Star Trek 11 Announced

DFF

A TOS prequel will suck ass. They should just do a damn movie featuring a cast made up of characters from various shows.

There are a series of novels out now called Star Trek Titan where Riker has his own ship. Go with that, but give him people from various series as his crew or have them be visiting the ship (or have the ship be docked at DS9) when the movie starts.

I'd go with:

Riker

Troi

Worf

Chief O'Brien

Ezri Dax

Holodoc

Harry Kim

Seven of Nine (hopefully using her real name, Anneka whatever (Hansen, I think?), by now)

And have Picard, Data, Kira, Quark, and a few others make cameo appearances.

(Just no Borg, Q or Wesley Crusher, PLEASE!!!)

Edited by GhostMachine

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats with the Borg hate?

And agreed with O'Brien

Favourite Character? Data fairly easily. Then Picard. Those two stand-out. From a DS9 point, of course Garak and O'Brien were awesome.

Least favourite, aside from Wesley Crusher, Troi was annoying as hell at times. Didn't dislike her per-se, but she did annoy me a fair bit.

Troi was more pointless than hate-worthy. I second the "What's with the borg hate".

I just got bored of the Borg. They just used to keep bringing them back again and again - and then they gave them a Queen for chrissake, which effectively eliminated the main unique quality of the Borg, being a faceless collective. Especially with the whole 'Janeway verses the Borg Queen' feud in the latter stages of Voyager. The Borg reduced to an Alpha-Female rivalry?

Plus after a while they almost became a joke, because people ended up routinely beaming over onto a Cube and strutting about like they owned the place, because the Borg didn't care. Then they cripple a major system or something, oh no, the Borg catch on. A couple of phaser shots (the Borg's adaptive shielding AGAIN neutralised by rotating phaser frequencies) and they beam out without a scratch. Whoopdi-fucking-doo.

And Birds of Prey remain one of the best Star Trek ships. Contested only by the Defiant, the Dominion's lovely purple ships, and also some of the Breen ships that looked kind of badass.

Edited by stokeriño

If we're talking aesthetics, I'm all about the Bajoran Assault Ship. Look it up on ditl.org. It's beauuuuutiful. Unfortunately it was just one of those ships you see in the background and stuff. It didn't really play a major part.

If we're talking about just freaking badass, the Klingon Vor'cha and K'pak class ships rock.

Negh'var!

The Dominion Super Cruiser and Assault ships are sleek too.

Among fedos, the Defiant and the Akira are suitably sleek.

OK You've all appealed to my 'inner geek.'

On the movie front: Star Trek: Academy? Hell no. Shatner and Nimoy are irrevocably associated with the roles, having younger actors play them would suck! Anyway i was under the impression Kirk and Spock wern't at the Academy together, and that he only met him (and Bones) when he became Captain of the Enterprise (though there may not be much connonical evidence for this).

If they are going to do a movie...make it in the far future of the Trek universe. Don't have ANY of the old crews. Give 'The Franchise' a much needed re-boot. Long-time fans would come out of curiosity, and newer fans, who might just avoid anything 'Star Trek' might be tempted by the movie having no 'baggage' or backstory.

As for favourite Series:

1: TOS/Animated Series/First 6 movies

2: TNG

3: DS9

4: Enterprise

5: Voyager

The Origional Trek just has to be the best. I only got to see it on Sky re-runs (but did get to see 5 eps a week). It told some good stories, had some good Sci-fi concepts, and was basically a story about three friends, Kirk, Spock and McCoy. These were the characters who pushed everything forward, and their dynamic was what made it accessible, as everyone could relate to their friendship.

The Animated Series which followed TOS carried on the story, including some follow up episodes and recurring characters from the first three seasons (with the origional actors as voice artists no less!). There were also some quality sci-fi stories in there too. I particularly remember an ep entitled 'The Slaver Weapon' featuring Spock and Sulu, and based on a story premise by Issac Asimov himself!

TNG and DS9 were good too. TNG was more of a follow-up to TOS, with less of a story arc, and more stand-alone episodes. DS9 had the ongoing story, and character development in spades, but TNG just edges it for me for keeping the origional premise of 'seek out new worlds...' (Though I remember 1 really cool DS9 novel I read all about a high-stakes poker game at Quarks, that was pretty cool.)

Voyager just pissed me off. It was CRAP IMO! The final straw was when a friend and I sat through the start of an ep and predicted exactly what was going to happen. Down to certain characters action and certain peices of dialogue (I know you're all thinking 'nerd!!!' but it had got that formulaic and predictable).

Now for character.

All time Fave: Doctor Leonard H McCoy. He was always the heart of the show (TOS anyway). Kirk would be making the 'big decisions' Spock would look at things analitically and 'Bones' would tell them that they were both wrong ... dammit!!!! He'd be good for comedy moments too, but seemed to be the most 'human' or should that be 'humane' character. The scenes at Yosemite National park in ST:V are some of my faves with McCoy, talking to himself as he watches Kirk nearly kill himself climbing the mountain.

Least Fave: Hmmm. Wesley Crusher, Harry Kim, Neelix, Kes, Seven of Nine, Janeway, Tuvok, Dr Pulaski, TOO MANY TO CHOOSE JUST 1.

For ships I think the best have to be:

1: Refitted Enterprise (Movie version, origional always looked too much like an Airfix kit to mee, watching in the 90's)

2: Klingon Bird-of-Prey. Just loved the moveable wings and the bird-like sihloette.

3: Borg Cube. TERROR, Just TERROR (until Voyager, a smaller, less powerful ship than the Galaxy-Class Enterprise don't forget, managed to defeat them on a near weekly basis).

Edited by marksbros6

Come on. The USS Reliant, and that whole class of ships, are obviously the coolest ships in the Star Trek universe. Heck, even Kelsey Grammer is the captain of one of those bitches!

My favorite episode in the whole Star Trek universe, out of all the series and all the movies even (just slightly beating Wrath Of Kahn) has to be, from the Original Series, BALANCE OF TERROR. Introducing the Romulans, its a perfect allegory for the Vietnam War. Lobbing shells at an unseen enemy in territory far from home, arguing about crossing the "Neutral Border" as the enemy retreats to safety (which could represent the Vietcong forces running into Cambodia and Laos). Plus, the interaction between Kirk and the Romulan Commander, despite the fact that they only talk at the end of the episode, is amazing. Seeing how they both think nearly alike, despite there differences.

Edited by desiredtoe

Anyone remember the refitted Enterprise D in the final series finale of TNG? That ship looked badass. The cool extra phasers and the third warp nacelle, it just all looked awesome.

Oh, and that Bajoran Assualt Ship does look awesome.

EDIT: And there is something quite sexy about the Dauntless class ship. Either that or it looks terrible, I can't decide.

Edited by TMM

As one of the biggest Trekkies in the world I am for once not excited about a movie. The real problem is what people seem willing to do with Star Trek these days. The focus of the writers, around the end of TNG, seemed to shift from the vision of life in space and using intellect and peaceful means to solve conflict to more action. This became especially apparent by the time Enterprise rolled around. I read somewhere there is some hope to make this movie grittier than other Trek movies. Sure that might bring in some of the SciFi Channel crowd, but it will almost certainly turn off most people who like Star Trek because it is something different than every other SciFi series out there.

That said, young Shatner and Spock is a horrible idea since no amount of makeup in the world could do the job and nobody besides Shatner and Nimoy can be Kirk and Spock.

And since we were making lists:

1) TNG

2) TOS

3) DS9

4) VOY

5) TAS

6) ENT

And movies:

1) II

2) IV / First Contact (Impossible to decide)

4) VI

5) III

6) Nemesis

7) Generations

8) Insurrection

9) The Motion Picture

10) V

Edited by damshow

Ugh there's no way Insurrection should be ahead of Nemesis. I hated Insurrection with a freaking passion.

I fixed it because I'm a retard who put them in opposite places. The bottom three sucked miserably. Thanks for pointing that out sort of because I would've gone unaware of my tragic error.

I quite like Insurrection. Nemesis was ok, but had a tired feel to it, imo. It does redeem itself, though, with the awesomeness of data's death. (Awesome, in a sad way).

As far as the order of the movies, IMO (ironicaly, Star Trek II music just started on my iTunes <_<)

1) II/III/IV (It's all one big, long movie :shifty:)

2) First Contact

3) VI

4) Generations

5) Nemisis

6) Insurrection

7) The Motion Picture

8) V

The big problem with V was a lot of shit that they meant to have in it got cut. There were budget restraints and tiem restraints. While shots usually took a couple hours to set up, on V they had to do it in a few minutes. That and the severly cut effects budge. Rumor had it that Sean Connery was in line to play Sybock but pulled out, hence the joke "Sha-Ka-Ree" (Sean Connery)

Guest Scamman

As far as the order of the movies, IMO (ironicaly, Star Trek II music just started on my iTunes <_<)

1) II/III/IV (It's all one big, long movie :shifty:)

2) First Contact

3) VI

4) Generations

5) Nemisis

6) Insurrection

7) The Motion Picture

8) V

The big problem with V was a lot of shit that they meant to have in it got cut. There were budget restraints and tiem restraints. While shots usually took a couple hours to set up, on V they had to do it in a few minutes. That and the severly cut effects budge. Rumor had it that Sean Connery was in line to play Sybock but pulled out, hence the joke "Sha-Ka-Ree" (Sean Connery)