The biggest video games and the most controversial video games

MDK

Did anyone include Legend of Zelda as one of the biggest, especially Ocarina of Time. There's also Halo, Half-life, Doom, Goldeneye 007.

None really controversial(if at all), but all are big, in terms of sales, great quality, long lasting memories.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't include 'postal' in the list of controversial games because 1)It's a bad game and 2)It's unpopular. All the other controversial games mentioned have been really good games(more or less), and that's why they were popular. Postal, on the other hand, sucked. If you mention Postal you might as well mention all those weird ass hentai games. Yes, they're controversial, but very few people play them, and their impact on the video game culture is non-existant.

Edited by Vector

Myked (or is it Myke? I'm not sure), out of curiosity, when you mention biggest video games, are you referring to games involving gaming icons, or games that set a benchmark/milestone?

Myke is my real name, Myked is my alias :P

I was trying to come up with games that are absolute icons, I have a shortlist of ones that I know for definate, but I wondered if I had forgotten anything. And even if I didnt, hopefully I could get an interesting discussion going...

You guys have definately been helpful, I doth my cap to thee.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6090892/index.html

That should cover everything you need (except recent things in the past two). I read it awhile ago, and it's comprehensive in what I think you'd want. And if you do anything about controversy, Night Trap is right up there with Mortal Kombat.

As for biggest games? Look at any review site (IGN, Gamespot, etc.) and look at their top rated games. Things like Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Donkey Kong to Grand Theft Auto, Halo, The Sims and Pokemon along with plenty of others.

Edited by Vilge Duin

Myked (or is it Myke? I'm not sure), out of curiosity, when you mention biggest video games, are you referring to games involving gaming icons, or games that set a benchmark/milestone?

Myke is my real name, Myked is my alias :P

It's Mykel. :@

World of Warcraft is recent, big and controversial. Use that.

I've pretty much got all my ideas for what photos I am gonna take, but you guys have been awesome help. I might even post the final project on here if anyone is mildly interested :P

For big games i think something like Final Fantasy because it's on every console brand

You sure about that? Final Fantasy 1-6 were Nintendo exclusive, Final Fantasy 7 onwards were Playstation exclusives (in the console world, not counting the PC conversions). The only one that's appeared on a different console, that I'm aware of, was the Gamecube spin-off.

Guest clintcasey

For big games i think something like Final Fantasy because it's on every console brand

You sure about that? Final Fantasy 1-6 were Nintendo exclusive, Final Fantasy 7 onwards were Playstation exclusives (in the console world, not counting the PC conversions). The only one that's appeared on a different console, that I'm aware of, was the Gamecube spin-off.

Like somebody mentioned, Night Trap for the Sega CD was really controversial and sparked congressional hearings and stuff. You might want to make your controversial list of games in chronological order and that way you can show how games have become more controversial as time went on.

I also read somewhere about an old Atari 2600 game about cowboys and stuff and when you beat a level your cowboy would rape a female indian who was tied to a post or something. That might have been the first controversial game ever, but sadly I forgot the name.

BMX XXX with topless female models also caused a stir when it first came out.