Doctor Who

They've ruined the Daleks anyway in the last series. In ye olde days the Daleks were relentless killers (even if they COULDN'T go up stairs) spurred on by their psycho leader.

In new Doctor Who they got heavily camped up, the episode with the 'dalek' wanting to see the light was frankly stupid.

They'd better not ruin the Cybermen who terrified me as a kid.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've ruined the Daleks anyway in the last series. In ye olde days the Daleks were relentless killers (even if they COULDN'T go up stairs) spurred on by their psycho leader.

In new Doctor Who they got heavily camped up, the episode with the 'dalek' wanting to see the light was frankly stupid.

They'd better not ruin the Cybermen who terrified me as a kid.

I couldn't get into the last series at all, especially not the Dalek episode. Even without the Dalek going emo at the end, it was horrible. There was so much wrong with it. The first bit that pissed me off was how long it took the Doctor to realise the similarities between the Daleks killing off entire races, and himself killing off the Daleks. The Dalek flat-out said it to him at least twice before he realised it, and the Doctor just came off looking like far more of a bastard than he should have done. Not to mention that the guy playing him was not Doctor Who material at all.

The bit that irritated me almost as much, though, was the Doctor's shock when the Dalek followed him upstairs...despite the fact that the Daleks developed the "ESCALATE~!" ability years ago. Surely he'd have remembered that?

The only good part of the whole episode was the Cyberman head, and even that looked out of place amongst the dark, grittier new look.

The problem is, if you compare the old Doctor Who to contemporary horror and sci-fi, it is far more camp, and it's fairly unavoidable to have enemies like the Daleks and the Cybermen, which were terrifying then, hold the same kind of power now without coming across as camp. It's irritating, and it pisses on the legacy a little bit, but it's the only way to do it, unfortunately, without looking like even more of a joke than it already is.

I think Tennant could be a good Doctor, though, and I wouldn't mind seeing him stick with the role for some time (especially if the show is set to become something of an institution again, as they'll need to have at least one long-running Doctor, as he's running out of "lives" now). I still think Eddie Izzard would be the perfect choice for the next Doctor, though, although apparently he already turned it down. Conrad Slater of www.spainfulfilms.com is actually my top choice, but that's even more of a pipe dream >_>

I say boo sucks to you old folk, so I do.

The old series was just that, the old series.

Evidently, they're going to have to change certain things about the show in order for it to succeed this time around. As much as it might irk the middle-aged fanboys, the show got cancelled for a reason. It'd gotten stale, it wasn't a ratings-winner, and frankly the scripts were a big pile of bollocks.

So, of course it's gonna be different. Nobody's gonna be 100% happy with what they've done, but for what it is it's a damn good show. It could be a Hell of a lot worse.

You could've been an old-school Battlestar Galactica fan, for instance.

Nothing wrong with old school Battlestar Galactica. Must you rip on EVERYTHING from my childhood?!?!?!?!?!?!

Next you'll be telling me (tv series-wise) A-Team was poor, Knight Rider was rubbish, Land of the Giants was a disaster, Lost in Space a sheer joke, Airwolf was dodgy (well Airwolf WAS dodgy at least).

Airwolf was genius. The heliopter ended up as an air ambulance, and crashed eventually. Sad...

A-Team was brilliant as a kid, but I reckon it'd be worth watching an episode or two now for the performances, rather than the storyline. Murdoch was the man...

Land of the Giants/Lost in Space... Well, yeah. They were trying to be Star Trek without actually being sci-fi, werent they? What was the deal with LotG, anyway? Were they on a ship or something?

I like the new Doctor Who. Dalek was a good episode, imo, and it was cool that they did a thing where the Dalek absorbing Rose turned the Dalek more human. Would have been brilliant if that had made it even more viscious, mind :P

And Queen Victoria + werewolf has a chance of being as good as (wait for it) Snakes... On A Plane!

Bah. I hated it. Why am I such a hater?

The writing was incredibly cliched though Billie Piper DID look gorgeous in that study with the mistletoe doors.

Cause you've spent so many years without the Doc you've built it up in your mind, and you can't just enjoy an episode for what it is. And you suck.

Now that's a mother fucking episode, I was loving it all over the place, and K-9 next week, oh hells yes!

Agreed. It was just a great piece of TV, and while I've only ever seen about 7 episodes of Doctor Who in total (all Christopher Ecclestone and David Tennant), I'm not gonna go out and say it was a brilliant Doctor Who episode, but as a piece of TV, it was great, I loved it. David Tennant rocks...uh, I mean rules, I mean is good. Or great.

Bah. I hated it. Why am I such a hater?

The writing was incredibly cliched though Billie Piper DID look gorgeous in that study with the mistletoe doors.

Cause you've spent so many years without the Doc you've built it up in your mind, and you can't just enjoy an episode for what it is. And you suck.

:(

:crying:

:angry:

:huh:

Yah boo, sucks to you, CSAMH.

Another solid episode, Dr Who is always more fun when dealing with period drama rather than "zOMG, aliens!" IMO. The writing was a little hackneyed, and I'm not quite sure why Rose and the Doctor got banished from England for saving it, but it was a nice, fun episode with some good jokes and references and a fairly decent bit of plotting.

Next week should be very solid, as it features not only K9 and Sarah Jane Smith (one for the old fogies), but the sheeeeeer godliness of Anthony Stuart Head. Plus, soon there will be Cybermen. Yeeeees.

CSAMH - when I mentioned old-school Battlestar, I wasn't suggesting old-school Battlestar was bad. What I meant was, if you're an old-school Who fan and dislike the new series, imagine how awful old-school Battlestar fans feel when looking at the utter shite that is the new version.

Yah boo, sucks to you, CSAMH.

Another solid episode, Dr Who is always more fun when dealing with period drama rather than "zOMG, aliens!" IMO. The writing was a little hackneyed, and I'm not quite sure why Rose and the Doctor got banished from England for saving it, but it was a nice, fun episode with some good jokes and references and a fairly decent bit of plotting.

Next week should be very solid, as it features not only K9 and Sarah Jane Smith (one for the old fogies), but the sheeeeeer godliness of Anthony Stuart Head. Plus, soon there will be Cybermen. Yeeeees.

CSAMH - when I mentioned old-school Battlestar, I wasn't suggesting old-school Battlestar was bad. What I meant was, if you're an old-school Who fan and dislike the new series, imagine how awful old-school Battlestar fans feel when looking at the utter shite that is the new version.

...*murders with a chainsaw*

New Battlestar Gallactica > Old Battlestar Gallactica in every conceivable way...

How anyone can say the new BSG is awful is beyond me. It's improved in every episode, right up until the season 2 finale.

It's easily the best show on TV right now, and is easily one of the most intellegent TV shows I've ever seen. Far surpases what I've seen of the original one.

That was a pretty 'meh' episode, that should have been great. Was saved somewhat by the ending which even then seemed to be the whole point of the show. Good idea, fairly averagely done.

I got more into the second series than I did for the new season of 24, or the second series of Lost. I can't wait for series 3, it's going to be awesome.

We need a Battlestar Gallactica topic. (Opens one...go, now...) (Y)

Demon Headmaster was okay but Archer's Goon was better. Very atmospheric and great kids TV series!

I badmouth Dr Who but I could have sworn a 10 year old wrote last night's Casualty. I haven't watched it for a few years and *shudders* ANYTHING vaguely good about it has been replaced by lazy scripting...

WHERE ARE THE GIRLS FALLING NECK FIRST THROUGH SHARP IRON RAILINGS?

WHERE ARE THE GUYS GETTING ATTACKED BY DOGS, FALLING OFF A ROOF AND BEING SET ON FIRE?

Grrrr