Pro Evolution Soccer 6 + Winning Eleven X

Dan

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, I've been playing for a good few solid hours in total now and I think I've finally summed up the balance to the game. :)

Still one or two things I'm not too hot on, but not a game ruiner. Like my international challenge. So we get France in the quarters and it seems fixed so that they win everytime. Still, there'll be a mighty roar from my bedroom when those frogs finally get it. :D

Edited by wilson316

Just had a brilliant match Australia(me) vs Argentina in the World Cup Finals.

Kewell scores in 2 minutes, Messi equalizes, Viduka with a tremendous volley, Crespo gets a penalty by diving and scores, just before the end Maxi Rodriguez headers it in to make it 3-2, then with just a few seconds to go Viduka goes for a desperate long range shot which takes a deflection off Cambiasso and goes in.

Penalties:

Viduka misses right off the bat as does Kewell so my two goalscorers fail to succeed, Schwarzer then pulled us back in saving two penalties and everyone takes a shot until its the keepers who step up.

Schwarzer scores.

Leo Franco gets his shot turned over the bar for the win:)

Master League is going much better now for me, got into a proper winning role where I played a more patient and passing game, rather than just looking to attack. Helped change alot of things, but one thing that's slightly annoying is that it seems almost impossible to win a penalty. Time after time I've been kicked at, taken down, thrown to the floor and all other sorts, yet get nothing what so ever. I don't like the referees to be too easy, but bloody hell it'd be nice to win a penalty here and there, certainly when you constantly get taken out bad.

Also, anybody know any good YOUNG goalkeepers that within time will improve really well? Looking for a good replacement, so many to choose from though.

The best way I win penalties is to use a nippy player like Messi or Cassano and run at the defender holding R2 instead of R1. He keeps backing off till you eventually catch up to him. Then use that R1 and R2 super dribble to knock the ball ahead of you at a 45 degree angle. If timed right, the defender still sticks his leg out and brings you down, often with red card results. Doesnt really work with big or slow players who won't go down. Plus if you don't time it right, you can run the risk of kicking the ball out for a goal kick embarrasingly.

Edited by wilson316

So what's the general feeling about this game now that it has been out for a while?

I'd give it a 4, maybe 5, out of 10 personally.

On the positive side:

* I like that they're clearly attempting to make it play like a real game of football, not a fantasy version

* Occasionally everything comes together, and it plays amazingly

* Some of the additions (cross from anywhere, quick free kicks, the improved slow dribble) are great

On the negative side:

* The AI is absolutely atrocious, especially in defence when you're controlling a midfielder. It's crap in every PES game, but they even advertised on the back of the box that they're fixed it this time around.

* Even the best goal keepers are terrible (I'm averaging one AI goal keeper own goal every 3 games!?!) at everything but close range shot stopping

* Some of the very basics of football are not done properly - even Sunday league teams can do a decent job of marking from corners, why can't International teams in PES? There's no excuse for six defenders to not be able to mark one striker when he's the only person in the box. Stuff like that drives me crazy, because it should be one of the fundamental parts of the AI.

* Passing seems a lot worse than PES4 (only had a few games of PES5, so I can't comment on that), it seems far less fluid to me.

* The computer seems to cheat a lot - why can Alan Stubbs keep up with Henry when he's an AI player, but not when he's controlled by the player?

I think the game has a lot of potential for PES7, but there's just so many really basic flaws in the AI that it puts me off.

Yes. The only major problems I have are that I win just about every tackle, but NEVER the ball, the CPU always 'stumbles on through' every sodding time, and when playing cup modes, you come across games where it seems the game has decided the CPU is winning in advance and it turns your players to slow idiots with the talent of a sunday league player, but thats it.

In particular, I've never encountered your problem with goalkeepers..... Weird.

Yeah, I've had that same problem with the computer walking through tackles as if they didn't exist, I just thought it was because the opposition was using the slow dribble, which I hardly ever use.

I don't think the goal keepers can be down to bad luck - I've had maybe 40 matches so far, and I've had at least 15 own goals where either the goal keeper has parried a shot but it's gone straight into the net, or the ball has bounced off him from a defender's clearance off him and gone in. Own goals seem to account for about a quarter of all the goals I've scored!

I'd be interested to know if you're doing something different from me with the AI. To give you an example, it usually happens when one of their midfielders gets the ball in the center circle and makes a direct run towards my goal. If I'm controlling the midfielder and am behind him, trying to catch up, my center halves (under AI control) will literally move out of his way, essentially marking the two corners of the "D" (even if no players are there), and basically let the midfielder have a free shot. It happens almost every game where the opposition has an attacker right behind the strikers. The other AI problem is at the other end - I'll burst into the box as a midfielder, go wide, turn to cross it...and nobody is in the box, even the main strikers are just standing outside the box like idiots. I could understand if they were waiting to give support a striker, but even guys like Crouch are standing there.

I dunno, maybe it's down to my particular style of play, but these seem like glaring problems that happen nearly every match. Just for the record BTW, this isn't a case of me not liking a game because I'm not good at it - I'm winning 90% of the matches I'm in.

I had the first problem with their midfielders bursting through at first, and the way I delt with it was to switch to controlling a centre back and stop them running away and/or bring the centre back to meet the attacking player. If the midfielder I was tracking back with is literally right behind the attacking player, then I'll control him a bit longer to try and catch-up.

I do get the crossing problem a bit too, but to be honest I don't always go for a lot of crosses. It seems to mostly happen when you attack quickly, if you putting a lot of pressure on them you seem to get more men in the box. I do see what you mean with that though, it can be an annoyance.

TBH since the days of Pro Evo 1, I've never been that great at attacking, going past players, and putting an opponents area under a lot of pressure, but I have found it a bit easier than some of my friends have to pass the ball around a bit and wait for space to open up. That may another reason why I don't get the first problem as much (with your defenders letting an attacker right through), because with stronger teams I just have men behind the ball and just try to pass it around when I have it rather than going 'balls-to-the-wall' attacking. Though it is slightly easier to take people on on this version, so I occasionally abandon my ultra-conservative tactics....

I've just been having a go on it at my cousins on his 360, and I've got to admit, theres definately glitches in the game.

The defence is pretty awful on the corners, in the 5 games I played on it, Bellamy scored 4 headers and half the time he had 3 men on him and he's one of the smallest players on the pitch!

The penalties using the analog stick are a bit too sensitive, in my Australia Vs Everton match, the first 5 penalties taken ALL hit the posts.

Overall it's on 'OK' game, but nowhere near as fixed as they claimed it would be.

i was able to play a bit today, i like what i see, i do not know about goalys not being able to hold the ball in their hands THAT often but it´s better than it was before were they just held on to every shot.

i just had a ball deflected by a goaly, it hit the bar, jumped up, hit the bar again and went back in the field into the hands of the goaly. :huh:

Has anyone played the 360 and PS2 versions? My brother has (we rented the 360 game over the weekend) and he says the PS2 version is much better. I wouldn't be surprised, because I really didn't like the game and much prefer this year's FIFA. Should there really be that much of a difference between the two platforms though?

Gutted, qualifying into the world cup after a very difficult group as England, My first match was against Argentina and I worked hard to pick up a 1-0 win with a header from Crouch going in.

Win the rest of the group and go into the second round against Greece, who annoy the fuck out of me with tackles eventually they get 3 players sent off and I win 3-0(3 goals in the last 20 minutes).

Quarter Finals I get Sweden and one of their players scores a piledriver early on, I equalise with Woodgate, and I win on penalties.

Semis I claw to a hard fought win again on penalties against Portugal(Ricardo got sent off FTW).

And then in the final, Brazil without their first choice goalkeeper struggle to keep themselves in the game, goes to penalty and Rooney and Crouch both miss to send us crashing out in the final hurdle:(

Has anyone got a good option file update so I can play as proper English teams?

There's a one that looks great available on eBay which includes the Bundesliga as well as all the kit edits and stuff. That involves either having to send off my memory card or buy a new one altogether.

As I have a Max Drive, I could just download one and put it on my memory card myself, if only I could find one. PESfan always used to have the best ones, but since they're friends with Konami, they aren't releasing the Premier League update now.

Has anyone got a good option file update so I can play as proper English teams?

There's a one that looks great available on eBay which includes the Bundesliga as well as all the kit edits and stuff. That involves either having to send off my memory card or buy a new one altogether.

As I have a Max Drive, I could just download one and put it on my memory card myself, if only I could find one. PESfan always used to have the best ones, but since they're friends with Konami, they aren't releasing the Premier League update now.

• 2 months later...