Looking For

Guest Afroduck

"Check out Jack Johnson.

He's pretty good."

I'm going to go out and actually de-recommend him. He's pretty much a surfer who thinks paint-by-numbers guitar and a soft, quiet voice means you're insightful. The only thing worse than his albums is being dragged by your friends to watch him at an outdoor venue. Ugh...

I'll also say no to Incubus, although I will admit that their work on the Halo 2 Original Soundtrack was both fantastic, and a pleasant surprise. Instrumental, just the way they should be...

Edited by The_Icon

Don't let the name throw you but Smog is great... oh, and check out Townes Van Zandt.

Steve Earle was once quoted as saying something to the effect of, 'Townes Van Zandt is the greatest American songwriter of any generation and I will say that on Bob Dylan's coffee table.

I didn't mean for that to come across as flamebaiting at all, just expressing my opinion. Vertical Horizon are part of that unique American brand of pop-rock that always ends up sounding like the soundtrack to some cancelled sitcom, and lacking in any and all originality or interest.

Guest Sport Boy

not sure if you're still looking for music but

Guster (Some of their songs are upbeat, but they're still pretty mellow. If you can choose 1, choose Come Downstairs and Say Hello)

Rilo Kiley

Toad the Wet Sprocket

Travis

The Freshman by The Verve

The Wallflowers (in particular -> One Headlight or Closer to You)

Anything by Fine by Zox

Island City by Monty

Aqualung

Counting Crows

Elemenopy (their best song is 20 years)

And if you're gonna go for Ben Folds stuff, look for these CD's: Songs for Silverman and The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner (that's with Ben Folds Five). Ben Folds song's not on those CD's I would reccomend: Brick, Cigarrette, Fred Jones Pt. 2, Missing the War, Evaporated, and Selfless cold and compressed.