Red Hot Chili Peppers

Benji

I suppose I'm way in the minority when I say this is the best song the Chili Peppers have done since bloodsugarsexmagik. I have grown increasingly tired of the band, I think Californication is the most overrated and overplayed album of the last ten years and I thought By the Way was downright awful. But Dani California is absolutely amazing. I wasn't expecting much, but I was told last week that we were premiering the song during my show, so I was at least intrigued to give it a listen. I was absolutely floored. I was glad that I talked going into the song, rather than out of it because I was damn near speechless after listening to it. I know it sounds overdramatic, but I'm dead serious. Awesome fucking song.

I too think that Dani California is an amazing song and hope Stadium Arcadium has 27 more belters like that on their album. I doubt it though. Personally I think RHCP are going to regret releasing so much material at once instead of going for their trilogy over the space of two years option as Guns and Roses proved that there is a such thing as having too much music.

This is definitely one song here they can be very proud of though. I notice how the music video (being the first single out of the new album) is way less epic and flashy than Californication's computer game or By The Way's crazy taxi guy and as a result - it adds instead of takes away from the song.

It'll be interesting to see how good the new album is and if it's better than the great "By The Way" album.

I think RHCP are going to regret releasing so much material at once instead of going for their trilogy over the space of two years option as Guns and Roses proved that there is a such thing as having too much music.

Yeah, but GnR released Use Your Illusion as two separate albums, and had to deal with Axl's insanity. Despite both of those things UYI was a massive success. The Chili Peppers are releasing a standard double album, which generally always proves to be a solid success for already established bands. Look at Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, tons of songs on that album, but it solidified the Smashing Pumpkins as one of the greatest bands of all time.

I've only heard it once, this morning, but it brought me a lot of hope for SA. It sounds a lot thicker, something that they occasionally seem to be lacking, and the solo at the end is rather nice. It is a very good song. They've done better, but God knows they've done a lot worse too - By The Way (the song) says Hello.

Eh, I guess I'm in the minority, but I just can't get into this song at all.

If that's the catchiest thing they have to offer from a 30 song album, then color me worried. It's RHCP totally on auto-pilot:

-Funky, bass driven verse: Check

-Guitar heavy, anthematic chorus: Check.

-Lyrics about California: Check.

The verse is boring, the chorus is totally forgettable, and the lyrics are just blah.

I had high hopes for this album, but I get the same feeling off of Dani California as I did the first time I heard By The Way, which is - "this is it?"

Sidenote: I just realized Californication was released 7 years ago. Fucking A, time flies.

Edited by Bob Roberts

It didn't blow me away or anything, but I blame Beatnik because he had the audacity to send me a shitty radio rip of the song. :angry:

• 3 months later...

Is it just me who has discovered that the Mars album is very much a 'grower'? The Jupiter album seems to be full of songs that can instantly get you hooked in, whereas Mars took a while for me to realise how good some of the songs are, I'd go as far to say that Mars has overtaken it as my preferred disc at this point.

Is it just me who has discovered that the Mars album is very much a 'grower'? The Jupiter album seems to be full of songs that can instantly get you hooked in, whereas Mars took a while for me to realise how good some of the songs are, I'd go as far to say that Mars has overtaken it as my preferred disc at this point.

I'm with Benji, at first I though that Jupiter was the best one, but after really listening to it Mars has become the better one to me. I was just saying this to a few friends when we were listening to Jupiter I said put in Mars since its better which struck up a discussion on it.

And Danni California is fucking awful. The song is boring and totally uninspired. It's like that one from By The Way (With the guy trying to get on the stage or some shit on the video) though it lacks a chilled out feel, making it even worse.

Edited by BillyGunnPinchedMyBum