Leeds/Reading Festival

fourstarfizzle

It's funny how many people go with the "Indiefest" jibes, when not that many of the bands are Indie, or not as many as people would have you believe.

Who said it's a jibe? I call it indiefest because I don't want to say Reading & Leeds.

But still, Download > Reading. If I had the cash, I'd go along to Reading - mainly to be with my (soontobe) girlfriend, but meh,

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny how many people go with the "Indiefest" jibes, when not that many of the bands are Indie, or not as many as people would have you believe.

Who said it's a jibe? I call it indiefest because I don't want to say Reading & Leeds.

I don't mean it is said in a nasty or malicious way, just that it seems like a condascending swipe at it...and my comment was aimed more at Dan anyway :P

• 2 months later...

If I were to go to the Carling Weekend, I'd go to Leeds. Reading was far too full of university kids and the generic "indie" fan look that just made it unenjoyable for me. I just couldn't enjoy Marilyn Manson surrounded by people who just didn't appreciate or understand his music or persona at all. Plus, I couldn't stand through a whole weekend of bands like Franz Ferdinand, Artic Monkeys etc. I need headbanging, moshes, air guitars, and combinations of any or all of them.

By all accounts, Leeds seems/sounds a hell of a lot better for atmosphere.

• 1 month later...

It depends what your into really upon whether you liked Reading or not this year. Music wise, i really enjoyed the Indie stuff, along with the likes of Dizzee Rascal, The Streets, Lady Soverin and Feeder.

There was even a mosh pit for Lethal Bizzle! That was fun.

Yeah I hate those indie bands like Muse, Flogging Molly, Pearl Jam, Placebo, Slayer, Killswitch Engage, Mastodon, Dizzee Rascal, Peaches, Plan B, Coheed and Cambria, GLC, The Dresden Dolls, Sick of it all, Body Count, Hundred Reasons, Send More Paramedics, Rise Against, Anti-Flag, Against Me!, Capdown, Lady Sovereign, Lethal Bizzle, Sway, 2 Many DJs and Eagles of Death Metal.

Yes, I'm bored at work. Reading/Leeds is probably, along with V, one of the most diverse music festivals in the UK and Ireland.

I'd much rather type indiefest than Reading/Leeds. I never said every band there is indie tripe, though a few are. Most festivals are diverse these days, I have nothing against the festival, I just call it Indiefest, because, well, that's generally what it is. Much like Download is labelled as a metal festival, even though there's a lot more than metal on display at Donnington.

I'd disagree that it is remotely an indie fest. That's not an outburst, that's not flaming. The bands on the mainstage may be indie (what is indie anyway?), but the beauty of Reading is that you could spend 3 days there and never go to the mainstage. Download is far more metal-orientated (it may have , while Reading isn't aligned to any one genre.

Anyway, this could turn into some kind of pissing contest and I'm not arguing which is the better festival because it's all down to taste and preference. But the fact is (and line-ups and ticket sales will reflect this) Reading/Leeds (and V Festival) are far more diverse than the likes of Truck or Download.

Honestly, I'm not sad - I have an hour of work to go and I'm bored stiff.

The main stage is what 'makes' a festival. Whether someone goes to it or not, it's what the festival advertises, it's the bands the festival is made for, obviously. It's possible to go to any festival and not visit the main stage, really.

I know Indiefest is diverse, it's clear. Slayer, MCR, Dizzee, etc. all prove that they have a wide range of genre's performing. However - I'll continue to call it Indiefest because to me - most of the bands are indie - and because calling it that seems to annoy people who enjoy the festival.