do a bit of dialogue than go die. I'm thinking this probably means that there will be a really cool cutscene.

Edited by GhostMachine

• 1 month later...

3 new 5-mans in 3.3, and we'll be fighting Arthas in one of them.

I assume it'll be similar to Mal'Ganis in CoT: CoS, but it's still amusing me how many people are getting their panties in a bunch over "OMFG FIGHTING ARTHAS IN A 5-MAN WTF BLIZZZZZ". Ideally - or, well, ideally for me - we'd run in with our respective faction rep (Jaina/Sylvanas), Arthas would easily overpower everyone, and then Tirion comes in and buys us time to escape before we're turned into minions of the Lich King - Tirion dying in the process.

Also, Patch 3.3 character copy's up so the PTR for 3.3 may just be right around the corner.

• 4 weeks later...

This year's Hallows End had been bad for me so far, until last night.

Last year I did about 50 to 55 Headless Horseman fights, and during that time I saw the plate helm drop about 4-6 times (I'm thinking it was 5 but could be off by one), the mount twice (won it the second drop), and the sword once (still pissed because a damn Gnome Mage rolled and won!). I got every HH drop except the sword on my Hunter last year, and even have the helmet banked as a trophy

This year I've done about 45 HH fights, mostly on my Hunter. And in that time, I've seen the sword once (my Hunter got it by default because the warrior already had it, the other Hunter didn't want it, and the rest of the group couldn't use swords), the helm once (was on my Hunter and it dropped at the same time as the sword, so bah!), and no mount (which I already have on my Hunter from last year). I want the helm on my Deathknight; I didn't have a plate wearer anywhere near ready to go after it last year, and my DK is 75 so he can at least bank it until he's 80. (Was 74 when the event started; didn't reach 75 until day 3)

I'm thinking of seeing if I can raise my chances by doing the HH in a group on my DK and using his summons, then seeing if I can find another group willing to let me use my Hunter's summon then switch to my DK after that fight, since my Hunter doesn't need anything. Don't see why anyone should object, unless they're also going after the helm, since they won't be losing a summons by me doing that. (I did some HH fights on my DK at 74, but that was in guild groups and I was switching to him after using my Hunter's summons)

Oh, and the HH shade event is bugged/glitched at Goldshire on my server (Whisperwind), which sucks because I parked all my alts who can get xp from the fires and holy symbol quests (except the DK) in the inn there. Fortunately, its working correctly in Kharanos, but I hope Goldshire is fixed when I log back on this afternoon or evening.

A Vote Kick feature will be available in the event a member of a party is not performing to the expectations of the other members.

Abuse incoming!

Also, they're talking about pallies not being able to cast Lay On Hands on themselves anymore which is kinda BS. I understand the whole "overpowered in PVP, IWIN Button, blah blah blah" aspect but what about players like me who rarely ever PVP and usually use LOH as an "Oh Shit!" button when a healer goes down or if a healer's heals are subpar? Guess it's more repair bills, then.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So the Cataclysm closed beta has started - the level cap is 82 at this point, and no one's actually gotten a beta invite yet - but some major shit's been revealed already since the non-disclosure agreement was lifted.

SPOILERS regarding Sylvanas: (kind of major ones too.)

One of the new quests Forsaken do is report to Silverpine Forest to assist in the invasion of Gilneas. While there, your character waits on the arrival of Garrosh Hellscream, the new Warchief - who Sylvanas has asked to come help in the war effort. When Garrosh arrives, Sylvanas reveals that since the defeat of the Lich King the Val'kyr are now in her service. She raises the freshly dead into undeath, horrifying Garrosh's commanders. This puts her at odds with Garrosh, who sees her as now no different than the Lich King.

Apparently the reason she's raising people into undeath is because with the lack of Scourge to convert to Forsaken, their population is dwindling.

Also more SPOILERS, this time regarding a new Alliance ally:

The Grimtotem clan of taurens - who have been at odds with the Horde ever since vanilla release - have allied themselves with the Alliance.

So the Cataclysm closed beta has started - the level cap is 82 at this point, and no one's actually gotten a beta invite yet - but some major shit's been revealed already since the non-disclosure agreement was lifted.

SPOILERS regarding Sylvanas: (kind of major ones too.)

One of the new quests Forsaken do is report to Silverpine Forest to assist in the invasion of Gilneas. While there, your character waits on the arrival of Garrosh Hellscream, the new Warchief - who Sylvanas has asked to come help in the war effort. When Garrosh arrives, Sylvanas reveals that since the defeat of the Lich King the Val'kyr are now in her service. She raises the freshly dead into undeath, horrifying Garrosh's commanders. This puts her at odds with Garrosh, who sees her as now no different than the Lich King.

Apparently the reason she's raising people into undeath is because with the lack of Scourge to convert to Forsaken, their population is dwindling.

Also more SPOILERS, this time regarding a new Alliance ally:

The Grimtotem clan of taurens - who have been at odds with the Horde ever since vanilla release - have allied themselves with the Alliance.

In regards to spoiler # 2:

That makes senese, Magatha's always been trying to undermine Cairne, not to mention those quests in Stonetalon, Thousand Needles and Dustwallow where you slaughter the shit out of them. I'd leave the Horde too :shifty:

All I can say for the Beta though, is...

No more DPSing as Blood :(

I'm just hoping that not having an active account right now will pay off for me, and Blizzard will 'entice' me back by sending me a beta key. It worked with Wrath, so I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed. ^_^

Oh, also. Another spoiler -- which mind you hasn't been confirmed -- but makes me sad. Regarding faction leaders:

Rumour is that in the midst of the chaos with Garrosh becoming the new Warchief, he has Cairne executed for treason and his son Baine takes the reigns as the new Tauren faction leader.

• 3 months later...

Release date is 7th December. I'm quite looking forward to it, now that I've seen some of the changes.

Some general info, for those who haven't been keeping tabs (lifted from WoW Wiki):

Playable races

Goblin

Worgen

New features

Archaeology

Mastery system

Guild advancement

Rated battlegrounds

Flying mounts in Azeroth

Upgraded water effects

New race/class combinations

Main characters

Deathwing

Cho'gall

Malfurion Stormrage

Ragnaros

Garrosh Hellscream

Thrall

Varian Wrynn

Genn Greymane

Queen Azshara

New mob/NPC races

Tol'vir

Volcanoths

Gilgoblins

New locations

Gilneas (1-12, Worgen starting experience)

Kezan & Lost Isles (1-12, Goblin starting experience)

Mount Hyjal (80-82, quests)

Vashj'ir (80-82, KF quests, SE quests, AD quests)

Deepholm (82-83, quests)

Maelstrom (entrance area)

Uldum (83-84, quests)

Twilight Highlands (84-85)

Tol Barad (outdoor PvP)

Dungeon info

Abyssal Maw

Throne of the Tides (80-81)

Blackrock Mountain

Blackrock Caverns (80-81)

Blackwing Descent (10/25 raid)

The Skywall

Vortex Pinnacle (82-84)

Throne of the Four Winds (10/25 raid)

Deepholm

Stonecore (82-84)

Uldum

Lost City of Tol'vir (85)

Halls of Origination (85)

Grim Batol

Grim Batol (85)

Bastion of Twilight (10/25 raid)

The Firelands (10/25 raid)

Caverns of Time

War of the Ancients (10/25 raid)

Old-world dungeons gaining new 5-player Heroic mode

Deadmines

Shadowfang Keep

PvP

Battle for Gilneas

Tol Barad (World PvP)

Twin Peaks

So... who else will be getting it? What are you looking forward to most?

I'm looking forward to playing as the new races, though I'm stumped over what classes to use in combination with them.

Anxiously awaiting it. I think when patch 4.0.1 drops (supposedly, next Tuesday) I'm going to try and renew my sub and fuck around with the class changes while I wait for Cata.

Anxiously awaiting it. I think when patch 4.0.1 drops (supposedly, next Tuesday) I'm going to try and renew my sub and fuck around with the class changes while I wait for Cata.

Are the class change going in 4.0.1? Wasn't sure if they were waiting until release or not.

Class changes - things like Focus for Hunters, Holy Power for Paladins, a lot of the talent overhauls - will come in 4.0.1, much like they came in the patch prior to Wrath of the Lich King.

Then, shortly before Cataclysm's release, the new race/class combinations will be patched in. Or so they say, anyway.

I *may* eventually go back to WoW (quit back in January and am playing Champions Online), but I don't think it'll be due to Cataclysm. (Got sick of raiding)

I don't like the fact they're opening the Hunter class up to Humans and Forsaken, because I suspect it'll lead to bow users being screwed even more. (Right now, you pretty much have to be a hardcore raider to get good bows, while guns are easily as hell to come by, even without Engineered ones)

And the thing with Garrosh taking over the Horde is something I think is a bad idea, because Garrosh is evil AND hot-headed. I'm hoping it eventually leads to either a Horde civil war, Thrall handing Garrosh his head and taking leadership back, or a third faction in the game that's led by Thrall.

Well, I've just looked at the DK trees and I'm a tad confused as I expected blood to have more outright tanky stuff. Hmmm...

I just logged on for the first time since downloading the patch, I'm liking the changes so far. Admittedly, I've done nothing more than play around on test dummies and look at my new talents (Templar's Verdict, Zealotry, etc.) but it seems neat. The earthquakes are a cute little touch too, I WONDER WHAT'S COMING.

After today's maintenance has anyone had any issues with graphics? The launcher said it was applying a non-critical update, so I let it do that and then got on and now the graphics are all really rough and jagged. Dunno why. It wasn't doing this last night.