Question about Zombie

What exactly is the point of this thread? I never understood why America went apeshit over Elvis, but people did.

People have this thing called personal tastes, which means we can all like different things. Has the internet degenerated into such a home of negativity that people can spark conversations out of the blue simply asking why people enjoy something? It would be one thing if this were a thread about Zombie's new album or tour with Lacuna Coil and you brought up the question, but instead you create an entirely new thread simply to ask a question for which there are hundreds of answers?

I guess it's just a preference thing...honestly, I hear his voice, and I wonder "How did this man get into the music business?"

Honestly, the instruments are good enough...I just can't stand his voice.

EDIT: Logically, Zero, I started a conversation. No need to go off on me if I simply want to ask a question. I mean, I've heard maybe three Zombie songs, so maybe I'm just hearing the shit end. It was a legitimate question.

Edited by theonemankliq

EDIT: Logically, Zero, I started a conversation. No need to go off on me if I simply want to ask a question. I mean, I've heard maybe three Zombie songs, so maybe I'm just hearing the shit end. It was a legitimate question.

And it was a horrible way to start one. "This sucks, why do you like it?" is the staple of every horrible message board on the internet, whether it be about movies, music, video games, or TV. Not to mention the fact, it's a horribly labeled topic, which leads people to think you actually have a question about Rob Zombie when you're just simply taking the time to say, "this guy sucks." And it's even more ridiculous that you now claim to have based your entire opinion on an artist who has been around for almost two decades, from three songs.

If you wanted to make it a conversation and not just an excuse to bash Zombie, maybe you should have lengthened your original post to something like this: I always hear about how great Rob Zombie is, but I just don't see the appeal. I've only heard More Human than Human, Dragula, and Never Gonna Stop (I'm guessing here), so what are some other songs I should check out to maybe change my opinion?

Perhaps I went off on you a bit, I'm just so sick of all the rampant negativity that plagues message boards these days. I find it incredibly humorous that the most recent person to really come out and say something about it was in fact, Rob Zombie:

from blabbermouth:

J. Bennett of Decibel magazine (web site) recently conducted an interview with Rob Zombie. An excerpt from the chat follows:

Decibel: Have you ever gone onto a message board to see what people are saying about you?

Rob Zombie: "I have a couple of times, but that's bad news. I'm just baffled by how things function these days - not because I don't understand it, but because when I was a kid, everything was about why you liked something. You were obsessed with it, and you couldn't wait to get more. Now there's like this subculture of haters - people who wanna complain about everything and tell you why it's wrong. It's just such a bummer. And it seems like the more someone's a fan of something, the more they act like that. I don't get it. If you don't like something, why would you ever waste two seconds talking about it?"

Decibel: A lot of it has to do with the fact that people have total anonymity online.

Rob Zombie: "Right - that's the whole thing. You can be totally spineless. It always cracks me up when you see someone complaining on a message board all the time, and you get a mental picture of that person. And then they post a picture of themselves and you're like, 'This is the guy telling everybody how it should be done?'"

Decibel: And of course they live at home with their mom.

Rob Zombie: "Literally. All the Internet stuff is the same silly discussions kids have been having for years, but the only difference is that now it's posted for the whole world to see. When I think back to the dopey conversations I had with my friends when I was 14, I thank god no one could read them on the Internet. What the fuck did we know about anything? [Laughs] It's like, if mom's still calling you for dinner, please don't comment on anything."

Decibel's entire interview with Rob Zombie can be found in the magazine's May 2006 issue.

Edited by Zero

To add a little bit of something to this topic:

I prefer Rob Zombie to White Zombie...what do others think? I dunno why, but was never that into WZ.

Agreed, although I was into White Zombie. WZ is good times, don't get me wrong, but when Rob started releasing solo albums, I just felt he brought something new to the table that no one else was doing, and still aren't. Zombie is an incredibly intriguing artist because he's always doing something that is just outside the mainstream, but still accessible enough to be on the radio and sell albums. Even 'Foxy Foxy,' which has a more poppy sound, is entirely different than anything that can be called mainstream right now. Add that to the simple fact that Rob's music is just flat-out fun to listen to, even if it's fist-pumping metal, you have a damn good time. I think that's because he understands how to do theatrics, which most musicians have forgotten. One of the things I've always loved about Rob's music is the theatrics aren't lost on the album, his music really does paint a picture, which few bands can do. Look at KISS, an awesome band, one of my all-time favorites, but their studio albums blow because they're much better live and they can't capture that sound without being on stage.

Yeah, I think you got it in one as to what I like about Rob Zombie's work. Just outside being commercial, but in a way totally accesible.

In a way, I'd argue he writes good "pop" songs, in regards to how hooky and catchy his songs are generally.

Edited by HGwannabe

Yeah, I think you got it in one as to what I like about Rob Zombie's work. Just outside being commercial, but in a way totally accesible.

In a way, I'd argue he writes good "pop" songs, in regards to how hooky and catchy his songs are generally.

That's what I find so funny about people claiming he "sold out" with 'Foxy Foxy.' Zombie has always written catchy, poppy songs as a solo artist. Granted, they're the darkest pop songs you'll ever hear, but I always look at it the way Trent Reznor describes "Closer." Zombie's songs almost always have catchy, fun hooks to them that you can tap your foot to, even if he is singing about Living Dead Girls.

Guest Bluesman

Personally I've always liked White Zombie quite a bit more. I do like some of his solo work, I just don't enjoy it as much as the WZ stuff. It seems to be heavier than his solo work, but I'm not terribly familiar with the solo stuff so I can't say for sure.

I'm with Bluesman here. I prefer the White Zombie era as opposed to the Rob Zombie solo era. It's not a matter of the solo stuff being bad, it's actually quite catchy as Zero pointed out, it's just not my cup of tea. It never grabbed me the way White Zombie did, and the music just doesn't have that same intensity for me. White Zombie is probably one of my all-time favorite metal bands, so I am slightly biased toward the heavier shit.

As a side note, I always thought Rob Zombie was a real cool guy. He comes across as very cool in his interviews, and seems like a dude you could bullshit with while enjoying a few beers. I always thought of him as very down to earth and well spoken.