Fred Durst makes a funny

Pepsi

I've never understood this, and I'm not the biggest music afficionado, but since when is it bad to want to make money? I know you're saying they changed their sound, and it might turn loyal fans off a bit, but I know for a fact people would be calling them stale if they didn't.

I liked CSATHFW, and apart from Results May Vary, it's the only album I've heard from them. Starfish was a free copied CD from a friend, so it's no big loss even if it did suck. They're hardly the best band in the world, but they're not terribly offensive.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never understood this, and I'm not the biggest music afficionado, but since when is it bad to want to make money? I know you're saying they changed their sound, and it might turn loyal fans off a bit, but I know for a fact people would be calling them stale if they didn't.

I liked CSATHFW, and apart from Results May Vary, it's the only album I've heard from them. Starfish was a free copied CD from a friend, so it's no big loss even if it did suck. They're hardly the best band in the world, but they're not terribly offensive.

Edited by Livid

I'm a huge Limp Bizkit fan, but I find it hilarious how lyrics that refer to TiVo, keeping on rollin', Freddy Krueger and "if I say fuck two more times, that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme" is considered as art by Fred Durst. Durst should shut the fuck up, because the band have been carrying him musically from day one. A lot of the time, and it's even been revealed that they record this way anyway, is that the music carries the song and Durst's singing is merely an afterthought. Take songs like "Nobody Like You", "Leech", "It'll Be Okay" and even "The Story", remove Fred Durst's singing and the song hasn't lost anything good at all.

With the film deals, the next "who has Fred claimed to have slept with" and talking general bullshit that comes with Durst - I can see why Borland is now a part of Black Light Burns. Personally I wouldn't hang around for Durst to get bored and want to make music again, why should Wes?

Edited by God-Awful

Yeah, the albums aren't going to sound exactly the same, but to me it was always the same basic idea.

If he really was selling out, he'd have gone through his metalcore stage by now :shifty:

I'm sorry but he see's that Staind has become a big band with they're ballad like songs and suddenly he comes out with that Rearranged song. Yeah he doesn't change his sound. :shifty:

One song?

And arguably, that was the best song on that album.

I personally thought No Sex was the best song on Significant Other..though Rearranged was a good song too

I'm a little late here, but Durst needs to shut up. You're right when you say LB is 2001, because so many people have realized that they sucked. Durst is a good behind the scenes guy, as he's helped both Staind and Taproot become mainstays in the popular rock charts, but he's a bad musician and has sold out, simply because he changed his sound, like Beatnik said, for the pure reason to sell more albums and make more money.

With Beatnik's comment about them changing thier sounds, he mentioned that they moved mostly away from the Rap-Rock that they did already for Results May Vary BUT it was still pretty prevalent. Maybe not as much as in older albums, but it was there obvious enough to me.

And if Fred Durst jumped on the bandwagon with a political album, then go out and hate on bands like A Perfect Circle and Green Day...hell, any bands who made political albums in the past couple of years, as I'm sure there was a bandwagon being jumped on in some way, shape or form.Whether the music changed, I don't know, but you can't complain about him doing exactly like others do (who "get away with it", so to speak) just because it has, and always will be cool to hate Fred Durst.

And I'd argue that the bolded line is a fallacy shown up even just by this thread, and the amount of people who like/liked thier first 3 albums. Admittedly, the next two were a little......hmm...

I'd love it to be like that Kaney, but thats where you realise that most bands are damned if they do, damned if they don't with things like this, as fans are never seemingly happy unless things are done thier way, sad as that may be. You'll always alienate some of your fan base record to record, it would seem.

Edited by rvdwannabe

There's nothing wrong with making money, IMO, but if you change your sound constantly just do said thing, then that's a bad thing. It's just like when a band signs with a big record label and they want them to change their sound. Why? The sound obviously worked enough for them to sign them to the label, so why should they be forced to change their sound just to sell more records so the executives get more money?

With Beatnik's comment about them changing thier sounds, he mentioned that they moved mostly away from the Rap-Rock that they did already for Results May Vary BUT it was still pretty prevalent. Maybe not as much as in older albums, but it was there obvious enough to me.

Perhaps the reason RMV doesn't really sound like Limp Bizkit is that Mike Smith from Snot plays guitar on it. Musically, the album is class - the lyrics just really let it down, as with most post-Significant Other Limp Bizkit. I mean take a song like Head for the Barricade - it just sounds amazing, and Fred Durst pretty much ruins it.

fineintent has it spot on. The reason I still like them is that, musically, they still rock amazing amounts of class. Musically, it's so damn polished. Lyrically however, Mr. Durst has gone quite Vanilla Ice on us all. If he could get the lyrics anywhere near the first Bizkit LP, then they'd get more respect.

Or maybe I'm just jealous :shifty:

I, personally, just find it funny that Fred Durst, who has no musical talent in terms of a vocalist, is bashing the only member in the band that has talent in Borland, IMO. Black Light Burns is better than anything Limp Bizkit's ever done IMO and it also helps that the lineup that Borland's put together for the band is amazing. I'm looking forward to debut album "Cruel Melody" when it comes out.

I, personally, just find it funny that Fred Durst, who has no musical talent in terms of a vocalist, is bashing the only member in the band that has talent in Borland, IMO. Black Light Burns is better than anything Limp Bizkit's ever done IMO and it also helps that the lineup that Borland's put together for the band is amazing. I'm looking forward to debut album "Cruel Melody" when it comes out.

I, personally, find it funny that Wes Borland's side projects, irrelevant of how talented or not he may be, have been poor in the past. I'll give BLB a try, but on past record, I don't hold out much hope.

EDIT: Checking out that MySpace link....meh, they are alright. Nothing mindblowing.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Fred Durst has always been a pretentious goit. Even I, as (once) a huge limp bizkit fan knows that. It hasn't stopped me liking their music though.

3$ bill was great, as was Significant Other. Choc Starfish was good at the time but a lot of the stuff got played to death on main-stream radio so that kinda tarnished it for me. New Old Songs would've been better if My Way wasn't featured 800 times, and I for one liked RMV a lot. I also liked Just Drop Dead, a great LB song that was never released.

I've pretty much gone off limp bizkit now. Way before their latest album came out. I haven't even bothered picking that up. Oh, and by the way, I prefer limp bizkit's version of George Michaels' Faith, The Who's Behind Blue Eyes AND Metallica's Sanitarium. So there.