Bitch About "Flavor Of The Month" Bands

tristy

I hate people who get hyped up as "the next Bob Dylan" simply for having an acoustic guitar and/or an opinion.

HE'S STILL ALIVE! HE'S STILL WRITING SONGS! HE'S STILL A HUNDRED TIMES BETTER THAN WILLY MASON!

Grr. Even half of his 80's stuff is better than "Oxygen."

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I started a topic against this kinda BS a little while ago.

I just find it funny that a band OBVIOUSLY can't get big without every fan of thiers having "jumped on the bandwagon".

Do I like all of the bands mentioned? No....but they obviously have something to offer the people that do like them.

Some people get way too wound up by what other people like...it's unhealthy.

And is it really a shock that suddenly a lot of people start talking about them....when they release an album? When else do you expect talk of them to arrise?

Edited by HGwannabe

Guest Bluesman

Green Day is another one I wish I would have mentioned. I was intrigued and actually excited to hear the cd, only to be completely underwhelmed. Then everyone brags it up as if it's the defining work of this musical generation, the videos/songs are everywhere, etc. It's not. It's catchy, poppy shit aimed at the same people it's supposed to be commenting on. Once again money is more important than music.

Bedingford sounds like a drunk chick trying to sing karoake at a bar. You can hear it a bit in her video, but the live video is completely unavoidable. Anyone who can actually sing would not have been responsible for that piece of shit.

I started a topic against this kinda BS a little while ago.

I just find it funny that a band OBVIOUSLY can't get big without every fan of thiers having "jumped on the bandwagon".

Do I like all of the bands mentioned? No....but they obviously have something to offer the people that do like them.

Some people get way too wound up by what other people like...it's unhealthy.

And is it really a shock that suddenly a lot of people start talking about them....when they release an album? When else do you expect talk of them to arrise?

I hate Aiden. They're just fucking awful.

I used to hate Trivium purely on the ground that I'd only heard "Gunshot..." and thought that the screaming sounded ridiculous. But then I actually started to check out some of their stuff and can now say that I was totally wrong. They rock something fierce.

I fucking can't stand Trivium. I know people who think they're one of the best bands in the world, and I even know a cunt with a Trivium tattoo, and it's just laughable. If I'd have known how easy it would be to form a band ripping off the more marketable elements of underground music and peddling it to the mainstream with whiny voices and pretty-boy band members, I'd have done it years ago.

Jack Johnson getting big out of nowhere has annoyed me. He's been a dull, annoying cunt for years, why decide to like him now?

The trivium drummer is as ugly as sin. And the others aren't up to much either.

They just happen to be young, and when you're young, you don't look like.. well like lemmy.

That's pretty much what I mean. Most metal musicians aren't known for their looks, so when a young metal band with nice haircuts come along, they look like supermodels next to the rest of them, so it's easy to peddle them to the adolescent pocket-goth girl demographic.

There's so many I could bitch about that I'll just say that a lot of them have been covered. Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, etc.

It's annoying to see people cream their pants over a band that I don't like because it makes me hate the band more.

I can't get away with Panic at the Disco purely because they remind me SO MUCH of Hot Hot Heat.

And whoever dissrespected The Zutons needs a kick in the face...

And I realised my post before seemed quite negative on the Arctic Monkeys...when actually I think they're great. Still not as good as they're made out. But great.

'Flavour of the month' bands don't really piss me off. What annoys me however is people whose "favourite band" changes weekly, to whatever gets the most airplay. It's like this guy I met who said Fall Out Boy was his favourite band. I got a conversation going with him about them and it turns out the only Fall Out Boy songs he knew were Grand Theft Autumn, Dance Dance (Which is shockingly shit IMO) and Sugar, We're Going Down...ultimately embarrased he then pissed off...I laughed. My 'favourite band' hasn't drastically changed for a decade. I do have spells where I go off Jamiroquai, but I'd still probably always say they were my favourite band (Other than a summer or two, I think, ago when I was on a pure Strung Out binge, the likes of which I've never done again...but I listened to Strung Out for about 4 weeks non-stop).