Advent Children

Guest clintcasey

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wikipedia is my friend:

Tseng (ツォン Tson): The stern but polite and calm leader of the Turks. He has known Aerith since she was a child and harbors romantic feelings for her. He was grievously wounded after a confrontation with Sephiroth in the Temple of the Ancients. He returns in Advent Children with the other Turks.

Spoilers concerning what Tseng and Elena do in AC:

It is implied early on in the film that they've been killed, with Kadaj tossing their blood stained ID cards at Rufus' feet. However this is apparently not the case as they make their return later on to catch a falling Rufus in a net, and all four Turk members end the film alive and well.

The soundtrack is one of the awesomest soundtracks Square-Enix has made.

The movie, is one of the best movies probably in the past year I've seen. Seriously, most people who don't like the plot simply don't understand the plot. Not to say Go Go doesn't understand it, but most people I've met just acted like they knew what was going on, and said it was stupid, but when being actually asked about the plot, they didn't know wth was going on. I suppose that's the weakness of the movie, is that some things aren't understood, however, I found the movie to be great. The storyline is wonderful for a short film, and honestly they couldn't of done much more with the alotted time. The fights are great, the turks are wonderful, I think some people expect too much, would you rather it have been much like a Harry Potter book having 700 pages and ending up in the span of 2 hours on film? No, keep it simple(they should of made it simpler, but still to people who actually paid attention and had an IQ over 100 understood it). I agree, they made Sephiroth look weak, but oh well, his returning was one of the most badass scenes ever.

I thought they made Sephy and him out to be equals personally, not so horrible.. :: Shrugs ::

It's true. I did not understand the plot at points. I focused entirely on the movie and I did not understand the plot half of the time and I eventually gave up on it.

I would submit that if someone watches a movie and pays complete attention to it and still can't cut through the irritating vagueness, then it is most likely the fault of the movie, not the viewer.

Having seen it two days ago, I'll say that I quite liked it. I must admit there was some mild vagueness to it all at times, but nothing that de-tracted too much from it for me.

And as for Sephiroth not doing jack-shit to Cloud, he did get him down and stabbed him in the shoulder blade, and then Cloud kinda kicked into top gear and started to batter him back. I think it did a good job of showing them as equals, which arguably they are, as far as I always believed.

Okay, on the "equals" thing, that's all well and good, but there is no ebb and flow to the fight. You can portray two characters as equals whilst still giving one the advantage for a while and then shifting the advantage to the other.

What they did with Cloud and Sephiroth outside of one or two bits, maybe, was have two people bounce off eachother for a few minutes whilst One Winged Angel played in the background to no real effect. Every other fight scene in the movie except for perhaps the opening motorcycle fight was far, far cooler (especially Tifa vs. Creepy Bishie #3 and the bit in Reno and Rude vs. Creepy Bishies #2 and #3 where the Turks finally had a brief edge).

I've not seen it yet, I'll be grabbing the DVD with much love when it comes out, and for the most part I've kept myself free of spoilers because I'm just like that with FF.

Fuck, I don't even know what the characters in the yet-to-be-released FFXII are called. (Randomly on/off-topic - when is that coming out?!)

That said, I'm looking forward to it. I always found the plot of FVII a little hard to digest first time around, although I was only 12, so that might've been it. Either way, I expect I'll have to watch it twice to get it, but it'll be the usual Square-Enix fare where it really doesn't make sense until about halfway through.

Vincent's in it, which is ace, and apparently he's got a big role in the movie whereas in the game he kinda had nothing much to do, which made me a sad panda. He's the r0xx0rz.

Hoping to see Reeve/Cait Sith, as I actually liked him, and I'll agree with stok that Reno and Rude do in fact own your soul.

And yours.

The reason Vincent didn't do much in the game is because he was an optional character though.

Anyway, I think making Cloud and Sephiroth equals is a mistake. After all, wasn't the point that Seph was vastly more powerful than Cloud due to his sort of superhuman abilities?

The reason Vincent didn't do much in the game is because he was an optional character though.

Anyway, I think making Cloud and Sephiroth equals is a mistake. After all, wasn't the point that Seph was vastly more powerful than Cloud due to his sort of superhuman abilities?

Sure, but then again, Cloud beats Sephiroth one-on-one at the end of the game. Or... something. Gah, it's been too long since I beat FFVII.

Guest clintcasey

Actualy the reason why Sephiroth was so powerfull was because his body had become fused with a good portion of the lifestream. Threwout the whole game you never actualy saw Sephiroth for the first time until then end of disc one when you see Cloud put his hand threw the Crystal that Sephiroth was encassed in to hand him the Meteor Matera. Afterwards the crystal structure fell into the life stream and was never seen again once the Weapons woke up.

The truth is the real Sephiroth's body had been in a comatose state since he jumped into the depth of Mako reactor at Nembleheim (or however you spell that). The one and only time that Cloud and Sephiroth Physically fought with one another was at the reactor. Afterwards Sephiroth's body washed around in the mako until eventualy went the area of the greatest mako concentration, the Northern Crator. At which point the mako around his body crystalized into Matera. His body was stuck in there, and will probably always be stuck in there, but since the Matera sheilds him from begin able to truely rejoin the life stream completly allowing him to keep spreading his will accross the planet.

Every time up until that point everytime you saw Sephiroth it wasn't actualy him but an extention of his will being inacted threw one of the Sephiroth clones. Even though they looked like Sephiroth and could attack like Sephiroth they where never the real thing although he could turn them into his likeness. This includes the time Sephiroth kills Aries.

Even during the 2nd and 3rd stages of the final boss battle your not actualy fighting Sephiroth but physical projections of his will. During the Final phase when Cloud Battle Sephiroth alone after going threw that tunnel its never made clear weither or not that battle physically takes place. Infact my take on it is (and this is purely my interpretation) that battle takes place in Cloud's mind and whats actualy happening is Sephiroth is trying to extend his will to take controll of Cloud in one last ditch effort to try to win and the final battle itself is actualy Cloud destroying Sephiroth's hold him. Once that happened Sephiroth no longer had a strong enough connection to the world to keep Holy from activating which was why they went to fight Sephiroth in the first place.

MOVIE SPOILER avoid this text if you don't want ot know! It is a theory of mine though.

During the movie it is revealed that the only people who are infected with Geostigma are people who had Jenova's cells in them, this includes Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo. However the three of them cannot simply be Sephiroth clones because all the Sephiroth clones where destroyed, by Sephiroth no less. They must be incomplete clones which only leaves 2 possibilities as to their origins. Either they are old failures in the same since as Cloud was, or they are all new incomplete clones that don't possess a high enough concentration of Jenova's cells in order for Sephiroth to Physically manifest himself threw them. This also means that the Children afflicted with Geostigma are also incomplete clones and Rufus has become one as well since his case was even more advanced than Clouds. Therefore Sephiroth was being completly honest at the end when he said that Cloud would never be rid of him. If you watch closely one person did not get cured at the end of the movie, Rufus. If they ever chose to make another sequal guess whose probably going to be next, and he already has a big enough chunk of Jenova to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or did the movie seem like a collaberation of FMV sequences from a game? I liked it as much as the next guy, but I couldn't help, but feel like I had just fired up the PS2. The story was less driven then expected (and I didn't expect much), but the action was spot on! Good rental, won't be buying it anytime soon.

EDIT: Oh yeah! The animation and soundtrack were both extraordinary! Saved alot of the film for me.

Edited by alternateyou