Doctor Who

Just watched Tooth and Claw after missing it last night - what an utterly fantastic episode, RTD's best Dalekless script easily.

Aside from the last five minutes which were a bit dodgy (the heavy-handed Torchwood reference at the end was just painful), everything was near-perfect - everybody played their role fantastically and unlike last week, the episode was brilliantly paced to fit neatly into the 45 minutes. The CGI werewolf looked terrible, but perhaps that was the best they could do given the timeslot.

On another note, who the hell made the trailer for School Reunion? It was awful.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the last five minutes were the best thing about last nights show, which was way too slow to start, had some painful moments with Rose trying to get the Queen to say 'I am no amused', had an iffy resolution and had a generally weak script.

Luckily, the next few weeks aren't Russell T. written, and thus may be good.

All Russell T. haters shall go straight to Hell.

As is written by the Lord, and as it shall be.

New BSG-fanboys, all I can say is 'meh.' I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes of the first series, got incredibly bored and/or irritated, and didn't watch again. I'd imagine the old-school fans would have similar objections to it as CSAMH's grumpy-old-timer Who ranting.

Boomer and Starbuck as girls? Jr. Adama as angsty-teen-type? Cylons as attractive women? No camp man who says "by your command" 3 or 4 times per episode?

Meeeeh to the power of infinity.

RTD's eps in the previous series were amongst the poorest, imo. I'm looking forward to next week - EVIL GILES O'DOOM~!

That last episode was alright, I suppose, but the way they killed the werewolf, and the werewolf's last words, were nonsensical and baffling, and just a bit rubbish. Reminded of the pathetic and ridiculous way the Dalek "killed itself" last series. I quite liked the Torchwood reference although, admittedly, it would have been better with just a touch more subtlety, as could the implication that the current Royal Family are werewolves (did anyone else think that was a slight jab at David Icke?), other than that it was a fairly good episode, although I do agree that the CG werewolf was appalling, but I'll let that slide.

Does anyone else think they're building up Billie to replace the Doctor when he runs out of lives? A friend of mine thinks so, as she's been looking into things more than most assistants, and has played a much more prominent role, but I can't genuinely see her outliving the Doctor's remaining three lives. If that does happen, though, I'm boycotting Doctor Who. And the BBC. Hell, I'm boycotting television.

The next episode looks it could be quite good, Anthony Head as a villain is always good news. The return of K-9 will probably be camp as hell, though, and really knowingly so, so I'm not looking forward to that at all.

David Icke believes that the royal family (and many other people in power around the world) are actually lizard people.

Here is his wiki:

The Green Party distanced itself from him in 1991 after he announced during a television interview that he was "a son of God". He began to dress only in turquoise and maintained that the world was ruled by a secret group called "The Elite", or "Illuminati", which he linked to The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, an anti-Semitic tract. In 1999, he published The Biggest Secret, in which he wrote that the world is controlled by a race of reptilian humanoids, known as the Babylonian Brotherhood, and that many prominent figures are actually "reptilian," including George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Queen Elizabeth II, Henry Kissinger, and Kris Kristofferson. He believes that these reptilians engage in child molestation, blood-drinking, human sacrifice and Satanism.

Icke has further claimed that a small group of Jews, namely the Rothschild family, also a "reptilian bloodline," financed Adolf Hitler and supported the Holocaust. As a result, Icke's speaking tours at one time attracted the interest of British neo-Nazis such as Combat 18, and he continues to face opposition from Jewish and anti-racist groups such as the Anti-Defamation League and the B'nai Brith in Canada. Icke has strongly denied that he is an anti-Semite, stressing that the Rothschilds are reptiles, not Jews.

So.....erm.....Not crazy at all...

Boooooooooo! K9 shoulda stayed dead! What a horrific and pointlessly cheesy finish to otherwise the best of the series so far (not that that's saying much).

Anthony Head wasn't used properly and wasn't at his best and most stuff was still pretty poor apart from the black bloke repeatedly calling himself "The tin dog" which was coolios.

That was fantastic. It felt, certainly more than any other episode in this revival, like old-school Who, not just with Sarah and K9 but with the continual references to the Time Lords, etc. Just a matter of time before they say 'Gallifrey' on-screen!

Liz Sladen was brilliant, and Tennant, Piper and Clark were all admirable, with Tennant in particular giving his best performance yet - still very similar to Tom Baker, particularly in the scene where he was discussing how he has to move on with Rose.

Next week looks a bit sketchy - but then again, I said the same last week, and look what we got...

Next week looks creepy in concept but will probably slip back into Pride and Prejudice style period drama and in-jokes and not fulfill what it could be.

Although it may be a bit like those human-dummys coming to life in Ecclestones first episode but set in the past...

you're shitting me...

Ona different note, after the daleks and the cybermen have been brought back which other "big baddies" could they also bring back (for future series' etc). I mean, apart from trying to create a new uber baddy themselves (let's not even say Slitheen - they sucked so much. The sycorax had promise though...)

I'd love to see them bring back The Master somehow (I know, he 'died' in the McGann film). For me he was the ultimate baddy. An evil timelord.

Edited by Kid Britain

That was a great episode. SO, SO, SO, SO, SO much better than the poor last two shows of these new series (not to bang on, but first non Russell T. written one....). Just an immense show, not just for Sarah-Jane and K-9, but the writing was great, it was humerous when it needed to be, it had plenty of emotion, good acting from everyone (Tennat was his best yet, and Anthony Head was superb)just a great, great episode.

It needed a show like this now, one more like the last two and I might have given up.

Next weeks clip didn't do much for me though, but we'll wait and see.

As for enemies, the Autons. Ok, they came back in 'Rose', but properly bring them back.... Daleks, Cybermen, Autons and The Sycorax..... Nice combo I think.

Edited by timmayy smothers

The Master ran out of lives ages ago anyways, so they'd have to treat him as a 'parasite' creature, which he kind of became.

I like the walking dummies, I liked them back with Jon Pertwee, to a lesser extent with Eccleston though, perhaps this won't be too bad. I'd rather the Doctor visited new planets instead of staying on Earth, which seems to be all he's doing right now.

The Master ran out of lives ages ago anyways, so they'd have to treat him as a 'parasite' creature, which he kind of became.

I like the walking dummies, I liked them back with Jon Pertwee, to a lesser extent with Eccleston though, perhaps this won't be too bad. I'd rather the Doctor visited new planets instead of staying on Earth, which seems to be all he's doing right now.

The Master died in the telemovie. Of course, he's ran out of lives before and died so many times, he could always live on.